• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
The whole Chrom fiasco actually helps Ridley more than it hurts him. Fact is, Chrom was blatantly disconfirmed, and just to show that was the case, they also sent a notice to IGN clarifying that Chrom wasn't playable.
I agree.

It really grinds my gears when ignorant people say he's deconfirmed even though Sakurai or Nintendo themselves never said he was not playable.

Weavel

Smash Ace
If Ridley is a boss.. That would be so damn stupid!

What is Sakirai thinking. "Ridley is so popular and really requested. Hmm I think I'll make him a boss again. He's requested up the butt as a character but I think people would be more happy if I make him a mini boss on Pyrosphere instead. I'll tease him for a whole year just to see how excited people are for him as a boss again."

If he does that that would be so ****** up to do to his fans. That's like saying **** you Ridley fans. I don't think sakurai has ever done that before and I doubt he would do that to his loyal fans.

The whole Chrom fiasco doesn't count because Chrom was never teased for a whole year like Ridley has been.
How was ridley teased for a year? You talking about the shadow?

Malle

Smash Apprentice
How was ridley teased for a year? You talking about the shadow?
Pyrosphere stage was revealed last August, which hinted at the appearance of Ridley in some form. So it has been almost a year now.

Exate

Smash Journeyman
Was it also confirmed to be a stage hazard tho?
It was "implied" in the direct, but we haven't had any formal confirmation of it through PotD — several other stage hazards were immedtately revealed and partly explained within one PotD, and we've had no such information on Pyrosphere. Based on some observations of his shadow in the direct, and the fact Sakurai has not yet revealed him flat-out is enough cause for suspicion.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Was it also confirmed to be a stage hazard tho?
He's never been confirmed to be a stage hazard. But when Pyrosphere first appeared, this statement was noted:

"An enemy from Samus' past may appear at any second!"

Which does hint at him being a stage hazard, but it could hint at anything. And yes, it was Ridley, the Japanese POTD specifically went out and said that it was a character who "caused Samus' trauma," or something like that, which is blatantly obviously Ridley.

Weavel

Smash Ace
He's never been confirmed to be a stage hazard. But when Pyrosphere first appeared, this statement was noted:

"An enemy from Samus' past may appear at any second!"

Which does hint at him being a stage hazard, but it could hint at anything. And yes, it was Ridley, the Japanese POTD specifically went out and said that it was a character who "caused Samus' trauma," or something like that, which is blatantly obviously Ridley.
Hope aside, that just makes him sound like a stage hazard.

I know you guys are very passionate but please take a step back, I mean its technically possible he might be revealed, but don't expect it or you will just hurt yourself. I'm going through the same thing with another character and its just not worth the pain.

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
The more I think about it, the more salty I get about Dark Samus being and the prospect of other Metroid reps.

Im not going to pretend coming up with a good moveset is easy, but of the top of my head I can think of at least two major gameplay gimmicks for Dark Samus that would be unique to her:
*spoiler because not Ridley*
* Phazon Corruption. Not a special move, but some of DS attacks would be phazon based and using them on rivals would slowly raise a coruption meter (something like the oposite of Little Mac). If the meter fills up, they'd turn into a Dark Echo, a ****ier version of Dark Samus that would have her attacks but much weaker and vulnerable, and over time or after a KO it would return to normal. Since in this game it takes forever to do a KO, I figure all of this could happen within a single stock. I don't know how the puny 3DS hardware would be able to handle it though.
* Dark Echo Split. Ice Climbers with a twist. With this Side B, Dark Samus does a forward kick and spawns a Dark Echo that attacks in the oposite direction. This (harmless?) Echo mirrors Dark Samus' moves and can be used as a distraction, but one strong attack will destroy it easily. Its AI would be the most basic since it wouldn't act on its own like Nana.
Why do I bother with that? Because I got that by just playing the godamned game. Her AT does not reflect those aspects of her character. Corruption and becoming an extension of Dark Samus is litteraly the theme of the game. For example, Shadow using Chaos Control is a major plot point of his Gamecube game and in Sonic 06.
Maybe he did consider making her a PC, maybe he tought of ways to better represent her, maybe those gimmicks flat out suck and thats why she is just an AT :p

But what if he just didn't care and doesn't actually wants to give Metroid a third rep? Since Metroid is irrelevant in Japan, and for Brawl he couldn't even bother to watch the ending of Metroid Prime, maybe he is having pity on Metroid fans by just adding more non-playable in ways that more or less represent them well......

