• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Exegguter

Smash Lord
I'm hoping ridley's down b is his tail pogo-stick that you can do infinitely like dk's down b.

Would make sense since that's his prime damaging move in each boss fight.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Oh, not leaks that won't matter again!

Ok, since it will please you, I found the most reliable leak so far and the only thing it tells is that Ridley is playable.

It's from 7:17 to 7:29. Since the leaker is Sakurai himself, this make it 100% credible.

If it's not obvious, it was a hidden message. I decrypted the message and explained it here:

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...splounge-water.324284/page-1099#post-17045763

So, Ridley is playable because it was leaked by Sakuri.

[/topic]

I think I made my point: leak doesn't matter for him.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I'm hoping ridley's down b is his tail pogo-stick that you can do infinitely like dk's down b.

Would make sense since that's his prime damaging move in each boss fight.
With a sweetspot at the tip for every move involving his tail. It also blocks attacks because consistency!

D

Deleted member

Can somebody clear things up for me? What does the upcoming event, the Gematsu leak and all that stuff has to do with Ridley?
#SOMUCHPOSTINJUSTAFEWMINUTESWTFBOOOOM
Gematsu was damaged heavily with the disconfirmation of Chrom and the reveal trailer this past monday not being Shulk's.

This essentially makes the newcomer predictions for the last few trailers unpredictable since Gematsu essentially is fairly untrustworthy with regards to informing us of who will be revealed in the next Newcomer trailer. With the validity of Gematsu now hurting, it is possible that characters not on that leak could be revealed in the next newcomer trailer since he was wrong in saying that Shulk would be revealed.

The upcoming event, presuming you are referring to Comic Con, has little to do directly with Ridley; however, Nintendo said on the Smash Facebook Page that there will "be a few surprises" while they are there hosting the Smash 3DS tournament, whether or not this amounts to a character reveal of some sort is unknown as the wording is quite vague and Nintendo's "surprises" have been underwhelming in the past. I personally believe that at best we will see a veteran reveal here, and if we do end up getting a newcomer (by some miracle), I doubt it would be Ridley.

If, however, you are referring to the upcoming Corocoro magazine release in August, Corocoro has stated that they will be recapping all of the Smash Bros. information we have gotten so far; whether or not this means only 3DS information (as in their original claim) or means all information for both versions has yet to be completely determined, however it can be inferred from their wording that they mean they will cover all of the information on characters and stages that has been released thus far for both versions. How does the Corocoro magazine help Ridley? Well as you probably know, it is rumored that Ridley will be a boss on the Pyrosphere stage on the Wii U version of Smash 4; however, Sakurai has danced around this issue for quite sometime. The discussion of information pertaining to the Pyrosphere stage in Corocoro would more than likely divulge such information as a stage hazard or boss, so if Pyrosphere's hazards are discussed but Ridley is not stated to be a Stage Boss for the stage, then it can be assumed that he is a playable character, since we have seen inconclusive footage of him in-game (from April's Smash Direct), and if he is indeed not a boss, then this footage must've been of his playable form.

Finally, there is the widely held thought that we are getting an August Nintendo Direct, as these are typically bimonthly. August just happens to hold a Metroid Anniversary Date, with August 6th being the 28th Anniversary of the release of the original Metroid game. Given that the Anniversary of the first Metroid Game (and thus, the 28th Anniversary of Metroid's existence as a franchise) is during this month, it is a belief held here that if and when we get this August Nintendo Direct, that the Smash Bros. Character revealed during the Direct (since Smash Bros. Newcomers have been typically revealed during Directs or other major events) would be Metroid related, and thus be Ridley.

With regards to the Anniversary argument itself, a number of characters already confirmed for Smash 4 have been revealed on dates on or near the Anniversary of a game in their franchise, with Robin/Captain Falcon's being the most recent with F-Zero and Fire Emblem Anniversaries being within a few days of their character reveal trailer.

These are all of the upcoming events that may hold some relation to the reveal of Ridley as a playable newcomer to Smash Bros. in the near future.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
So I got into a debate over RIdley on Tumblr

http://necroashi.tumblr.com/post/92178721368

And I'm having trouble putting what I want to say into words
I love how he says how the fact that Palutena wasn't ever confirmed to be a stage element, since Sakurai isn't clear enough about it... when the exact same scenario is being applied to Ridley.

