• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
I just hope Ridley's trailer doesn't dissapoint like Pretty Pale Tuna's did. By outright showing her at the start. Who made that decision?
ok, what is with all the damn tuna jokes?

had to deal with enough stupid jokes on gamefaqs, and people here insulting gamefaqs as much as they do sure do seem to act just like the people there...

i thought the ridley fans here were better than that?

anyway... ridley's trailer should be one of two things... either something fitting a metroid game's style of introducing him... or in an all-out villain trailer.

im not entirely sure which one i'd wanna see more...

Riskman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
weavorsomething
3DS FC
2406-5118-0663
Yeah, it could have, but it was shown, and even if it wasn't, Ridley's shadow, in motion, was shown. This is more than some purple and yellow effect that could have come from any potential newcomer (of course we know it belongs to Rosalina and Luma). It's no question he was deliberately teasing Ridley there.
You see, though, this is where your argument falls on its face. There have been countless observations here that the shadow moved jerkily, very much unlike a boss and even more unlike how Ridley acted in Subspace.

Also, the fact we were teased about Ridley at all. What marketing value is there from hyping up a boss for almost a year? The yellow devil was shown off from the very first day and it didn't exactly take a year for him to even mention its name and explain that it was a boss, and not playable.

Of course, you could choose to refute all this and say "Well, perhaps he is just a boss because his shadow was shown.", and you are not wrong because that is completely possible, but once you accept that the tail was not supposed to be there, you enter the shadow analysis. The fact the shadow was shown in motion only supports it more because of how it moved, if it had been a still image it would have been worse for Ridley.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
You see, though, this is where your argument falls on its face. There have been countless observations here that the shadow moved jerkily, very much unlike a boss and even more unlike how Ridley acted in Subspace.

Also, the fact we were teased about Ridley at all. What marketing value is there from hyping up a boss for almost a year? The yellow devil was shown off from the very first day and it didn't exactly take a year for him to even mention its name and explain that it was a boss, and not playable.

Of course, you could choose to refute all this and say "Well, perhaps he is just a boss because his shadow was shown.", and you are not wrong because that is completely possible, but once you accept that the tail was not supposed to be there, you enter the shadow analysis. The fact the shadow was shown in motion only supports it more because of how it moved, if it had been a still image it would have been worse for Ridley.
You do know that Ridley moves jerky in Other M too? Especially when he roars? I can see the jerkiness in the tease but you never know. I'm just giving a guess with evidence on my side.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Not really. That has nothing to do with what I'm saying. My claim is based on facts, consistent facts even. Sufficient enough to call it a pattern.

You think I remember some damn code? Get real, son.

Yeah, it could have, but it was shown, and even if it wasn't, Ridley's shadow, in motion, was shown. This is more than some purple and yellow effect that could have come from any potential newcomer (of course we know it belongs to Rosalina and Luma). It's no question he was deliberately teasing Ridley there.
Just because it hasn't been done, doesn't mean it will be. Funny coming from the "two doesn't make a pattern guy." We honestly have 0 idea and no speculation can change that.
So yea. Just because he hasn't in the past doesn't mean he will be. Unless you count toon link. Then he has revealed a character without really revealing them.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
He didn't say Ridley though. He didn't show him in his entirety.

Thing is, Ashley and Chrom's roles were easy to deduct based on the post and video, respectively. He didn't say Ashley was a newcomer and she didn't get a character box on the site. Chrom's role was easy because you could see Robin and him circling around in an opponent, with Robin glowing like many others do during their Final Smash.
BUT. HE. STILL. NEEDED. TO. CLARIFY. THEIR. ROLES.

It doesn't matter whether or not it was obvious to you or to me or to anyone. He STILL had to clarify them because SOME people thought it meant otherwise.

So tell me: Why hasn't he done that with Ridley? Since, you know, a LARGE amount of people are doubting about what his damned role is??

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Thing is two doesn't make a pattern. It doesn't.

We've been shown a consistent pattern with my claim. Can it be broken? Possibly. Can it not be broken? Possibly. Has it been broken? No.

As for Toon Link, that wasn't his fighter model. It was a background model, just like Palutena's statue and the caged Mii.

It doesn't matter whether or not it was obvious to you or to me or to anyone. He STILL had to clarify them because SOME people thought it meant otherwise.

So tell me: Why hasn't he done that with Ridley? Since, you know, a LARGE amount of people are doubting about what his damned role is??
Well then maybe he's taking his own sweet time to clarify the role of a character that he didn't address by name!