Weavel

Smash Ace
The more I think about it, the more salty I get about Dark Samus being and the prospect of other Metroid reps.

Im not going to pretend coming up with a good moveset is easy, but of the top of my head I can think of at least two major gameplay gimmicks for Dark Samus that would be unique to her:
*spoiler because not Ridley*
* Phazon Corruption. Not a special move, but some of DS attacks would be phazon based and using them on rivals would slowly raise a coruption meter (something like the oposite of Little Mac). If the meter fills up, they'd turn into a Dark Echo, a ****ier version of Dark Samus that would have her attacks but much weaker and vulnerable, and over time or after a KO it would return to normal. Since in this game it takes forever to do a KO, I figure all of this could happen within a single stock. I don't know how the puny 3DS hardware would be able to handle it though.
* Dark Echo Split. Ice Climbers with a twist. With this Side B, Dark Samus does a forward kick and spawns a Dark Echo that attacks in the oposite direction. This (harmless?) Echo mirrors Dark Samus' moves and can be used as a distraction, but one strong attack will destroy it easily. Its AI would be the most basic since it wouldn't act on its own like Nana.
Why do I bother with that? Because I got that by just playing the godamned game. Her AT does not reflect those aspects of her character. Corruption and becoming an extension of Dark Samus is litteraly the theme of the game. For example, Shadow using Chaos Control is a major plot point of his Gamecube game and in Sonic 06.
Maybe he did consider making her a PC, maybe he tought of ways to better represent her, maybe those gimmicks flat out suck and thats why she is just an AT :p

But what if he just didn't care and doesn't actually wants to give Metroid a third rep? Since Metroid is irrelevant in Japan, and for Brawl he couldn't even bother to watch the ending of Metroid Prime, maybe he is having pity on Metroid fans by just adding more non-playable in ways that more or less represent them well......
Yall might bash me for this, but as well all know we still don't know the full roaster. For all we know one of the prime hunters from metroid prime hunters could make a reveal.

We just don't know, and are letting our passions make reasons for us or possibly find clues or hints that are not there. Unless this roaster gets leaked at this upcoming tourny or whatever we simply need to stop heating a knife in the fires of our passion or its going to hurt like a son of a ***** when it doesn't come true.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Man

I like to look at that one panel of non-violent Emotion Ridley's having and imagine he's having a little flashback of his own

A tiny Ridley looks on, Ridactyls are getting shot left and right out the sky, his parents fallen before him, Eggs of to-be siblings, smashed and now he's staring up at the barrel of a Plasma Rifle, his executioner shadowed in the light, but that mask, it gleams, Tiny Ridley is terrified... yet for just a moment the attacker lowers his weapon, Tiny Ridley sees his chance and escapes through a small hole in the back of his den, he creeps his way onto a ship, surviving on scraps he swears his vengeance to those who did this to him, flash forward to RIdley finding his way to Zebes, slowly but harshly training himself, bettering himself, become a bloodthirsty leader of a gang that rises up and eventually becomes the space pirates, and now he's being offered help to get his revenge started by a strange but smart brain thing, and he plans out the attack on what was once his home, now he's doing it, taking it all back... and he's found himself on the opposite side of where he once was, knowing what he's done to get here, letting this child live will only repeat what's happened...
Hey Imma just get back to this again only Imma Flip the coin.

So this Man is looking down his Rifle at one of these Tiny Ridactyls, he's already tried to shoot him numerous times, hitting un-hatched eggs and various other things and now that he finally has a good shot... He's hesitating, sure these are a dangerous species but this tiny guy has no idea what's going on or why this is happening, lost is his thoughts he lowers his rifle and the creature escapes, he takes on final shot, collapsing the tiny hole it escaped into, hopefully it caved in and the little guy won't have to starve to death.
They're gonna be doing some impressive things in this area in the future, but now that battle seems to be nearing it's end this man is remembering a promise to a lovely dame, she's a captain and he'll be seeing her soon, He's sure she might even be "The One" he takes the time to look at the sky in thought of her, that beautiful Captain Virginia Aran.