A ridley meme for detractors when he's announced.
Careful with the cussing. You'll get eaten by a mod if you don't change it quickly enough.

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
I wish Ridley was in the Wii Fit Trainer trailer...Just imagine him doing some of dem yoga poses. Then they get shipped together and you find out Wii Fit Trainer is actually Ganondorf's cousin's dog's friends' house's roomate's uncle.

and that is how the roster got leaked

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
sorry sorry sorry!
a hug and a kiss and it will be fine ok?
i mean not a kiss of course not hahaha silly smile andrea doesnt like that you silly goose!

dont kill me :cry:

Gematsu was damaged heavily with the disconfirmation of Chrom and the reveal trailer this past monday not being Shulk's.

This essentially makes the newcomer predictions for the last few trailers unpredictable since Gematsu essentially is fairly untrustworthy with regards to informing us of who will be revealed in the next Newcomer trailer. With the validity of Gematsu now hurting, it is possible that characters not on that leak could be revealed in the next newcomer trailer since he was wrong in saying that Shulk would be revealed.

The upcoming event, presuming you are referring to Comic Con, has little to do directly with Ridley, however, Nintendo said on the Smash Facebook Page that there will "be a few surprises" while they are there hosting the Smash 3DS tournament, whether or not this amounts to a character reveal of some sort is unknown as the wording is quite vague and Nintendo's "surprises" have been underwhelming in the past. I personally believe that at best we will see a veteran reveal here, and if we do end up getting a newcomer (by some miracle), I doubt it would be Ridley.

If, however, you are referring to the upcoming Corocoro magazine release in August, Corocoro has stated that they will be recapping all of the Smash Bros. information we have gotten so far; whether or not this means only 3DS information (as in their original claim) or means all information for both versions has yet to be completely determined, however it can be inferred from their wording that they mean they will cover all of the information on characters and stages that has been released thus far for both versions? How does the Corocoro magazine help Ridley, well as you probably know, it is rumored that Ridley will be a boss on the Pyrosphere stage on the Wii U version of Smash 4; however, Sakurai has danced around this issue for quite sometime. The discussion of information pertaining to the Pyrosphere stage in Corocoro would more than likely divulge such information as a stage hazard or boss, so if Pyrosphere's hazards are discussed but Ridley is not stated to be a Stage Boss for the stage, then it can be assumed that he is a playable character, since we have seen inconclusive footage of him in-game (from April's Smash Direct), and if he is indeed not a boss, then this footage must've been of his playable form.

Finally, there is the widely held thought that we are getting an August Nintendo Direct, as these are typically bimonthly. August just happens to hold a Metroid Anniversary Date, with August 6th being the 28th Anniversary of the release of the original Metroid game. Given that the Anniversary of the first Metroid Game (and thus, the 28th Anniversary of Metroid's existence as a franchise) is during this month, it is a belief held here that if and when we get this August Nintendo Direct, that the Smash Bros. Character revealed during the Direct (since Smash Bros. Newcomers have been typically revealed during Directs or other major events) would be Metroid related, and thus be Ridley.

With regards to the Anniversary argument itself, a number of characters already confirmed for Smash 4 have been revealed on dates on or near the Anniversary of a game in their franchise, with Robin/Captain Falcon's being the most recent with F-Zero and Fire Emblem Anniversaries being within a few days of their character reveal trailer.

These are all of the upcoming events that may hold some relation to the reveal of Ridley as a playable newcomer to Smash Bros. in the near future.

Thank you for reading.
It feels to me like the last "leak" (shulk being on monday) wasn't even really intended as a leak, and more as a "good luck".
Probably isn't though. The leaker really messed up.

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Ridley's down throw should be him dragging his appomant along the ground as he runs horizontally, ending in a throw forwards.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Ridley's down throw should be him dragging his appomant along the ground as he runs horizontally, ending in a throw forwards.
I thought that perhaps his side special could be like that. Ridley dashes a set distance, and if he touches an opponent he just takes them for a ride. If it is near the ground, KKKCHHCHCCCCCHH. Wow, great sound effect.
In the air, it just ends with an aerial grab.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Ridley vs Ash's Charizard, who wins?

