• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Indeed. His ground attacks all look really cool, especially when he spreads his wings. Also...I think your attraction to Ridley is starting to get unhealthy.
.3. Oh, maybe....but I don't care if it is unhealthy! I'm happy about it at least! :happysheep:

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
I really hope its impa instead of one shot ghirahim, too many one shots in this smash...
I remember many people saying similar statements about Brawl's roster. When Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U was announced people automatically assumed that Ike and Lucario would be cut, or would be replaced with more relevant representation from their franchises. As it would turn out, they are here to stay.

Regardless of that, I would like to see Impa as a playable character and her reoccurring appearances in The Legend of Zelda perhaps make her more deserving than Ghirahim. But I like them both regardless and I'm happy either way.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Pending
:ness2::jigglypuff::popo::mewtwopm::falco::ganondorf::metaknight::wario::lucas::rob::wolf:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I remember many people saying similar statements about Brawl's roster. When Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U was announced people automatically assumed that Ike and Lucario would be cut, or would be replaced with more relevant representation from their franchises. As it would turn out, they are here to stay.

Regardless of that, I would like to see Impa as a playable character and her reoccurring appearances in The Legend of Zelda perhaps make her more deserving than Ghirahim. But I like them both regardless and I'm happy either way.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Pending
:ness2::jigglypuff::popo::mewtwopm::falco::ganondorf::metaknight::wario::lucas::rob::wolf:
What I mean by one shot is characters who have been in one game who dont really deserve their spot yet like Palutena, Robin, Lucina, Greninja and Wii Fit Trainer. I think they are permanent now in smash but they are still 1 shots. We have honestly had too many reveals like this and not enough important picks.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Speaking design-wise, do you think Sakurai will have his teeth sticking out like they were on his Other M design or more like Zero Mission?
I prefer teeth sticking out. Makes him look more awesome and he always had them sticking out - in NES Metroid, Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, Mertoid Prime 3, Other M, Super Smash Bros 64, Super Smash Bros Melee, Super Smash Bros Brawl, etc. Well, except for Zero Mission. At least Roidley's doesn't gives him huge overbite or whatever its called. ZM head with those teeth would be nice.

I think Ridley on the ground should be as good/bad as Bowser was in Melee/Brawl (where he was better?) with few slow, but strong attacks with good range and with few fast attacks that deal low damage, but in the air...very close to Meta Knight, but with a bit slower attacks i guess. As for how he should stand, i think he should stand like he does in Zero Mission and Super Metroid instead of like he does in Prime 3 and Other M because that would fit better for crawling.

What I mean by one shot is characters who have been in one game who dont really deserve their spot yet like Palutena, Robin, Lucina, Greninja and Wii Fit Trainer. I think they are permanent now in smash but they are still 1 shots. We have honestly had too many reveals like this and not enough important picks.
Palutena appeared in 3 KI games, so, she is not a one-shot character. And she is important enough in all of them. Hades and Dark Pit, for example, are one-shot characters and one of them is literally a clone. Wii Fit Trainer isn't either...i think...while Greninja will appear in next Pokemon games, just like every other Pokemon that appeared in a new generation. The only characters in Pokemon franchise that CAN be one-shots are humans and maybe not generic pokemons that belong to someone. Especially KI Uprising...i guess...never played it.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Guys, get back to Ridley. There is no need for Zelda talks here. Even if it is about the Trophy Quiz Theory, it stranded way too far from that to still be considered on-topic.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Lucina is also appearing in Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem.

Personally, I don't like the teeth sticking out. I like them showing, yes. Whenever his mouth is open, which it often is. But I want them covered when he closes it.

Also, I kind of want his screech from Fusion.

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Guys, get back to Ridley. There is no need for Zelda talks here. Even if it is about the Trophy Quiz Theory, it stranded way too far from that to still be considered on-topic.

