• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Zynux

Smash Lord
Wouldn't that give Nintendo more of a reason to outright reveal him as a stage hazard, assuming that he is indeed one? If they are aware of the controversy regarding his inclusion, I imagine that they would put their foot down on the matter and outright disconfirm him if he isn't playable. But it's been 11 months since the teasing began, and we still haven't had full closure.

I honestly can't see them doing this unintentionally.

It's kind of ironic that our size estimates for Ridley since the Direct are actually somewhat smaller than the mockups we made over the past months.
To be fair, Nintendo of America is very aware of the situation. Whether Sakurai/Sora/Namco/HAL Laboratories are aware (or even care) is another story entirely.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
The Smash fandom really does have some of the worst members in the Nintendo fanbase.
I don't know about that...well I actually I do haha. I don't see this kind of crap in the Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Pokemon, Starfox, or Fire Emblem fanbases. So yeah you're right.

It's an Internet thing, and a human problem. People can say whatever they want no matter how mean or abusive via the Internet with little immediate or long-term negative consequences barring guilt, shame, and self-loathing.

And @ Zynux Zynux I'm sure Sakurai and team are aware of the situation. I could list him retweeting the glass window fan art and responding to his PotD regarding people realizing Little Mac's pink sweatshirt wasn't in the demo as examples of Sakurai at least acknowledging outside responses.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
To be fair, Nintendo of America is very aware of the situation. Whether Sakurai/Sora/Namco/HAL Laboratories are aware (or even care) is another story entirely.
I don't think they would comment on the situation to that fan though, unless there was good news in store

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
That's not good 0.0
yeah... if its "painful" for them, they must know what is coming... but cant stop the damage, cause they arent allowed to talk about it.

which means we likely arent getting ridley and all hell is going to break loose.

goddamn it.

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
Here is how I would like Ridley's trailer to go

-smash logo shows
-Samus is in the middle of a nondescript battlefield
-She is pointing her gun and fires a couple of shots
-It is then shown that a couple of metroids are frozen as the fall to the ground (no anti gravity ice beam here)
-As she is finishing off those two she hears one coming from behind
-She then turns around as one then charges at her almost grabbed her
-The metroid then freezes and you see ice Kirby behind it
-Kirby does his signature "Hi" and loses his power and immediately swallows it back up
-It then shows Pit flying up in the air as he is bashing on them
-"Man these Komaytos are really hard to take down," Pit exclaims "and there just seems to be no end to them!"
-It then shows a metroid hatchery with a metroid queen lying out more eggs
-"I guess we have to take care of that thing now don't we?" Pit asks rhetorically
-Just as they are about to charge they hear a screech coming off from the distance
-It then shows Ridley and exclaims "Ridley makes a big entrance"
-He then charges and takes down the metroid queen in a single attack
-"I don't suppose that he is a friendly dragon then?" Pit questions
-Samus says nothing as she starts to aim her gun towards Ridley
-Ridley then turns around with the queens neck in his mouth staring at them
-He drops the queen to let off a deafening scream
-"Well I guess that answers that." Pit says
-Kirby and Pit then join in as they ready their weapons against the new foe
-Ridley then lifts off the ground and charges at his victims

-then cue scene of Ridley beating the crap out of them, and showing off his new play style

-"Well I guess he was too much, forgive me Palutena." Pit says as he falls down
-It then pans across as it shows the other warriors as they failed to defeat the beast

Well this is something of how I would like for the trailer to go, but I know it's not how it is going to happen. Still I would like your thoughts on what you think of it.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I'm a big dummy when it comes to this kind of stuff, but is it possible for them to be playing a complete version of the game with some characters/stages/features omitted? As in, they're playing the complete game, but have limited access to things?

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
UPDATE as per Sakurai's Twitter:

Loose translation:
It is important the full game be there. I let it decide, but I will not reveal more than necessary.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I'm a big dummy when it comes to this kind of stuff, but is it possible for them to be playing a complete version of the game with some characters/stages/features omitted? As in, they're playing the complete game, but have limited access to things?
Playing complete game with some of the content of it blocked? Maybe. But it couldn`t be complete game since its not even close to release date if it is WiiU version. They couldn`t have completed it so soon.

Wait...they will have completed 3DS version...i hope it has everything unlocked and has Ridley then...

Is it possible to view files of 3DS game? Just view them. That would help find the truth faster than trying to unlock everything.

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Playing complete game with some of the content of it blocked? Maybe. But it couldn`t be complete game since its not even close to release date if it is WiiU version. They couldn`t have completed it so soon.