Riskman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
weavorsomething
3DS FC
2406-5118-0663
You do know that Ridley moves jerky in Other M too? Especially when he roars? I can see the jerkiness in the tease but you never know. I'm just giving a guess with evidence on my side.
Samus falls over and cries a little when she sees Ridley in Other M, too, so I guess she'll do that in Smash. That'd be kind of like including the glitchy physics of Sonic 06 with Sonic.

Also, it isn't just the jerkiness, it's the fact it moves nothing like a boss. The yellow devil waits, and then quickly transitions to the other side and faces the opposite, and Ridley did this too in Brawl, but in the direct he slowly moved across the stage and faced the same direction.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Samus falls over and cries a little when she sees Ridley in Other M, too, so I guess she'll do that in Smash. That'd be kind of like including the glitchy physics of Sonic 06 with Sonic.

Also, it isn't just the jerkiness, it's the fact it moves nothing like a boss. The yellow devil waits, and then quickly transitions to the other side and faces the opposite, and Ridley did this too in Brawl, but in the direct he slowly moved across the stage and faced the same direction.
You can't base what all the bosses in the game are going to look like based on the Yellow Devil. That's just one.

Not to mention the Dark Emporor is a bit jerky in his animations.

Morbi

Scavenger

He is not aware that it needs clarifying because it was blatantly obvious that Ridley was a boss. :troll:

Thing is two doesn't make a pattern. It doesn't.

We've been shown a consistent pattern with my claim. Can it be broken? Possibly. Can it not be broken? Possibly. Has it been broken? No.

As for Toon Link, that wasn't his fighter model. It was a background model, just like Palutena's statue and the caged Mii.

Well then maybe he's taking his own sweet time to clarify the role of a character that he didn't address by name!
Yes, yes it does. A pattern can be two, do you even math, bro? :troll:

NatP

Smash Ace
Thing is, Ashley and Chrom's roles were easy to deduct based on the post and video, respectively.
This won't stop people from speculating though. And Sakurai hates it when people speculate about potential playable characters that end up not being playable, so to stop this from happening he immediately and ruthlessly deconfirms these characters since that is the only thing that will stop the speculation.

And then in the 20th of August of 2013, Sakurai first implies that Ridley may be a boss on the pyroshere stage ("An enemy from Samus's past can show up at any moment!"). And then he implies it AGAIN in April in the smash direct. But he NEVER once says "FYI, Ridley is a boss". Hell, he has never even said Ridley's name this whole time!

Sakurai IS fostering speculation and he IS intentionally leaving the possibility of Ridley being playable open. Now I ask you, why? Why would he do this solely for Ridley? Does he hate the Ridley fanbase THAT much?!

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
What's uhhhh....what's going on in here?
I just stated a thing and people attack it like a swarm of bees around Nicholas Cage's head.

I find it funny how people get so emotionally worked up over this. Which is why I probably won't stop by again, it's tiresome trying to discuss with people who have zero interest having an actual, civil discussion.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
WHO. CARES.

We know it's Ridley! It's so damned obvious is Ridley! How many other dragons have you ever seen in Pyrosphere??

What we don't know is: What does he do? Why hasn't he clarify that and left us here speculating about it, IF IN THE END IT'D BE FOR ****ING NOTHING!?

May I remind you: HE'S A HIGHLY REQUESTED CHARACTER!? WHAT KIND OF SADIST WOULD TEASE SUCH A HYPE-WORTHY FEATURE IF IN THE END IT'S NOT GONNA ****ING HAPPEN!??

God, I'm losing my patience here!

Me going nuts. WHAT ELSE IS NEW.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
He coulda been unfinished. You don't know either man.
you know what it sounds like to me?

it sounds like you're just trying to cover your ass by sitting on the fence so you arent attacked full force by supporters or detractors specifically... but you're also trying your best to sound like a detractor here, irritating people for no reason, and then throwing in a "i'd love ridley to be playable" every now and then as a shield.

you owe everyone here an apology once ridley is confirmed.

you're also not allowed to celebrate with us, cause you arent a true supporter.

Morbi

Scavenger
Ridley discussion, ironically. Unprecedented... I know.

Jimmies are being rustled left and right.
You forgot to mention up and down... and so on, so forth.

This won't stop people from speculating though. And Sakurai hates it when people speculate about potential playable characters that end up not being playable, so to stop this from happening he immediately and ruthlessly deconfirms these characters since that is the only thing that will stop the speculation.

