• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Im pretty sure those two were popular before the anime. Pika became fan favorite since the original game.
Then again, Lucario speaks, so there really is more than just games as source.
If it was based on the popular pokemon in the games, the original 12 pokemon probably woukd have been charizard and mewtwo. But back on topic though, how would people rate the chances of a villain trailer including Ridley happening in August?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
If it was based on the popular pokemon in the games, the original 12 pokemon probably woukd have been charizard and mewtwo. But back on topic though, how would people rate the chances of a villain trailer including Ridley happening in August?
Eh...50%.

Not only does Ridley need closure, but the potential Zelda rep, the Dark Pit tease, and K. Rool. And assuming its Ghirahim (its not) or reworked Ganondorf or even Pig Ganon, a villain trailer featuring Ridley, K. Rool, Medusa, and Ganondorf would be the best thing ever...but it's unlikely due to limelight hogging.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Eh...50%.

Not only does Ridley need closure, but the potential Zelda rep, the Dark Pit tease, and K. Rool. And assuming its Ghirahim (its not) or reworked Ganondorf or even Pig Ganon, a villain trailer featuring Ridley, K. Rool, Medusa, and Ganondorf would be the best thing ever...but it's unlikely due to limelight hogging.
Yeah. Considering Ridley will come completely out of the blue for a LOT of people, not to mention a hypebomb, I can only imagine him being central in the trailer.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Eh...50%.

Decided now would be a good time as any to repost my "ultimate fan-service" villains trailer that would be Sakurai's "going out with a bang." of the Newcomer Trailers (that I came up with a few days ago).
In the spoiler:

On that note, here's a more general "villains" trailer that I thought up this morning:

Random blurb about my idea for a villain trailer:
Smash Bros. Fire Cross thing, trailer fades into Bowser being overwhelmed by the "hero team" of Mario, Samus, Link, DK, and Pikachu in the canyon area where Mega Man/Greninja was introduced, like the Mega Man trailer, it's nighttime like in the Mega Man trailer but rainclouds have moved in and partially hidden the moon and the stars. Bowser is fighting a losing battle in the rain that is going downhill fast and while trying to guard some of the attacks, Mario and Link find an opening, and both of them jump out from his blind spots (think of how Link/Mario did a jumping approach/attack on each other in the SSE cutscene where they first confront each other because one thinks the other KOed their princess), as Bowser was occupied with the other fighters. Link dives down (readying his classic thrusting finisher (Dair)) with Mario close behind him (readying a powerful punch akin to how he does his Fair). Bowser sees them but is unable to get out of the way, so he retreats into his shell to try to defend it. The simultaneous impact of Mario's Fist and Link's Master Sword on Bowser's shell crushes Bowser into the dirt, and a shallow crater is made as the impact sends out a powerful shockwave as a result (the impact also splays Bowser's limbs out of his shell, so he is laying spread eagle on his stomach, face down in the dirt). Mario and Link leap out from the shallow impact crater, Bowser (whom the camera has focused on for a brief moment), although struggling, cannot get back up (think of a person that is really hurt/drunk that keeps trying to stand up but falls back down to the ground; Bowser can't even push himself up with his arms at this point). Seeing this, Mario, Link, and the others (who have come and stood next to them) start doing a little celebration of seemingly another victory for the franchise "heroes." As they are celebrating, the rain still falling an average amount (not pouring, but a little less than a typical rainy day level of precipitation), the clouds begin to darken as lightning (in the clouds above them) flashes and the daunting boom of thunder (severe storm level volume) roars throughout their battleground.

