• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Just to be clear, are movesets on topic? I'm thinking of making one, but I don't want to get arrested by the off-topic police...

Draco Meteor... idk. Wait that's pokemon.

Purple.
Dragon.
Doing Dragon things.
RIDLEY CONFIRMED.

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
I saw a lot more hate for Chrom than requests. Besides, Robin has a sturdy fanbase, and Lucina is the most popular Awakening character. His decisions make perfect sense, actually.
again, I already asked for people to stop. sorry if that was rude.

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
So this is how he became leader of the space pirates. (edit: I do not own this image just thought i'd share.)

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Just to be clear, are movesets on topic? I'm thinking of making one, but I don't want to get arrested by the off-topic police...

Purple.
Dragon.
Doing Dragon things.
RIDLEY CONFIRMED.
Garchomp is blue, not purple. Sorry :crying:

So this is how he became leader of the space pirates.

Actually, he was taken in by the Space Pirates as a pet, and then he ate every parent onboard. From there on, he rose through the ranks.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
I think one of the key reasons Ridley fans here get so angry at specifically Shokio's videos is that although there ARE a lot of other detractor videos on YouTube, Shokio was the root source or at least the cause of spread (to my knowledge) of the "Too Big" **** that has plagued Ridley fans since Brawl, and although that argument is easily debunked, it's impossible to deny that without Shokio spreading that, we as Ridley supporters would have not only a good few more supporters, but we wouldn't have such a hard time supporting him. Have you tried supporting him elsewhere? You get your face rubbed in dirt, man. People believe Ridley is genuinely illegible for a spot on any Smash roster, usually due to his size, and will go to extreme lengths to step on supporters due to this. If Shokio had kept his hate to himself and hadn't felt the need to make something up to antagonise (sorta) Ridley fans, we could have a much easier time with supporting him rather than it being a challenge everywhere we go.

As RabbidLuigi said, Ridley is the character you whisper quietly that you support, because you will get jumped on. This thread is essentially a safe haven you can use to talk about the guy, and even then we get a few detractors. Shokio made himself popular with people by spreading "Too Big" around, it only makes sense that Ridley fans are going to hate him specifically.

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
So I'm not a good meme creator... but I could kinda a see a pic of Ridley going "Caw caw Mother F***er!". Just seems pretty funny and would be hilarious to post to the detractors if he's revealed.

Malle

Smash Apprentice
If Ridley is announced playable I swear to you all I will sing a reworked version of Black Betty just to relieve myself of all detractor pain throughout the years. And upload it to celebrate!

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I Don't think most people were nessicarily "Requesting" Chrom, but rather, expecting Chrom.
That's the thing that I'm still kinda struggling with.

I for one am expecting Dark Pit due to Sakurai favoritism and the lack of claws, staves, and cannons in Pit's moveset, but I'm requesting Medusa.
(I'm also expecting Ghirahim because recency)
Man, knowing Ridley's already in sucks sometimes.

nessokman

Smash Lord
lol I knew ridley fans would jump on the Gematsu hole and say it is debunked. Anything to keep ridley with the slightest chance of getting in. I never believed the leak, I doubted, but they have been right a lot :p
#Ridleyishuge

Last edited:

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
OK, are we still talking about Ridley? Because I think that Sakurai won't include him. Not because of size, but Sakurai just ignored people's requests for Chrom!
he did not ignore them he stated that chrome is just tooo smilar to marth
robin as a newcomer is nice and was wanted and lucina is logical okay even if shes a clone shes a woman that is better then another marth and makes her more unique then chrome plus shes his daughter so i can fully understand this decision

majora_787

Smash Hero
That's the thing that I'm still kinda struggling with.

I for one am expecting Dark Pit due to Sakurai favoritism and the lack of claws, staves, and cannons in Pit's moveset, but I'm requesting Medusa.
(I'm also expecting Ghirahim because recency)
Man, knowing Ridley's already in sucks sometimes.
Sakurai said for a character to be a separate slot and not an alt costume they have to have something that differentiates them from the original. Dark Pit literally has nothing that he can do that Pit cannot already do. That's as good as a deconfirmation for me. And after Zant I don't think we're ever getting one-off zelda villains just because of recency. And if we did it would probably be Yuga, as unfortunate as *THAT* is.

