• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
Larger than life baby! Seriously, this looks great.
I suppose it's only appropriate that the file size was also quite big.
And thank you! Really wish I didn't sound so generic when I am legitimately very thankful

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
So I've missed the past couple of days worth of stuff, but am I correct in guessing that absolutely nothing has actually happened other than some misinformation being spread about to crush some peoples dreams about a playable Ridley?

Also unrelated, but a part of me is scared for the size of the roster, I'm really hoping for 50-54 range or something like that since it's the next logical step from Brawl's 39 I'd think, but still I'm worried we might not have all that large of a roster. Plus the wait for Newcomers is just more and more agonizing...

HohnTTD

Smash Cadet
So this new app on the 3DS E-Shop called Comic Workshop is pretty neat. I decided to test it out with a doodle of a certain God of Death, which I'll probably finish and color later once I finish drawing the entire body.

Is Lord Ridley pleased with my tribute?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I find it kind of funny how people mistake Andrea for a dude.

Considering that, you know, "Andrea" is usually a girl's name (except in Italy apparently, although she isn't even Italian)...
One of my closest male Smasher friends is named Andrea, so I never once considered it a hint towards femininity.

Granted I did, however, pick up on subtle hints that only girls do/get for some reason. Never made it a point to place emphasis on gender in this particular thread, though, nor would I advise any of you do anything to make her feel uncomfortable lest you answer to me.

He's actually not very big at all.

A bit taller than Samus only.
This is one big case of "Angles: How do they work?"

Granted, the 1st two are of Gandrayda (while perfectly mimicking Samus), the 3rd clearly shows Samus on elevated ground, and she still gets dwarfed by him. Obviously he's still not (Meta/Omega) Ridley size, but he definitely stands taller, if not eye to eye, than the latter's arbitrary quadruped/"hunched" stance. Not that any of that matters to Ridley, since at least he survived his first fight. (My first playthrough I got so hyped at the thought of the two squaring off later on, too..).

I still can't figure out how to do it. Hopefully with Ridley it's easier.

D

Deleted member

Wait, I just realized, Pyrosphere was revealed at August 20th, you know who was born in August 20th?

Ridlivia shipping confirmed!(Andrea is going to kill me)

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
One of my closest male Smasher friends is named Andrea, so I never once considered it a hint towards femininity.

Granted I did, however, pick up on subtle hints that only girls do/get for some reason. Never made it a point to place emphasis on gender in this particular thread, though, nor would I advise any of you do anything to make her feel uncomfortable lest you answer to me.
my jokes were mostly poking fun at the fact that other people confuse her for a guy... not really aimed at her specifically, just to be clear.

i know andrea is a nice young lady cause i checked her profile page. :p

so hopefully andrea didnt take my jokes seriously.

to be honest, i view everyone equally... gender, gender identity, sexual preference, race, etc... people are people *shrug*

the only people i view differently are idiots and trash [criminals, etc]... mostly cause i dont view them as people, or atleast failed experiments in an attempt to create a person.

/blogboards

did i do that last thing right?

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Wait, I just realized, Pyrosphere was revealed at August 20th, you know who was born in August 20th?

You were right...now you are dead...

BACK TO RIDLEY....

002 (8).gif

RidleyDX

Smash Ace

When I eventually get Awakening I'am gonna make her mine :awesome:

Also 100th message! I don't always post, but when I do, I prefer the Ridley thread......... I'am sorry.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
did i do that last thing right?
I'll defer to her own advice here.
BACK TO RIDLEY....
All the Bowser love recently has me excited that villain/heavyweight centric tourney outcomes (even if they are bad) could actually be a thing.

Finals being Ridley dittos needs to be the outcome of the first post-launch tournament.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
All the Bowser love recently has me excited that villain/heavyweight centric tourney outcomes (even if they are bad) could actually be a thing.

Finals being Ridley dittos needs to be the outcome of the first post-launch tournament.
What an exciting thought, the bad guys might actually win for once. I don't want Ridley to be SS Tier though, it sucks when your favorite character in the game is solely known for being overpowered in Smash, especially since people think you only pick the character for that reason. 6 years and I'm still butthurt over how OP Meta Knight is.