Yeah who cares about Zelda? It doesn't need anymore reps. Metroid, however, obviously needs more and that's why we're here.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Then that should go for every character.
Yeah, though in Ridley's case the visible battle damage would be the holes in his wings shtick like in Other M. Always liked that kind of detail, like with Batman's cape randomly getting more holes in it in the Arkham games. Doubt there would ever be the green reptile blood in Smash however, even though it was something Roidley had a lot of in the source material.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I think Ridley on the ground should be as good/bad as Bowser was in Melee/Brawl (where he was better?) with few slow, but strong attacks with good range and with few fast attacks that deal low damage, but in the air...very close to Meta Knight, but with a bit slower attacks i guess. As for how he should stand, i think he should stand like he does in Zero Mission and Super Metroid instead of like he does in Prime 3 and Other M because that would fit better for crawling.
Bowser was competitively better in Brawl.

Hope that helps with your Ridley moveset if you're making one.

Last edited:

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
Okay. I get what you're saying. Although to be fair, Palutena has appeared in every Kid Icarus game (a grand total of three games in the franchise, but she's been there consistently none-the-less). And knowing how Pokemon games are accumulative, Greninja will never leave the franchise so it doesn't really matter when it debuted.

Speaking design-wise, do you think Sakurai will have his teeth sticking out like they were on his Other M design or more like Zero Mission?
Zero Suit Samus' design in this installment isn't exactly as it appeared in Metroid: Other M. It has some proportions from Zero Mission that were carried over into Brawl. In addition, she is now equipped with those controversial boots.

If Ridley will be playable, I wouldn't be surprised if he had borrowed elements from multiple games, not just Other M. Perhaps with the overbite-esch facial structure of his snout featured in Zero Mission but with a smaller head in proportion to his body like in Other M, with his upper teeth poking out from his mouth as well. I imagine it being similar to crocodile.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I think that's fair reasoning, but you really think that Lucina and Greninja are permanents?

This calls for, MORE RIDLEY.

Also WFT had 3 games: Wii Fit, Wii Fit Plus, Wii Fit U.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I mean, he is Ridley. So I can't blame you. Let us dance for his praise, and his inclusion into Sm4sh.

I think it would be something like this:

and funny enough...the song this guy dances in the gif, is one of the songs I listen to when I draw my Catrin Ridley

B2A571_0D923900C4132_000.gif

I can't wait to at least learn 2D animation to make Ridley dance like that...

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Bowser was competitively better in Brawl.

Hope that helps with your Ridley moveset if you're making one.
Oh...then it would be fine if Ridley on the ground would be as good/bad as Bowser. And Kirby is 2nd worst? At least that Pichu f***er is the worst. Always hated him in Melee. Fortunately, he didn't returned in Brawl.
It does helps.
I think that's fair reasoning, but you really think that Lucina and Greninja are permanents?

Greninja is permanent. All of the pokemons that at least appeared once appear in next generations...right?

Anyway, i greninja'd someone!

Last edited:
Yeah who cares about Zelda? It doesn't need anymore reps. Metroid, however, obviously needs more and that's why we're here.
I care about Zelda, it being one of my most beloved video game franchises. But let's get back to Ridley.

Chances of Ridley being a starter character? I personally think he'll be an unlockable character, just curious if you guys think him getting revealed before the game comes out will make him a possible starter.

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
I care about Zelda, it being one of my most beloved video game franchises. But let's get back to Ridley.

Chances of Ridley being a starter character? I personally think he'll be an unlockable character, just curious if you guys think him getting revealed before the game comes out will make him a possible starter.
To unlock him you probably have to fight 20 matches on Pyrosphere or with Samus. Something like that. Or it could be something air-related. I hope the "checklist" comes back in this game. I always liked it in Kirby Air Ride and Brawl.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Prolly. Awakening was supposed to be a grand finale of sorts, from what I heard. And Pokemon breed like rabbits, but unless another BAMF Water Starter shows up, Greninja ain't going anywhere.

Point is, Ridley will be here to stay.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I think its quite possible that the former "switchable" characters and clones will be the unlockables. Namely, Zero Suit Samus might be unlockable and Ridley be a starter. Either way Ridley will most likely be announced before release.

Prolly. Awakening was supposed to be a grand finale of sorts, from what I heard. And Pokemon breed like rabbits, but unless another BAMF Water Starter shows up, Greninja ain't going anywhere.

Point is, Ridley will be here to stay.
Awakening isn't any sort of "grand finale." They did put their all into Awakening, as if Awakening didn't sell well it MAY have been the last game in the franchise, but that's no longer the case. Awakening saved the franchise. Its also highly likely that Awakening might get a sequel starring Lucina.

