• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Skyblade's Predictions:
There will be a general Nintendo Direct on the 20th of August. It will show off a newcomer, but not Ridley.
There will be a Smash Bros. Direct on the 3rd of September. It will show off Ridley and Mewtwo.

Also, I had a dream last night where a Ridley trailer was announced, but I didn't see it. I just logged in here and saw everyone talking about it, but it wouldn't load. Even my brain is trolling me about Ridley.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I would be ok with this

Shadow Ridley could transform into Kraid who wields a magic paintbrush, and wants to litter all over Zebes
Shadow Ridley's Final Smash: Steiner Shadow MATH!!!!

He measures shadows to see how big characters are without any relations to how high up above they are or how many light sources are around people!!!

Because guys! Being around lava that illuminates light doesn't matter!!!

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Skyblade's Predictions:
There will be a general Nintendo Direct on the 20th of August. It will show off a newcomer, but not Ridley.
There will be a Smash Bros. Direct on the 3rd of September. It will show off Ridley and Mewtwo.

Also, I had a dream last night where a Ridley trailer was announced, but I didn't see it. I just logged in here and saw everyone talking about it, but it wouldn't load. Even my brain is trolling me about Ridley.
We all have untapped psychic powers that are in the form of visions by dreaming... Keep that dream close in mind.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'll have you know I'm working on a way to bottle @ Johnknight1 Johnknight1 's optimism as a one spray cure all for negative nancies. It's pure genius.

Also I have a finglonger.
You can't contain the undeniable coolness of Poo the randomness the sheer randomness of the Duck Hunt Dog the higher authority Geno serves the looseness of the Grooseness the unkillable nature of Ridley!!!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
It IS canon! All Metroid games are canon! I make a joke and then I get flak for making said joke? I KNOW Samus had a terrible character, but I don't think it's ruined as she didn't really have any character anywhere other than the canonical manga.
And Fusion and... yeah. She pretty much only had a personality in two games really, so didn't really ruin her character for me, though I can see how Other M ruined the way others perceived her at least.

I remember hearing Sakamoto saying that it was non canon, but I may be misinformed
He never said that period. People just took what he said about the Primes out of proportion which led to others like yourself being misinformed.

Funny how a sidestory is prefferable to the main story.
Eh, that's kind of subjective and depends on the person really. A lot of the oldest Metroid fans prefer the sidescroller style shoot 'em ups over the 1st person games, barring Other M usually but yeah.

Ok time to try this splitting up the post thing so my response is more coherent

Your assumption is correct, I didn't really know what to think of it before.

I think it's an interesting idea, definitely unique, but I'm not sure if specifically I'd like it. It feels like the kind of move I'd never use correctly. If it were one of his custom moves, with the other options fairly different, I think it'd be cool. But if we have (and all evidence points towards it so far) Roidley as the Ridley in sm4sh, I don't think it would be farfetched to imagine that as one of his moves. However, I still like my moveset better because I made it xD (if you haven't seen it, it's here in the analysis I wrote in the Week in Review #29)

I'm actually interested on hearing your thoughts on it, since I tried to focus on aerial game play without giving any gliding mechanics, aerial smashes, or gimmicks in that particular direction.
Huh. Well, some of the post had an interesting take on the Sakurai teasing thus far. I know it can be interpreted many different ways, but don't remember if I had seen it be talked about like that before.

Onto the moveset though, let's see... With your Ridley's forward smash, think it'd be kinda neat if charging it resulted in him biting the opponent a little longer (animation-wise), to show how it does more damage when compared to the regular f-smash.

The risky aerial throw as part of the command grab was kind of a new one for me, so props on that. Speaking of throw moves though, I guess you didn't give him regular grab moves (u-throw, d-throw, f-throw, b-throw) because of what he already had going for him with the aerial ones? Would make sense then, as it'd set him apart from the throw game of all the other characters.

But overall, yeah. Pretty solid balanced moveset. Man, still haven't made a moveset of him myself since the Meta-Ridley one I did pre-Brawl, which would be broken to have now with gliding being removed, etc. Though I did include Meta-Ridley's wings having a "burning" effect if he hit the opponent with them (since they looked like they were practically made of fire/on fire), in addition to his missiles and bombs from Prime that would differ from Samus's in functionality. Good times, good times.

And I'll take note on what you said on Battleblock, though I already started it some a few/couple weeks ago or so.

Fusion had Ice Beam, which was unattainable until...the final boss fight. Not a SUPER MEGA DEATH CHRIST weapon but still easily the most powerful beam in that game. Other M doesn't have one because it's Other M. Power Bombs were technically used in the training sequence in the opening, so I don't count that one.

