• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
I kinda like the Prime suit more. The Other M suit definitely looks really sleak, but something about it kinda irks me. Don't know what.

And my avatar is Haruhi Suzumiya. I just found this picture one day and loved it.
I think my favourite Prime suit is, like many, the Phazon suit. That black is wonderful.

Haruhi? Are you... sure? I'm pretty sure that's Shana, man. Weaboo animu under the cut.

If that was a reference to a joke or meme or something, consider me oblivious. You can never be too sure, though!

Well, Prime games don`t add much to the timeline since Samus basicly retconned all of Dark Samus' efforts to spread Phazon, so, only things that were killed or destroyed are applied to the timeline...and there wasn`t much. So, if you will remove either Metroid Other M or Prime games from canon, nothing will really change...Anyway, Metroid Other M gives to canonical story/timeline/whatever a little bit more than Prime games do after Phaaze exploded and destroyed Phazon in the universe. If Phazon would remain, then it would be more important to canon than Metroid Other M.
Well arguably, it gives Samus a lot more fame and also means she saves Planet Aether, I suppose? Interestingly, it introduced Seeker Missiles, which were the only part Sakamoto apparently thought were good enough to keep. But the entire Phazon thing meant that Samus was stopping a threat to the universe; if you argue like that, then you could just as easily say that Metroid II: Return of Samus was pointless, and Metroid Fusion was pointless as they were both the exact same thing; stopping an alien thing from destroying the galaxy. She stopped Phazon from consuming the entire universe, stopped the Ing from taking over Aether and then spreading, and defeated Gorea, if you count Prime Hunters as part of the Prime sub-series. It also introduces numerous other occasions where Ridley appears for Samus, making it known that she's never escaping him.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
What I mean is something like this, it starts off just about the quiz, then changes to which Zelda rep would be the most valid, and in the end it doesn't even try referring back to the quiz. Plus not to mention Shìkì being hostile towards GM's choice of Impa. I would like to see Ghirahim's head on a pike but you won't see me saying that normally, in fact I tried to avoid potentially insulting as much as possible in my last post (not completely). Just wanted to be a bit more clearly.
Didn't mean to be hostile, just stating my opinion.

Impa did nothing except for telling you you were too late and not worthy of protecting Zelda, and her moveset would be incredibly close to Shieks. On the other hand Ghirahim appears 6 times and you fight him 3 times, he makes stuff happen and is much more fleshed out. I have nothing against Impa, but i have something against the SS Impa. Especially since that Impa makes an almost 180 degree character turn towards Link compared to the other iterations, where she would either help him out or at least put up a challenge for him to prove his worth, not outright tell him "you s*ck, you aren't worthy, get the hell lost", and in the end she isn't even close enough to being able to rival Ghirahim even when he doesn't change forms. Heck, she almost failed to buy enough time for Zelda at the timeportal, and she would have failed if it wasn't for Link. Not to mention it was she who let Zelda get captured in the beginning in the first place.

Impa from OOT or one of the other games she was in? Sure, so be it. Even if she was a clone. But SS Impa? No, thank you. Well, to please her fans, a Shiek alt. costume maybe. Not a separate slot, having 3 clones and 2 unique/original characters (assuming Ganondorf isn't cut) wouldn't to the LoZ franchise justice, it would be like saying "you are so unimportant we will do basically no work on your characters and simply throw in 3 clones cause fans would be mad".

Kind of like Metroid, where we have ONE character that now takes 2 slots.

Edit: Spoilered my point cause it contains spoilers. Duh.

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
The home run bomb was teased at e3 this year. I'm thinking Ridley is coming on my calculated august 6th-8th direct.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Didn't mean to be hostile, just stating my opinion.

Impa did nothing except for telling you you were too late and not worthy of protecting Zelda, and her moveset would be incredibly close to Shieks. On the other hand Ghirahim appears 6 times and you fight him 3 times, he makes stuff happen and is much more fleshed out. I have nothing against Impa, but i have something against the SS Impa. Especially since that Impa makes an almost 180 degree character turn towards Link compared to the other iterations, where she would either help him out or at least put up a challenge for him to prove his worth, not outright tell him "you s*ck, you aren't worthy, get the hell lost", and in the end she isn't even close enough to being able to rival Ghirahim even when he doesn't change forms. Heck, she almost failed to buy enough time for Zelda at the timeportal, and she would have failed if it wasn't for Link. Not to mention it was she who let Zelda get captured in the beginning in the first place.

Impa from OOT or one of the other games she was in? Sure, so be it. Even if she was a clone. But SS Impa? No, thank you. Well, to please her fans, a Shiek alt. costume maybe. Not a separate slot, having 3 clones and 2 unique/original characters (assuming Ganondorf isn't cut) wouldn't to the LoZ franchise justice, it would be like saying "you are so unimportant we will do basically no work on your characters and simply throw in 3 clones cause fans would be mad".

Kind of like Metroid, where we have ONE character that now takes 2 slots.

Edit: Spoilered my point cause it contains spoilers. Duh.
The point of my little rant was about people like yourself going completely off topic, like what you just said here saying why Impa is worse than Ghirahim. I don't give a dam what people here think about what Zelda character would be best, Ridley has nothing to do with Zelda games, again this is a Ridley thread. Save your Ghirahim support or Impa rebuttal for their respected threads. You completely avoided everything else I said and zeroed in on the example I used.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I promised yesterday, so I'll deliver today.