EDIT: Nessokman, do you have a day job or a hobby that doesn't involve trolling poorly? Just wondering. If you do, you'd be a lot better off doing that than dinking around here with your shenanigans.

Last edited:

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
lol I knew ridley fans would jump on the Gematsu hole and say it is debunked. Anything to keep ridley with the slightest chance of getting in. I never believed the leak, I doubted, but they have been right a lot :p
#Ridleyishuge
Let me remind you that Ridley is hungry. For detractors.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
OK, are we still talking about Ridley? Because I think that Sakurai won't include him. Not because of size, but Sakurai just ignored people's requests for Chrom!
There was also a significant number of fans who wanted something different from the Fire Emblem series. Chrom just wasn't that interesting of a character choice, so Sakurai went with a perfectly viable second option, which so far seems to have been well received by fans. This also does not take into account how Sakurai has listened to his fans numerous times before, which can be seen in the inclusions of characters like Mega Man, Little Mac, and even Lucina, who was even more popular than Chrom was.

Ridley has plenty of unique potential and doesn't really have any competition from within his own series. He's the definitive next Metroid representative.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
#Ridleyishuge
The leak got 4 things wrong in a row (missing Robin and Lucina, saying Chrom was in playable, and saying Shulk would be Monday's announcement.), if this happened to any other leak, everyone would call it false.

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
#Ridleyishuge
Gematsu never affected his chances negatively tho

majora_787

Smash Hero
The leak got 4 things wrong in a row (missing Robin and Lucina, saying Chrom was in playable, and saying Shulk would be Monday's announcement.), if this happened to any other leak, everyone would call it false.
And all of this was long after getting E3 2013's full character reveal lineup wrong, and posting an entire part of the leak that in and of itself was contradictory and self-destroying.

But this never had anything to do with Ridley anyway really.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
Yep. Them Damn Ridley ****. How Dare they Deny how F*cking Big he is?! You have to fight him on Separate Planets he's so big! People try to use **** like the first Metroid, Melee, and Other M to Prove how Small they think he is, but those aren't canon! Ridley is a Giant M*otherF*cking Dragon that would just be too OP! He cant even be a trophy or Boss in the game 'cause he too f*cking big!

#RIDLEYISBIGAS****

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Ugh, finally caught up with you guys. So about the whole surprises at Conic-Con business, I'm half not expecting a newcomer(s) announcement and half am. While another new character so soon after Monday seems terribly unlikely, the release date is rapidly approaching so the videos might start becoming more condensed.

With that said, I don't think it'll be Ridley even if we do get another trailer. Plus I'll be on vacation at that time, so I'm kinda hoping nothing too crazy happens that I'll miss.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Gematsu never affected his chances negatively tho
Well, if you assumed that the leak was 100% real and that they probably leaked every single character on the roster, then not being on the leak would hurt Ridley's chances. Of course, there was plenty of reason to believe that the leak did not leak everyone and that it may not have been totally accurate, and as it turns out, it didn't leak everyone and was inaccurate. So, from the perspective of people who believed the leak entirely, it hurt Ridley's chances. Now we know that it doesn't hurt them, and never did.

Malle

Smash Apprentice
I can hear the tunes in my head already~ Bambalam!

Ridley personally will have this tune. I will make it happend.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Off topic/Spam Warning Received
Sakurai said for a character to be a separate slot and not an alt costume they have to have something that differentiates them from the original. Dark Pit literally has nothing that he can do that Pit cannot already do. That's as good as a deconfirmation for me. And after Zant I don't think we're ever getting one-off zelda villains just because of recency. And if we did it would probably be Yuga, as unfortunate as *THAT* is.

EDIT: Nessokman, do you have a day job or a hobby that doesn't involve trolling poorly? Just wondering. If you do, you'd be a lot better off doing that than dinking around here with your shenanigans.
Dark Pit is a literal clone of Pit. Like, he came out of a mirror. A mirror. A mirror shows you an exact copy of yourself.