Also, Other M, after quietly replaying it myself (to also pass time, a la @ Phaazoid Phaazoid ) really shows off Ridley's ground game. He really is up in-your-face when he's on the ground. As much as I love the Primes, I feel like they really got Ridley's ground game well in Other M. I still believe as a fighter, he'd have to have some type of aerial advantage more than a ground one. He would be a perfect pick (or counterpick, if you will) to be the Yin to Little Mac's Yang.
I know about the Ice Beam in Fusion, but I meant Fusion should've had an ultimate final weapon that was unique to the game, like the "rainbow"/hyper beam in Super Metroid. With already having ice missiles most of the game which were about the same thing (in addition to the diffusion missile upgrade), getting the ice beam at the end on top of it wasn't something to be super ecstatic about, if ya get my drift. Same with finally being able to use power bombs by the end of Other M. A new ultimate weapon could've even made the SA-X fight more engaging like Mother Brain in Super Metroid.

But MAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...
SHOKIO CALLED US SUPPORTERS THE N WORD! :sadeyes:
But dude, Shokio's black, so that makes the N-word usage okay whereas if a white guy like me used it it'd be racist, mirite?

Maybe he used the N-word in a "brotha" kind of sense like some black people do when talking to each other. IDK, but I generally don't care what he says about the fanbase.

Zynux

Smash Lord
Well guys. This is it.

I don't usually feel reveals. But I feel it now. And when I feel it, I don't lie (and neither do my hips)

We're getting Ridley really soon. Most likely playable, but there's always a chance of Sakurai pulling a double whammy on us.

I'm feeling next week even.

If it's the week after, the 26th (my bday) would be a great day Sakurai.

Hype?
I'm probably sounding like a broken recording now, but I am confident Sakurai isn't going to let his teasing go to waste. I can't imagine this ending with a PoTD showing Ridley was nothing special (therefore, pointless to hype about) or just being completely ignored, allowing fans to find the answers themselves when the game releases. It all-around completely counter-intuitive unless it leads to something big.

He will have to address Ridley soon (in a video, most likely). What about him, whether playable or boss hazard, is so special that he is alluded to twice but then forgotten for a whole year, and yet the Yellow Devil was thrown out there for all to see? It doesn't add up.

Please, let's stay civil about it. If we rub it in their face as much as they did back in April, then we are no better than the detractors, themselves.
Make no mistake; no matter what happens the outcome will be the same: people will launch vicious verbal attacks to vindicate their opinions. There will be huge amounts of Salt and immaturity from both sides.

This is why you don't act like an ass and think your subjective opinions are facts, and completely disregard others opinions even if you don't agree with it, and keep other options open.

After we find out the roster, many will have to eat crow. Whether it's the Supporters or the Detractors, only time will tell.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I know about the Ice Beam in Fusion, but I meant Fusion should've had an ultimate final weapon that was unique to the game, like the "rainbow"/hyper beam in Super Metroid. With already having ice missiles most of the game which were about the same thing (in addition to the diffusion missile upgrade), getting the ice beam at the end on top of it wasn't something to be super ecstatic about, if ya get my drift. Same with finally being able to use power bombs by the end of Other M. A new ultimate weapon could've even made the SA-X fight more engaging like Mother Brain in Super Metroid.
I think the Ice Beam does that fairly well, actually.

Nothing is going to top the Mother Brain fight. There was too much build up, that heart-wrenching scene with the Metroid, and then you get to lay waste to the $%!& who killed your baby Metroid. It's just not going to be matched.

But in overall terms, I think the Ice Beam did fairly well. You get to the Omega Metroid, and you are at a stalemate. You can avoid its hits, but can't do anything to it. Then you get to absorb the SA-X, who has been plaguing you this entire game, and lay claim to your old suit colors, and the mighty Ice Beam, and lay waste to the Omega Metroid. How could you improve that?

AlexTLW

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexTLW
3DS FC
0688-5455-7010
I'm not detracting it. I'm simply asking if people think that he'd be a bit ridiculous given his large proportion, long arms, ability to fly / glide (most likely triple jump), ability to shoot fireballs, etc.

If he was in the game, do you think he would lose any of those? Do you think he'd be shrunk down to bowsers size? Would he be able to fly? That's what I'm getting at here.

Never did I say he SHOULD be a boss. I asked if people think that given his abilities, would be ruined as a player character due to limitations or would he be SSS tier.