I just want to recap my logical reasoning before and then make this official. Consider this as a sequel to my essay so I assume that you're aware and know my whole essay. If you completely disagree with my essay, you will here so I suggest to not even read this if it's the case.

We have been teased since August 20 2013. Every one here will probably remember forever this date as it was probably the biggest tease Sakurai every done with selected targeting.

What happened here that made this tease not obvious at all was that it was double meaning and not clear. The fact that it wasn't clear however was proven to be the tease after all. Now, by being clueless on what this stage is for trigger the assumption of not seeing the teased character playable since other character already confirmed could belong to the stage. Here, it would have been samus or any metroid character, but what was ignored except here was that the stage is THE SAME location you fight Ridley canon.

Can we just agree that this stage without Ridley would just feel weird? So, it's more Ridley's home stage than other metroid character then. Just that is the starting point of the tease.

Let me explain what I mean by selected targeting. Sakurai makes his tease in a way that it only works for certain people. There's evidences of Sakurai knowing what feel a supporter has upon deconfirmation, doubtful and confirmation. So, in other words, he's playing with the emotions of people by teasing which make this only work for the one who CARE and does absolutely nothing and it may even do the opposite on the one who DON'T CARE.

Let me explain what it means here. The double meaning here is hazard or playable. The former means that the stage is home of every metroid character except Ridley who is locked here because he would only appear in a fixed way at a fixed interval and nothing more. The latter would means that the stage was made for Ridley. Kinda like a home for his supporters if you want.

So, what honestly do people who don't care will think? Not even doubt that hazard would be the truth because they would mostly not understand how this stage feels like a home and they mostly who care to check deeper since there's already an outcome implied and they are happy with it.

As for the supporters, they would obviously understand this notion and this is when they start to think something is "wrong". Because understanding how this stage would be a home for Ridley and not even being clear on this from Sakurai is just "fishy". By reading the sentences before the any second part, your reaction will depend whether or not you care about Ridley.

If you're a supporter, you will likely understand the tease since you would likely understand the home stage notion. If you're not, you're likely just going to take this as an actual fact and not trying to link this fact to the last sentences which is the tease itself. By not linking those, you would assume that by default, he's an hazard because of how it was mentioned as a boss fight.

In other words, you need to INVESTIGATE DEEPER to know what's going on and people who don't care will miss it because they won't take the effort of doing investigation and just take what is written as fact and implies the truth.

But the tease is hidden because of this. When you would assume this truth, the belief would contradicts what's actually going on. This would make you DENY the tease while it's happening without you knowing. The persons that are likely going to spot the tease are the one who made research or most supporters. So, you would have an idea of what's going to happen while others will deny this until it's happening.

This^, is literally what's happening every single time a tease like this happens. The direct is even more obvious because you need to do hours of research to spot the tease, but on first or second watch, you will get that there's something wrong in the clip. In other words, the direct was made so that you, supporters, spot it while others mostly will not. It became to a point where I ran out of theory for him not being playable so it turned out to be the opposite logic making more sense: instead of being not playable until confirmed, he is playable until deconfirmed. That's the opposite of speculation and the fact that I went there is a proof of how likely he is.

Basically, I said a while ago in this thread that the tease may have been made so that when I watched the clip the second time, I would get that there's something hidden and fishy here. It turns out that it was the truth as the one who support hope while others won't care and be mind blown after.

Ok, this explains the way it happened, but why always by stage reveal?

Because it's the best element to make a character chance situation change. If Sakurai confirms a music, that's not really a clear evidence, but a stage is. A stage takes a huge amount of work and even then, they are VERY detailed. It's crazy how a stage feels like his game because of the details put into it. To dedicate so much work on this is a good reason to think a character associated to the stage would be in.

In fact, only a few exceptions exists, but most stages works like this. So, by revealing the stage, all Sakurai has to do is simply not tell a crucial information on the stage for speculation or not being clear on purpose. In this case, it's the role of Ridley on that stage. You have to check the circumstances to realise that playable makes sense while hazard doesn't. If you don't check, you will assume hazard because assumption and not caring to check.

Let me fill you on previous cases to make you realise how much sense it makes.

Boxing ring: revealed on first trailer by showing it. No crucial infos was given only that the rope acts like a trampoline. Because of the way the stage is showed and presented, it was IMPLIED that it was global. The truth is, no one said something on that matter and Little Mac supporters quickly realised that something fishy was going on. I remember that there was a lot of talks about it on his thread, but supporters started to spot some punch out reference that make this stage a punch out atmosphere. So, why having this stage without Little Mac? It would just feel weird, but you have to at least have played punch out and care for seeing Little Mac so that you could clearly spot those. That's why lots of people DENIED the tease because it was IMPLIED to be global while not only Sakurai wasn't even clear, but it was also the opposite.

Result: After 7 months, Little Mac wa confirmed via a trailer that not only reveals him, but also the SECOND VERSION of the boxing ring. Both informations was HIDDEN for trailer setup AND making the tease works. Since lots of people denied it, mind blown which makes the reveal more hype.