I take liberties with this stuff alright.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
Oh hello again. Do you have anything productive to do here, or you're just here looking for trouble?
Oh, come on. That's not a very welcoming attitude. And why are you picking on me for not being productive? There are other people here making nonproductive posts. Besides, it's not like I lied. Do you not appreciate honesty?
I'm still checking out this thread, seeing what kind of evidence you guys have. Haven't really seen any, though... :(

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
Bored, bored, bored. August please be here. Direct can't come soon enough. Sakurai, just reveal Ridley's fate already. I think I'm going insane...

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
It's only next week guys. Ridley will be here soooon.....

But if we get Shulk or Chorus Kids on the day of the Direct, I'm honestly going to scream in anger.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Oh, come on. That's not a very welcoming attitude. And why are you picking on me for not being productive? There are other people here making nonproductive posts. Besides, it's not like I lied. Do you not appreciate honesty?
I'm still checking out this thread, seeing what kind of evidence you guys have. Haven't really seen any, though... :(
If after reading the second post you think there is nothing to see, then I dont think there is anything we could find that can fit your criteria. Is not like there is much to work with.

kisamehoshi34

Smash Apprentice
you don't have either any evidence that he not playable :)

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Discussion material!
Fake. The Mewtwo model was ripped from Melee, and the Ridley model is pretty much his boss appearance in Brawl.

There's more as to why this is fake, but those were the two things that I noticed right off the bat.

S/he should try harder next time.

Last edited:

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
No Ridley fan welcomes a person who wants a FREAKING GENARIC SPACE PIRATE over Ridley. Like a Goomba over Bowser.

In all seriousness though, there has been plenty of evidence on this thread.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135

Discussion material!

As much as I would want that roster to be real, have to agree it seems fake. I know Wario isn't classed as part of the Mario series in Smash 4, but I would have thought they'd still put him on the same line

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
you don't have either any evidence that he not playable :)
Well, there is that video where Sakurai talks about stage bosses and shows Ridley's wing on pyrosphere. I'd say that's some pretty reliable evidence. ;)
No Ridley fan welcomes a person who wants a FREAKING GENARIC SPACE PIRATE over Ridley. Like a Goomba over Bowser.

In all seriousness though, there has been plenty of evidence on this thread.
A goomba doesn't have a better moveset than Bowser. And mostly what I've seen as "evidence" is people choosing optimism over obviousness.

kisamehoshi34

Smash Apprentice
and it seem stupid since dk would be stuck with 2 rep and fe with 4 and starfox would have loose character?

fake.

but what if we get the ridley from brawl but little updated?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Discussion material!
Just posted this in the Leak group:

Would love the roster itself, despite unfair cuts like Wolf and R.O.B, buuuuuut every unconfirmed character that's on this uses their Brawl models, some of them are completely identical right down to their textures as in Meta Knight and Ridley's cases, and their renders stick out like sore thumbs in that they're not as flat looking as the confirmed characters. Shulk's is definitely the worst, his "render" seems to be taken from an in-game shot judging from the black line at the right side of his head and the lighting.

Then there are minor things like Villager and Pit's icons not reaching the edge, the top screen being too skewed for its perspective, a weird shadow behind Peach, the red frame around Luigi's box reaching outside the screen, and... yeah, it just doesn't work. It's a somewhat neat mock-up regardless.
It's fake as heck.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Discussion material!
Oh boy.

Wario, Ganondorf, Falco, Ness, Jigglypuff, Ice Climbers, Ridley, Meta Knight, and Mr. Game & Watch's model/art pulled straight from Brawl. Mewtwo from Melee. Shulk is his very outdated Xenoblade Chronicles model.
Terrible placement of characters.

Next.

Last edited:

kisamehoshi34

Smash Apprentice
Well, there is that video where Sakurai talks about stage bosses and shows Ridley's wing on pyrosphere. I'd say that's some pretty reliable evidence. ;).
he got hinted but not confirmed like people here did with the shadow to prove that he can be playable :) that good evidence and if he was not playable sakurai would have said in potd some day after the direct to make it clear like he did with chrom.

Last edited:

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
What if he's unlockable?

DUN DUN DUN!
*Dramatic Lightning Flash*
...Goombowser?
Well, there is that video where Sakurai talks about stage bosses and shows Ridley's wing on pyrosphere. I'd say that's some pretty reliable evidence. ;).
I'm just going to keep this short and simple, seeing as you seem adamant that this thread lacks evidence. In every single occurrence of a deconfirmation, Sakurai outright deconfirmed the character's appearance, whether in a direct or in a pic of the day, particularly the pics of the day. The two (presumed) known boss characters have been shown off in pics of the day. Ridley has not.