Well lets be honest, His arms are not long enough to give him OP tilt moves or grabs or anything like that, that is just doubting Sakurai and namcos ability's to balance out the game.
Kirby, Charizard and others have unlimited flight in a couple of their games and they limit their ability's in smash so their not op.
fireballs are like his signature move so I really don't see whats wrong with that.

and no absolutely not. It would not ruin his character or unbalance the game in any way.

Last edited:

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
I agree on that stance in that it's not hype-worthy (possible bad pun unintendo) but it still wrecks. I have no idea what else they would have done for a final weapon though. Bring back Hyper Beam, seeing as the SA-X was basically your fully upgraded suit from SM? I would have a hard time coming up with a new, unique death ray, if you will. Besides, Fusion's ending ranks 2nd only to SM for endings in the series for me, I thought it was AWESOME.

If Peach can float, our purple space dragon can fly. Long live RIDLEY

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Huh. Well, some of the post had an interesting take on the Sakurai teasing thus far. I know it can be interpreted many different ways, but don't remember if I had seen it be talked about like that before.

Onto the moveset though, let's see... With your Ridley's forward smash, think it'd be kinda neat if charging it resulted in him biting the opponent a little longer (animation-wise), to show how it does more damage when compared to the regular f-smash.

The risky aerial throw as part of the command grab was kind of a new one for me, so props on that. Speaking of throw moves though, I guess you didn't give him regular grab moves (u-throw, d-throw, f-throw, b-throw) because of what he already had going for him with the aerial ones? Would make sense then, as it'd set him apart from the throw game of all the other characters.

But overall, yeah. Pretty solid balanced moveset. Man, still haven't made a moveset of him myself since the Meta-Ridley one I did pre-Brawl, which would be broken to have now with gliding being removed, etc. Though I did include Meta-Ridley's wings having a "burning" effect if he hit the opponent with them (since they looked like they were practically made of fire/on fire), in addition to his missiles and bombs from Prime that would differ from Samus's in functionality. Good times, good times.

And I'll take note on what you said on Battleblock, though I already started it some a few/couple weeks ago or so.
Yeah, that was kinda my own view on the teasing thing so far. I didn't know there was a picture that exactly captured my sentiments from the shadow direct until I saw that, and it was perfect.

As for the moveset, I'll admit, I didn't put as much thought into the standard attacks as I might have, I was more focused on trying to get the balance of the air game right with the specials. That seemed like the important part of the moveset to me, what made it stand out. Smash attacks are cool, but interchangeable between sets (usually) That also applies to his normal throws (which exist, the side b move would just always lead to an aerial throw) which I didn't think out, because the deadline for the post was coming up, xD. Maybe I'll throw some of those together later. They wouldn't be as good as his aerial throws, though, to stay in line with the movest. Maybe you can't combo out of any of them, or something.

I get to make an over 9000 joke this post too. I usually don't watch how many likes I have but when it gets close to such an even number my OCD kicks in and I can't help it. Thanks peeps ^.^

Skyblade's Predictions:

This would be such a total sucker punch

which means I can totally see it coming from Sakurai

which means it's never gonna happen

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
UGH! IT'S SELFISH BEHAVEOR LIKE THIS THAT MAKES ME QUESTION MY CONVERSION! :mad:

Seriously, have you got no sympathy? Yes, the detractors have been like bullies to you guys for they have attacked you for having an opinion. Ridley's inclusion should be a good wake-up call to reality, but to smother it in their face would be adding insult to injury. Do they deserve it? Probably so, but leave that to Karma, and don't mess up your own by bearing these grudges! Think about how the rest will feel for a change, and choose your actions wisely, or you likely won't get the ending you've wanted for fifteen years.
Do I make myself clear?! :demon:
I hesitantly agree. I love me some bragging rights as much as the next person... but in the case of Ridley, I'd probably be WAY too hyped to even care about the detractors. Besides... if you REALLY want to get under their skin? Don't bother with words - main Ridley. Flaunt your skills online. And kick some *** as the giant purple space pirate.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Well, having finished Other M, to occupy myself I just installed a gamecube emulator, downloaded roms of Metroid prime 1/2 and FE path of Radiance, and set up my wired 360 controller to work with the emulator. Time to engage Ridley for the first time all over again. (MP1 was the first time I ever fought Ridley)

If this doesn't hold me over to Sm4sh nothing will

Last edited:

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
Well, having finished Other M, to occupy myself I just installed a gamecube emulator, downloaded roms of Metroid prime 1/2 and FE path of Radiance, and set up my wired 360 controller to work with the emulator. Time to engage Ridley for the first time all over again. (MP1 was the first time I ever fought Ridley)

You ever play Radiant Dawn? That'll take up some time. Especially on hard mode.