After, that where Ridley one comes in and I already explained deeper enough.

And then, another one was done that in my knowledge, almost no one got it.

Prism Tower: Reveal around a month vefore Greninja's reveal. The initial reveal was partial as it only confirmed the stage with the info that you fight on top of the tower at one point. 2 weeks after (so 2 weeks before reveal), almost every remaining info was given. We are now aware of how this stage acts, but there's one thing he wasn't clear. The location of the stage is from the 6G and so far, no 6G pokemon was confirmed. So, people assumed it was to rep existing one while it was a hidden tease to a 6G pokemon rep.

Result: Greninja was confirmed in the direct, but on the same trailer, a WiiU stage was revealed. Again, this was for trailer setup and it may even be related to a mewtwo tease, but this one is so unclear that I'm not sure if it is one. I'll let you think what you want on this, but the stage was a hidden tease.

Another one!

Palutena's Temple: Revealed with almost no info to then show the complete layout in the direct. Infos came progressively as the stage itself was teased. It wasn't clear who it repped between pit and Palutena so people assumed it was pit. But since the stage is dedicated to Palutena, it would feel weird to not see her. Here however, the direct tease was so obvious that imo, it kinda scrapped the tease. Without it though, it worked.

Result: Palutena was revealed at E3. And on the same trailer, we see her fighting on that same stage so it's obvious how it's her home. Same thing here: mind blown for the one who denied it.

At this point, it should be enough for you to understand.

HOWEVER, it surprisingly became way...way...WAY too personal to deny this for me. I have to say that I did NOT expected this to happen in ANY possible way, but because it happened, I now understand CLEARLY what other supporters lived.

It's happening now so we don't know the result, but check the circumstances, it makes way too much sense for me to deny this possibility.

??? (it's the Paper Mario stage): Ok, please, read before you claim I'm biased because what I'm going to say was me after removing most of my bias and trust me, I will NEVER think it was the truth without evidences and logic so please, read before.

The stage reveal honestly, seems like usual like what happened with Greninja. From the image, there's nothing fishy about them only that I spotted nice details. But not the captions. The first one and particularly the very first sentence along with 2 other circumstances were the tease giveaway.

1: He said "for the first time ever" to then reveal the stage immediately after. In itself, there's nothing abnormal. But why 2 POTD before when he introduced the menu, why he said the EXACT same words? There's no relation on them and if I compare the meaning, it doesn't make sense on the stage.

Let me explain. By saying that there's a first time and reveal right after, you imply that this first time would "happen at one point anyway". It makes sense for the menu because it was implied that we would get a menu and that we would see it at one point. Saying those words means that he wants to hype this first time as it was "due to happen". It's appropriate for the menu, but the stage was completely unexpected to even exist. It was even not implied to see a Paper Mario stage so why this wording is used to hype something that was "due to happen"?

It's like it was "planned before", but if it was the case, what happened before that we didn't see anything from it? This fact alone doesn't prove anything, but that was when I started to doubt the reveal. It's only theory.

2 This one though is a bit weird, but that's when I was starting to consider such a theory seriously. Because the name of the character is literally the same as the name of the series, he had to mention it in this way, but here, it was in a series context, not character. What confirms this is seeing how it seems to rep the series as a whole by repping 2 games with 8 years each apart. The thing is, since it doesn't mention the character, it's not clear if it reps generally the existing Mario characters or Paper Mario. So, I guess I'm stuck here,

3: It just fits with Greninja more now. What you have to remember is that repping TTYD on 3ds and not on WiiU, THAT would be questionable. 3 out of 4 games were released on home console so not seeing a WiiU sage here is unlikely. Though, why hiding such a stage? If it was just for sticker star, then I guess it would be OK, but that's not what happens. So, it seems fishy to not include a WiiU stage.

At this point, this is what happened: people are starting to use a counterargument claiming that because it reps the existing mario characters, it doesn't mean anything for Paper Mario. But, I just said I was stuck and it wasn't clear so, I guess it was implied. I still can't claim the opposite though...until I think about the argument itself.

And that's when I spotted it. If you think about it, using such a stage to rep the main series would be redundant. If I take rainbow road, it only represent one location of one instalment of quite a big and popular sub series. For me, it doesn't rep this series enough to treat it as a whole entity, but rather as a branch related to the main series. Not to mention that other stages like Bowser's Castle would be appropriate considering how well known in the main series such a location is.

But the second picture just break that consistency. The first picture show a game from 2012 while the second one shows a game from 2004. That's really broad for something that would be claimed as branch series related to the main one. There's even a good possibility that there's more, but just those pictures would make this stage too "out of there" to rep the main series.

It rep the series as a whole so much that it could even be considered as a whole entity that is separate. That's the issue because if it's the case, it's no longer the main series now.

Where it makes so much sense is where you put all the pieces together. By hiding his reveal and a WiiU stage, Sakurai is doing a setup for later. For teasing, he would reveal the 3DS stage, but being unclear on who the stage is for which is exactly what happened. People like me (and it's happening in his thread now) would spot the tease since I really care about his case and I checked deeper. Now, people IMPLY that it would just rep the mario series while it wasn't clear.

