• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Man, 2 pages already? I've only watched 2 Death Battles! Anyway, according to the poll, Ridley is currently the 2nd-most wanted character for Smash. Unless you guys don't count Mewtwo as a newcomer.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
it was to john, who said he wouldn't buy the game if it was as bad as brawl. or at least that's what I got from it.
I don't buy bad games, that is what.

I'll just want for the mods to come to get it for like $5 in 2016 if the Wii U even lasts that long...

...which makes me question if Smash Wii U will even have a hacking community like Brawl has.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
I don't buy bad games, that is what.

I'll just want for the mods to come to get it for like $5 in 2016 if the Wii U even lasts that long...

...which makes me question if Smash Wii U will even have a hacking community like Brawl has.
The Wii U will certainly last long, and I can tell you it won't be a petty five dollars in 2016.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Okay, time for a hypothetical. Ridley is not the next character reveal. Would you say then that he's a stage hazard for sure?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The Wii U will certainly last long, and I can tell you it won't be a petty five dollars in 2016.
I don't know how long the Wii U will last; the Wii only made it 2012 because of region-locking; take that away and it died in 2010 or 2011, which means it lasted like 5 or 6 years. Given how the Wii U isn't selling at all, I'd say it's crazy now to predict the Wii U lasting any longer.

Also, I was referring to Smash Wii U costing $5 (and I was thinking of it as a used game).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Okay, time for a hypothetical. Ridley is not the next character reveal. Would you say then that he's a stage hazard for sure?

Aww... Oh well. Looks like I'll be taking a smashboard vacation 'til the ****storm dies down. (checks anyway.)

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I wouldn't given how there aren't really any good nearby times to reveal him, and there are plenty of other possible times for a different character to be revealed. (Toon Link, Mewtwo, and a DK rep)

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
I don't know how long the Wii U will last; the Wii only made it 2012 because of region-locking; take that away and it died in 2010 or 2011, which means it lasted like 5 or 6 years. Given how the Wii U isn't selling at all, I'd say it's crazy now to predict the Wii U lasting any longer.

Also, I was referring to Smash Wii U costing $5 (and I was thinking of it as a used game).
Maybe the Wii U isn't selling because none of the big games have released for it? This is a discussion for another time anyways.

D

Deleted member

No. It just means we'll have to wait longer. For all we know, Ridley is in the game and he's an unlockable.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
well, i would say ridley's EVEN MORE possible for a playable character if he's still not shown as a hazard in a month or so.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I just asked to see what you guys thought of the "appear at any second" thing. But hey, if it's one thing that this whole thing proves about Ridley fans, it's that we're resilient.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Sakurai is making this to be like Sakurai's dramatics in his sexual routine with his cat Brawl match as Ganondorf: tease them, tease them, tease them, go soft, go soft, go soft, big tease, small tease, small tease, small tease... BOOM!!!! Your face explodes!!!

So yeah, I am actually expecting that to happen. Sakurai loves this kind of high drama.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Maybe the Wii U isn't selling because none of the big games have released for it? This is a discussion for another time anyways.
The Wii U isn't selling because it's been poorly marketed, it doesn't have a clear target audience, NEW SMB is overrated as heck, Nintendo Land doesn't have that much appeal as Wii Sports, region-locking is stupid, people doubt Nintendo's ability to make a good online infrastructure and gameplay, bad console timing, and oh, none of the games on the console are "must buy games."

The only games that IMO could quantify as "must buy games" are Super Mario generic World, DKC Tropical Freeze (it will be a small version of this), Mario Kart random generic number, and Smash Wii U. We haven't seen anything else that looks that good, and honestly, I doubt Zelda would move that many units (again), especially after how lackluster Skyward Sword was with its' gameplay and its' sales.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Whether or not Ridley is in, you have to credit Sakurai on his ability to create hype out of almost nothing.
Seriously, a picture of a new level with a small comment and a giant discussion erupts, around a character with so much controversy.

But yes ill be excited when we finally figure out what his comment really means.
I know hes doing it on purpose and I still cant get over it.

D

Deleted member

I just asked to see what you guys thought of the "appear at any second" thing. But hey, if it's one thing that this whole thing proves about Ridley fans, it's that we're resilient.
Hard to say. Right now, it's best to apply a 50/50 stance towards the quote. It could be a stage hazard, but it could also mean that Sakurai is putting a big tease for a playable Ridley.

Remember that most people though Ness was cut form Brawl because of the "up until now" statement. We shouldn't be applying definitives at this moment like a lot of this community is doing.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
The Wii U isn't selling because it's been poorly marketed, it doesn't have a clear target audience, NEW SMB is overrated as heck, Nintendo Land doesn't have that much appeal as Wii Sports, region-locking is stupid, people doubt Nintendo's ability to make a good online infrastructure and gameplay, bad console timing, and oh, none of the games on the console are "must buy games."

The only games that IMO could quantify as "must buy games" are Super Mario generic World, DKC Tropical Freeze (it will be a small version of this), Mario Kart random generic number, and Smash Wii U. We haven't seen anything else that looks that good, and honestly, I doubt Zelda would move that many units (again), especially after how lackluster Skyward Sword was with its' gameplay and its' sales.
SS was lackluster? I really enjoyed that game.

masterluigi1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2623-2545
I personally loved Other M and It was my favorite Metroid game but even if you hate that game I don't get whats wrong the other M character designs.