Wait...they will have completed 3DS version...i hope it has everything unlocked and has Ridley then...

Is it possible to view files of 3DS game? Just view them. That would help find the truth faster than trying to unlock everything.
Hahaha, they'd have to steal a copy of it.

Also Sakurai tweeted that it was the completed version of the game that will be played at Coro.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It's Nintendo Treehouse's job to delegate information to Sakurai, and with all the teasing no doubt he knows. The question as always remains if he can pull it off or even thinks its possible.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
i doubt we will get any information from it that we dont already know... also, how do you expect them to view the files, bagan?

steal the copy of the game from the tournament and run home and examine the data?

so much evidence supporting ridley... but still a really negative feeling hanging over me.

DAMN IT! I AM GOING INSANE OVER THIS WAIT!

TELL US ALREADY, SAKURAI!!!

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
After reading the original post, I can now easily say that Ridley will be playable. There's so much supporting detail that saying he won't is a bit dumb right now.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
There's something which I just noticed recently about what Sakurai said a while back

For arguments sake say the toobigots were right (scary thought), but..

Sakurai said:
I think that would probably be impossible. [laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that have been all right? [laughs]
If Ridley was too big, or even couldn't have a move set work for him, then why does Sakurai only say he would be a little slow? Wouldn't something like Size be a much bigger issues, which is odd since he only mentions speed.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
i doubt we will get any information from it that we dont already know... also, how do you expect them to view the files, bagan?

steal the copy of the game from the tournament and run home and examine the data?
No. Buy the game after its release on 3DS. Like everyone else will do after it will be released. So, everything is legal. That was kinda obvious...i wasn`t talking about that Coro something.
There's something which I just noticed recently about what Sakurai said a while back

For arguments sake say the toobigots were right (scary thought), but..
(Sakurai`s quote)
If Ridley was too big, or even couldn't have a move set work for him, then why does Sakurai only say he would be a little slow? Wouldn't something like Size be a much bigger issues, which is odd since he only mentions speed.
Maybe compared to how fast is he in Metroid games? Anyway, this proves that Ridley`s size doesn`t matters for Sakurai, but his speed does.
Oh, and it looks like he never tried to make him playable in Brawl.

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
And @ Zynux Zynux I'm sure Sakurai and team are aware of the situation. I could list him retweeting the glass window fan art and responding to his PotD regarding people realizing Little Mac's pink sweatshirt wasn't in the demo as examples of Sakurai at least acknowledging outside responses.
For the record, I am also confident that Sakurai is at least aware of Ridley. However, @RomanceDawn original post seems to be in the context that Nintendo of America was aware of Ridley. I just want to clarify that even if Nintendo of America is aware of Ridley, it's not going to change anything over with the developers (and it won't convince them to reveal Ridley's fate sooner because it's Nintendo of Japan calling all the shots).

I don't think they would comment on the situation to that fan though, unless there was good news in store
Not necessarly, they could be bringing it up because they are dreading the eventual backlash from the Space Pirates :demon:. Either way, I'm curious to how the conversation came up in the first place. Would give some insight on the context of the situation.

It's Nintendo Treehouse's job to delegate information to Sakurai, and with all the teasing no doubt he knows. The question as always remains if he can pull it off or even thinks its possible.
If that's the case, if Ridley is not playable I'm much more confident we may actually get a explicit answer as to why, similar to Chrom. Ridley is getting huge (:denzel:) in popularity when it comes to Smash; similar to Chrom it may not be something he will not ignore.

So, it's a tournament of the 3DS version. However, I'm not confident we will see Ridley at all. Unless:
1. Pyrosphere is also on the 3DS version (Oh Lord I hope this is not the case)
2. If for some reason the 3DS version has the entire roster unlocked, which I heavily doubt.

Last edited:

Bobomberman

Smash Cadet
Yeah basically unless Ridley's in the "starting roster" or Pyrosphere is in the game, we still won't learn anything Ridley-wise.

Bobomberman

Smash Cadet
Btw I was at Comic Con and playing a T-Shirt match, and claimed "if I win this Ridley is confirmed!" I then won. I'm pretty sure we can add that to the front page right?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Btw I was at Comic Con and playing a T-Shirt match, and claimed "if I win this Ridley is confirmed!" I then won. I'm pretty sure we can add that to the front page right?
That is not necessary. Sakurai already told me that Ridley is playable...but
He is paired with his cat and
The cake is a lie

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I just hope at one point or another Ridley uncloaks his genitals for all to see. The Metroid series could start a new trope alongside "Samus is a Girl": I would dub thee "Ridley has balls."