And then in the 20th of August of 2013, Sakurai first implies that Ridley may be a boss on the pyroshere stage ("An enemy from Samus's past can show up at any moment!"). And then he implies it AGAIN in April in the smash direct. But he NEVER once says "FYI, Ridley is a boss". Hell, he has never even said Ridley's name this whole time!

Sakurai IS fostering speculation and he IS intentionally leaving the possibility of Ridley being playable open. Now I ask you, why? Why would he do this solely for Ridley? Does he hate the Ridley fanbase THAT much?!
Unless they are Ridley, of course. Sakurai hates the Ridley fan-base... did you not hear? Apparently, he has been teasing us for a year as he hates us and he is a cruel, cruel man.

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
I just stated a thing and people attack it like a swarm of bees around Nicholas Cage's head.

I find it funny how people get so emotionally worked up over this. Which is why I probably won't stop by again, it's tiresome trying to discuss with people who just want to be right all the time.
Well it's easily explainable. The "thing" you stated is uninformed and/or unintelligent.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I find it funny how people get so emotionally worked up over this. Which is why I probably won't stop by again, it's tiresome trying to discuss with people who have zero interest having an actual, civil discussion.
Or, you know, don't come to a Ridley support thread with illogical claims against the character that people here are supporting.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Well it's easily explainable. The "thing" you stated is uninformed and/or unintelligent.
It's based on facts, read up bro.

Anyways, I'm out. Nice talking, I'm not a fan of talking with a bunch of emotionally charged children getting worked up over something so goddamn petty as this. I wanted to start discussion with a statement I made before, and now instead of discussing people would rather shoot it down and shut me up.

See you all around.

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
Ridley discussion, ironically. Unprecedented... I know.

You forgot to mention up and down... and so on, so forth.

Unless they are Ridley, of course. Sakurai hates the Ridley fan-base... did you not hear? Apparently, he has been teasing us for a year as he hates us and he is a cruel, cruel man.
Morbid is that really you? Your going full on troll mode :laugh:

PerfectChaos9

Smash Cadet
Through all the other evidence, this point here hints playability status more than anything else if you ask me. Ridley's shadow was a literal hype generator. People began talking. Spreading the word. You can not go to a single smash bros forum anywhere and not find a discussion about Ridley. If after all of this time, Ridley was just a boss, there will be community backlash. To put it bluntly, it would not reflect well on Sakurai in the public's eyes. To tease the way he did with Ridley and expect people to just accept boss status would be beyond belief.

If Sakurai teases, he pleases :cool:

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
you know what it sounds like to me?

it sounds like you're just trying to cover your *** by sitting on the fence so you arent attacked full force by supporters or detractors specifically... but you're also trying your best to sound like a detractor here, irritating people for no reason, and then throwing in a "i'd love ridley to be playable" every now and then as a shield.

you owe everyone here an apology once ridley is confirmed.

you're also not allowed to celebrate with us, cause you arent a true supporter.
I disagree vehemently, there is no such thing as a "true" supporter. If Nat truly wants Ridley to be playable as he claims, he deserves to celebrate with us. He just interprets the evidence differently.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord

The issue is you are using exceedingly poor logic to back your claims. Ironically, your claims could arguably support Ridley depending on how the argument is viewed. Honestly, I doubt Ridleys playability, but your reasoning for it is so circular and baseless, it's frustrating to the supporters. Again "he's never shown a characters model when they are playable" is like me saying " he's never shown a paper Mario stage so he won't." He could (and has) reveal such at any time. There is no past information to create this "pattern" you've devised. Because no character has ever been teased like this.

Last edited:

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman

Anyways, I'm out. Nice talking, I'm not a fan of talking with a bunch of emotionally charged children getting worked up over something so goddamn petty as this. I wanted to start discussion with a statement I made before, and now instead of discussing people would rather shoot it down and shut me up.

See you all around.
hey, i am NOT emotionally charged, i am COMPLETELY calm.

we are just stating facts, "bro".

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

Oh.

Oh.

I see how it is.

I try to argue with you in a very civil manner, and then you end up draining my patience with your stubborn, illogical arguments, and then you have the nerves to say that, huh?

Oh no, it's cool.

Don't worry. I can get over it.

I mean, it's not like I actually TRIED to put things very clearly. So that you could understand why you're erroneously believing some rather arbitrary fallacy you came up with.