The sudden crash of thunder and lightning comes with the rain going from average fall-rate into downpour levels. The heroes, who all flinched from the sudden, very loud thunder, look up to the clouds, miming wonder/confusion (also doing things like shielding themselves from the rain, DK covers his head with his hands, link holds his shield over his head, etc.) at the sudden apperance of such a severe storm. A few more lightning flashes are seen in the clouds as an almost blinding darkness falls onto the battlefield (the black clouds now completely covering the sky). Then, something lands near Bowser, and a lightning bolt suddenly falls onto the battlefield near Bowser and in front of the fighters, and with the brief light provided by the lightning, the fighters (and audience) can see the the silhouette of a large, ominous, humanoid figure wearing a cape who is standing over Bowser, Link gasps, and looks stunned as he stares the figure, before the battlefield fades into darkness once more and thunder booms again (The camera is from the perspective of Ganondorf, the audience can see his cape/ambiguous details about him without actually seeing his face and can see Link's reaction). As this thunderclap fades, the fighters can hear the sound of three more creatures landing close behind them. A lightning bolt flashes again, and DK, Pikachu, and Samus can see the silhouettes of a large, seemingly overweight humanoid crocodile, an alien-like humanoid creature with a tail, and a dragon-like creature low to the ground, his head covered slightly by a large pair of wings. The camera at this point is from the perspective of the newly appeared villains looking at DK, Pikachu, and Samus and the reactions they are having to recognizing the foes that just appeared; however, the audience can still see glimpses of the appearing villains, a glimpse at K. Rool's scales/cape, of Mewtwo's tail/feet, and Ridley's wings/tail all from behind them. The villains have fallen in a circle-like formation, surrounding the heroes and stepping closer. The camera changes to Bowser as he can be seen stirring, lifting his head slightly and forming a smile as he sees who all has just appeared. Then, a volley of lightning bolts falls to the ground suddenly, and it lights the area brightly for a good amount of time as Ganondorf walks up to Link (the camera now revealing his face), laughing; K. Rool approaches DK, also laughing ("K. Rool Joins the Battle!"); Mewtwo approaches Pikachu, his eyes glowing (like they do in the movie) and him either doing his sinister laugh (like his Melee taunt) or his actual Pokemon call ("Mewtwo Strikes Back!" him being the only veteran to get one because of his special circumstance); and finally, Ridley spreads his wings fully as he stands up, roaring loudly in Samus's face as his eyes glow in the darkness ("Ridley Joins The Battle"). The heroes recover from their shock slightly and prepare to fight as the villains lunge at them (Ganondorf takes on Link and Mario since Bowser is out of commision, btw). Cut to game footage of the villains dominating the heroes, going in order of the reveals in the cutscene (or reverse order), showing off a remade Ganondorf and Mewtwo and part of the movesets of K. Rool and Ridley. Music from each of their boss fights plays for each of them. After all the villains are shown, the trailer fades back into the battleground cutscene, the heroes locked firmly in battle with the villains (and the rainstorm continuing), the sound of a motorcycle engine can be heard as the camera focuses in on the engine of a bike with a W and a mustache on it as Wario comes riding in to the fight from the distance. Villains and heroes alike stop and notice who's coming, and panicking, all begin to run in the opposite direction, (Bowser now trying to limp away with them). The camera zooms back onto Wario, who noticing the panic, cracks a slight smile as he cranks the throttle on his bike to move even faster towards the fight (closing in very quickly now). The camera zooms back briefly on the fighters, some of the villains trying to trip or impede the heroes while they [the villains] make their escape, Ridley, for example, can be seen trying to take off into the skies (meanwhile Wario can be seen making it to the scene, the camera panning slowly outward from a bird's-eye view so the audience can see both Wario and all of the other fighters trying to run from him). Wario successfully closes the gap, but his bike's front tire hits one of the protuding edges from the impact crater and Wario's bike bucks him like a horse as he flies headlong through the air over the fighters (Ridley "shrieks" kind of like "oh no!" as Wario not only is in the range of the other fighters, but is also near/above him in the air now). Wario, although temporarily startled, notices his position and smiling, repositions his body mid-air to an upright position. The audience can see his backside begin to glow as he begins to chuckle. The trailer cuts to the Smash Bros Logo as the audience can hear (but not see) Wario's Fart Explosion go off violently. The trailer then fades out from the logo, as it does for all the other ones.

End of trailer.

It's heavy on characters, but I was envisioning this being the end all be all of newcomer videos so that Sakurai could "go out with a bang" so to speak.

On the topic of a Ridley villains trailer actually happening, I would say 40%.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Decided now would be a good time as any to repost my "ultimate fan-service" villains trailer that would be Sakurai's "going out with a bang." of the Newcomer Trailers that I came up with a few days ago).
In the spoiler:

Aw man...How long would that trailer need to be to contain the awesomeness and not feel rushed?

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Mewtwo was wanted for the first game. Jiggly has been a fan favorite since the beginning alongside Pika and the starter pokes. Sakurai picked the puffball because he could reuse Kirby's animations. This is totally related to Ridley btw, because.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Aw man...How long would that trailer need to be to contain the awesomeness and not feel rushed?
To be honest, probably 8 minutes at least :laugh:, but as I said, it'd be the ultimate/final Newcomer Trailer.

Go BIG or go home, you know?

Last edited by a moderator:

NatP

Smash Ace
Yeah. Considering Ridley will come completely out of the blue for a LOT of people, not to mention a hypebomb, I can only imagine him being central in the trailer.
I can totally imagine him barging in out of NOWHERE, in typical Ridley fashion.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I can totally imagine him barging in out of NOWHERE, in typical Ridley fashion.
I can see him coming in towards the end. Like, let the hype quell down for Mewtwo and the rest, and as everyone is disappointed that Ridley isn't in (aside from the detractors), have him barge in at the end. Imagine how much hype that would make.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Im sure ridley will be revealed in august

And if its a second smash direct due too the 3ds version almost out in japan thats a lock.

