• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I love seeing the Metroid Prime love, and yeah i agree a phendrana drifts stage would be amazing both cuz of scenery and music, but a phazon mines stage would be so sick cuz it could have space pirates attack you or the elite pirate can be a boss and the eerie spookiness of the mines would translate perfectly into a stage
Just the Phendrana music will make me happy...

This version is good to

Chriz_Sevenfold

Smash Apprentice
Just the Phendrana music will make me happy...

This version is good to
I loved Phendrana in Prime, it was so beautiful with it's scenery and music, and lol i remember when i first fought the adult sheegoth, I thought i was gonna get the ice beam, cuz you know it's Phendrana, and then when I got the wave beam, i was all like WTF :/ but yeah Phendrana was so effing awesome, especially the Pirate Research Lab, and the space pirate music better be in Smash 4 too, cuz that music is just epic, The Prime 1 version though, cuz prime 2 for some reason took off the bad ass guitar riff that I loved, and also Thardus was a fun boss fight, and it was so rewarding to finally get the spiderball after seeing all the spiderball tracks, and that area with the remix of Phendrana was so cool, and it fit perfectly with the vibe that you were on your way to get the gravity suit, but yeah, all in all, Phendrana was a very memorable metroid location :)

Last edited:

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Because the 3DS stages are usually from portable games, what do you think Ridley's home stage will be (assuming it will be from a portable Metroid, I know there's a chance it won't be)?

One of his Battle Locations? Something from the most recent portable game (if 8 years is considered recent...)?
I don't know about a stage for Ridley specifically, but I think an interesting choice for a 3ds metroid stage would be that Chozo temple from Zero Mission. It would have a pretty unique aesthetic as far as the metroid stages in Smash go.

Aside from that, I wouldn't mind one of the Melee Metroid stages appear in the 3ds version. Both of those are pretty fitting for Ridley in tone or whatever, so there is that.

Khoru

Smash Champion
i've had a revelation
gematsu is 8/11
ridley's been in 8/11 metroid games
hoenn confirmed

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
I can see that the lack of news really is getting to some...don't worry, I have a bit of a theory.

Many were upset that Ridley wasn't talked about during E3 right? Well in a way, it kind of made sense. The newcomers shown off at the digital direct were directly related to that of the custom movesets and their potential in Smash Bros as it was the big thing Sakurai talked about during said event, hence why Pac-Man was revealed later on and not at the direct, in a way it made sense.

However, Sakurai has not gone into deep detail on the Boss hazards of Smash Bros 4, which I feel will be next month as it's the only opportunity to do so. However, to start the direct, we of course get a confirmation of a character directly correlated to said part of the game...Ridley! Ridley will be shown to be the only character who's both a playable character and boss hazard, along with a full list of boss hazards for Smash Bros 4, who could basically be anyone really. Ganondorf can be announced alongside Ridley to solidify his spot as a hardened boss character in Nintendo History much like Ridley.
As much as I have very little control over it, I would hate the idea of a boss also being a playable character. I know it's possible, but it would feel weird to me.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I still really don't think "boss and playable" is a thing that's going to happen. I don't have an issue with it, and it's been done in a NUMBER of Sakurai's games, but. The Ridley we've seen and the context around it generally indicate playability.

Plus playable characters in and of themselves can function perfectly well in fighting games. They don't need the whole "Playable form and boss form" shenaniganfest.

NatP

Smash Ace
The only way the "boss and playable" thing would work is if Roidley was the boss and Ridley was the playable character. But I don't see that happening.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Considering Roidley is the one holding indication of playability, it would most likely be Roidley as both. Unless Ridley were the boss of the 3DS stage or something.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
To break the tension a bit on Shadow discussion...I have something funny that does relate to Ridley (Slightly). It's finally getting a bunch of new skins for Project M, including Ridley Charizard...and a very high-detailed Yoshi that proceeded to glitch out in a Classic mode event...resulting in this face:

My thoughts are practically your thoughts.

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
Read if you want to feel good about being a Ridley follower. All right I'm a put this argument to rest. RIP UltraNick, Shokio, and non-believers. Just felt like getting this off my chest, so I can feel good.