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I just hope at one point or another Ridley uncloaks his *um...beep?* for all to see. The Metroid series could start a new trope alongside "Samus is a Girl": I would dub thee "Ridley has *beep*"
Doesn`t that breaks Rule 3 of this forum?
Oh, and Ridley seems to be reptile. And they lack such...parts...at least not visible ones...its would be better if that discussion would be dropped like a severed head of Uncle Joe that was dropped into kid`s hands by a giant dragon we all know and love.

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
@ Zem-raj Zem-raj
can I use your post on characters that have been cleanly deconfirmed?
I feel it would be pointless to type that up again, and you've sourced it very cleanly.
Sure thing, but I can't take credit for the added sources, I think they were added by @Nietona so you'd have to credit them for the added sources.

In regarding Ridley reveal, I was thinking last night that if/when Sakurai does reveal Ridley before launch, he would do an all out update to do with Pyrosphere. What I mean is, once he reveals Ridley's role, good or bad, he'll go into more detail about the stage. So, here are the options:

Option 1: Ridley is revealed as a boss hazard (booooooooooooooooo)
Worst case scenario. Ridley would be a Bowser-sized slow boss that just floats in the middle of a stage, barely attacking and is like a big piñata. This would be very much against his character. I don't think anyone sane would be happy with this representation, even a number of detractors would probably hate it. Sakurai would explain how Ridley enters the stage and what he does. Hardly anyone is happy, Sakurai takes a full-force complaints and rage from Ridley fans.

Option 2: Ridley is playable, and some other boss character is the hazard (yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy)
Second best scenario. Sakurai would explain that Ridley is playable, whilst at the same time he would introduce another boss character as Pyrosphere's stage boss. The boss could be Vorash, Rhedogian, or even Goyagma. Perhaps it could be a retro boss character (Nightmare would probably be on the 3DS version's Metroid stage if it's Fusion themed). Sakurai would show how Pyrosphere's boss character (that isn't Ridley) enters and what attacks it does. Detractors will rage, whilst Ridley fans will rejoice. The teasing and long waiting would have been worth it.

Option 3: Ridley is playable, and Pyrosphere has no boss (ohhhhhh yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh)
The best scenario. Ridley would be announced playable, and Sakurai wouldn't need to explain about Pyrosphere. Detractors rage that they were tricked about there being a boss on Pyrosphere, Ridley fans can fall on the floor with laughter. However, I don't think this option will be chosen :(

Option 4: Ridley is playable, and is also revealed as a boss hazard (*shrugs*)
This scenario is like a compromise. Sakurai would first reveal Ridley as playable, but then would also explain that, like Toon Link, if players don't choose Ridley on Pyrosphere, then he becomes a boss hazard. He will then explain what Ridley does as a boss. A number of detractors will be unhappy (but who cares about them), whilst Ridley fans wouldn't care about Hazardley since Ridley is playable anyway.

So yeah, if/when Ridley gets revealed, Sakurai will probably explain about the Pyrosphere more. I would like option 2.

Oh and speaking of option 2, I think I read a rumour somewhere that with regards to Pyrosphere, the Metroid enemies shown thus far (for Smash Run) appear on there. The boss character is "someone you don't expect", meaning Ridley would be playable and someone else is the boss hazard. Take this with a pinch of salt, but hope that this is real. I would find the source, but I can't remember where it was posted.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
You left out the possibility that Ridley is a playable boss. Or an Assist Trophy.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Sakurai said that there wouldn't be any gimmicks with the Gamepad, so a playable boss character (using a gamepad) would count as a gimmick. This playable boss business is just merely from a stupid rumour, one which people seem to take seriously. Why bother wasting time on such a gimmick when you can make those playable bosses on the roster? Also, some bosses wouldn't work. Yellow Devil's movement is limited to left and right of the stage and a few form of attacks, which would make it boring and pointless. The Assist Trophy idea isn't happening either, since we already have Dark Samus (second option for playable character), Mother Brain and a Metroid.

Zynux

Smash Lord
Oh and speaking of option 2, I think I read a rumour somewhere that with regards to Pyrosphere, the Metroid enemies shown thus far (for Smash Run) appear on there. The boss character is "someone you don't expect", meaning Ridley would be playable and someone else is the boss hazard. Take this with a pinch of salt, but hope that this is real. I would find the source, but I can't remember where it was posted.
I won't go into the massive details, but it was part of a "leak" (need to be in the Leaks group to access it) that tried to predict a character reveal at Comic Con. Of course, said reveal never took place. Thus, it's best to disregard that rumor for now.