Ridley for example looks more muscular with a proportional sized head as opposed to
in the other games, he looked anorexic with an oversized head.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Ridley's legs look stupid and his face looks ugly. Oh and pretty much all the characters personally were terrible; like Metroid Prime 3, but instead of that crap being in the background it is all up in your face.
It's sales were not up to what was expected, especially in Japan.

And I thought it was a mediocre game. The gameplay was fairly stale, and everything (sans the bosses, the controls, some dungeons, and some weapons) felt like they had been done before and done better. Honestly, it continues a downward trend in 3D Zelda game quality set by Twilight Princess, which sadly includes said game having no real replay value.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Yes, apparently Skyward Sword is the Devil of Zelda Games, and Other M is Satan in general.

Ridley's legs look stupid and his face looks ugly. Oh and pretty much all the characters personally were terrible; like Metroid Prime 3, but instead of that crap being in the background it is all up in your face.

And I thought it was a mediocre game. The gameplay was fairly stale, and everything (sans the bosses, the controls, some dungeons, and some weapons) felt like they had been done before and done better. Honestly, it continues a downward trend in 3D Zelda game quality set by Twilight Princess, which sadly includes said game having no real replay value.
I very much disagree with every pixel in your post, but this isn't the place for this kind of argument.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Ridley for example looks more muscular with a proportional sized head as opposed to
in the other games, he looked anorexic with an oversized head.
It's not the Ridley we're used to.

His face didn't looks nothing like his original one.

And there are random spikes coming out of his arms and legs, it's quite different from the Ridley most fans are used to.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Geez, woke up to over 400 messages here. I wonder if Sakurai just wants to humble Ridley fans since we've probably been the biggest assholes in the speculation scene, lol.

Also annoying to see people jumping on Chrono. YOU GUYS JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND.

If the worst happens, I really don't want to see anyone here turn into Tom Nook or Toon Link supporters. "There must be more than one Tom Nook if you can visit him in different towns." "There are different Toon Links depending on the time line." "It could just be another clone of Ridley."

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

My only personal problems with SS were:

A water temple with hardly any water enemies. (and the difficulty was a bit disappointing, but at laast not as freak out worthy as the maze-like Water Temple and Lakebed Temple of OoT and TP respectively)

The lack of exploration, there were no hidden grottos or caves, no optional areas on the surface, you can't visit the surface at night, and the other islands in the sky didn't make up for any of this.

And I personally thought it could have used a few more enemies, personally. And we also didn't need a second fire dungeon.

The plot was great in my opinion though, as were the enemies we got, the dungeons were all good and fun, and the bosses and puzzels overall had good difficulty.

That aside, I'd like to keep the topic on Ridley.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Question for the tried and true Ridley supporters. If he is a stage hazard here, will we stop supporting him for future Smash games?
Part of me would probably always support him, just I'd know for sure that it wouldn't mean ****, like some of the current Geno supporters or something.

Though expected, I applaud you for "fighting da power" Chrono. Some may defend Sakurai to the death on why making Ridley a stage hazard was the "right choice" like the common sheep they are, but the real people here will always remain true to themselves. And I like how some who wouldn't normally bother arguing about Ridley's size and stuff (let alone in this thread) are doing it now...

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Reminds me of just after E3 when John and others were throwing fits over WFT and how her being in meant that no more highly requested characters would get in.

Good times.
I wasn't as mad as I was confused and amused. Don't you remember me leading the trolling of augusto, Manly, and Manly's brother Donut=???

Doing that literally made me go from "Wow, this wasn't a bad reveal, but it was bad timing" to "this is amazing, but more hype should be on Mega Man still."
Young Horsetail in particular went all CRAWLING IN MY SKIIIIIIIN when Wii Fit Trainer was revealed.
I think you are selling his rant short.

Also, Hoots' rant was amazing... FREAKING AMAZING!!!!

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
If the worst happens, I really don't want to see anyone here turn into Tom Nook or Toon Link supporters. "There must be more than one Tom Nook if you can visit him in different towns." "There are different Toon Links depending on the time line." "It could just be another clone of Ridley."
To be fair, it could easily be a different Toonie, especially since the one in the stage is a direct model rip, and hasn't been smoothed out or stylized like the other characters. Alternatively, we could be getting a different child Link.

Don't jump all over me now. I don't think it's likely, and I've accepted that I'll probably have to find a different main for Smash 4. But the Toon Link arguments are vaguely decent, as opposed to Tom Nook or multiple Ridleys.

It looks MUCH better though
Um.

No.

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
Ridley not being playable is the wrong choice.
Chrono going on and on about how Smash Bros. has wronged him is also the wrong choice, however.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I know ridley is really cool, but don't give up on smash if he's a stage hazard.

I know I'm not.
I'll give up on Sakurai making "the right" character choices if that is the case.

Personally I am getting a little bored of Sakurai's direction of the series, actually. Notice he peaked at the second game. About 10 years after his first game's release he began going backwards, much like what happened to him with Kirby. And look at Kirby now: the franchise's newest games are probably its' best, and all of those games have happened since Sakurai left. Perhaps the same thing could be true with Smash.

If Smash Wii U and Smash 3DS aren't a noticeable peak from Brawl with Namco Bandai developing them then I think Smash Bros. could use a new creative director.

Top Bottom