I know nothing about Ridley.
In series canon? Taking into account Ridley's intelligence and ability to survive constant pressure from potential terawatt level weaponry in his regular organic form, Ridley could take on every single Charizard that existed at once and he still wouldn't lose.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
sorry sorry sorry!
a hug and a kiss and it will be fine ok?
i mean not a kiss of course not hahaha silly smile andrea doesnt like that you silly goose!

dont kill me :cry:
=___= Fine. I won't kill you. You people always wanting to get me mad.....

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
In series canon? Taking into account Ridley's intelligence and ability to survive constant pressure from potential terawatt level weaponry in his regular organic form, Ridley could take on every single Charizard that existed at once and he still wouldn't lose.
And that is without taking his new "black skin invicibility" gimmick from Other M into account.

=___= Fine. I won't kill you. You people always wanting to get me mad.....
That's why we love to have you around.
Love? NO I DIDN- *knifed*

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Why is this thread still going? Can't you idiots see that Ridley is too big and is confirmed to be a boss hazard? Gosh dang guys, quit drinking water from de nile river.

:troll:/spoiler]

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Saving this for if Ridley is shown as a Stage Hazard.

On the off chance that Ridley is shown as a stage hazard, I've been saving this:

But, you know, they could always have Clone Ridley (M:OM) as a hazard and real Ridley as a playable...

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I thought that perhaps his side special could be like that. Ridley dashes a set distance, and if he touches an opponent he just takes them for a ride. If it is near the ground, KKKCHHCHCCCCCHH. Wow, great sound effect.
In the air, it just ends with an aerial grab.
That'd be cool too.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
And that is without taking his new "black skin invicibility" gimmick from Other M into account.
And the fact that he spends frequent amounts of time in Norfair in Metroid and Super Metroid, which is essentially a giant magma chamber for Zebes; hot temperatures likely aren't that big a problem for him unless the incarnation was Meta Ridley, and even then you'd need so much more heat than Ash's Charizard can throw out that it'd be pointless trying. It'd be hugely doubtful whether Ash's Charizard using Blast Burn with a SP. ATK IV of 31 and a SP. ATK EV level of 252 with a critical hit while holding a Life Orb could even do so much as open a door in the Metroid universe.

Cold, hard statistics tell us that you'd probably need to be Ganondorf to take on Ridley, and even then that's due to his immunity to anything that isn't "Blade of Evil's Bane" or something similar that would cause him to eventually wear Ridley down. In simple terms, Ganondorf > Everything that isn't Link or Zelda. Metroid's probably one of Nintendo's strongest franchises solely due to the terawatt statistic alone regarding their science, but magic OP, which is where the likes of Ganondorf comes in. There'll be other Nintendo characters that can defeat Ridley (from other franchises, of course, Ganondorf is the only one that comes to mind for me right now) but series canon-level, Ridley is pretty high up there.

Last edited:

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
I think one of the key reasons Ridley fans here get so angry at specifically Shokio's videos is that although there ARE a lot of other detractor videos on YouTube, Shokio was the root source or at least the cause of spread (to my knowledge) of the "Too Big" **** that has plagued Ridley fans since Brawl, and although that argument is easily debunked, it's impossible to deny that without Shokio spreading that, we as Ridley supporters would have not only a good few more supporters, but we wouldn't have such a hard time supporting him. Have you tried supporting him elsewhere? You get your face rubbed in dirt, man. People believe Ridley is genuinely illegible for a spot on any Smash roster, usually due to his size, and will go to extreme lengths to step on supporters due to this. If Shokio had kept his hate to himself and hadn't felt the need to make something up to antagonise (sorta) Ridley fans, we could have a much easier time with supporting him rather than it being a challenge everywhere we go.

As RabbidLuigi said, Ridley is the character you whisper quietly that you support, because you will get jumped on. This thread is essentially a safe haven you can use to talk about the guy, and even then we get a few detractors. Shokio made himself popular with people by spreading "Too Big" around, it only makes sense that Ridley fans are going to hate him specifically.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Mewtwo is also a random veteran. lol. I am not opposed to Mewtwo being revealed there, I just wouldn't bet on it.

Because of what I said: He values uniqueness. Wii Fit Trainer is unique and like we or not, Wii Fit is a game that sells a lot.