The existence of such an argument ironically makes this theory even more likely. Now, he will act like he said nothing and keep his mouth shut until he does what most people denied: reveal him and a WiiU stage for trailer setup.

Take Greninja: EXACTLY what would happen and it's history repeating itself FOR THE 5TH TIME!!!

Now, I know his pattern enough to tell that doing it again is heavy evidence on Ridley now. For happening the same way 3 times, me being on another case, I expect that the 5th time is very likely now.

My case is a small tease compared to Ridley. Because Ridley went into tricking us with an unknown entity and that being the shadow. We only know it's Ridley and nothing else. I talked so much that I don't even have any reason to think he would be an hazard since all the remaining are contradictory like what I just found on my end.

It got WAY too far here to deny it. No joke I'll probably have a good laugh at the "I was wrong thread". It's the biggest tease I never being part of and now, to even became to be DIRECTLY and even personally affected by them, I have no choice but to claim that I can't deny this one FOR SURE. So, I'm now comfortable to say it, but...

"Ridley is [almost confirmed] to be playable in Super Smash Brothers for WiiU and 3DS." - aldelaro5 August 1 2014 at 6:00 PM EST

There you have it. July 29 was the last event for me to claim such a statement. When I got directly involved of one of those tease, there wasn't any reason for me to not do it as I understood what happened every time. It doesn't imply the same verdict for my case because Ridley was far bigger and we will almost reach a year now, but I put my case on [quite likely] for safety. Also, I don't think any tease would be revealed after release from now on.

It was a special and hidden tease for a special fanbase.

Thanks for the good speculation you brought up, and I wish you the best hype reveal you would desire and I would be hype too.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
The point of my little rant was about people like yourself going completely off topic, like what you just said here saying why Impa is worse than Ghirahim. I don't give a dam what people here think about what Zelda character would be best, Ridley has nothing to do with Zelda games, again this is a Ridley thread. Save your Ghirahim support or Impa rebuttal for their respected threads. You completely avoided everything else I said and zeroed in on the example I used.
It actually wasn't completely offtopic because the trophyquiz does affect ridleys chances, and just like with Metroid, the Zelda franchise isn't given justice. But fine I'll use a personal message next time.

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader

I just want to recap my logical reasoning before and then make this official. Consider this as a sequel to my essay so I assume that you're aware and know my whole essay. If you completely disagree with my essay, you will here so I suggest to not even read this if it's the case.

We have been teased since August 20 2013. Every one here will probably remember forever this date as it was probably the biggest tease Sakurai every done with selected targeting.

What happened here that made this tease not obvious at all was that it was double meaning and not clear. The fact that it wasn't clear however was proven to be the tease after all. Now, by being clueless on what this stage is for trigger the assumption of not seeing the teased character playable since other character already confirmed could belong to the stage. Here, it would have been samus or any metroid character, but what was ignored except here was that the stage is THE SAME location you fight Ridley canon.

Can we just agree that this stage without Ridley would just feel weird? So, it's more Ridley's home stage than other metroid character then. Just that is the starting point of the tease.

Let me explain what I mean by selected targeting. Sakurai makes his tease in a way that it only works for certain people. There's evidences of Sakurai knowing what feel a supporter has upon deconfirmation, doubtful and confirmation. So, in other words, he's playing with the emotions of people by teasing which make this only work for the one who CARE and does absolutely nothing and it may even do the opposite on the one who DON'T CARE.

Let me explain what it means here. The double meaning here is hazard or playable. The former means that the stage is home of every metroid character except Ridley who is locked here because he would only appear in a fixed way at a fixed interval and nothing more. The latter would means that the stage was made for Ridley. Kinda like a home for his supporters if you want.

So, what honestly do people who don't care will think? Not even doubt that hazard would be the truth because they would mostly not understand how this stage feels like a home and they mostly who care to check deeper since there's already an outcome implied and they are happy with it.

As for the supporters, they would obviously understand this notion and this is when they start to think something is "wrong". Because understanding how this stage would be a home for Ridley and not even being clear on this from Sakurai is just "fishy". By reading the sentences before the any second part, your reaction will depend whether or not you care about Ridley.

If you're a supporter, you will likely understand the tease since you would likely understand the home stage notion. If you're not, you're likely just going to take this as an actual fact and not trying to link this fact to the last sentences which is the tease itself. By not linking those, you would assume that by default, he's an hazard because of how it was mentioned as a boss fight.

In other words, you need to INVESTIGATE DEEPER to know what's going on and people who don't care will miss it because they won't take the effort of doing investigation and just take what is written as fact and implies the truth.

But the tease is hidden because of this. When you would assume this truth, the belief would contradicts what's actually going on. This would make you DENY the tease while it's happening without you knowing. The persons that are likely going to spot the tease are the one who made research or most supporters. So, you would have an idea of what's going to happen while others will deny this until it's happening.

This^, is literally what's happening every single time a tease like this happens. The direct is even more obvious because you need to do hours of research to spot the tease, but on first or second watch, you will get that there's something wrong in the clip. In other words, the direct was made so that you, supporters, spot it while others mostly will not. It became to a point where I ran out of theory for him not being playable so it turned out to be the opposite logic making more sense: instead of being not playable until confirmed, he is playable until deconfirmed. That's the opposite of speculation and the fact that I went there is a proof of how likely he is.