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
What an exciting thought, the bad guys might actually win for once. I don't want Ridley to be SS Tier though, it sucks when your favorite character in the game is solely known for being overpowered in Smash, especially since people think you only pick the character for that reason. 6 years and I'm still butthurt over how OP Meta Knight is.
I feel your pain man, I used to main Meta Knight because I thought he was cool character until everyone called me an asshole for being good with a character that was considered broken.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Luckily enough almost all of my friends love using Meta Knight even if he is considered broken so I never have to worry about being called anything for playing as him. He was just a really cool character, and that's the reason I played as him in Brawl, not because of how strong he was considered in a tier. If Ridley was to end up the same way I'd be OK with it honestly, slightly disappointed that balancing wasn't done properly, but if we've wanted him for so long and been teased for so long, he might as well be one of the stronger characters in the game.

The wait til August just to see (August I would guess since it's the closest thing to a Metroid month we have) if he is the game or not is just getting worse and worse. Man it's starting to be crunch time for Smash and I'm salivating at the very thought of new reveals for the games. I know I've said it a bunch of times already, but I'm sure many people share my sentiments. I stupidly got my hopes up for a new character reveal over SDCC, and now I'm feeling very anxious as a result. Perhaps some things should be kept secret til the games release, but I want info NOW!

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I at least think there's some vindication to be had here that didn't apply to Meta Knight. No one doubted for a second that Meta Knight would be in (sure enough, as the first revealed newcomer in the first trailer), and for the most part a lot of the speculation fanbase had him pegged for OP/S Tier even before any true gameplay was shown (as many jumps as Kirby/gliding, hits faster than Fox and Pikachu combined, etc.).

With Ridley, I think it'd be the ultimate poetic justice if he was not only in the game as playable, but to all the "passionate" detractor's dismay, he was top tier, so they'd be seeing him A LOT. Doubles as a sort of monument/reminder to how bad the "logic/arguments" truly were, and how quickly people would immediately switch sides/use RIdley because of how awesome he played.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Alright, guys, I'm sorry. I've been stalwart until now, but my "Ridley could be playable" hope is starting to fade away. Why? I'm sorry to tell you this, but in case it hasn't been discussed before:
One of the testers for the localization team, mentioned "Some dragon-thing on Pyrosphere"...
Please convince me how that doesn't mean that Ridley is dis-confirmed.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I at least think there's some vindication to be had here that didn't apply to Meta Knight. No one doubted for a second that Meta Knight would be in (sure enough, as the first revealed newcomer in the first trailer), and for the most part a lot of the speculation fanbase had him pegged for OP/S Tier even before any true gameplay was shown (as many jumps as Kirby/gliding, hits faster than Fox and Pikachu combined, etc.).

With Ridley, I think it'd be the ultimate poetic justice if he was not only in the game as playable, but to all the "passionate" detractor's dismay, he was top tier, so they'd be seeing him A LOT. Doubles as a sort of monument/reminder to how bad the "logic/arguments" truly were, and how quickly people would immediately switch sides/use RIdley because of how awesome he played.
Sure, I'd like for him to at least be high tier, but there's usually a bad stigma around players who pick the top tier character ala Pikachu/Fox/Falco/Meta Knight, it's a bit tough for people that actually like the character for who they are in their series. I don't really hold any grudge against any detractors because they don't believe in Ridley, I only hold grudges against rude people, so I don't really care much about seeing them put in their place, certainly not enough to let that ruin my favorite character's inclusion. I guess there are always balancing patches this time though, so it could be fun to have the age of Ridley, if only for a short time.

Alright, guys, I'm sorry. I've been stalwart until now, but my "Ridley could be playable" hope is starting to fade away. Why? I'm sorry to tell you this, but in case it hasn't been discussed before:
One of the testers for the localization team, mentioned "Some dragon-thing on Pyrosphere"...
That was just a rumor spawned from a detractor group on Facebook, there's nothing backing it up at all.