Ridley would undoubtedly be an unique character.
Mewtwo isn't random though, because he was taken out of brawl. A vet returning after being cut is a special case. I dunno. just my opinion.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
People believe Ridley is genuinely illegible for a spot on any Smash roster, usually due to his size, and will go to extreme lengths to step on supporters due to this. If Shokio had kept his hate to himself and hadn't felt the need to make something up to antagonise (sorta) Ridley fans, we could have a much easier time with supporting him rather than it being a challenge everywhere we go.

As RabbidLuigi said, Ridley is the character you whisper quietly that you support, because you will get jumped on. This thread is essentially a safe haven you can use to talk about the guy, and even then we get a few detractors. Shokio made himself popular with people by spreading "Too Big" around, it only makes sense that Ridley fans are going to hate him specifically.
This is news to me, in my eyes it seemed like Ridley was met with hopefullness, of course there will always be people that say he's too big and stuff, but he also seems to be the most wanted character across the board these days. Ridley fans really don't have it that tough.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Mewtwo isn't random though, because he was taken out of brawl. A vet returning after being cut is a special case. I dunno. just my opinion.
Especially when they're a vet planned for every game they weren't in up until now, which is pretty indicative of something. But this isn't MEWTWO TIEM, it's RIDLEY TIEM. Or something.

D

Deleted member

Since some of you are talking about movesets, I figured I should go ahead and repost the one I helped tweak/make with @ZanZero just prior to E3.

EDIT: The in-quote spoilers have been removed so hopefully that will help with the readability.

Enjoy:
Without further ado, The Moveset:

Ridley:

King of the Skies

AKA Ridley's Big Ol' Moveset v2.0
(The EXTRA LARGE Edition)

The Rundown:
As the title implies, we have decided to revamp Ridley's Moveset to make him what many of the fans have desired him to be:

A vicious aerial fighter who controls the battle from the air and is a master of Juggling foes.

Ridley's incredible air game will allow him to easily combo and deal heavy damage and at middle percentages KO almost any opponent who takes the risk of getting close when he is off the ground.
But of course, like any character in Smash Bros. Ridley will spawn in and start all of his battles from the ground.

While Ridley is a master of the air, he suffers a notable reduction in potency on the ground. Being a heavyweight, his moves hit hard no matter his location on the field of battle, but on the ground he suffers from a notable drop in speed and agility. Couple this with the fact that Ridley will be about Bowser-sized, and Ridley can become an easy target for faster opponents such as Fox and Greninja who often will take advantage of Ridley's lower speed to get in close and punish him. Because of this, it is very important to be aware of Ridley's position on the ground and space the enemy well so that he can take advantage of an aggressive or fast character's missteps and openings and get them into the air, effectively opening the way for some seriously lethal damage.

Since Ridley will often want to spend his time flying around in the air, we designed many of his ground attacks so that they would lift opponents up off the ground, allowing him to follow up with some Short Hop Aerials that can lead into some dangerous Aerial Combos. Ridley's Tilts and Neutral Combo String both either directly lift opponents off the ground or allow for opportunities to do so with later attacks; a smart Ridley player should often wait for just the right moment to lash out and get an Aerial Combo going with one of these moves. Because, while they can often get a combo started, they are still hindered by some starting and ending lag due to Ridley's significantly lower speed on the ground. Therefore I reiterate the fact that Ridley's spacing while on the ground is very important to ensure that he does not become a Space Dragon Shaped Punching Bag.

While his Tilts and Neutral Combo String are his go-to moves to help him get opponents off the ground, his special moves are his go-to spacing moves to keep those pesky aggressive players from being able to act like an annoying fly that Ridley may have a hard time swatting.

