• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Hong

The Strongest
THEN WHY THE HELL ARE YOU HERE?! This is the SUPPORT FORUM. You do not go to the support forum of a character and say that the character in question should not be playable. that is just stupid.....
First off, this is a support thread. Character Discussion is the forum. Ridley doesn't have a support forum yet.
Secondly, @Dark Dude in constructively discussing a 100% ideal view for the character in a civilized manner. He specifically mentioned the merits of Ridley as a boss. As long as it's constructive, related to the subject and no flaming is involved. it is 100% okay. Robin thread had plenty of detractors before she was confirmed, and we handled their viewpoints fairly. No reason to make an exception here, and no reason to ask people to leave.

He has done nothing wrong. However, calling another user or their views "stupid" is flaming, and I would advise against it.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
You misunderstood. Sakurai going out of his way to deconfirm Ridley and not K. Rool, Krystal, etc. would be special treatment. If he were to deconfirm Ridley, then other supporters would want their character of choice to be either confirmed or deconfirmed.
You mean like Sakurai didn't go out of his way to decofirm Chrom, after Chrom clearly stated maybe next time and was seen in Robin's final Smash. But not only was it confirmed that Chrom was not playable in a Miiverse post, he flat out explained why in a interview why he wasn't in, are you implying that isn't special treatment?

Also in krsytal's case, there was no indication of her being in, there's no reason for Sakurai to just flat out decofirm her as playable. And only possible hint of king K. Rool is kremlings. Ridley's shadow pretty much confirms he's in we just don't know in what manner, so saying its special treatment to confirm or deconfirm him is nonsense.

Last edited:

Khoru

Smash Champion
hey so i can't find it on google image search
someone toss the picture of ridley disguised as charizard at me
i need it for reasons

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
You misunderstood. Sakurai going out of his way to deconfirm Ridley and not K. Rool, Krystal, etc. would be special treatment. If he were to deconfirm Ridley, then other supporters would want their character of choice to be either confirmed or deconfirmed.
the thing is that krystal, krool and company haven't been teased. we KNOW that ridley is in the game, thats undeniable, but his role have been left very vague, no other character role have been that vague, maybe except Palutena...

If he suddenly showed a 11 seconds video of a smash run kremlin walking, and a shadow that looked like Krool while saying other reptiles could appear in smash run, yeah, K rool would be in teh same boat as Ridley.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Dark Dude isn't so bad. We've had much worse detractors coming in here, and he has his own opinion.

Just like I think Ridley would be a great playable character with flight as his main asset.

And as for bosses, Nightmare/Queen Metroid or bust.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
the thing is that krystal, K. rool and company haven't been teased. we KNOW that ridley is in the game, thats undeniable, but his role have been left very vague, no other character role have been that vague, maybe except Palutena...

If he suddenly showed a 11 seconds video of a smash run kremlin walking, and a shadow that looked like K. rool while saying other reptiles could appear in smash run, yeah, K. rool would be in teh same boat as Ridley.
Edit: God i've written K. rool the 3 times different

Stupid me.. hitting reply button instead of edit :c

well, I can't wait to try tanooki Ridley if he is playable (there this post now isn't just trash :D)

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Pure Accident: when I'm offstage, stuck gliding in the opposite direction of the stage.
Tap shield or attack button to cancel it...you already know it i guess...
tap jump, tap it again, but hold it, tadaaa, Mk, Pit or Charizard are now gliding
Oh, thanks for info.
Dark Dude isn't so bad. We've had much worse detractors coming in here, and he has his own opinion.

And as for bosses, Nightmare/Queen Metroid or bust.
I agree with that. There was that guy with Kirby icon and another one with Little Mac icon and they didn`t even tried.

No love for Kraid? :sadsheep::bowser:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
hey so i can't find it on google image search
someone toss the picture of ridley disguised as charizard at me
i need it for reasons
Is this what you're looking for? It's kind of my "thing".

If not, I've never seen it the other way around...

Last edited:

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
First off, this is a support thread. Character Discussion is the forum. Ridley doesn't have a support forum yet.
Secondly, @Dark Dude in constructively discussing a 100% ideal view for the character in a civilized manner. He specifically mentioned the merits of Ridley as a boss. As long as it's constructive, related to the subject and no flaming is involved. it is 100% okay. Robin thread had plenty of detractors before she was confirmed, and we handled their viewpoints fairly. No reason to make an exception here, and no reason to ask people to leave.

He has done nothing wrong. However, calling another user or their views "stupid" is flaming, and I would advise against it.
My Bad. There really is no excuse for what I said. I will try my hardest to avoid issues like this in the future

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Tap shield or attack button to cancel it...you already know it i guess...

Oh, thanks for info.

I agree with that. There was that guy with Kirby icon and another one with Little Mac icon and they didn`t even tried.

No love for Kraid? :sadsheep::bowser:
Well, Kraid will presumably make an appearance in Smash Run, so there's that.

But Nightmare is a perfect candidate for a boss hazard, and the Queen Metroid has to make an appearance beyond collectible trophies.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Well, Kraid will presumably make an appearance in Smash Run, so there's that.

