• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Is this directed at my statement, or Shokio's video? I'm honestly confused here.

I know enough about Metroid to hold up an argument about Ridley for Smash. I want him in Smash. 100%. I'm just trying to get people to lay off of Shokio when there's so many more people to hate on. I agree, he probably doesn't know much about the Metroid games, but when the games follow one long story, it can be hard to remember who was in what and when they weren't, especially if it's a main villain.

I know where you're coming from, and I agree. The problem is that Prime and Echoes were both on the GameCube and had similar graphics, making it easier to confuse one scene. As I said above, he probably doesn't know much about Metroid. It makes me mad that he left it in, too.

All in all, I agree that he's wrong and that there was so much wrong with that video. I just don't like that it's just one person that we constantly choose to hate on.

UNRELATED: For those who don't know yet:
http://mynintendonews.com/2014/07/19/super-smash-bros-teases-special-surprises-for-comic-con/
OOoo, new character possible?

majora_787

Smash Hero
Is this directed at my statement, or Shokio's video? I'm honestly confused here.

I know enough about Metroid to hold up an argument about Ridley for Smash. I want him in Smash. 100%. I'm just trying to get people to lay off of Shokio when there's so many more people to hate on. I agree, he probably doesn't know much about the Metroid games, but when the games follow one long story, it can be hard to remember who was in what and when they weren't, especially if it's a main villain.

I know where you're coming from, and I agree. The problem is that Prime and Echoes were both on the GameCube and had similar graphics, making it easier to confuse one scene. As I said above, he probably doesn't know much about Metroid. It makes me mad that he left it in, too.

All in all, I agree that he's wrong and that there was so much wrong with that video. I just don't like that it's just one person that we constantly choose to hate on.

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/07/19/super-smash-bros-teases-special-surprises-for-comic-con/
I'm talking about Shokio's video. He tries to have a valid opinion but spends the video getting simpler facts wrong and using bizarre fabricated statements that barely mean anything as it is.

And honestly the only Metroid game I have a hard time remembering Ridley WASN'T in is Metroid 2, and generally that's consistent with most people I talk to.

I'm not even expecting the guy to memorize metroid. The least he could do is make at all a REMOTELY valuable opinion by doing minimal research and putting it in some kind of base script. If it isn't a live discussion, you have the time to do it and if you want to come off as at all intelligent or professional, it's probably a good idea to do so unless you want to say a large number of things that will gnaw your ass off later.

Last edited:

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
Has anybody else been reading through Shokio's "Ridley is too big!" comment section? God damn, it is the most painful thing ever. I'm so tempted to reply every single one of those ****nuts by telling about Ridley...but God damn.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Has anybody else been reading through Shokio's "Ridley is too big!" comment section? God damn, it is the most painful thing ever. I'm so tempted to reply every single one of those ****nuts by telling about Ridley...but God damn.
It's really not worth it. Even if the bees can't tell their mouths from their rectums, it's like sticking your face into a hive of disgruntled bees.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

As much as I want it to be Ridley, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be mewtwo. I doubt they'll reveal a newcomer at comicon, but it would have to be a special case for a veteran, so either Ganondorf with a new moveset, or mewtwo. I'm betting on mewtwo.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I ain't no masochist, son. Why would I want to torture myself by reading YouTube comments?
As much as I want it to be Ridley, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be mewtwo. I doubt they'll reveal a newcomer at comicon, but it would have to be a special case for a veteran, so either Ganondorf with a new moveset, or mewtwo. I'm betting on mewtwo.
Or Ness. Or Falco. Or any other veteran. Why would it be Mewtwo? I think if Mewtwo is back, it will be featured alongside a newcomer in a trailer.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I'm talking about Shokio's video. He tries to have a valid opinion but spends the video getting simpler facts wrong and using bizarre fabricated statements that barely mean anything as it is.

And honestly the only Metroid game I have a hard time remembering Ridley WASN'T in is Metroid 2, and generally that's consistent with most people I talk to.

I'm not even expecting the guy to memorize metroid. The least he could do is make at all a REMOTELY valuable opinion by doing minimal research and putting it in some kind of base script. If it isn't a live discussion, you have the time to do it and if you want to come off as at all intelligent or professional, it's probably a good idea to do so unless you want to say a large number of things that will gnaw your *** off later.
Okay, that's good. I was hoping I didn't say anything to set people off too much. You're right, he should have at least researched a little bit before making a video, at least read down the Ridley page on Wikitroid.

I haven't played the Prime Series (I'm looking at the Prime Trilogy for next month I might get...), so I don't know how consistently I'll be able to remember that, but I have it set in stone in my mind about the other two games he's not in (Return of Samus and Prime Hunters).

I don't expect anyone to memorize anything, just doing research is fine. It's that he acts like he knows Metroid while getting everything wrong about it is what pisses me off. If it was live, I get that. But the fact that there's editing proves that the video wasn't live in the first place (obvious rendering, video overlay).

INTENSIFIEDRINGING

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
OK, are we still talking about Ridley? Because I think that Sakurai won't include him. Not because of size, but Sakurai just ignored people's requests for Chrom!

Reila

OK, are we still talking about Ridley? Because I think that Sakurai won't include him. Not because of size, but Sakurai just ignored people's requests for Chrom!
But he didn't ignore people's requests for Little Mac. And Robin was the #2 most requested Fire Emblem character iirc, so... If anything, the fact Chrom wasn't chosen is more reason to believe Ridley is playable in the game. Sakurai love his "uniqueness" shenanigans and the reason Chrom wasn't chosen is exactly for the lack of unique features.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I ain't no masochist, son. Why would I want to torture myself by reading YouTube comments?