On the ground, his Neutral B acts quite similar to Bowser's, Ridley breathes a steady stream of plasma directly in front of him that can be angled with the control stick and gradually dissipates as time passes. However, Ridley, unlike Bowser, has the ability to walk back and forth whilst breathing this plasma. This added mobility augments the spacing ability of this move greatly as Ridley will be able to both defend himself while retreating and more safely approach enemies with this stream of plasma covering some of the space in between him and the enemy. His Down B is another great spacing tool, with a press of the button, Ridley lowers his body, brings his wings forward, and then begins to extend them behind him slowly, putting them in position to produce a great gust of wind that will push enemies away without causing them to flinch. Ridley's Neutral B has another unique property, when he is in the air, he will shoot 3 fireballs at a downwards angle in front of him which explode on contact. This property allows for additional spacing capability when paired with frequent Short Hops. As you can probably guess, the gust Ridley produces will get stronger as he gets more time to extend his wings behind him. Like other charge moves, Ridley will be able to save the current charge he has by shielding, although the charge will be disrupted if he takes damage while doing so. Furthermore, when used in mid-air, Ridley will send the gust at about a 45 degree angle below and in front of him, making it good for aerial edgeguarding. The distance the gust will cover depends on the amount of time Ridley has charged it. At full charge, the gust will travel a little more than 1/2 the distance of Battlefield and have a pushing force similar to that of Mario's F.L.U.D.D. Additionally, the wing flap will deal damage to the opponent, but will not cause them to flinch, similar to Mario's Cape. The damage dealt by this move at close range (the wing flap) would be 8%, which makes sense considering Ridley is a fairly heavy hitter.

Then there is his Side B:
This move acts similar to Ganondorf's Flame Choke from Brawl, albeit with different properties. Like Ganondorf's Flame Choke, Ridley will lunge forwards, however, he will not lunge quite as far. While in Brawl Ganondorf's Flame Choke covers about 1/3 of the length of Battlefield's main platform, Ridley's lunge covers only around 1/4 of the distance of Brawl Battlefield's main platform.
Ridley's lunge covers a shorter distance than Ganondorf's. However, it also deals more damage. In Brawl, Ganondorf's Flame Choke dealt 9% damage on the ground. Ridley's Side B will deal 14% damage on the ground. It will also come out fairly quickly, being similar in speed to Ganondorf's Flame Choke. In this way, it will be fast enough to catch opponents off-guard or chain with his other attacks to end a combo, but not so fast that it becomes broken. For Ridley's move, he grabs the opponent and grinds them along the ground while moving forwards before finally throwing them upwards and away from him.

Also, if used mid-air, it will not put Ridley into a helpless state if missed, but he will not be able to use it again before landing.
Additionally, this move deals additional damage when in the air, again similar to Ganondorf's Flame Choke, which deals 12% damage in Brawl when used in mid-air.

To exemplify Ridley as a serious threat in the air we decided to boost the damage for his Aerial Side B a little more than the jump in damage that Ganondorf's Side B has. Ridley's mid-air Side B deals 20% damage if Ridley manages to dive with his opponent to the ground. Once reaching the ground, Ridley will grind his opponents along the ground just like he would if he grabbed them on the ground. The move does 8% on the slam to the ground and 12% on the floor grind, with Ridley throwing his opponent away from him at the end of the move. Beware, Ridley will suicide if he does not find a platform to land on during his dive with the opponent.

We envision Ridley's Side B to be a move on the ground that will keep enemies on their toes since Ridley will be able to lunge forward and deal damage to any uncareful opponents. In the air, we envision this move to be a "combo finisher" so to speak. After Ridley gets a good Juggle going, he can finish the combo with a well-timed Side B that will deal great damage and bring the opponents all the way down back to the ground after a good Aerial Combo.

His Up B is the only one of his special moves that would not be considered a spacing move. Ridley's Up B, like those of many of the other characters, is his go-to recovery move. When executed, Ridley pauses for a moment, then flies quickly forwards in a straight line, spinning in a barrel roll motion with his wings flattened behind him and his claws extended slightly out to his sides.
This move will have omni-directional control, similar to Fox's Up B, and covers a length that is approximately 1/2 of the length of Battlefield's main platform. Additionally, this moves fairly quickly, at a speed similar to Wolf's Up B. and deals multi-hit damage, with 5 possible hits for the barrel roll motion, each hit doing 3% damage with no knockback. At the end of the move, Ridley extends his wings outwards around him, dealing 8% damage and knocking the opponent a fair distance away.
This amounts to a total of 23% max damage for his Up B.
As I have mentioned, the strength in Ridley's special moves is their spacing ability, which will allow him to keep opponents from easily rushing him on the ground. With his Neutral B and Down B being the best for spacing, and his Side B having some spacing capabilities (in terms of mind games) as well.
Ridley's Up B and Side B have their greatest strengths in recovery and combo ending/extension, respectively. We have chosen to design these two moves as such in order to emphasize Ridley's incredible strength in the air.