Basically, I said a while ago in this thread that the tease may have been made so that when I watched the clip the second time, I would get that there's something hidden and fishy here. It turns out that it was the truth as the one who support hope while others won't care and be mind blown after.

Because it's the best element to make a character chance situation change. If Sakurai confirms a music, that's not really a clear evidence, but a stage is. A stage takes a huge amount of work and even then, they are VERY detailed. It's crazy how a stage feels like his game because of the details put into it. To dedicate so much work on this is a good reason to think a character associated to the stage would be in.

In fact, only a few exceptions exists, but most stages works like this. So, by revealing the stage, all Sakurai has to do is simply not tell a crucial information on the stage for speculation or not being clear on purpose. In this case, it's the role of Ridley on that stage. You have to check the circumstances to realise that playable makes sense while hazard doesn't. If you don't check, you will assume hazard because assumption and not caring to check.

Boxing ring: revealed on first trailer by showing it. No crucial infos was given only that the rope acts like a trampoline. Because of the way the stage is showed and presented, it was IMPLIED that it was global. The truth is, no one said something on that matter and Little Mac supporters quickly realised that something fishy was going on. I remember that there was a lot of talks about it on his thread, but supporters started to spot some punch out reference that make this stage a punch out atmosphere. So, why having this stage without Little Mac? It would just feel weird, but you have to at least have played punch out and care for seeing Little Mac so that you could clearly spot those. That's why lots of people DENIED the tease because it was IMPLIED to be global while not only Sakurai wasn't even clear, but it was also the opposite.

Result: After 7 months, Little Mac wa confirmed via a trailer that not only reveals him, but also the SECOND VERSION of the boxing ring. Both informations was HIDDEN for trailer setup AND making the tease works. Since lots of people denied it, mind blown which makes the reveal more hype.

Prism Tower: Reveal around a month vefore Greninja's reveal. The initial reveal was partial as it only confirmed the stage with the info that you fight on top of the tower at one point. 2 weeks after (so 2 weeks before reveal), almost every remaining info was given. We are now aware of how this stage acts, but there's one thing he wasn't clear. The location of the stage is from the 6G and so far, no 6G pokemon was confirmed. So, people assumed it was to rep existing one while it was a hidden tease to a 6G pokemon rep.

Result: Greninja was confirmed in the direct, but on the same trailer, a WiiU stage was revealed. Again, this was for trailer setup and it may even be related to a mewtwo tease, but this one is so unclear that I'm not sure if it is one. I'll let you think what you want on this, but the stage was a hidden tease.

Another one!

Palutena's Temple: Revealed with almost no info to then show the complete layout in the direct. Infos came progressively as the stage itself was teased. It wasn't clear who it repped between pit and Palutena so people assumed it was pit. But since the stage is dedicated to Palutena, it would feel weird to not see her. Here however, the direct tease was so obvious that imo, it kinda scrapped the tease. Without it though, it worked.

Result: Palutena was revealed at E3. And on the same trailer, we see her fighting on that same stage so it's obvious how it's her home. Same thing here: mind blown for the one who denied it.

HOWEVER, it surprisingly became way...way...WAY too personal to deny this for me. I have to say that I did NOT expected this to happen in ANY possible way, but because it happened, I now understand CLEARLY what other supporters lived.

It's happening now so we don't know the result, but check the circumstances, it makes way too much sense for me to deny this possibility.

??? (it's the Paper Mario stage): Ok, please, read before you claim I'm biased because what I'm going to say was me after removing most of my bias and trust me, I will NEVER think it was the truth without evidences and logic so please, read before.

The stage reveal honestly, seems like usual like what happened with Greninja. From the image, there's nothing fishy about them only that I spotted nice details. But not the captions. The first one and particularly the very first sentence along with 2 other circumstances were the tease giveaway.

1: He said "for the first time ever" to then reveal the stage immediately after. In itself, there's nothing abnormal. But why 2 POTD before when he introduced the menu, why he said the EXACT same words? There's no relation on them and if I compare the meaning, it doesn't make sense on the stage.

Let me explain. By saying that there's a first time and reveal right after, you imply that this first time would "happen at one point anyway". It makes sense for the menu because it was implied that we would get a menu and that we would see it at one point. Saying those words means that he wants to hype this first time as it was "due to happen". It's appropriate for the menu, but the stage was completely unexpected to even exist. It was even not implied to see a Paper Mario stage so why this wording is used to hype something that was "due to happen"?

It's like it was "planned before", but if it was the case, what happened before that we didn't see anything from it? This fact alone doesn't prove anything, but that was when I started to doubt the reveal. It's only theory.

2 This one though is a bit weird, but that's when I was starting to consider such a theory seriously. Because the name of the character is literally the same as the name of the series, he had to mention it in this way, but here, it was in a series context, not character. What confirms this is seeing how it seems to rep the series as a whole by repping 2 games with 8 years each apart. The thing is, since it doesn't mention the character, it's not clear if it reps generally the existing Mario characters or Paper Mario. So, I guess I'm stuck here,

3: It just fits with Greninja more now. What you have to remember is that repping TTYD on 3ds and not on WiiU, THAT would be questionable. 3 out of 4 games were released on home console so not seeing a WiiU sage here is unlikely. Though, why hiding such a stage? If it was just for sticker star, then I guess it would be OK, but that's not what happens. So, it seems fishy to not include a WiiU stage.

