• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I like his eyes. So goofy. Kind of cute.
I hope no matter what design they go with they'll at least give him pupils. All Smash characters have a distinct personality, even the ones who can't talk, and a lot of that lie in the eyes, just look at Dedede. Ridley's Brawl model was perfect since it looked kind of goofy while also being the awesome space dragon we all know and love, and because of the eyes he was able to show off a personality too. Given that Samus' design is from Other M it's almost a given that Ridley, if he's in the game, will also use the Other M design, but since they've also edited Samus' model one can hope that they'll at least give Ridley a head which can show off more expressions, or at the very least give him eyeballs, to make him look like more than a mindless beast.

Btw, I just came home from a week's vacation, and I made a Ridley moveset in that time that I might post here eventually if I think it's good enough after a revision.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I hope no matter what design they go with they'll at least give him pupils. All Smash characters have a distinct personality, even the ones who can't talk, and a lot of that lie in the eyes, just look at Dedede. Ridley's Brawl model was perfect since it looked kind of goofy while also being the awesome space dragon we all know and love, and because of the eyes he was able to show off a personality too. Given that Samus' design is from Other M it's almost a given that Ridley, if he's in the game, will also use the Other M design, but since they've also edited Samus' model one can hope that they'll at least give Ridley a head which can show off more expressions, or at the very least give him eyeballs, to make him look like more than a mindless beast.

Btw, I just came home from a week's vacation, and I made a Ridley moveset in that time that I might post here eventually if I think it's good enough after a revision.
Yhyhyhyh....yo im high as ****kkkkk so babes tell me about your vacation?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yhyhyhyh....yo im high as ****kkkkk so babes tell me about your vacation?
Please, the place I was at was in Southern France, it was the most hippie of all towns, I've seen my fair share of high people in the last 7 days.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's amusing how certain Ridley images have him without any visible pupils, but in reality, he's had visible pupils before becoming Meta Ridley.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529

I was a little bored last night, so I decided to take the time to create my own custom Trailer for Smash Bros 4. Ridley is of course featured as the "Best for last" newcomer.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
His original appearance doesn't count. Hasn't GameFAQs taught you anything??
Though I know it's a joke I'm the kind of party pooper who wants to respond seriously to this.

Firstly, GameFAQs, ewww.

Secondly, his appearance has been retconned for sure, but that doesn't change the fact that his first appearance did have his pupils. Plus, he had pupils in Brawl too, his first appearance is mostly ditched in regards to the size argument, so while it has been retconned and doesn't count anymore the pupils argument still works since he had them in Brawl.

I can't believe I've sunk so deep in discussing Ridley to the fact that I'm trying to seriously discuss his eyeballs, I wish they'd announce whether he's in or not already...

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I can't believe I've sunk so deep in discussing Ridley to the fact that I'm trying to seriously discuss his eyeballs, I wish they'd announce whether he's in or not already...
The 300-response stinker of a Ridley topic currently festering on GameFAQs' first page makes me agree even more intensely than before.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Hehehe yh yh i just said that **** and went and done some other stuff...i didnt wanna offend anyone like that Vacation guy so i went for abit.

But yh man Ridley is awsome.....

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Hehehe yh yh i just said that **** and went and done some other stuff...i didnt wanna offend anyone like that Vacation guy so i went for abit.

But yh man Ridley is awsome.....
So I guess I'm officially the Vacation guy now. Somebody, quickly, fetch me some money for a custom title!

Keeshu

Smash Ace
New smashboarder here, still trying to read through this massive thread.

I just wanted to come by and say that I heavily support Ridley for SSB4.

When it comes to iconic characters from a series, the brawl roster pretty much has it covered already. Ridley is the only one left that I can think of.
I generally do not care what characters get added. The only one I wanted added before brawl was Meta Knight because to me, Meta Knight is one of the primary reasons why I play the Kirby games (bunch of fun and pretty easy stuff throughout the game, then suddenly a huge difficulty spike with meta knight). Now that he's in Brawl the only character left I can think of when it comes to iconic nintendo characters is Ridley, which I like for very similar reasons to Meta Knight. After Ridley gets added, I'll probably never ask for another character again.

Unfortunately when it comes to metroid games, I've only played through Super Metroid, Metroid Prime 1&2.
Based off those two Ridley fights, I always remember Ridley for his speed, fire, picking you up off the ground, and for having some of the most deadly looking tail attacks in video games. All making him the most intimidating Boss of the series (from what I've played that is).
I always forget how large Ridley is, because he certainly doesn't feel that large, but that's probably because of how gigantic other enemies are in the Metroid series and you don't really get to see a 3rd person camera of Samus except for when she's doing stuff with the morph ball.