Up to this point, I have spoken at length about how we have decided for Ridley to have an excellent air game. Of course, the heart of any great air game is the character's Aerial Attacks.

For Ridley, as I have heavily implied, we have designed his Aerial Attacks to be the best part of his moveset by far, and have built the rest of his moveset around this idea so that his other attacks would compliment his great Aerials by for the most part, being setups into his Aerial Attacks (as I have mentioned previously). Ridley, in order to maintain his Title as King of The Skies, has an aerial set that can combo into itself easily and deal heavy damage. For the purpose of racking up lots of damage with his Aerial Combos, Ridley has his Uair, Bair, and Nair.

Each of these moves comes out fairly quickly and has low ending lag coupled with low knockback and a favorable trajectory so that Ridley can easily chain them together until the percentages get fairly high. For his Nair, Ridley performs a front flip/barrel roll type motion that hits twice (once with his claws, and once with his tail) and sends the opponent forwards and slightly upwards.
For his Bair, Ridley spins and hits the opponent with his wing and then immediately hits them with a backhanded hook (think Charizard's Bair). This move turns Ridley around to face the direction opposite from which he was originally facing, and sends the opponent forwards and slightly upwards. Due to the turnaround, this move is an easy setup for a high-damage Fair or Dair that will send the opponent far away. For his Uair, Ridley leans slightly forward before swing one of his wings in an arc above his head (a path similar to Bowser's Uair). This move comes out a little faster than Bowser's Uair and deals slightly less damage.
This move sends the opponent upwards and slightly behind Ridley.
But what about his other two Aerial Attacks, his Fair and his Dair?

As I have mentioned to some extent, we've envisioned these two moves to be Ridley's "kill moves"; both Ridley's Fair and Dair deal very high damage with very strong knockback. For his Fair, Ridley shoots his tail forward at a slight downwards angle. For his Dair, Ridley shoots his tail downwards directly below him, dealing a Meteor Smash along the entire length of the tail. Both Ridley's Fair and Dair come out and end notably slower than his Uair, Nair, or Bair. This was in order to balance these two moves for the immense damage they deal.Additionally, both moves have Sweetspots at the tip of the tail and a Sourspot at all closer distances, although the knockback and damage is still respectable in the Sourspot for both of these moves.

Overall, in the hands of smart and careful player, Ridley is a serious threat; with proper spacing and timing in order to get both Ridley and opponents into the air for combos, a good player can take full advantage of his potential.

To a novice, Ridley may seem a little complex, but once the spacing and aerial control are mastered, Ridley becomes an offensive and aerial machine. His incredible air game and his great combo potential, coupled with a number of great spacing capabilities allow Ridley to have a great amount of potential to become a top tier character.Through proper use of his spacing and aerial game, we envision that Ridley will reign not only as King of the Skies, but also as King of Smash 4. We believe this set has great potential for Ridley to prove his title to the rest of the Smash 4 Cast.

After many defeats by Samus in the Metroid Series. In Smash, Ridley will finally be able to live up to his fearsome name as
"The Cunning God of Death."​

The Moves:
As the title implies, this section will contain all of the moves in Ridley's moveset.
All of the more specific attack data for Ridley's moveset is in here.

As in the first edition of this set, this section will start with his characteristics, and then move into his attacks on the ground and then into the air.

Movement:
Ground: Slow
Air: Medium Fast (Think slightly slower than Jigglypuff's aerial mobility)
Dash: Moderate (Ridley's running speed is between Mario's and Bowser's from SSBM)
Number of Jumps: 4
Falling Speed: Moderate
Fast-Falling Speed: Slightly Above Average
Ground Attack Speed: Slow-Average (- represents a range)
Air Attack Speed: Medium-Slow*-Fast
*Medium-Slow is not a range, but a single speed description.

Attacks:

Neutral Combo String:
Hit 1: Ridley swipes with his left claw (4%)
Hit 2: Ridley swipes with his right claw (4%)
Hit 3: Ridley chomps his jaws directly in front of him. (8%)
Total: 16%
The speed of this string is similar in Speed to Bowser's.
Hits 1 and 2 deal no knockback
Hit 3 deals low-medium knockback with a vertical and slightly horizontal trajectory in front of Ridley.
Hit 3 is hindered by some notable ending lag which can be easily punished if whiffed (to exemplify Ridley's slow speed on the ground).
Hit 3 will push shielding opponents backwards slightly away from Ridley.