In more reliable news, it seems Metroids are also enemies in Smash Run on top of being ATs as can be seen in a recent Famitsu scan.

I guess Ridley could be a Smash Run boss if he isn't playable so that he also has a noteable role in the 3DS version.
Does Smash Run even have confirmed bosses?

Last edited:

kisamehoshi34

Smash Apprentice
metaknight don't look that much from brawl since the icon is not the same and wario either he look more updated like other character in smash 4.
I don't say is not fake but some model or icon are not the same

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
In more reliable news, it seems Metroids are also enemies in Smash Run on top of being ATs as can be seen in a recent Famitsu scan.

I guess Ridley could be a Smash Run boss if he isn't playable so that he also has a noteable role in the 3DS version.
Oh yeah, Metroids are indeed an enemy in Smash Run. I encountered one near the end while playing as Marth at the SDCC. They're still ATs in the 3DS version.

But I don't think Ridley will be a Smash Run boss. IIRC, a Nintendo rep said to Gamexplain that the Metroid Smash Run boss was Kraid, and assuming what he said was true, then I would think Kraid would be the non-playable villain rep for Metroid on 3DS.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
metaknight don't look that much from brawl since the icon is not the same and wario either he look more updated like other character in smash 4.
I don't say is not fake but some model or icon are not the same
Not the same icons, but the same models. It's easy to pose Brawl models differently and then make your own render considering how accessible the models are, and that's what's been done here.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
Sakurai probably hasn't thought that he needed to deconfirm Ridley as a playable character since, you know, you already talked about him while talking about stage bosses. I haven't seen him go out of his way to deconfirm Yellow Devil or Nabbit as playable characters, either.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Well, there is that video where Sakurai talks about stage bosses and shows Ridley's wing on pyrosphere. I'd say that's some pretty reliable evidence. ;)
You do realise Sakurai is very well aware of the fan outcry for Ridley, correct? Why would he hide him for this long? Maybe in the direct he wasn't finished, but are you going to tell me they can't finish the boss in a few MONTHS? Nope.
A goomba doesn't have a better moveset than Bowser. And mostly what I've seen as "evidence" is people choosing optimism over obviousness.
This implies Ridley has no moveset potential. Hilarious.
Explain why he's about Bowser sized on a rather large stage? And hidden? And does things only a playable character would and not a boss?

Also what is the reason you do NOT want him in. I doubt you think it's because he's to big as you seem to be intelligent.

EDIT: Nabbit and Yellow Devil were completely shown, not just a tease and a wing. It was explained what they do. They were also referred to by name. That is all Sakurai has to do with Ridley. Use one POTD. So why won't he? The other 2 are much clearer deconfirmations then Ridley's.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Does Smash Run even have confirmed bosses?
Yeah, there are event bosses in there, including Bonkers and Bulborb in videos/pictures, and people have reportedly also met Galleom in it.

Oh yeah, Metroids are indeed an enemy in Smash Run. I encountered one near the end while playing as Marth at the SDCC. They're still ATs in the 3DS version.

But I don't think Ridley will be a Smash Run boss. IIRC, a Nintendo rep said to Gamexplain that the Metroid Smash Run boss was Kraid, and assuming what he said was true, then I would think Kraid would be the non-playable villain rep for Metroid on 3DS.
Yeah, I've heard that story, but I'm going to wait for a more reliable confirmation on that before I'm going to buy that. I do think Kraid would be an awesome boss though.

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
When they say "full version" does that mean that someone who's actually playing the game can potentially unlock characters via playing? Cause that's one way to unlock characters according to past SSB games. I feel like the roster is still gonna be bigger than expected. 50-55 seems to ideal... Sakurai always said that when ever he makes a smash game, he treats it like it's the last one we'll ever see.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Sakurai probably hasn't thought that he needed to deconfirm Ridley as a playable character since, you know, you already talked about him while talking about stage bosses. I haven't seen him go out of his way to deconfirm Yellow Devil or Nabbit as playable characters, either.
He knows Ridley is highly requested, and Chrom being disconfirmed very quickly proves something

Top Bottom