But Nightmare is a perfect candidate for a boss hazard, and the Queen Metroid has to make an appearance beyond collectible trophies.
No Brinstar stage? RUINED FOREVER!

What about Phantoon? Or Meta Ridley Metroid Prime? Or Rundas? Or...that d*mn fourth boss in Metroid Prime...or was it 3rd? That giant plant something monster.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
No Brinstar stage? RUINED FOREVER!

What about Phantoon? Or Meta Ridley Metroid Prime? Or Rundas? Or...that d*mn fourth boss in Metroid Prime...or was it 3rd? That giant plant something monster.
Brinstar Depths can still return on the Wii U, which would be preferable because HD Kraid would be so insanely awesome.

Meta Ridley would be a lousy boss since he's technically the same as the original Ridley, if we're going to have two Ridleys might aswell make the original one the playable version, and Rundas is a bit too small (lul) for the Smash standards. Flaahgra might be a bit immobile, but he can still work I guess. I mostly want Kraid personally, but Crocomire, Draygoon, Phantoon or Nightmare would also be awesome choices.

The giant plant monster is actually the second boss I believe *slides glasses up nose causing a ultra shiny reflection*
Parasite Queen -> Hive Totem -> Flamethrower thingy -> Flaahgra.

He's the fourth boss.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ridley is one of the biggest characters, however, unlike most big chars(Bowser and DK), he's very light to accomodate his aerial playstyle, as a drawback, he is sluggish in the ground, while he's easy to KO, he has an almost perfect recovery.
Model would be based of

As it the best design, imo, to be scaled down without using steroids
Has 3 jumps and hovering a la Peach
P.S.: Sorry for no percentages of damage, I'm not too much in this kinda of thing
Standard A combo and finisher: Claw attack rampage just like in Other M finishing with a tail swipe, long rane but terrible power
Side tilt: Awkwardly bites forward, again, long rane but terrible power
Down tilt: Claw attack aimed 45° under him, terrible range, slow start up lag but the most powerful of his standards
Up tilt: Tail thrust aimed up from his back, slow start-up lag, tail blade is more powerful than the other parts of it, has the greatest knockback of the standards
Dash attack: Ridley bites while charging forward, slow start-up lag but powerful
All Smash attacks have a "tip" on the tail similar to Marth's blade
Side Smash: pic for reference

Long range, powerful, but slow start up and ending lag, terrible knockback
Up Smash: Swipes his tail over him, fast and good range, but terrible power and knockback
Down Smash: Swipes the tail around him, long ending lag, but decent power
Tail tip included
Neutral Air: Swipes the tail around him just like the Super Metroid fight, fast, covers all sides of him, not much power though
Forward Air: Tail thrust forward, fast, powerful and great knockback, has long ending lag
Back Air: Swipes the tail at his back 3 times with the last one having more knockback
Up Air: Similar to the Up-Smash, has slow start up lag but has great knockback
Down Air: Stall-and-fall, pogo tail from SM, has Meteor Smash effect, Ridley jumps out of it just like in Greninja's down air
Neutral B: Fire Ball: A big and slow fire ball, based of from Bowser's custom moves(don't have the video where it is used now)
Side B: Dragon Claw: Ridley dashes like C. Falcon's Raptor Boost, if it connects, Ridley grabs the opponent, jumps and slams it on the ground(Similar to Bowser's Side B, but ending is similar to Charizard's Seismic Toss(I think it was that?) in the anime), suicidal move if used off the stage, doesn't leave him in helpless state if misses
Down B: Darken Skin: Works as a shield, the more you charge, the more you'll be able to use it, only Samus's Super Missile can destroy it, if timed perfectly, work as a perfect shield and lasts 5 seconds
Up B: Activate Flight: Basically, Pit's old Up B, doesn't leave him in helpless state

Obligatory Meta Ridley
Rosalina
Jigglypuff
Nana
Palutena
Rayman :troll:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Brinstar Depths can still return on the Wii U, which would be preferable because HD Kraid would be so insanely awesome.

Meta Ridley would be a lousy boss since he's technically the same as the original Ridley, if we're going to have two Ridleys might aswell make the original one the playable version, and Rundas is a bit too small (lul) for the Smash standards. Flaahgra might be a bit immobile, but he can still work I guess. I mostly want Kraid personally, but Crocomire, Draygoon, Phantoon or NIghtmare would also be awesome choices.

Parasite Queen -> Hive Totem -> Flamethrower thingy -> Flaahgra.

He's the fourth boss.
Yeah, i would pay to see tha- oh...wait...

I added Meta Ridley as a joke and forgot to use "strike-through"...um...effect...whatever for it. Rundas was at least 2x taller than Samus/as big as Ridley.

Oh, so, my joke actually works and it is that d*mn fourth chaos emerald boss?