Now as for the rumor being correct about chrom not playable

One big problem it claimed lucina is a alternate for marth but its not shes her own character. And for a taunt for her you can put on the mask whenever or take it off whenever.

Last edited:

yosharioIII

Smash Apprentice
I've been thinking about Ridley's neutral special. The standard attack could be a spam of plasmaballs based on one of Meta Ridley's attacks in SSBB. One of the custom moves could be the big fireball that sends a shockwave along surfaces, from the past games, and the other could be Meta Ridley's Laser Breath.
That's actually not too far off for that Ridley brawl hack that's out there. A spamming fire ball for standard b and a chargeable one for down b. It's not the best hack out there, but it's the only Ridley out there really. A bit difficult to control, and also he's too small (yeah I said it) but I believe it was necessary for some reason. It just looks a little silly to have a small disproportionate Ridley hover in place like Brawl boss Ridley instead of huge and hunched over. Some one should really make a new one.

Also yes I'm not necessarily expecting, but hoping a villain trailer. It'd be neat, and with basically all at least sligthly villainish character not around yet, it's quite possible.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Decided now would be a good time as any to repost my "ultimate fan-service" villains trailer that would be Sakurai's "going out with a bang." of the Newcomer Trailers (that I came up with a few days ago).
In the spoiler:

This will be the most incredible thing I have ever seen in my life if it happens. The universe would implode from the hype.
Also, as far as it happening, I would say 30 - 40%.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
That's actually not too far off for that Ridley brawl hack that's out there. A spamming fire ball for standard b and a chargeable one for down b. It's not the best hack out there, but it's the only Ridley out there really. A bit difficult to control, and also he's too small (yeah I said it) but I believe it was necessary for some reason. It just looks a little silly to have a small disproportionate Ridley hover in place like Brawl boss Ridley instead of huge and hunched over. Some one should really make a new one.

Also yes I'm not necessarily expecting, but hoping a villain trailer. It'd be neat, and with basically all at least sligthly villainish character not around yet, it's quite possible.
People keep talking about this "prevalence" of certain villains thing, but I see a villains trailer as giving all of them the spotlight. At least all the ones not-yet-announced as far as veteran villains go. I'd really like it to happen, and naturally, Ridley would pop in randomly and surprise the hell out of everyone. I really, really want to see it happen. That said, I think Ridley is basically guaranteed to be announced before CoroCoro assuming he's playable. If he's not announced but is playable, everyone's going to know he's playable after CoroCoro says nothing about Pyrosphere.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Im sure ridley will be revealed in august

And if its a second smash direct due too the 3ds version almost out in japan thats a lock.

Now as for the rumor being correct about chrom not playable

One big problem it claimed lucina is a alternate for marth but its not shes her own character. And for a taunt for her you can put on the mask whenever or take it off whenever.

If the CoroCoro does go into detail about pyrosphere and doesn't say Ridley is a boss hazard then it's pretty obvious he's a playable character, which would be anti-climatic. Only way I see it working is if Ridley was a stage hazard boss and playable character. But gets revealed in August as playable

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I feel like the August trailer has got to be something special. I can't imagine that with the hype Ridley or k rool or especialy a villains trailer would create, that he would end with Chorus boys or something. That would be the definition of Anticlimactic. The only Characters I could see being revealed in August are Ridley, K Rool, or an all out Villains trailer.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I feel like the August trailer has got to be something special. I can't imagine that with the hype Ridley or k rool or especialy a villains trailer would create, that he would end with Chorus boys or something. That would be the definition of Anticlimactic. The only Characters I could see being revealed in August are Ridley, K Rool, or an all out Villains trailer.
The chorus boys will do their job as a boy choir as Ridley rises like an angel into the sky, eyes fiercely aglow with malice and contempt for all.
And then, of course, one of them screws up.

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
Am I the only one here who is indifferent about Ridley's appearance being climatic? I don't care if Sakurai makes a tweet or Miiverse post saying "Oh, and Ridley is playable now. He's a screenshot:"as long as I get to play the purple space pterodactyl in the end.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
I believe corocoro will only talk about 3ds stages
Granted the CoroCoro leak changed from All characters and stages, to just the ones revealed prior to CoroCoro's release, but I think they would have made it clear when clarifying about what will be revealed the last time if it was just 3DS.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Am I the only one here who is indifferent about Ridley's appearance being climatic? I don't care if Sakurai makes a tweet or Miiverse post saying "Oh, and Ridley is playable now. He's a screenshot:"as long as I get to play the purple space pterodactyl in the end.
I'm sorta the same way (months of waiting can do that to a guy) but as a dramatic tale of rising after a great fall (the Direct), I would feel cheated if Sakurai didn't fulfill his obligation with an all-out trailer.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Now I really hope this Villain trailer happens. Ridley, King K Rool, Mewtwo, and Ganondorf with an original moveset are the last few things I want in this game that aren't 100% certain. After something like that, anything else is extra imo.

