• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
I just hope Ridley's trailer doesn't dissapoint like Pretty Pale Tuna's did. By outright showing her at the start. Who made that decision?
Dude I know right? The only suspense I felt was during the telltale opening. I was in a skype call at the time and we were all so hyped for it, and then she just shows up and we just went silent despite a quiet "aw man." We weren't quiet because we were speechless, we were quiets because she was not only predictable but shown out right with no buildup.

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
I had a dream where, leaving off from the last trailer with robin and lucina fighting captain falcoln, captain falcoln ends up falcoln punching robin out of the stadium. At that point, emerging from the shadows is none other than black shadow, who engages CF and knocks him unconscious, he revels in being the most evil villain with some cheesy voiceover, and suddenly ridley swoops down and roasts him and wraps his tail around him and throws him into the clouds. As black shadow goes flying, ridley is looking up and sees samus's gunship in the distance. Ridley then shoots towards samus and then gameplay is shown for ridley fighting samus on samus' s gunship which is flying past old metroid areas. Idk bout you guys but this sounds awesome.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Confession time; When I first saw the Ridley shadow I though he was a boss until a friend brought up we didn't actually see him...

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Fun fact time! For this game (Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U, of course), Sakurai has never shown us part of or all of a newcomer's fighter model prior to their official reveal. We saw part of Ridley's tail, and a bunch of his shadow. So we've seen part of him. As for Palutena and Miis, we've seen them as statues and stage characters respectively, but those parts of certain stages, and are not fighter models.

So, as I was saying, there's some consistency to be had here. And with that pattern in mind, it's easy to deduce that Ridley is not a playable character. Unless he is in fact playable, of course, in which case he will be the character to break the pattern. So I'll state my statement again because it rocks and it's a consistent pattern to base claims off of.

For this game, Sakurai has never shown us part of or all of a newcomer's fighter model before their official reveal.

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
I leave to watch Godzilla and the whole thread descend to madness, comes back to reality, talks about General Ridley support stuff, we get a new space pirate comrade and @aldelaro5 writes another essay. Another day in the Ridley thread.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Always okay to leave the possibility open. It is a logical statement after all. ;)

In this particular case, it's like "Innocent until proven guilty." I think Ridley's probably not playable, unless he is proven playable.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Always okay to leave the possibility open. It is a logical statement after all. ;)
In all seriousness, the argument doesn't make sense. If anything, it helps him.

Showing his shadow still isn't showing his model. Just like all the other dudes you used as example.

If anything, your argument is helping Ridley

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Fun fact time! For this game (Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U, of course), Sakurai has never shown us part of or all of a newcomer's fighter model prior to their official reveal. We saw part of Ridley's tail, and a bunch of his shadow. So we've seen part of him. As for Palutena and Miis, we've seen them as statues and stage characters respectively, but those parts of certain stages, and are not fighter models.

So, as I was saying, there's some consistency to be had here. And with that pattern in mind, it's easy to deduce that Ridley is not a playable character. Unless he is in fact playable, of course, in which case he will be the character to break the pattern. So I'll state my statement again because it rocks and it's a consistent pattern to base claims off of.

For this game, Sakurai has never shown us part of or all of a newcomer's fighter model before their official reveal.
2nd post young whipper snapper, 2nd post.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
In all seriousness, the argument doesn't make sense. If anything, it helps him.

Showing his shadow still isn't showing his model. Just like all the other dudes you used as example.

If anything, your argument is helping Ridley
We saw his tail and shadow. We saw part of him, that is fact.

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario

He showed off Rosalina before reveal, some time during November or December the pic of the day was reconfirmation of Nintendogs as an assist, it had a certain attack, later identified as Rosalina's standard Special, that no one had seen before, sakurai has shown us part of a playable character before

Bobomberman

Smash Cadet

You've brouvht this point up several times. Yes, the first time you said it, it was a good point, but people addressed it and moved on. Now its just aggravating to take steps back in this discussion as you bring up the same point for the umpteenth time.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I don't think Sakurai knows the meaning of these words.
We got ourselves our sentence of the year, folks!

There is no written law that Sakurai absolutely has to reveal part of a newcomer before his/her confirmation. Say what you will of Palutena, but her statue in the Kid Icarus Wii U stage shows us more about what she looks like in-game than Ridley's shadow.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
We saw his tail and shadow. We saw part of him, that is fact.
That part was not the focus of the shot though.

The average viewer didn't see the tail, that was only seen going frame by frame.

By that logic, we saw part of Palutena on her stage's PotD. Because obviously that statue is based off Palutena's model.

And I guess Little Mac's stage is part of him as well the, because it is from his game after all.

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Double Post
Technically we saw Ganondorf's gauntlet in the melee opening before he was revealed. Doesn't he count?
I'm talking about this game. Not Melee. ;)

That part was not the focus of the shot though.

The average viewer didn't see the tail, that was only seen going frame by frame.

By that logic, we saw part of Palutena on her stage's PotD. Because obviously that statue is based off Palutena's model.

And I guess Little Mac's stage is part of him as well the, because it is from his game after all.
It may have not been the focus of the shot, people still saw him, believe it or not.

If I took a photo of a person's face up close, is the cloud in the sky the focus? No. Can people still see it? Yes.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Either way I wouldn't be surprised if Ridley's playable or not playable. Sure I'll be a bit disappointed if he's not, but I'll live. I was never really a huge Ridley supporter until recently. I was more on the neutral side. Now I'm more pro Ridley. He's still not my most requested character (Hey there Mewtwo), but he's become my 2nd most wanted easily.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
It may have not been the focus of the shot, people still saw him, believe it or not.

If I took a photo of a person's face up close, is the cloud in the sky the focus? No. Can people still see it? Yes.
If you really think seeing a part of his tail before his role is told deconfirms him.

If you really think this argument is the end all be all for Ridley.

I've lost all faith in you

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
The flag isn't a ****ing character.

Ridley is
I was making a point that you can still see things that aren't the focus in a picture. You seemed to be saying that Ridley's tail and shadow not being the focus made its appearance invalid.

@ N Nat Perry , how will you react if Ridley is confirmed to be playable?
I'd be surprised, and stoked if he looks good visual- and moveset-wise.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325

Actually, we saw part Rosalina prior to her official reveal.

Last edited:

NatP

Smash Ace
I'm talking about this game. Not Melee. ;)
Yeah I totally get that but the fact that characters HAVE been shown before they were revealed to the playable tells us that the exact same thing can easily happen to Ridley.

Hell, back in Smash 64 you could see the entire silhouette for ALL the unlockable/unrevealed characters in the opening!

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'd be surprised, and stoked if he looks good visual- and moveset-wise.
Good. I think Sakurai likes surprises.

Except for that one time with Palutena, although that was helped by the Gematsu and in-game leaks of her.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
With all the hate Ridley is getting from detractors around the web, his potential confirmation to playable character will feel alot more satisfying.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
We saw Ridley partially, but we still don't know what his role in the game.

The fact that we saw his tail (which some people still think it may be part of his wing) doesn't really mean anything. I mean, yeah, we saw him, somewhat, and thus we know he's in the game... So? We still don't know his role.

Last edited:
Top Bottom