At this point, this is what happened: people are starting to use a counterargument claiming that because it reps the existing mario characters, it doesn't mean anything for Paper Mario. But, I just said I was stuck and it wasn't clear so, I guess it was implied. I still can't claim the opposite though...until I think about the argument itself.

And that's when I spotted it. If you think about it, using such a stage to rep the main series would be redundant. If I take rainbow road, it only represent one location of one instalment of quite a big and popular sub series. For me, it doesn't rep this series enough to treat it as a whole entity, but rather as a branch related to the main series. Not to mention that other stages like Bowser's Castle would be appropriate considering how well known in the main series such a location is.

But the second picture just break that consistency. The first picture show a game from 2012 while the second one shows a game from 2004. That's really broad for something that would be claimed as branch series related to the main one. There's even a good possibility that there's more, but just those pictures would make this stage too "out of there" to rep the main series.

It rep the series as a whole so much that it could even be considered as a whole entity that is separate. That's the issue because if it's the case, it's no longer the main series now.

Where it makes so much sense is where you put all the pieces together. By hiding his reveal and a WiiU stage, Sakurai is doing a setup for later. For teasing, he would reveal the 3DS stage, but being unclear on who the stage is for which is exactly what happened. People like me (and it's happening in his thread now) would spot the tease since I really care about his case and I checked deeper. Now, people IMPLY that it would just rep the mario series while it wasn't clear.

The existence of such an argument ironically makes this theory even more likely. Now, he will act like he said nothing and keep his mouth shut until he does what most people denied: reveal him and a WiiU stage for trailer setup.

Take Greninja: EXACTLY what would happen and it's history repeating itself FOR THE 5TH TIME!!!

Now, I know his pattern enough to tell that doing it again is heavy evidence on Ridley now. For happening the same way 3 times, me being on another case, I expect that the 5th time is very likely now.

My case is a small tease compared to Ridley. Because Ridley went into tricking us with an unknown entity and that being the shadow. We only know it's Ridley and nothing else. I talked so much that I don't even have any reason to think he would be an hazard since all the remaining are contradictory like what I just found on my end.

It got WAY too far here to deny it. No joke I'll probably have a good laugh at the "I was wrong thread". It's the biggest tease I never being part of and now, to even became to be DIRECTLY and even personally affected by them, I have no choice but to claim that I can't deny this one FOR SURE. So, I'm now comfortable to say it, but...

"Ridley is [almost confirmed] to be playable in Super Smash Brothers for WiiU and 3DS." - aldelaro5 August 1 2014 at 6:00 PM EST

There you have it. July 29 was the last event for me to claim such a statement. When I got directly involved of one of those tease, there wasn't any reason for me to not do it as I understood what happened every time. It doesn't imply the same verdict for my case because Ridley was far bigger and we will almost reach a year now, but I put my case on [quite likely] for safety. Also, I don't think any tease would be revealed after release from now on.

Thanks for the good speculation you brought up, and I wish you the best hype reveal you would desire and I would be hype too.
Well. I feel like this could have been a tad shorter, but I support your analysis of Sakurai's behavior. I'm always in support of a new series' representation in Smash as well.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I think my favourite Prime suit is, like many, the Phazon suit. That black is wonderful.

Haruhi? Are you... sure? I'm pretty sure that's Shana, man. Weaboo animu under the cut.

If that was a reference to a joke or meme or something, consider me oblivious. You can never be too sure, though!
Ah now I'm not sure. Either way her image came up when I searched up Haruhi name.

Anyways back on topic. If Ridley isn't confirmed this month, would you consider him out or as a secret character?

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
Ah now I'm not sure. Either way her image came up when I searched up Haruhi name.

Anyways back on topic. If Ridley isn't confirmed this month, would you consider him out or as a secret character?
Well we can only consider him out once he's actually deconfirmed. Because the absence of any mention of him is support for him in a way. I don't think there are going to be any "secret characters" either. Besides maybe Jiggs. So it's hard to say.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Was kinda bored, so I updated the trophy theory graphic presentation:

Trophy theory blah blah... Moving on...

I just thought of something, if Ridley gets a Meta Ridley alt, what would the alt colours look like?

And would the Meta Ridley design get updated/modified to a more Roidley type look (possibly just a re-skin)? Since using the original design would probably make things slightly awkward.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace

Well, since Corocoro will go over all revealed stages and characters... I doubt this scenario can even arise, unless Sakurai pulls an embargo on anything pyrosphere related to raise his trolling to new heights, at which point i'd count Ridley as 100% playable and a secret character.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135

Another one!

I'll admit I was a little blind sighted when it came the boxing ring stage, I just passed it off as a generic boxing ring, and even though Palutena was my 2nd fav rep, I passed her temple stage off as well because I thought it was just a Kid Icarus stage. At no point did I use part of the logic I applied to pyrosphere, which is memorable for being where Samus fights Ridley in other M, opposed to it just being pyrosphere for Hazardly's fight to stay as close to the fight as possible in Other M

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
Was kinda bored, so I updated the trophy theory graphic presentation:

Trophy theory blah blah... Moving on...