Last edited:
Met my first IRL "toobigot yesterday" after a discussion (no yelling, it was civilized) his opinion seems to have changed from anti-ridley, to no opinion. I guess that is an improvement!

EDIT: wasn't the pyrosphere dragon comment already proven as false in this thread as a facebook troll or something?

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, for starters, do you have proof that that was said?

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135

I'm hoping Ridley along with Falco and maybe Jigglypuff get Air Smashes, of course the 2 vets would have to be rebalanced. Just find it odd they used Robin to introduce Air Smash, even if they held it off I wish they would have saved it for Ridley if he makes it into the final roster.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
The sad thing is about an hour ago I went on Twitch and went to Yungtown's Stream (he's playing PM with his brothers) and the first thing I hear from his brother is "Oh my god! I forgot that Metroid could crawl!".

I needed to turn off the stream then and there...

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Sure, I'd like for him to at least be high tier, but there's usually a bad stigma around players who pick the top tier character ala Pikachu/Fox/Falco/Meta Knight, it's a bit tough for people that actually like the character for who they are in their series. I don't really hold any grudge against any detractors because they don't believe in Ridley, I only hold grudges against rude people, so I don't really care much about seeing them put in their place, certainly not enough to let that ruin my favorite character's inclusion. I guess there are always balancing patches this time though, so it could be fun to have the age of Ridley, if only for a short time.
I understand the social stigma, but I figure with the balance being the way it is this time around, the most anyone will be relegated to is "at least it wasn't as bad as Brawl MK." That and I figure fans who really were passionate enough to stick by the character should have no shame in using them (that's how I plan on going about things, what with the already alleged/most likely hyperbole "Samus is best character" comments going around).

And I have nothing against detractors either. I just think it'd be funny if that turned out being the case after all the ******** on pretty much everywhere (speculation sites, Miiverse, etc.).

Please document exactly when/where said playtester said this. Otherwise I'd sooner believe one of the "My dad works for Nintendo" leaks is legitimate before some social media bandwagoning off of a rumor no one else has confirmed or even humored for any reason other than trolling.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
The longer we have to wait about Ridley, the worse it gets. If Ridley somehow is revealed as a stage boss after all this time, it would hurt more and more the closer the reveal is to launch day. If Sakurai wanted to treat Ridley and his fans the same as disconfirmed characters and their fans, not making a fuss about it, he should have done the same quick and straight to the point method for Ridley. In regarding to characters not getting special treatment, it's too late for that. By not revealing Ridley straight away and just teasing all this time, it's special treatment, regardless of the role. Palutena and Chrom both had special treatment regarding their roles - the former was teased and eventually confirmed playable, the latter was featured in a character reveal trailer (other disconfirmed characters didn't have this), but was flat out dis-confirmed. Either Sakurai is insensitive to Ridley fans, he's oblivious to us and what we want, or he planned this all along and is choosing the right time to reveal playable Ridley. Ridley supposedly being the "most anticipated boss hazard" and only one to get teased just seems a bit stupid to be honest...

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

HEY, THAT'S MY WAIFU!!

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Sort of related to Ridley, but seeing this made me want to post it here. *cringes*

image.jpg

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
it certainly seems like ridley SHOULD be in, for several reasons... he deserves a spot just as much as any of the other characters on the roster now, and there is all the evidence for him... but i just dunno... something keeps bugging me about the whole thing.

i really hope its nothing...

i am mostly running out of things to say... i might just go back to lurking until something new happens.

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
What reason does this guy have to lie?
Alright this whole "dragon on pyrosphere" is pretty much a rumor spread on fb. If you think other wise I suggest you tell the guy or whoever spread it to watch the 7 hour and 30 minute VOD on twitch and tell them to time stamp the moment they say that.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman

Lon'qu is Now Pissed..... (I shipped the two in Awakening, as they're both Feroxi)

And So Am I. Stop Shipping Ridley with people! RIDLEY IS A HEARTLESS! RIDLEY DOES NOT LOVE!

Top Bottom