• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Garchomp is blue, not purple. Sorry :crying:

Could pass for concept art Roidley's long lost sister.

Ridley vs Ash's Charizard, who wins?

I know nothing about Ridley.
In all honesty, Ash has enough plot armor to probably make his Charizard win despite being brutally mutilated.

However Ridley doesn't die, so he'd eventually come back and win.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
@The Soulless One THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT! D:< Now everyone is going to think that I'm going kill them everytime they bring a ship up! And I'm not the one who killed @SmilingMad! it was the Tomahawk!

SCAN0161.JPG

SEE????

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
I had a dream last night that Ridley was playable and confirmed top tier.
also that Metroid had a stage that didn't have a hazard.
Such dreams aren't meant to be reality, but if such were the case......

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Cold, hard statistics tell us that you'd probably need to be Ganondorf to take on Ridley, and even then that's due to his immunity to anything that isn't "Blade of Evil's Bane" or something similar that would cause him to eventually wear Ridley down. In simple terms, Ganondorf > Everything that isn't Link or Zelda. Metroid's probably one of Nintendo's strongest franchises solely due to the terawatt statistic alone regarding their science, but magic OP, which is where the likes of Ganondorf comes in. There'll be other Nintendo characters that can defeat Ridley (from other franchises, of course, Ganondorf is the only one that comes to mind for me right now) but series canon-level, Ridley is pretty high up there.
I'm pretty sure the strongest Nintendo villain (canon-wise) is Hades. An angelic mech suit was required to defeat him, and even then the dang thing was torn to shreds and they had to resort to charging the sole remaining gun with goddess.
But, er, I'm veering from the topic again. Bugger.

This is news to me, in my eyes it seemed like Ridley was met with hopefullness, of course there will always be people that say he's too big and stuff, but he also seems to be the most wanted character across the board these days. Ridley fans really don't have it that tough.
A whole slew of people across the internet detest us and the thing we fight for, but yes, it's also kind of a popular character I guess? It's a weird split.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
@The Soulless One THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT! D:< Now everyone is going to think that I'm going kill them everytime they bring a ship up! And I'm not the one who killed @SmilingMad! it was the Tomahawk!

View attachment 18724
SEE????

The tomohawk is clearly in your grasp! Prepare for justice! And shipping Ridley only begs for a tragic death involving various teeth, drugs, and blood types!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I had a dream last night that Ridley was playable and confirmed top tier.
also that Metroid had a stage that didn't have a hazard.
Such dreams aren't meant to be reality, but if such were the case......
I actually did dreamt that Paper Mario was confirmed lol.

Though, I wonder what a Ridley confirmed dreams would look.

Portanix

Smash Cadet
Even if Ridley is confirmed as a Stage Hazard it doesn't deconfirm it as a playable charakter. Much like Toon Link is only the train driver, when he is not played ( Toon Link Stage on the 3DS) . Could work like that too.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
A whole slew of people across the internet detest us and the thing we fight for, but yes, it's also kind of a popular character I guess? It's a weird split.
I always interpreted Ridley's popularity as most people want him but a very, VERY, vocal minority were/are against him.

SpindaMaster

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3136-6569-2540
I actually did dreamt that Paper Mario was confirmed lol.

Though, I wonder what a Ridley confirmed dreams would look.
I one time had a dream where Phoenix Wright was confirmed. He had the hair of an old Japanese businessman which he threw off like Frank Sahwit, revealing his true hair. Then I woke up and was sad.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I always interpreted Ridley's popularity as most people want him but a very, VERY, vocal minority were/are against him.
That's because the vocal majority hating him has arguments that aren't arguments.

In fact, it's better explained here:

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...splounge-water.324284/page-1099#post-17045763

Under biggest argument and shokio video.
I one time had a dream where Phoenix Wright was confirmed. He had the hair of an old Japanese businessman which he threw off like Frank Sahwit, revealing his true hair. Then I woke up and was sad.
I actually woke up of happiness to have a good dream.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Now that you're on the RST, do your opinions differ on that?

I've always seen it as a lot of people want him, but only a very, VERY, vocal minority are willing to stand up for the cause. Also a lot of people don't want him or see him as fitting. That's probably because every time I was with my friends playing Brawl and I voiced my opinion on wanting to play as Ridley because it was odd that there was only Samus, my friend would pause the game, go to the level in tSE as Bowser and make me be Ganondorg (two tallest characters), and show me Ridley and be like "He's too big, he doesn't even fit on the stage". Which is why I always go in against detractors outside of this forum.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Hey, I just realised something: tomorrow will be the first anniversary of that infamous video.

Will he do another one for the occasion?
He only made that video that day because of Sakurai's miiverse post about an enemy from Samus's past...

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
I think the reason a lot of people don't think Ridley can make it is, as many have mentioned, his size. Sure, he could be made to work in game, but in the recent games... He's big. Really big. Especially if we're looking at the Prime Series... It's not that we don't want him: it's that I don't want to play a small dragon that's not very powerful. If I see Ridley, I want an enormously powerful creature that can level cities... a boss.

In short, Ridley would be sweet. Ridley that's unimposing and small doesn't live up to his appearance in the games is much less sweet.