I just thought of something, if Ridley gets a Meta Ridley alt, what would the alt colours look like?

And would the Meta Ridley design get updated/modified to a more Roidley type look (possibly just a re-skin)? Since using the original design would probably make things slightly awkward.
I'm confused. What does that music have to do with this?

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Ridley to be confirmed very early this month. Before my birthday. And before coro

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340

Another one!

You missed your song there, bud.

I would be STOKED if Paper Mario was also in the game, but right now he's third on my playable wanted characters, behind K. Rool and our lovable cunning god of death, Ridley.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
You missed your song there, bud.

I would be STOKED if Paper Mario was also in the game, but right now he's third on my playable wanted characters, behind K. Rool and our lovable cunning god of death, Ridley.
I did not put it for a reason: it's personal theory.

I only put this if I want serious consideration for everyone. Problem is, because of how I became directly affected by it, it's more a personal theory than something I really want consideration.

The first essay, that I'm confident. This one I am, but this isn't the thing that should make this more believable for everyone. So, I'm personally confident on this logic, but not that it would make people think about it.

Anyway, who cares? Ridley's going to get revealed anyway and you can think what you want, but now I'm sure it will happen.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It's the music played when you have to guess the trophy, during the close-up. In the King Ki-Hunter segment Ridley's Other M theme plays.

Last edited:

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
ID: Purpose is Robin's theme and The Return of Palutena can be seen as Palutena's own theme. Ballad of the Goddess is vague but one thing's for sure: Ridley's theme was played when showing the thing that Birdley eats after Samus kills it.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Basically what TitanTeaTime said. A small part from each theme was played before each trophy was shown.

Then after the trophy and its info was displayed, you get the respective victory themes for their series reps.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Finally caught up with this thread again, whew.

Hello people of this thread, I have come to state my reasons on why I believe Ridley will be a playable character in Super Smash Bros. 4.
First off, Ridley has been teased in this game for nearly a year now when Pyrosphere was announced last summer. Then he was shown in the direct with the shadow and part of his tail. I think it's funny that alot of detractors automatically assume that Ridley is a stage hazard just because his shadow was shown in the boss portion of the April Direct. But his name was never said at all during that time or the months that followed the direct and Ridley's name still hasn't mentioned through the PotD or Sakurai himself. Sakurai is always quick and straight to the point when assist trophy is announced or some other role in the game. Waluigi and Takamaru are two big names that were disconfirmed quick and straight to the point. Questions were raised after the July trailer about Chrom's role in the game and then Nintendo officially confirmed his role as a part of Robin's Final Smash very shortly after.

Second, there were newcomers who were teased before their official introductions. Little Mac was hinted at through the Boxing stage. Palutena was hinted at when the Palutena's Temple stage was shown, but she was stated by name, only through the Goddess of Light. Then Pit gets a new Final Smash which was another hint toward her inclusion.

Third point, there are very little amount of villains in the roster. Only Bowser and maybe Dedede. I think it's a great opportunity for more villain newcomers such as King K. Rool and Ridley.

And lastly, Ridley is a major iconic character within the Metroid franchise going back to the original NES game. Metroid is the most deserving of a second rep (I know :4zss: has a separate slot, but still the same character) and the most perfect choice would be Ridley himself.

Ridley is among my most wanted newcomers and he is, in my opinion, the most deserving character for a roster spot. I have faith that Sakurai and the development team will be able to make him work with the size thing and have a great moveset to boot. After all, they did create a moveset for :4villager: and :4wiifit:. So why not Ridley? And thank you @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 for your great essays, they were worth the read. Here's hoping that Ridley will make his long-awaited debut on the field of battle as a playable character soon!!

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader

Hello people of this thread, I have come to state my reasons on why I believe Ridley will be a playable character in Super Smash Bros. 4.
First off, Ridley has been teased in this game for nearly a year now when Pyrosphere was announced last summer. Then he was shown in the direct with the shadow and part of his tail. I think it's funny that alot of detractors automatically assume that Ridley is a stage hazard just because his shadow was shown in the boss portion of the April Direct. But his name was never said at all during that time or the months that followed the direct and Ridley's name still hasn't mentioned through the PotD or Sakurai himself. Sakurai is always quick and straight to the point when assist trophy is announced or some other role in the game. Waluigi and Takamaru are two big names that were disconfirmed quick and straight to the point. Questions were raised after the July trailer about Chrom's role in the game and then Nintendo officially confirmed his role as a part of Robin's Final Smash very shortly after.

Second, there were newcomers who were teased before their official introductions. Little Mac was hinted at through the Boxing stage. Palutena was hinted at when the Palutena's Temple stage was shown, but she was stated by name, only through the Goddess of Light. Then Pit gets a new Final Smash which was another hint toward her inclusion.

Third point, there are very little amount of villains in the roster. Only Bowser and maybe Dedede. I think it's a great opportunity for more villain newcomers such as King K. Rool and Ridley.

And lastly, Ridley is a major iconic character within the Metroid franchise going back to the original NES game. Metroid is the most deserving of a second rep (I know :4zss: has a separate slot, but still the same character) and the most perfect choice would be Ridley himself.