There are better and more realistic choices for a third rep. We aren't getting Dark Pit as a third rep because he does nothing different. Even in your battle against him, you're exactly matched to where it comes down to who can find a better spot on the map.

Then again, Sakurai could be a complete troll and give Dark Pit different weapons from KI:U. :troll:

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
Dear Shokio,

"Ridley is Big as ****"

OBJECTION!

**** is generally smaller than the person who craps it out. ergo, Ridley is Small, therefore contradicting your point.

Portanix

Smash Cadet
Can somebody clear things up for me? What does the upcoming event, the Gematsu leak and all that stuff has to do with Ridley?
#SOMUCHPOSTINJUSTAFEWMINUTESWTFBOOOOM

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
It's pretty ridiculous to believe Gematsu is still alive. It never even hindered Ridley in the first place, anyway, since it never claimed to know all the newcomers. Captain Falcon and Robin were literally just the final nails in the coffin for something people had put too much stock in for a long time; I'm even first to admit I was expecting Shulk and screamed with joy when it wasn't. It wasn't specifically for Ridley though, it was because Gematsu's death was one of the best things that could have possibly happened. For the three it predicted it killed excitement for since everyone expected them and were dead certain they'd get in, and for characters that weren't on it (like Ridley) it helped bring in detractors saying that anyone believing something not-Gematsu was delusional and/or an idiot.

With Gematsu gone the playing field is even again, so characters like Ridley have a much better chance in the eyes of people that didn't take the tiny clip as a deconfirmation. Plus, if Gematsu had been all the newcomers, the roster would've been pretty lackluster to a lot of people. There's a good few people out there that hope for people other than Chrom, Chorus Kids and Shulk. Like everyone here. There's more hope for Ridley in general now.

I wouldn't say Gematsu affected his chances negatively, but at least people lost one of their reasons to believe he wasn't getting in.

Also, if anyone seriously believes Gematsu dying was the only thing giving Ridley a slight chance getting in, I worry for their ability to question things in general. I bet they're the sort of people that called Palutena disconfirmed the moment they saw her stage's PotD comment/the Pseudo-Palutena trophy and then had to use google to find out why she was a fighter after her trailer was shown.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Can somebody clear things up for me? What does the upcoming event, the Gematsu leak and all that stuff has to do with Ridley?
Gematsu Leak: Sakurai actually listens to the fans, enjoys false hope (looked like Chrom was playable), and is a troll (shadow in the direct could be playable)

ComicCon: Apparently there will be "big smash news" there. Possibly a purple space dragon.

What other stuff?

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
1. Comic Con, Where Smash is apparently gonna do something.....
2. A leak from 2013 which accurately predicted Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man, Little Mac, an X/Y Poke'mon, Palutena, Miis, and Pac-Man. it was proven wrong when Chrom was Deconfirmed.
3. Not Much, Actually. People are trying to apply it to Ridley when it really makes no mention of him whatsoever

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
STAY ON TOPIC GUISE

ISMA RUNS A TIGHT SHIP
Ridley X WFT?

Dark Pit is a literal clone of Pit. Like, he came out of a mirror. A mirror. A mirror shows you an exact copy of yourself.

There are better and more realistic choices for a third rep. We aren't getting Dark Pit as a third rep because he does nothing different. Even in your battle against him, you're exactly matched to where it comes down to who can find a better spot on the map.

Then again, Sakurai could be a complete troll and give Dark Pit different weapons from KI:U. :troll:
Wouldn't be surprised, tbh, considering Lucina made it in. Though I expect that he will be changed accordingly. Probably a somewhat stronger but slower clone?

Also, I just realized that Pit's custom moves (sorry for the off topic) would probably be variations of weaponry. Wonder about that up-special though. Only so many ways to change it.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325

Ridley smash attack ideas anyone? I'm at a loss there.
My ideas:

D-Smash: Tail sweep that hits both sides.

U-Smash: Bite that snaps at people above him

S-Smash: Claw swipe in the direction he's facing

That is what you meant, correct? Or were you thinking Specials / Final Smashes?

Top Bottom