• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
Well that conversation if you want to call it that seems like its over now.

One thing I have been meaning to bring up for how we think Ridley's going to play, I don't think Ridley should be too bad on the ground, below average for sure but not too bad, since I think his main weakness is that he's kinda light for a big body and he's got a big hitbox so I think that would balance him out.

Last edited:

Scoob

Smash Apprentice
Well that conversation if you want to call it that seems like its over now.

One thing I have been meaning to bring up for how we think Ridley's going to play, I don't think Ridley shouldn't be too bad on the ground, below average for sure but not too bad, since I think his main weakness is that he's kinda light for a big body and he's got a big hitbox so I think that would balance him out.
People earlier were saying that Ridley could be the opposite of Little Mac; all air game with no ground game. But Jigglypuff already does this. At the moment it seems like Ridley could be a heavyweight with a lot of airtime, and I agree, his large size is his flaw that makes him balanced. I just hope he ends up being different enough from Charizard to be a unique character.

Morbi

Scavenger
People earlier were saying that Ridley could be the opposite of Little Mac; all air game with no ground game. But Jigglypuff already does this. At the moment it seems like Ridley could be a heavyweight with a lot of airtime, and I agree, his large size is his flaw that makes him balanced. I just hope he ends up being different enough from Charizard to be a unique character.
As long as Ridley does not use "Rock Smash", he is going to be different enough for me. :troll:

Turokman5896

Smash Lord

This claim is completely unreasonable. Just look at posts from lots of people in this very thread! It's been commonly theorized that Ridley could be unique in that he'd be pretty much the opposite of Little Mac: weak on the ground, amazing in the air. I don't recall there being any other character like that, in fact I even mave a moveset from the very first post in this thread to back this up!

So, yeah. This point, null and void.

Use this next time!

Anyway, I think Ridley should have a beast air game, with a ground game focused on armored launches.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Since when did this become the Phoenix Wright thread?

...I think there should be a Metroid x Ace Attorney crossover.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
From GameFAQs.

Figure it out or something. You guys always do.

EDIT: Oh, right, anyway, some guy said that Ridley's shadow indicates that he's off the playable field.
omfg

I saw it. I actually saw it.

I've never actually been able to see Ridley grabbing Pikachu in that shadow before. I could just never see it.

Then, for some reason, just watching it this time it clicked in my head, and it was really clear

This doesn't change my fearful attitude, as bosses could still grab, but huh. Never thought I'd be convinced of Ridley grabbing Pikachu in that clip.

NatP

Smash Ace
omfg

I've never actually been able to see Ridley grabbing Pikachu in that shadow before. I could just never see it.

Then, for some reason, just watching it this time it clicked in my head, and it was really clear

This doesn't change my fearful attitude, as bosses could still grab, but huh. Never thought I'd be convinced of Ridley grabbing Pikachu in that clip.
Maaaan, I still can't see it. :(

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
omfg

Hum... Something just seems weird.

If he indeed grab pickachu, but move AFTER, he would have to have a grab gimmick to be playable.

Seriously, why he grabs, but move after? Normally, when someone grabs, the grabber is frozen here until he do something.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I just hope he ends up being different enough from Charizard to be a unique character.
I just hope he ends up being different enough from Charizard
Charizard

I'm sick of this ****.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
omfg

Ridley seems to hang in a more neutral position after the "grab" animation. As in, the arms are symmetrical. Which is why I really doubt that he grabbed Pikachu, since grabbing a someone demands a grabbing stance esque thinger. Which Ridley didn't do. He also didn't grab anything with his feet, because look at those feet, and the tail is out of the question too because the tail is visibly not wrapped around anything afterwards. Oh, Ridley also seems to be flying a tad high to pull that kind of stuff.
Thank god for that .gif website allowing to view the .gif frame-by-frame, and curse you Pikachu for being a vampire having no shadow.

Was having no shadow even a vampire thing? Or was it just having no reflection?

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Hum... Something just seems weird.

If he indeed grab pickachu, but move AFTER, he would have to have a grab gimmick to be playable.

Seriously, why he grabs, but move after? Normally, when someone grabs, the grabber is frozen here until he do something.
He doesn't look like he's moving while grabbing to me

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
why do people keep comparing ridley to charizard?

cause they're reptilian? does that make ridley and charizard both like bowser and yoshi, then?

cause they have wings? i guess that means pit, meta knight, charizard, and ridley are all the same, huh?

oh, wait, charizard and bowser both breathe fire... obviously, they're exactly the same.

i am sorry for my reaction, but it is kind of frustrating that people are willing go to such ridiculous comparisons over one or two similar features between characters.

on a lighter note... who posted that animated image of ridley crawling on all fours? that was an absolute PERFECT image for how ridley could move on the ground!

i truly am hoping he is revealed by next month... this will be THE absolute best smash bros. in the world if ridley is confirmed playable... and it'll be nice to see the "he's too big" joke die, slowly but surely.

if we find out sakurai had been screwing with us all for nothing... i must admit i will not know what to think... i'll still get the game, obviously... but it will be a very bitter pill to take... and it certainly will not be the oral kind.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Wait wut. Ridley grabbing Pikachu in that clip wasn't known about?