Ridley is one of the biggest characters, however, unlike most big chars(Bowser and DK), he's very light to accomodate his aerial playstyle, as a drawback, he is sluggish in the ground, while he's easy to KO, he has an almost perfect recovery.
Model would be based of

P.S.: Sorry for no percentages of damage, I'm not too much in this kinda of thing
Standard A combo and finisher: Claw attack rampage just like in Other M finishing with a tail swipe, long rane but terrible power
Down tilt: Claw attack aimed 45° under him, terrible range, slow start up lag but the most powerful of his standards
Up tilt: Tail thrust aimed up from his back, slow start-up lag, tail blade is more powerful than the other parts of it, has the greatest knockback of the standards
Dash attack: Ridley bites while charging forward, slow start-up lag but powerful

Up Smash: Swipes his tail over him, fast and good range, but terrible power and knockback
Tail tip included
Neutral Air: Swipes the tail around him just like the Super Metroid fight, fast, covers all sides of him, not much power though
Forward Air: Tail thrust forward, fast, powerful and great knockback, has long ending lag
Back Air: Swipes the tail at his back 3 times with the last one having more knockback
Down Air: Stall-and-fall, pogo tail from SM, has Meteor Smash effect, Ridley jumps out of it just like in Greninja's down air
Neutral B: Fire Ball: A big and slow fire ball, based of from Bowser's custom moves(don't have the video where it is used now)
Side B: Dragon Claw: Ridley dashes like C. Falcon's Raptor Boost, if it connects, Ridley grabs the opponent, jumps and slams it on the ground(Similar to Bowser's Side B, but ending is similar to Charizard's Seismic Toss(I think it was that?) in the anime), suicidal move if used off the stage, doesn't leave him in helpless state if misses
Down B: Darken Skin: Works as a shield, the more you charge, the more you'll be able to use it, only Samus's Super Missile can destroy it, if timed perfectly, work as a perfect shield and lasts 5 seconds
Up B: Activate Flight: Basically, Pit's old Up B, doesn't leave him in helpless state

Obligatory Meta Ridley
Rosalina
Jigglypuff
Nana
Palutena
It would be better if only explosions instead of super missile would be able to remove that "armor". Everything else is fine...except for neutral and side special - i would like them to be something like flamethrower (neutral special) and Ridley`s grab from Other M, but with floor instead of wall and ending with just throwing opponent away or in the air.
And concept art Roidley looks worse than real Roidley for me. A little bit too much human-like for Ridley.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Rundas was at least 2x taller than Samus/as big as Ridley.
He's actually not very big at all.

A bit taller than Samus only.

Model would be based of

Tail tip included

Obligatory Meta Ridley
Rosalina
Jigglypuff
Nana
Palutena
That Down-B is insanely overpowered, and the Up-B might be a bit redundant with the Peach-esque float, but the rest is good, even if I'd prefer a stream of fireballs instead of the Bowser custom move. Also, lol at the S-Supports :p Ridley for Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
He's actually not very big at all.

A bit taller than Samus only.

That Down-B is insanely overpowered, and the Up-B might be a bit redundant with the Peach-esque float, but the rest is good, even if I'd prefer a stream of fireballs instead of the Bowser custom move. Also, lol at the S-Supports :p Ridley for Fire Emblem.
which shows us that memory can be treacherous sometimes... i get the feeling that people that say that Ridley is massive in all it's appereances, is mostly due to their memories more than actual sizes.

In a game full of massive bosses, Ridley isn't that Big by context.

D

Deleted member

I thought he was bigger...maybe that is because his model is close to Omega Ridley in terms of size unless i am wrong again.
"PotD. Rundas is huge! No wait, it's Ridley that is small! The Metroid series always f*** with size"

Exegguter

Smash Lord
I think ridley's specials should be:

B: fireballs, like the first move he did in his zero mission boss fight. Lots of fireballs, mediocre range, 2% damage per hit.

Side b: grab. Just like falcon's side b except he flies. He will hold you and do continuesly damage until you (mash) break free. The higher the damage the longer he will hold you. (Like he did in all of his 2d boss fights). I think this happened in the direct also..

Down b: pogo stick (tail). Just like all of his 2d boss fights. Eats shield and is just like dk's down b (well except Ridley goes up and down)

Up b. Fly. Mix of Rob's up b and peach her hover.

Would be perfect.

Last edited:

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
the longer this all goes on, the more i feel like we're just going to be disappointed.

too bad that picture earlier was fake... would've been nice to end all the speculation for good.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
In respones to these moveset ideas.

That side b Raptor Boost esque thing... Instead of being a bowser suicide move (as that does not fit Ridley), after you grab the player should scrape the opponent on the ground. True Ridley style.

Down B as armor is insanely overpowered

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
But y can`t crawl. At least he is a pretty cool guy. Kills Ridley and doesn`t afraid of everything.

I remember days when i thought that really was a guy and Ridley was a dinosaur/pterosaur/dragon thing.
I used to think Samus was Master Chief/Robot

Crog

Smash Rookie
Weren't aerial smash attacks confirmed with Robin? I could see Ridley having normal aerials that function like tilts, and smash aerials that function like... smashes. Yep.

Last edited:
Top Bottom