You left out the possibility that Ridley is a playable boss. Or an Assist Trophy.
Ridley being an assist trophy would confirm to me that Metroid assist trophies are just Salt Shakers in disguise. Dark Samus getting the boot already makes me salty, Mother Brain being an assist means that it is unlikely for there be a Tourian Stage which also makes me sad, and then add Ridley on top of that? I wouldn't be able to handle it. Doesn't help the fact that Metroid having Four assist trophies, with two of them being potential popular characters confirmed unplayable would just be unbearable :cry:

Crog

Smash Rookie
Soo... I've been supporting everyone's favorite HUGE space dragon since the day I learned about Smash, and I guess I should join you guys. Hi.

Ridley was actually planned to be an AT in Brawl before he became a boss. Kinda explains his Dyna Blade moveset in SSE.
Playable bosses are debunked IIRC. Neither option is valid, but I'd prefer AT Ridley to Bossley. ATs are at least memorable and effective, while "bosses" are effectively GIANT pinatas.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't think an AT for Ridley is a valid option because we've already got 3 Metroid AT's. Ridley is either a boss or playable, and at this point, playable is the most likely option.

Zynux

Smash Lord
Sakurai said that there wouldn't be any gimmicks with the Gamepad, so a playable boss character (using a gamepad) would count as a gimmick.
It is true that Sakurai said that there wouldn't be any gamepad gimmicks, thus one should not expect such things to occur. However, I must note that Sakurai words on gamepad gimmicks were written all the way back in June 2013. A lot can change in more then a year, I feel. Also, some would argue that Amiibos are gamepad gimmicks, though to be fair I hed they will be used on the 3DS as well.

I don't expect gamepad gimmicks at all, but even with Sakurai's affirmation that they will not appear, I still wouldn't be surprised if they did find their way into the game in the end.

The Assist Trophy idea isn't happening either, since we already have Dark Samus (second option for playable character), Mother Brain and a Metroid.
I don't think an AT for Ridley is a valid option because we've already got 3 Metroid AT's. Ridley is either a boss or playable, and at this point, playable is the most likely option.
To be fair, there was never a limit placed on how many assist trophies one franchise can have. Yes, it is unlikely for Metroid to get a whopping 4, but it certainly isn't impossible. However, I would like to think such a scenario would not likely occur. Stage/Boss hazard Ridley seems to be more likely then Assist Ridley.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
To be fair, there was never a limit placed on how many assist trophies one franchise can have. Yes, it is unlikely for Metroid to get a whopping 4, but it certainly isn't impossible. However, I would like to think such a scenario would not likely occur. Stage/Boss hazard Ridley seems to be more likely then Assist Ridley.
The fact is, Sakurai teased Ridley as a boss. Either he's a boss or playable, nothing else. Why tease Ridley as a boss, and then later say "Oh, wait, Ridley's not a boss... he's an Assist Trophy!" The only reason to tease Ridley as a boss and retract it later is by announcing him as a playable character. There's literally no reason for Ridley to be an AT.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
If Ridley is a boss.. That would be so damn stupid!

What is Sakirai thinking. "Ridley is so popular and really requested. Hmm I think I'll make him a boss again. He's requested up the butt as a character but I think people would be more happy if I make him a mini boss on Pyrosphere instead. I'll tease him for a whole year just to see how excited people are for him as a boss again."

If he does that that would be so ****** up to do to his fans. That's like saying **** you Ridley fans. I don't think sakurai has ever done that before and I doubt he would do that to his loyal fans.

The whole Chrom fiasco doesn't count because Chrom was never teased for a whole year like Ridley has been.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If Ridley is a boss.. That would be so damn stupid!

What is Sakirai thinking. "Ridley is so popular and really requested. Hmm I think I'll make him a boss again. He's requested up the butt as a character but I think people would be more happy if I make him a mini boss on Pyrosphere instead. I'll tease him for a whole year just to see how excited people are for him as a boss again."

If he does that that would be so ****** up to do to his fans. That's like saying **** you Ridley fans. I don't think sakurai has ever done that before and I doubt he would do that to his loyal fans.

The whole Chrom fiasco doesn't count because Chrom was never teased for a whole year like Ridley has been.
The whole Chrom fiasco actually helps Ridley more than it hurts him. Fact is, Chrom was blatantly disconfirmed, and just to show that was the case, they also sent a notice to IGN clarifying that Chrom wasn't playable.

Top Bottom