Tilt Attacks:

F-Tilt:
Ridley Sweeps his tail in front of him, dealing 12% damage along the length of the tail (The Sourspot) and dealing 15% damage at the tip (The Sweetspot).
Has good reach (similar to that of Marth's F-Tilt) and inflicts medium knockback.
Has medium starting lag (for a heavyweight) and medium ending lag (notable, but not enough to keep a combo from happening afterwards).
This move has a vertical and slightly horizontal trajectory.

D-Tilt:
Ridley swings his wings downwards, hitting on either side of him and enclosing himself.
This move deals 6% and pulls affected opponents in close to Ridley.
The coverage of this move is a little more than the width of one of Brawl Battlefield's floating platforms.
Additionally, this move can combo easily into his other tilt attacks (especially his U-tilt) to fairly low ending lag.
Has low-medium starting lag and low ending lag.

U-Tilt:
Ridley juts his wings upwards above his head, similar to Charizard's U-tilt.
This move deals 10% damage and medium knockback.
Additionally, this move has medium starting lag and medium ending lag.
Has a vertical trajectory.

Smash Attacks:

F-Smash:
Ridley tilts his head back, and then shoots an exploding fireball at an angle directly in front of him.
Uncharged Damage: 24%
Fully Charged Damage: 30%
This move is similar to Snake's F-Smash in Range and Lag (both starting and ending).
Deals very strong knockback.

D-Smash:
Ridley spins in place, dealing damage with his entire body, similar in priniciple to Peach's D-Smash.
Uncharged:
Ridley has 4 hits, 3 spinning and 1 wing attack at the end of the move (where Ridley extends his wings outwards from their closed position). Each spinning hit deals 5% damage and the wing hit deals 7% damage.
Totals to 22% max damage possible
Fully Charged:
Ridley has 7 hits, 6 spinning and 1 wing attack.
Each spinning hit deals 5% damage and the wing hit deals 10%
Totals to 40% max damage possible.
It is somewhat difficult to hit the opponent with all 7 hits, however.
Overall, this move has starting lag similar to Bowser's D-Smash and long ending lag (due to the wing extension).
Spinning hits deal no knockback, Wing Hit deals medium-high knockback with a Horizontal and Slightly Vertical Trajectory.

U-Smash:
Ridley jumps does a shot spinning jump, slightly enclosing himself with his wings.
Has 3 possible hits that each deal 6% damage uncharged (Total: 18%)
When fully charged each hit does 8% damage (Total: 24%)
Ridley ends the move midair and immediately enters a short hover state (0.5 seconds), allowing players to continue into the air after landing this attack and start an Aerial Combo.
Has medium knockback and Vertical and Horizontal Trajectory.

Aerial Attacks:

N-Air:
Ridley does a barrel roll/front flip type motion, hitting once with his body and once with his tail.
Deals 4% damage on Hit 1 and 8% damage on Hit 2, Hits 1-2 always combo together.
Deals low-medium knockback with a Horizontal and slightly Vertical Trajectory.
Low starting lag and ending lag.

F-Air:
Ridley shoots his tail forwards at a slightly downwards angle.
Deals 18% in Sweetspot and 13% in Sourspot.
Deals very strong knockback and has a Horizontal and Slightly Vertical Trajectory.
Has medium starting lag and long ending lag.

D-Air:
Ridley shoots his tail downwards beneath him.
Deals 20% damage at Sweetspot and 14% damage at Sourspot.
Deals strong knockback (very strong at tail) similar to Ike's Dair.
Has Medium Starting Lag and Long Ending Lag.

B-Air:
Ridley turns around and hits the opponent with a wing and then an arm.
Each hit deals 7% damage and Hit 1 is a natural combo into Hit 2.
Ridley will face the direction opposite he was facing before the move.
Deals medium-low knockback and a Horizontal and Vertical Trajectory.
Has Short-Medium Starting Lag and Medium Ending Lag.

U-Air:
Ridley leans forwards slightly before swinging a wing in an arc over his head similiar to Bowser's U-air.
Deals 10% damage with a Horizontal and Vertical Trajectory.
Has short-medium starting and ending lag and medium knockback making it Ridley's go-to Juggling move.