I'll be using this video to argue against:

Non-believer argument:
  1. Ridley is TOO BIG and you can't down scale him.
Counter-argument:
  1. Bowser, Pikmin, etc. and Metroid NES version
Non-believer argument:
  1. Brawl mods look bad. Down scaling him makes him look weird.
  2. You can't use Metroid 1 from NES as an excuse to down scale him because of system limitations. He was then made bigger in other games including the reboot.
  3. He'll play too similar like Charizard.
Objection!
  1. One thing: Neither you nor I know anything about game design. It's obvious Brawl mods look bad, amateur designer's don't have that much experience. Down scaling is not the issue. It's about redesigning and giving Ridley a look that makes him fit with in the SSB universe and yet still maintain his identity. He has been made bigger in later games because during game development the lead designer can easily say "Hey! I want to redesign this from Metroid 1 into this for Super Metroid and later maybe into Roidley". This also ties into the fact that one can easily design a skill set for Ridley without much being a clone of another character.
TL;DR: Those who don't believe that Ridley could be playable either have little faith in Sakurai's Team and their talents or they just plain hate him and don't want him in. I believe this should be applied to almost any character.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
How hilarious would it be if Ridley was still playable, but 16-bit Ridley was an enemy in Smash Run like Bonkers and 16-bit cuccoos are.

Giggles.

Malle

Smash Apprentice
Ridley ridley needs to come soon. I cannot stand the ignorance and stupidity of all detractors. I am really going nuts here, I know.. I keep being told to stay away from Miiverse and all that.. But hell, I just can't.. This meme keeps destroying everything. Shokio better get his ass handed to him when the time comes. Sakurai needs to deliver justice, and justice must be delivered soon, VERY SOON.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
still dont quite understand the "roidley" thing... is there a ridley out there that is excessively muscular, or something?

D

Deleted member

still dont quite understand the "roidley" thing... is there a ridley out there that is excessively muscular, or something?
Yup:

Other M Ridley, AKA Roidley ^.
He also looks like a duck and is thus king of the Duck Face.

Last edited by a moderator:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Other M Ridley is very muscular. We called him steroidley and it evolved into roidley to be closer to ridley.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
while i admit he does seem to have more muscle... it hardly looks like excessive muscle... i mean, his skin is still tightly clinging to his bones and he looks starved, to say the least, as is the usual.

either way, i just want ridley playable... i might just put myself into a coma until august or september.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Ridley ridley needs to come soon. I cannot stand the ignorance and stupidity of all detractors. I am really going nuts here, I know.. I keep being told to stay away from Miiverse and all that.. But hell, I just can't.. This meme keeps destroying everything. Shokio better get his *** handed to him when the time comes. Sakurai needs to deliver justice, and justice must be delivered soon, VERY SOON.
Miiverse is fun when discussing Ridley though. Sometimes they argue so bad they deconfirm Bowser by accident, heh.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
while i admit he does seem to have more muscle... it hardly looks like excessive muscle... i mean, his skin is still tightly clinging to his bones and he looks starved, to say the least, as is the usual.

either way, i just want ridley playable... i might just put myself into a coma until august or september.
But still, Roidley is much more buff than Ribley

EDIT: ATTACK ON MIIVERSE. Space Pirates, March!

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I don't get why some of you guys keep torturing yourselves by going to Miiverse/Gamefaqs/ect. and mentioning Ridley. Those places zap your brain functions. I've kept away and my sanity is mostly intact, so y'all should do the same.

Malle

Smash Apprentice
I don't get why some of you guys keep torturing yourselves by going to Miiverse/Gamefaqs/ect. and mentioning Ridley. Those places zap your brain functions. I've kept away and my sanity is mostly intact, so y'all should do the same.
I know god damnit. I am trying, but its like.. I am one of those who must have the last word, I am in a dark circle right now.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
is that guy for real?????? i mean WTF ......... i am thinking about joining this conversation just to say him how wrong he is... and i can see on the reasons the brings up that he never realy played a prime game......
Hell, I haven't played 3 of the 4 Prime Games (goes to show you right there, it was Hunters, kill me before the rest do) and I can debunk every single point the man makes...

Also:

Please excuse me while I go die.

Last edited:

wewewezing

Smash Cadet
I love how many posts are in this thread :p Its actually pretty hilarious how controversial Ridley is x_x

Regardless, Ridley 4 Smash!

We need more baddies, and it doesn't get much badder than him! ;)

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
We need more baddies, and it doesn't get much badder than him! ;)
Well there is Hades. He is a big, purple villain with an army of very incompetent minions, and survives fatal wounds numerous times...wait...

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well there is Hades. He is a big, purple villain with an army of very incompetent minions, and survives fatal wounds numerous times...wait...
Shame he hasn't ascended to the ranks of franchise villain and nemesis yet. But one day, he can be an immortal too-big purple god of death series villain too.

Top Bottom