The Metroid Primes don't take much game
time to get through if you've played 'em before.

Last edited:

RidleyDX

Smash Ace

PC/Ridley master race :troll:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
You ever play FE Radiant Dawn? That'll take up some time. Especially on hard mode.
I have not, actually. But I never got further than like chapter 8 in Path of Radiance before my friend decided to take his game back so I need to go through that first.

Also I just downloaded Mario Sunshine, Twilight Princess, Kirby's Air Ride, and Starfox Assault.

this may take awhile

PC/Ridley master race :troll:
This will be the first time I've fought Ridley on a computer. Time to pop my PC's Ridley cherry.

Last edited:

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
Also I just downloaded Mario Sunshine, Twilight Princess, Kirby's Air Ride, and Starfox Assault.
Literally my entire childhood right there. Just add Pikmin 2, Wind Waker and Melee. Good times, indeed.

Also. Radiant Dawn is hard as hell to find for under 60 dollars.

Edit: Oh yeah. Ridley.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Literally my entire childhood right there. Just add Pikmin 2, Wind Waker and Melee. Good times, indeed.

Also. Radiant Dawn is hard as hell to find for under 60 dollars.

Edit: Oh yeah. Ridley.
Actually grabbed those too. And a bunch more. It's really addictive. My gamecube library was huge so it's hard to not have sticky fingers here @.@

I'm just wondering if I should buy a Gcube usb adapter for 20$ to make the experience more genuine or just suck it up and use my wired xbox controller

not sure atm

fighting Ridley with a 360 controller does sound cool, though. might have to do this.

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
Actually grabbed those too. And a bunch more. It's really addictive. My gamecube library was huge so it's hard to not have sticky fingers here @.@

I'm just wondering if I should buy a Gcube usb adapter for 20$ to make the experience more genuine or just suck it up and use my wired xbox controller

not sure atm

fighting Ridley with a 360 controller does sound cool, though. might have to do this.
If you use an Xbox controller on a Gamecube game that requires precise pressure on the trigger like Mario Sunshine or a racing game, does it work correctly? Just curious.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
If you use an Xbox controller on a Gamecube game that requires precise pressure on the trigger like Mario Sunshine or a racing game, does it work correctly? Just curious.
I have no idea, lol. The controller options looked really advanced. I'll check when I play a game that requires it xD

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

You should download custom robo too. So far I've been enjoying it. I'm not sure how the Primes will play on a PC though. I'd probably be driven insane by the fact that I can't just use my mouse to look around.
Well, I guess the Trilogy version may be capable of doing that, but it would probably also lag more.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
You should download custom robo too. So far I've been enjoying it. I'm not sure how the Primes will play on a PC though. I'd probably be driven insane by the fact that I can't just use my mouse to look around.
Well, I guess the Trilogy version may be capable of doing that, but it would probably also lag more.
The Wii U GameCube controller adapter plugs into USB ports. Give it a week, and someone will create a PC driver. So you don't have to worry about the Mouse/Keyboard thing.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Path of Radiance is surprisingly good, I usually hate strategy games but Path of Radiance easily ended up in at least my top 5 games.

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
So I just made a video of what's going to happen to the internet when Ridley is revealed. (Had to resort to ****ty Window Live Movie maker to edit btw)

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
So I just made a video of what's going to happen to the internet when Ridley is revealed. (Had to resort to ****ty Window Live Movie maker to edit btw)
Oh dear. So that's what happens when you leave a spelling mitsake in the splash text.
But yeah, pretty much this. Chaos will rule the lands.

Last edited:

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
How forgiving are the comments? I'm too lazy to look.
The only one there says:
'It says so right in the bible. "There shall be no Ridley to compete in thy super smash brothers"'
Nothing out of the ordinary.

I totally didn't mysteriously disappear for a couple of weeks fearing there would be Ridley news I didn't want to hear about.

So.. is the hype for the 20th still real?

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
I think instead of rubbing it in people's faces, I will just listen to some Queen songs all day once Ridley is confrmed.

Smash_Handle69

Smash Apprentice
I think I'm gonna be at school all day the day Ridley's confirmed. So I guess I'm just gonna do schoolwork then... And cry tears of joy at Sakurai while laughing uncontrollably.

So basically it'll be just like any other day of my life.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Im sorry, but there is NO WAY Im going to resist laughing at the haters for as long the internet exists if he gets confirmed as playable.

But maybe there will be some good left in me and won't do it, I'd probably just use Ridley online every once in a while.

But before that, Ridley has to actually become playable, so Im going to stop thinking about it...

Top Bottom