Either way, even if Lucina or Greninja weren't sticking around (they will), there's literally no reason for Ridley to go anywhere once he's playable. He's still the main antagonist of the Metroid series, and that's not likely to change any time soon.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
One of the ONLY reasons I used to be very iffy on Ridley being downsized was his neck. Seriously that thing looks like a disjointed toothpick in several of his designs. It looked fine when he was huge but resized was weird. Meta Ridley made his neck a bit thicker, and Omega Ridley actually looked pretty good. It's when I saw Other M Ridley is when I was like...YES this can work! Of course...I believe even if Sakurai used a different version of Ridley (that wasn't Other M) he could probably get it to work.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Oh...then it would be fine if Ridley on the ground would be as good/bad as Bowser. And Kirby is 2nd worst? At least that Pichu f***er is the worst. Always hated him in Melee. Fortunately, he didn't returned in Brawl.

Greninja is permanent. All of the pokemons that at least appeared once appear in next generations...right?

Anyway, i greninja'd someone!
Um, yeah, it was a real shame...

By permanent I meant permanent in Smash Bros (like Mario and Samus). I bet when Ridley gets in, he'll be permanent. I mean, come on. He's a staple of the Metroid series, he just has to be a permanent Smasher.

And nice job.:4greninja:

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
One of the ONLY reasons I used to be very iffy on Ridley being downsized was his neck. Seriously that thing looks like a disjointed toothpick in several of his designs. It looked fine when he was huge but resized was weird. Meta Ridley made his neck a bit thicker, and Omega Ridley actually looked pretty good. It's when I saw Other M Ridley is when I was like...YES this can work! Of course...I believe even if Sakurai used a different version of Ridley (that wasn't Other M) he could probably get it to work.
solution, make neck thicker and less long

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
You know what I've been thinking?
Alot of "Reptilian" Villians have been getting a Skeleton "Form" through the years.
Not specifically a "Form" Form, but we've seen them performing actions in a Skeletal State.
Dry Bowser (driving Motorbikes like a bawz) and Melting-In-Lava-butstillagoodguy-Crocomire (SCREEEEEEEEECH) just to name a few.
So what would Ridley look like as a Living Skeleton?
...Probably terrifying yet Badass as crap.
...Also Nightmare Fuel.
Get on it, Nintendo. Make the new 3D Metroid game have a terrifying Skeletal Ridley.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
hey, to all the Ridley fans, I must ask...when was the last time someone said:
RIDLEY IS TOO FREAKING BIG!!!

...?

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

I always interpreted Ridley as an unlock-able character, it would honestly be a shame to have him on the starter roster if you ask me. I want to earn him and similar antagonists are unlock-able such as the aforementioned Ganondorf. Wolf comes to mind as well. Either way, it probably depends on whether or not Zero-Suit is an unlock-able (which I doubt).

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
So, apparently Smash for 3DS is getting E 10+ rating. Do you guys think this hurts Ridley's chances at all?
Did it hurt Zero Suit Samus's chances? I don't think it'll hurt a dragons's chances when you have a sexualized woman in a skin tight suit preforming acrobatics to defeat opponents (I'll just let that sink in with all of you).

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
hey, to all the Ridley fans, I must ask...when was the last time someone said:
RIDLEY IS TOO FREAKING BIG!!!

...?
I feel certain that someone in the world said it a few seconds ago.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
You know what I've been thinking?
Alot of "Reptilian" Villians have been getting a Skeleton "Form" through the years.
Not specifically a "Form" Form, but we've seen them performing actions in a Skeletal State.
Dry Bowser (driving Motorbikes like a bawz) and Melting-In-Lava-butstillagoodguy-Crocomire (SCREEEEEEEEECH) just to name a few.
So what would Ridley look like as a Living Skeleton?
...Probably terrifying yet Badass as crap.
...Also Nightmare Fuel.
Get on it, Nintendo. Make the new 3D Metroid game have a terrifying Skeletal Ridley.
I just see it as

but without the flesh. The dragon's basically just skin and bones in this incarnation.

Top Bottom