I could've sworn that was pointed out months ago.

D

Deleted member

It was around the time we converted to a lounge theme. I was part of this reddit group called the MLPLounge, or Plounge for short, and we had this running gag of a tampered, toxic water source that would cause a range of effects. I realized that Space Pirate Lounge was just one letter away from Plounge, and decided that what the Ridley thread really needed to lighten the mood was a stupid, silly, inside joke to sorta bring us closer, using something besides our support of Ridley.

Hence, don't drink the water. It can kill you, make you lose all sense of scale, ship totally random things, or worse.
Ooooo I get it. Thanks!
What @Dalek_Kolt said.

I'm the only one here (aside from him) as far as I know that drinks the water and hasn't become a TooBigot yet.

All the water's done to me is make me obsessed with Shipping, seeing as how I've decided to create the Lounge's Shipping Department.

:p

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
He doesn't look like he's moving while grabbing to me
He literally moves all the time of the clip. Unless it's just his wings if that's the case, then he would air grab which is something I see happening.

It's just that those kind of evidences doesn't clearly tell, but it would be nice to see him air grab anyway.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Ridley grabbing Pikachu was so disputed that we just never brought it up.

And as we all know, all shadows on Pyrosphere skew to the back right. So saying "Ridley's shadow is a bit in the background" really only confirms that he's in the playable plain. Silly Gamefacks.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
He literally moves all the time of the clip. Unless it's just his wings if that's the case, then he would air grab which is something I see happening.

It's just that those kind of evidences doesn't clearly tell, but it would be nice to see him air grab anyway.
That would be cool if he could grab out of the air

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Ridley grabbing Pikachu was so disputed that we just never brought it up.

And as we all know, all shadows on Pyrosphere skew to the back right. So saying "Ridley's shadow is a bit in the background" really only confirms that he's in the playable plain. Silly Gamefacks.
Actually, it just confirms he's on the same axis as the other characters. I believe the reason why they said that he entered from the background was because it does look like the shadow does that. The thing is that the shadow curves around everything and kind of creates the illusion of Ridley flying diagonally towards the Playable Axis. I hope.
EDIT: backfround is not a word you silly goose

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
To me it doesn't even look like he flies down. The bizarre angle of the picture makes a lot of things look like a lot of things.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

To me it looks like he moves to the side, stops to grab pikachu, and the it looks like he almost does a grab attack on pikachu, then pikachu breaks free.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
What @Dalek_Kolt said.

I'm the only one here (aside from him) as far as I know that drinks the water and hasn't become a TooBigot yet.

All the water's done to me is make me obsessed with Shipping, seeing as how I've decided to create the Lounge's Shipping Department.

:p
tumblr_mgprg9QUvn1rvdkmwo1_500.gif

I'm still watching you....

On a side note....Sorry that I haven't done any of the Ridley and Roidley interactions......I haven't find any inspiration for it....and if I had.....It would be really painful....and....more painful....-u- I need to get a good laugh.....

Exegguter

Smash Lord
From GameFAQs.

Figure it out or something. You guys always do.

EDIT: Oh, right, anyway, some guy said that Ridley's shadow indicates that he's off the playable field.
Holy **** he grabbed pikachu with his feet. Like in super metroid. I never saw that. Holy **** I'm in shock atm lol.

I'm so hyped for playable Ridley.

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone have a link to that slowed down gif of Ridley doing a midair jump? I need to see something.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Guys, I learned something important browsing Gamefaqs.

We as just savage Ridley supporters have NO IDEA what the frustration and suffering and hardship that anti-Ridleys have to go through is like :c We should be far more considerate to their struggles that they have to go through in their deliberate harrassment, stupidity, disrespect, and smug superiority-focused attitudes toward others who don't share their opinions about fictional characters in a mascot fighting video game.

How could we have been so wrong all this time?

I would stop being sarcastic but I can guarantee literally nothing I have to say about this wouldn't get me censored or flagged for inappropriate language.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Generally boss jumps are straight vertical jumps off-screen at high speeds, or are slight adjustments in velocity. What happens here definitely seems to be a low arc midair jump to the right immediately after moving to the left, which seems extremely un-bosslike to me. Surprise.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
i am actually curious why people have become so venomous toward ridley and his supporters... i mean, ridley is one of the most badass villains i know of... and this is coming from a person who has never finished a metroid game, or has even played much of them.

this is mostly because i suck at them. :ohwell:

but i acknowledge ridley as being perfect for smash bros., and even if people may not care much for him, which is reasonable enough as everyone has different tastes, there is no reason to be so spiteful toward him being included... afterall, why would anyone say NO to a unique new character that is also an undying space dragon?

i apologize for not partaking in the analysis/examination with everyone else... but as i have little metroid experience and even less experience with detailed analyses, i would just come off as awkward trying to do so.

Top Bottom