Now that'd be nonsense, wouldn't it?

Now, don't worry.

You may leave now.

Now that you've done nothing but disappointing me greatly.

Oh.

And by the way.

**** you too.

I'm done here.

D

Deleted member

See you all around.
>Goes into a support thread
>Brings up a subject that is quite sensitive for the supporters and has been discussed to death
>Expects a calm and positive response.

Not the best idea I've ever heard...

See, you keep asking to have a discussion with us that won't elicit a negative response, or one you deem "defensive", but if you start throwing around opinions that we disagree with, how are we supposed to respond without sounding "defensive" and like we're "shooting you down?" And then you get all defensive and start calling us names, which only makes things worse.

You've done this how many times before? And you expect a different result now why?

It's Einstein's definition of Insanity, you won't get anywhere.
Nice talking, I'm not a fan of talking with a bunch of emotionally charged children getting worked up over something so goddamn petty as this
Again, if this subject is so "goddamn petty" then why the hell are you bringing it up? Let the petty pointless arguments wither and die if you abhor them that much, don't work to revive them.

Also, please, please don't start acting so condescendingly to us, this thread has many very intelligent people, and you know that.

Such provocation will not go over well, I promise you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
Oh.

Oh.

I see how it is.

I try to argue with you in a very civil manner, and then you end up draining my patience with your stubborn, illogical arguments, and then you have the nerves to say that, huh?

Oh no, it's cool.

Don't worry. I can get over it.

I mean, it's not like I actually TRIED to put things very clearly. So that you could understand why you're erroneously believing some rather arbitrary fallacy you came up with.

Now that'd be nonsense, wouldn't it?

Now, don't worry.

You may leave now.

Now that you've done nothing but disappointing me greatly.

Oh.

And by the way.

**** you too.

I'm done here.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I got an F you from someone. Goes to show the maturity level of people here. I rest my case.

Just wanted a fun, civil discussion. Getting emotionally worked up over this stuff is not worth it.

Last edited:

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340

See you all around.
Ok, but here's your problem. You're being very closed-minded and narrowly viewing other people's perfectly logical points here. THAT'S the issue. Not that you don't believe he's in, but brushing off actual points as "Oh, it's different for <insert newcomer here> because <illogical explanation> and that has nothing to do with Ridley." Ridley's chances aren't affected or taken away by any newcomers getting in, and newcomers don't take away other people's slots. It's not like Lucina took away Chrom's spot, Sakurai probably implemented Lucina because he felt she was different enough to warrant her own spot. I don't entirely agree with that explanation, but there you go. Ridley's different from everyone else (Palutena is the only comparable one, but her model wasn't shown before her reveal) because we've seen him, that shadow is definitely Ridley. HOWEVER, there's been no mention of him by name, no hints, not even a pic of him since the original tease for a whole year. If you think about it, we've never seen Ridley on Pyrosphere, and that was one of the first stages Sakurai revealed to us. What does that mean? I think he's hiding Ridley, and if he is indeed a boss hazard, why keep him secret for so long? Why not just show him off on Pyrosphere and WHY shrink him down if he's going to still be a boss in this game? Well, the obvious answer would be that he's not a boss on Pyrosphere, but a playable character, and Sakurai's ace in the hole. What would generate more hype pre-release than Ridley being playable? A trailer with him, K Rool, Mewtwo, and other possible villains.

Riskman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
weavorsomething
3DS FC
2406-5118-0663

See you all around.
Alright, whatever, as long as you're not referring to me as an 'emotionally charged child' too, because I can assure you that I am neither a child, nor emotionally charged.

Also, just to sum up my final thought on your point, much like Toon Link I think it isn't impossible that another incarnation of Ridley is the playable one, so technically it wouldn't be Ridley's 'newcomer model'.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I got an F you from someone. Goes to show the maturity level of people here. I rest my case.

Just wanted a fun, civil discussion. Getting emotionally worked up over this stuff is not worth it.
IF maturity = intelligence.

Then you're not doing a very good job either

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
First time I've seen a debate with both sides since I've been here. I think I'll stay out of it since people go far more in depth than me on both sides of the argument. I've been very neutral on Ridley for the longest time and only recently have I leaned closer to Pro-Ridley.

D

Deleted member

At least bring up a new and logical argument next time.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Well, if that isn't a stereotype than I don't know what is...

So one person tells you to **** yourself and suddenly a whole website is childish.

That makes perfect sense.

Top Bottom