D

Deleted member

I think the reason a lot of people don't think Ridley can make it is, as many have mentioned, his size. Sure, he could be made to work in game, but in the recent games... He's big. Really big. Especially if we're looking at the Prime Series... It's not that we don't want him: it's that I don't want to play a small dragon that's not very powerful. If I see Ridley, I want an enormously powerful creature that can level cities... a boss.

In short, Ridley would be sweet. Ridley that's unimposing and small doesn't live up to his appearance in the games is much less sweet.
It surprises me that you main Ganondorf then

AndreaAC

The tomohawk is clearly in your grasp! Prepare for justice! And shipping Ridley only begs for a tragic death involving various teeth, drugs, and blood types!

YOU WILL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE! D:<

32A571_0D7E6D439F9E0_000 (2).gif

"OH MY....."

Now....Back to Rids.....

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

That's the only thing so far regarding his sizes that I can legitimately accept.

He CAN be resized, but the look he will have is subjective.

I personally am fine since I checked the melee trophy, but to eac his own I guess.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Now I remove the Video cause I'm cautious.
Sorry to those who didn't see it.
Don't say swears.

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135

You make a very interesting point, no one has ever brought up before, just let me make a note

This is pretty much how Other M Ridley would look scaled down...

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Ridley has never done that in the Metroid series.

Honestly, people tend to exaggerate his power level compared to other characters, thinking like he's some sort of all-powerful deity (he isn't). He's been taken down many, many times before, and not just by Samus. Even Anthony Higgs was able to hold his own against Ridley, albeit for a only short time.

Also, how many times am I going to bring this up again?
image.jpg

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Now that you're on the RST, do your opinions differ on that?

I've always seen it as a lot of people want him, but only a very, VERY, vocal minority are willing to stand up for the cause. Also a lot of people don't want him or see him as fitting. That's probably because every time I was with my friends playing Brawl and I voiced my opinion on wanting to play as Ridley because it was odd that there was only Samus, my friend would pause the game, go to the level in tSE as Bowser and make me be Ganondorg (two tallest characters), and show me Ridley and be like "He's too big, he doesn't even fit on the stage". Which is why I always go in against detractors outside of this forum.
This. I was going to say something like this (with the vocal minority standing up for Ridley) but I couldn't find the right way to word it. A lot of people that want Ridley keep quiet about it because it's easier that way, basing this on people I've known in the past and what I've seen. This place is the exception. Like Ridley!

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

But if you think that, you are already kind of thinking it wrong? I mean, Ridley is not an enormously powerful creature that can level cities. Not in the games at least. The thing that makes him so dangerous in the games is his constant onslaught of attacks and tail pogo.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
???

I feel it's the opposite the quote is August 20 but the video is July 20. I found that weird because if it's not circumstances, Sakurai is sort of trolling him.
Oh, my bad. Sorry! I'm a month too early. Guess it's just a coincidence that Sakurai posted that a month later.

I was talking about the date a few pages back and I guess the number 20 just stuck with me. My bad!

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Too lazy to repost my Ridley size, so this'll do.

But if you think that, you are already kind of thinking it wrong? I mean, Ridley is not an enormously powerful creature that can level cities. Not in the games at least. The thing that makes him so dangerous in the games is his constant onslaught of attacks and tail pogo.
Yeah, that title belongs to Kraid.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Oh, my bad. Sorry! I'm a month too early. Guess it's just a coincidence that Sakurai posted that a month earlier.

I was talking about the date a few pages back and I guess the number 20 just stuck with me. My bad!
I even implied it in my essay by saying "exactly a month". I pointed it out 2 times after.

The other thing I realised while typing is that you know when he teases, he allude while being ambiguous, wait with no info and reveal. That's what happened after August 20 for Ridley but not the stage since we saw it a lot.

So, if the tease isn't stage related, that's supporting him.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Ridley levels cities the same way anyone does, lots of explosives.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

I'm fairly certain that if he were to be playable, he'd be at least slightly larger than Bowser. Or, in a perfect world, alomost as big as his Super Metroid appearance.

hmmmm.png

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
This may sound like a stupid question, but has Ridley ever walked in two legs before? All I can find is him standing on two legs to attack, any movement is on all fours or Flying? Which could suggest the hovering idea makes more sense

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
This may sound like a stupid question, but has Ridley ever walked in two legs before? All I can find is him standing on two legs to attack, any movement is on all fours or Flying? Which could suggest the hovering idea makes more sense
Omega Ridley did a bit of it in his intro.

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, sorry, I figured since people were talking about the size issue I could also talk about the size issue. I'll just never disagree.

I admit the city-leveling is a slight exaggeration, but my point stands: Ridley is very, very powerful in every iteration. Ganondorf is at least human (Gerudo, okay) and has moments where he is not a super-powered demigod.
(Ridley has destroyed entire cities, albeit not through his own brute strength)

Like I said, you can make Ridley smaller,but I don't want to play a small Ridley, and I don't think I'm the only one. That wants Ridley to remain a large, powerful, invincible to almost everything (note that I said ALMOST before I get roasted for that) creature across all his appearances.

AndreaAC

Metroid_Prime_3_Trilogy_Version_Walk-Through_Part_ (4).gif

Yes, he has....in a very clumsy way but...he has...

Last edited:
Top Bottom