Special Moves:
Covered in full in "The Rundown"

Grabs/Throws:
Grab Range: Short

Pummel:
Ridley breathes a small burst of flames onto his opponent, dealing 3% damage.

F-Throw:
Ridley steps forwards and grinds the opponent along the ground, although he doesn't move as far forwards as he does with his Side-B.
Deals 10% and good knockback.

D-Throw:
Ridley pins the foe down with a foot, and then hits them with an exploding fireball.
Does 12% damage and medium-low knockback.

B-Throw:
Ridley turns around, throwing them behind him before hitting them with a fireball while they're in the air.
Deals 5% with the throw and 8% with the projectile.
Cannot be DIed out of Like Mewtwo's F-Throw.

U-Throw:
Ridley throws the opponent up into the air slightly in front of him.
Good for setting up aerial combos.
Deals 8% damage and medium knockback.​

Special credit to @ZanZero for providing the original ideas which developed into this ^ moveset.

And yes it's been reformatted from the way it was in the original post.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
This is news to me, in my eyes it seemed like Ridley was met with hopefullness, of course there will always be people that say he's too big and stuff, but he also seems to be the most wanted character across the board these days. Ridley fans really don't have it that tough.
Yes, I'm probably exaggerating a bit. I'm not saying it's the hardest thing ever being a Ridley fan, but most other places that aren't this that I've seen personally have been the type that will mock you and tell you you're wrong for supporting Ridley because he's impossible. I'm not trying to say Ridley fans have it tough, anyway (although when people think of the topic of characters people want in, Ridley usually comes to mind because controversy), so much as I'm just trying to explain why people who support Ridley hate Shokio more than other detractors with videos.

Personally, this is the only site I've ever seen that has had a significant Ridley supportbase on it.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
And the fact that he spends frequent amounts of time in Norfair in Metroid and Super Metroid, which is essentially a giant magma chamber for Zebes; hot temperatures likely aren't that big a problem for him unless the incarnation was Meta Ridley, and even then you'd need so much more heat than Ash's Charizard can throw out that it'd be pointless trying. It'd be hugely doubtful whether Ash's Charizard using Blast Burn with a SP. ATK IV of 31 and a SP. ATK EV level of 252 with a critical hit while holding a Life Orb could even do so much as open a door in the Metroid universe.

Cold, hard statistics tell us that you'd probably need to be Ganondorf to take on Ridley, and even then that's due to his immunity to anything that isn't "Blade of Evil's Bane" or something similar that would cause him to eventually wear Ridley down. In simple terms, Ganondorf > Everything that isn't Link or Zelda. Metroid's probably one of Nintendo's strongest franchises solely due to the terawatt statistic alone regarding their science, but magic OP, which is where the likes of Ganondorf comes in. There'll be other Nintendo characters that can defeat Ridley (from other franchises, of course, Ganondorf is the only one that comes to mind for me right now) but series canon-level, Ridley is pretty high up there.
Not to mention that Ganondorf has some serious jumping abilities to be able to reach Ridley no matter where he would fly.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Yes, I'm probably exaggerating a bit. I'm not saying it's the hardest thing ever being a Ridley fan, but most other places that aren't this that I've seen personally have been the type that will mock you and tell you you're wrong for supporting Ridley because he's impossible. I'm not trying to say Ridley fans have it tough, anyway (although when people think of the topic of characters people want in, Ridley usually comes to mind because controversy), so much as I'm just trying to explain why people who support Ridley hate Shokio more than other detractors with videos.

Personally, this is the only site I've ever seen that has had a significant Ridley supportbase on it.
Yeah as far as outside Smashboards, be it Gamefaqs, SF, Youtube, Tumblr, Facebook, Miiverse, whatever, it's basically insults and bad grammar from dozens of angry children and sewer trolls if you so much as mention Ridley. But then there's Smashboards, which is basically the center of the hope.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Yeah as far as outside Smashboards, be it Gamefaqs, SF, Youtube, Tumblr, Facebook, Miiverse, whatever, it's basically insults and bad grammar from dozens of angry children and sewer trolls if you so much as mention Ridley. But then there's Smashboards, which is basically the center of the hope.
Thing is, my essay should have an awful grammar (just the absence of comma before "but" will surprise you). :troll:

And also due that it's not my first language.

Top Bottom