Ridley will probably be my top alt (others being Link + Charizard, with Meta Knight being my main). Ridley will probably be one of the characters I wish to fight the most as well.

I do hope they plan to make Ridley a big (in comparison to other characters) and fast enemy, with some usage of fire + the tail, and maybe something with bitting his foes.
Aside from that I don't care what happens to him even if he's the "worst" character to use in the game.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
How on Earth did this not get any METROID IS A GIRL/CAN'T CRAWL response already?
I assumed the "Metroid being unable to get on her knees because she can't crawl" response was obvious enough, someone else would have made it by now. :urg:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'd have taken the high road and just posted one of my more 'risque' Metroid fan arts, but I felt I was pushing it as is.

This was the best/safest I could find on such short notice.

1983parrothead

Smash Cadet
People want Ridley, because they want more villains, more Metroid characters, and they love dragons.

But I have a feeling telling me that Nintendo / Sakurai find it absurd to have a large-looking dragon as a playable character. Even though they say size doesn't matter because of characters like Kirby and Ray MK. III being officially smaller than they appear in the SSB series, I assume that size doesn't matter for small characters, but for very large characters, it does matter.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Double standards.

Next your going to tell us woman shouldn't be allowed to vote

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
People want Ridley, because they want more villains, more Metroid characters, and they love dragons.

But I have a feeling telling me that Nintendo / Sakurai find it absurd to have a large-looking dragon as a playable character. Even though they say size doesn't matter because of characters like Kirby and Ray MK. III being officially smaller than they appear in the SSB series, I assume that size doesn't matter for small characters, but for very large characters, it does matter.
Ridley is more than a big dragon though, he's an actual character and no doubt a Nintendo All-Star.

As for the too big thing, just look back in this thread, the argument is constantly being stomped. But to make it easy, take a look at Bowser. Nintendo characters change sizes all the time, no reason Ridley should be an exception.

Xhampi

Smash Lord

It's only 3 weeks since I support Ridley and I'm already really tired of this "too big" argument. How do you guys support this since melee ?

So first, yes there are some people who want Ridley only because "He is a villain".
They are in general people who never played at a Metroid game or don't know much about them.
Basically, the same kind of people who want more women or swordmen becaause they enjoy these kind of characters, we can't do much about them since every character who fall under these category have a few of them and I'm sorry but we can't force them to play a metroid title or to do some research.

But, these people are like what, 5% of the Ridley fanbase ?

I suppose that there are some people who want Ridley because he's a dragon (I've never seen one of them but eh, maybe there are a few), but someone who support him for this reason only shouldn't even be called a Ridley fan, if they want their dragon, they should stick to Charizard and Bowser (kind of).

Still it's completly unfair to compare these few people with the others who want Ridley for what he really is.

And finaly, yes, Metroid is a big Nintendo series who deserve a non-Samus rep but this only one of the many things of why we think Ridley deserve to be in.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I can't shake the parallels I see between people calling Ridley "just a big dragon" and calling the U.S President "Barack Hussein Obama," as if the subject is immediately devalued because of their terminology.

Steelia

Smash Champion

Honestly - the biggest reason I want to see Ridley in SSB4... is so that Sakurai can show everyone that the hulking dragon can work. I may not have faith in the man as much these days, but he is more than capable of doing it. And I have a feeling whenever he does, it will be done in a fashion unique to Ridley, in a way none of us imagined. He's made a 2-D frame-by-frame character work, he's made a robotic NES accessory work. Some big purple space pirate creature?
Cake.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
A little stray away from Ridley for a moment...

Looks like the Yellow Devil is back in another shot. Also, he's under Kirby's control. God help us all...I'm personally not sure if he's a boss or not. But question...am I the only one who would love to play as the Yellow Devil?

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
But he's too big!
Nah, he's a pretty tame size if you ask me, only a little over twice the size of MegaMan, which is actually smaller than what he really is in the games. And maybe he only shows up in Sudden Death to help with edge-grabbers? And also...why would they pick, of everything from the MegaMan universe, the Yellow Devil to be a boss? I mean...you'd think it'd be this guy:

Nah, I must be dreaming. Anyways...how bout that Ridley?

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
A little stray away from Ridley for a moment...

Looks like the Yellow Devil is back in another shot. Also, he's under Kirby's control. God help us all...I'm personally not sure if he's a boss or not. But question...am I the only one who would love to play as the Yellow Devil?

This isn't even my final form!
-Kirby

Top Bottom