Or Ness. Or Falco. Or any other veteran. Why would it be Mewtwo? I think if Mewtwo is back, it will be featured alongside a newcomer in a trailer.
I don't know. I feel like it might be wierd to have a random veteran revealed like that, and it would make more sense to show one that's a special case. Maybe it's just my gut feeling that makes me think it will be mewtwo. I usualy trust my gut, and right now it's telling me that it will be mewtwo. Just my opinion.

D

Deleted member

Because Chrom would be too similar to Marth and Ike, he chooses characters because of uniqueness, Ridley has a lot of potential

majora_787

Smash Hero
Because Chrom would be too similar to Marth and Ike, he chooses characters because of uniqueness, Ridley has a lot of potential
Plus we're talking about the difference between a largely requested classic Nintendo villain of an entire franchise, and a one-time protagonist from a two-year-old game who doesn't differentiate himself much from Marth or Ike.

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
But he didn't ignore people's requests for Little Mac. And Robin was the #2 most requested Fire Emblem character iirc, so... If anything, the fact Chrom wasn't chosen is more reason to believe Ridley is playable in the game. Sakurai love his "uniqueness" shenanigans and the reason Chrom wasn't chosen is exactly for the lack of unique features.
True, but also added some completely random people like Wii Fit Trainer and ... that's it.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
He ignored Chrom requests because he's basicly just another blue haired blank slate for him to make up generic moves for, while Robin was actually unique. That doesn't mean he automaticly ignores every character that gets a lot of requests.

majora_787

Smash Hero
True, but also added some completely random people like Wii Fit Trainer and ... that's it.
"WTF" characters are nothing new. And Wii Fit Trainer's issue isn't that she can't do anything that isn't done already by people on the roster. Ridley also does not have that problem. Chrom did.

EDIT: Well really Robin is more of a blank slate than Chrom is. :troll: But he did actually have unique moveset potential.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Characters are chosen at the beginning of the development cycle. Request all you want, you get nothing from it. Well, except for a chance in the next SSB installment.
Also, the reason Chrom wasn't included was literally because he was too bland. That guy isn't going to get in anytime soon.
EDIT: And then Sakurai, in a fit of irony, decided to add Lucina, a clone. Though I don't believe she's too clone-y. She's probably more like Melee Marth, while the new Marth is...not? Eh.

Last edited:

Reila

I don't know. I feel like it might be wierd to have a random veteran revealed like that, and it would make more sense to show one that's a special case. Maybe it's just my gut feeling that makes me think it will be mewtwo. I usualy trust my gut, and right now it's telling me that it will be mewtwo. Just my opinion.
Mewtwo is also a random veteran. lol. I am not opposed to Mewtwo being revealed there, I just wouldn't bet on it.
Because of what I said: He values uniqueness. Wii Fit Trainer is unique and like we or not, Wii Fit is a game that sells a lot.

Ridley would undoubtedly be an unique character.

Last edited:

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
Mewtwo is also a random veteran. lol. I am not opposed to Mewtwo being revealed there, I just wouldn't bet on it.

Because of what I said: He values uniqueness. Wii Fit Trainer is unique and like we or not, Wii Fit is a game that sells a lot.

Ridley would undoubtedly be an unique character.
not liking where this discussion is going.

Chrom seems to have been passed over because his moveset set was harder to develope. Ridley has tons of potential so I doubt he'll have that problem.
he does, actually. sorry for hating on ridley.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Chrom was passed over because Sakurai found a more interesting alternative for a Fire Emblem newcomer (i.e. Robin), who could actually contribute to something new in the roster.

I find it literally impossible to come up with an unoriginal moveset for Ridley, if you're aware of what he can do in the Metroid series. Hell, I even made a moveset for him myself, and I can't even do that with any of the prospective newcomers that I want (because I'm lazy with them).

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
So, what do you guys think Ridleys up special should be? Should it be the fuel concept or a big dash type recovery?
It could indeed be a flight-activator move. Though it'd feel so much less clunky if you could activate it by holding the jump button or something.
If it were it's up-B though, it could be a spinning jump upward with the wings folded around the body, and Ridley then folding them outward. Flight shouldn't last more than 5 or so seconds.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Out of arguments already?
I'll make a case for him which is something he would say..

But if Sakurai won't add Chrom because he's a guy and has blue hair like Ike and Marth. Then Ridley can't be added because he's a guy and purple like Wario's overalls

But in all seriousness, what were you thinking when you said this?

Reila

But if Sakurai won't add Chrom because he's a guy and has blue hair like Ike and Marth. Then Ridley can't be added because he's a guy and purple like Wario's overalls

Yeah... I don't think those are the sole reasons Chrom wasn't chosen. Also, Ridley's color varies in different Metroid games :p

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
Out of arguments already?
Sorry, Im new to smash, idk what to say
Chrom was passed over because Sakurai found a more interesting alternative for a Fire Emblem newcomer (i.e. Robin), who could actually contribute to something new in the roster.

I find it literally impossible to come up with an unoriginal moveset for Ridley, if you're aware of what he can do in the Metroid series. Hell, I even made a moveset for him myself, and I can't even do that with any of the prospective newcomers that I want (because I'm lazy with them).
7 people have commented on that, please stop!
So, what do you guys think Ridleys up special should be? Should it be the fuel concept or a big dash type recovery?
the second one.

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
Insta ko! That felt good.
(If you played Pokemon, you know why)
dragonite powers!

thanks.

I don't know....

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I saw a lot more hate for Chrom than requests. Besides, Robin has a sturdy fanbase, and Lucina is the most popular Awakening character. His decisions make perfect sense, actually.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Both.

First the dash, then a permanent flight mode would be engaged for Ridley to fly wherever he pleases, as long as he's over a platform.

Did I show you my "infinite flight" idea? I can repost.

Last edited:
Top Bottom