Hey! This is my 200th message!

Last edited:

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
I'm sorta the same way (months of waiting can do that to a guy) but as a dramatic tale of rising after a great fall (the Direct), I would feel cheated if Sakurai didn't fulfill his obligation with an all-out trailer.
I'm not denying that there should be a trailer, something needs to make up for the lack of a story mode. Though I still don't get why he must be revealed on this prophesied day.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Same here, something climatic would be nice, but we're less than 2 months away from the Japanese 3DS release. If Robin's trailer was any indication Sakurai is probably just going to be dropping large amounts of characters whenever he feels like it.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm not denying that there should be a trailer, something needs to make up for the lack of a story mode. Though I still don't get why he must be revealed on this prophesied day.
The issue is, they're running out of time. CoroCoro is going to explain additional details about every announced stage and character to date. This would include Pyrosphere. If they don't bring up Pyrosphere at all, or indicate that Ridley isn't a stage boss, its going to prove that Ridley is a playable character. Its a bit anticlimactic if that happens, Ridley would probably need to be announced before it.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
In the spoiler:

My head would explode from the glory of this!

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Corocoro about pyrosphere
"This the pyrosphere, Samus can battle her nemesis here"
If Pyrosphere isn''t shown in corocoro, What will be the excuses that people will say to argue against him? That Ridley wasn't finished enough to take a photo of it?

Last edited:

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
"This the pyrosphere, Samus can battle his nemesis here"
If Pyrosphere isn''t shown in corocoro, What will be the the excuses that people will say to argue against him? That Ridley wasn't finished enough to take a photo of it?
"He's too big to be captured in a screen."

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
"This the pyrosphere, Samus can battle his nemesis here"
If Pyrosphere isn''t shown in corocoro, What will be the the excuses that people will say to argue against him? That Ridley wasn't finished enough to take a photo of it?
His nemesis ?

Nitpicking aside, you do make a good point, unless Corocoro says either the statement "Ridley is a boss on the Pryosphere" and just that statement, or they show an actual boss-sized Ridley doing boss things (not being small, flying slowly, and taunting) then Ridley will be all but confirmed.

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
If they don't bring up Pyrosphere at all, or indicate that Ridley isn't a stage boss, its going to prove that Ridley is a playable character. Its a bit anticlimactic if that happens, Ridley would probably need to be announced before it.
That is what I was talking about earlier, I don't see why it needs to be climatic.

D

Deleted member

I'm still a little confused, so Corocoro officially said that they would be covering all the stages now, not just the 3DS ones?

What is the source of this?

D

Deleted member

CoroCoro will only talk about announced 3DS stuff, characters and stages, unless Ridley is a boss in both versions, there is nothing to fear

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325

majora_787

Smash Hero
So it *IS* going to cover all stages and characters announced when they publish it. Okay. Well then, it'll most likely reveal Ridley's fate, unless they're INSANELY vague about everything and don't even remotely give an idea as to what happens on Pyrosphere.

How specific were they for Brawl?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
So it *IS* going to cover all stages and characters announced when they publish it. Okay. Well then, it'll most likely reveal Ridley's fate, unless they're INSANELY vague about everything and don't even remotely give an idea as to what happens on Pyrosphere.

I can see it now. "This is the Pyrosphere stage. We don't know if there's a boss on it or not. moving on."

How crule would that be?

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325

I don't remember how specific, but Nintendo could always tell them to keep Ridley's fate a secret. Haven't they stopped CoroCoro before?

I can see it now. "This is the Pyrosphere stage. We don't know if there's a boss on it or not. moving on."

How crule would that be?
You just wait. That's what's happening.

D

Deleted member

How would you react? We get a Direct in August 6th, just before CoroCoro and coincidentally, in Metroid's anniversary

majora_787

Smash Hero
The issue is if they dance around it AGAIN it's not like they're doing a good job of keeping Ridley's playability a secret. :Y They're just chafing asses because of reasons. It's already exceedingly suspicious that Pyrosphere was totally ditched from the demo.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
They could always not say anything. Make it look like they "forgot" or didn't "have enough room on the page" by filling it up with big pictures of the characters and random screenshots.

majora_787

Smash Hero
They could always not say anything. Make it look like they "forgot" or didn't "have enough room on the page" by filling it up with big pictures of the characters and random screenshots.
You can only sidestep around something for so long before everyone can tell you're avoiding something. Conveniently forgetting one of the most shown stages in an article covering every revealed stage would be even MORE conspicuous than covering every stage in some detail and then being vague about Pyrosphere.

Last edited:
Top Bottom