Ridley is among my most wanted newcomers and he is, in my opinion, the most deserving character for a roster spot. I have faith that Sakurai and the development team will be able to make him work with the size thing and have a great moveset to boot. After all, they did create a moveset for :4villager: and :4wiifit:. So why not Ridley? And thank you @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 for your great essays, they were worth the read. Here's hoping that Ridley will make his long-awaited debut on the field of battle as a playable character soon!!

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

Another one!

Lovely essay. Lovely. I have similar thoughts on the whole situation, and while I am probably not invested enough personally in the other characters to properly understand their teasings (save for Lil' Mac), I feel like the Ridley tease was pretty dang smart.
When Sakurai showed Ridley, people were probably first met with disappointment. Most accepted Ridley's existence as a stage boss. However, we all know what a crazy bunch character supporters can be, right? We are willing to use the most meager of scraps for evidence, making us look like mad(wo)men in the eyes of the rest (who might be equally insane about their own characters but are also hypocrytical about the whole situation).
So. Ridley shown as a shadow. Ridley deconfirmed. Detractors laughed and Ridley supporters cried. For how long I don't know because I wasn't there, but it didn't last too long, for the insanity that is Hope soon took hold.
We began to search that scrap of footage for clues. And we did find them, in the form of shadow analyses, the behaviour of Ridley and his animations. We also searched outside of the footage, and we found more clues: Sakurai not directly deconfirming Ridley despite disliking fake hype, the trophy quiz, Ridley being ignored for over a bloody year. Those clues are not really relevant right now though.
Now, if Ridley is truly in, then I believe that Sakurai intentionally showed us the shadow so that we would go and analyze it. Because that is what supporters do. He hyped the supporters while leaving the rest in the dark.

EDIT: TL;DR: Sakurai manages to hype the supporters while fooling the rest. That is cool. Well, assuming Ridley really is playable of course. If that's not the case then he is a meanie.

The text became sloppier as I wrote. Eh. It'll have to do, it's 1:09 here for Khrists sake.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Lovely essay. Lovely. I have similar thoughts on the whole situation, and while I am probably not invested enough personally in the other characters to properly understand their teasings (save for Lil' Mac), I feel like the Ridley tease was pretty dang smart.
When Sakurai showed Ridley, people were probably first met with disappointment. Most accepted Ridley's existence as a stage boss. However, we all know what a crazy bunch character supporters can be, right? We are willing to use the most meager of scraps for evidence, making us look like mad(wo)men in the eyes of the rest (who might be equally insane about their own characters but are also hypocrytical about the whole situation).
So. Ridley shown as a shadow. Ridley deconfirmed. Detractors laughed and Ridley supporters cried. For how long I don't know because I wasn't there, but it didn't last too long, for the insanity that is Hope soon took hold.
We began to search that scrap of footage for clues. And we did find them, in the form of shadow analyses, the behaviour of Ridley and his animations. We also searched outside of the footage, and we found more clues: Sakurai not directly deconfirming Ridley despite disliking fake hype, the trophy quiz, Ridley being ignored for over a bloody year. Those clues are not really relevant right now though.
Now, if Ridley is truly in, then I believe that Sakurai intentionally showed us the shadow so that we would go and analyze it. Because that is what supporters do. He hyped the supporters while leaving the rest in the dark.

EDIT: TL;DR: Sakurai manages to hype the supporters while fooling the rest. That is cool. Well, assuming Ridley really is playable of course. If that's not the case then he is a meanie.

The text became sloppier as I wrote. Eh. It'll have to do, it's 1:09 here for Khrists sake.
That's a pretty good way to say it.

In fact, that's why I wonder why some people left here. Maybe it was just "too much"? Because for supporters, I just don't know why some here left.

I don't even want him THAT much, but I still want him. Tough, I admit that I can be very persistent and perfectionist if I care about something.

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
I feel Sakurai's Birthday (August 3rd, he'll be 44 this year according to Google) would be a VERY appropriate time to reveal an August 6th/8th direct.

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader

This may be a bit random/off topic, but that attack that Ridley uses in Subspace Emissary (the first one in this video) makes me fanboy ridiculously because of how badass Ridley is. I mean....look at that.

It makes me giddy. Don't judge. I thought it would be a good idea to talk about how awesome Ridley is, in general.

Mewtwoultima

Smash Apprentice

I know right. I agree 100% with this statement. While the shadow can catch you off guard at first. It really is just a tease at ridley's inclusion to make us think he's a boss. But when you notice the way the shadow behaves, and the whole naming thing as you've said and the fact Pyrosphere has been very secretive. You know something is fishy. Like you, I really believe it means Ridley's playable. This is even more evident as Sakurai flat out disconfirmed Takamaru and stated him by name while Ridley wasn't stated by name.

Exactly, I knew Palutena has a lot of buildup to her reveal. Ridley I think is getting the same treatment.

No kidding. We're getting more female characters, which is great. Now it's the villains time to shine!

I am confident Sakurai and his team will make a great moveset to. He made Wii Fit Trainer really cool after all and made Pac-man really awesome.

Also, good to see you get caught up on the thread.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
I just hope Ridley's trailer doesn't dissapoint like Pretty Pale Tuna's did. By outright showing her at the start. Who made that decision?

Top Bottom