• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
(Post is later than planned due to a lengthy power outage where I am)

I'm not going to perpetuate this thing by making more lengthy quote-heavy posts.

Zage, the primary thing here is you fell off the moment you "stopped by" and claimed ALL supporters guilty of hurting the campaign, and since then you've fallen into the trap of using blanket terms and indiscriminate claims. You even say...

I wasn't accusing anyone in specific, I was speaking generally.
Do you not see a problem with that? Wouldn't it make more sense to specifically call out those harming the efforts of the group?

About my progression statement, understand the non-progression doesn't equate to dismissal. I don't hold such an idea as valid, but I do recognize that it adds to the fatigue of such a long-debated topic, and I recognize it increases the chances of somebody being called out as being a troll, true or not. Thus non-progressive discussion, while only fair to address like any other argument, needs to be handled quickly lest the discussion stall and breed frustration on both sides.

Back to the issue of generalizing, my responses of feeling accused by your posts is exactly why you ought to be careful before generalizing. You saying stuff like "your counter-arguments", "your holier-than-thou attitude"... what do you think is gonna happen?? Especially when you quote my post and say stuff like that?! I'm not in the wrong here!

And lastly, the issue about timing seems to have gone right over your head. It's not whether or not you're discussing Ridley-related stuff. It's the coming completely out of left field and launching this rebuttal, practically catching those currently talking off-guard. I mean, don't you think it makes sense to directly address the people immediately related to your subject at hand? This goes right back to the problem of speaking generally about something that should be specified.

Well anyway, what I'm trying to get across is actually off-topic as it's primarily focused on your posting etiquette. Plus, neither of us can apparently understand what we're trying to express. Even your last post shows a few instances of missing what I'm trying to say.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I honestly think that Ridley supporters are being too rude. (>_>)
He trolled us, so I trolled him, and that's how I roll.

Don't like it?
Throw your complaints down a hole.

I'm the champ, and the best you know
I beat this punk up to put on a good show,
as I do to anyone who wants to be my foe,
because Ridley is the best, and everyone else is below.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
You know, I still think Ridley being a crawling-based character (on the ground) is such an under-utilized concept. Think about it: he'd be really long on the ground, but man, he would be low, and thus kinda hard to hit without aiming down or being above him. And potentially, he could be a character that best works going ground to air, so being above him would potentially be a foolish move, and could set up some combos and maybe even a gimp if done/timed right.
there isn't a need to stoop down to their level.
It's all part of the persona of the egotistical champion. Next week I'll be the rehabbed "come to Jesus" champion after I come out of God Rehab with Zeus, Thor, and Tom Cruise! :chuckle:

Hey, over 17,000 title defenses can do that to a person! ;) :shade: :b: :laugh:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
You know, I still think Ridley being a crawling-based character (on the ground) is such an under-utilized concept. Think about it: he'd be really long on the ground, but man, he would be low, and thus kinda hard to hit without aiming down or being above him. And potentially, he could be a character that best works going ground to air, so being above him would potentially be a foolish move, and could set up some combos and maybe even a gimp if done/timed right.
But...but...if he's a quadruped, he'd look like a mindless beast! And, don't get me wrong, I don't hate mindless beasts, but it would be a sin to allow one into the wholesome game of Smash.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
John. You know you're proving him right.

Calm down. I know it's a persona to cause laughs and entertainment but there are better ways of doing that.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I have nothing against you, nor any person who voices their concerns for Ridley. I believe we'd be brothers in any other instance (were this the aforementioned Starfy thread, I'd definitely take your side) and honestly appreciate you taking the time to do your research in this thread in the first place.
Ismar teaches us argument rule #47, bring up the character in their avatar/username.

: P

I honestly think that Ridley supporters are being too rude. (>_>)

It's much better to ignore them than to use insults like that, really.
yeahhhhh this is what tended to... happen last time. on slightly different scales. heh...

I'm sticking by my argument, we should just reply to things with numbered arguments listed on the first post.

aaaand Imma reply to this and ignore all the rest of that argument

Just going to stop in and say that the number one thing that is hurting Ridley's campaign [I doubt anyone on smashboards actually affects Ridley's playable chances in smash. However, I agree that our thread has become way too dismissive to attract indecisive supporters who may legitimately have questions or people with misinformation in general] is that all his supporters think that people who have differing opinions than him are "trolls"[but on the other side of the argument, half of us making these dismissive remarks have been doing so since (checks join date) 2006 or so. Making the same arguments again and again get boring and we get lazy. See my above idea of literally posting all counter arguments on the front page, numbering them, and replying to people with numbers. We have done this for so long that we could literally do that.]. Every potential characters has their own counter arguments as to why they wouldn't fit into smash, they also have some points on why they would be a good candidate too. Learn to recognize both. [There are certainly genuine arguments for Ridley not fitting in smash. We simply have compelling counterpoints for all of them at this point. The only thing that would change that is if new game information came up]

Liking a character is one thing, but blindly supporting him and flaming anyone else who disagrees is silly.
[While this statement is 100% true, it also speaks to your lack of knowledge as well. People have been dismissive of you because you were dismissive of the thread's history. Maybe we should say something about that somewhere. Are some of us being *****? Yeah. Is the first post sarcastically written in a way that could be misunderstood by someone expecting a normal character support thread? Yeah. But how about you do some research, or just ask here a bit, about the three long pre brawl Ridley campaigns, and maybe ask for page long essays of counter examples (people have them). Liking is one thing we're doing. Blind, as in, biased, without any factual basis, is something we are not doing. Flaming, that may be a bit of a strong word, but we may be leaning towards that too much. But by making generalizations you already made half the people here ignore an otherwise thoughtful person.
Why did that change to blue at the end i dont even

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
You ran out of red, quite simply.

Aren't you guys using "troll" too much. It's more like, people are just being dumb.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
You know, honestly, Sakurai at the time of Brawl could have thought that Ridley was too big for a playable character (Especially in terms of ratio: Samus standing next to Ridley). Or even too difficult to work (lanky structure combined with size, dependency on projectiles which could lead to balancing issues, ect) or too much overlap with Charizard.

He thought the Villager would not fit in during Brawl. Looks like he changed his mind. So let us not get too crazy with over defending Ridley. Hopefully he will get in and Sakurai will realize that many people wanted him in for years and years now.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Let's not fight, people.

It's mean

Can't we just all get along and agree that Ridley would make a fantastic character and anyone that thinks otherwise is stupid?

Steelia

Smash Champion
I found this AWESOME miiverse post just now,
*pic*
Best one yet! only 95 yeaghs, though.
I've heard they've upgraded Miiverse a little bit. I don't own a Wii U myself, so I don't know exactly what it was, but I'm more wondering if it would benefit great fanart posts like these? I'd be down with even prettier pictures of Ridley support.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I've heard they've upgraded Miiverse a little bit. I don't own a Wii U myself, so I don't know exactly what it was, but I'm more wondering if it would benefit great fanart posts like these? I'd be down with even prettier pictures of Ridley support.
oh yeah, they upgraded from 100 characters to 200. for text-only messages, of course.

Ridley1994

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone,I'm new the boards and a firm supporter of Ridley.Although I'm new I've been haunting this thread for weeks.I honestly hope Sakurai actually gives Ridley a chance this time around.

Morbi

Scavenger
Hello everyone,I'm new the boards and a firm supporter of Ridley.Although I'm new I've been haunting this thread for weeks.I honestly hope Sakurai actually gives Ridley a chance this time around.
*Looks at name.
*Looks at mains.
*Approves.

Welcome to the boards. Another Ridley supporter couldn't hurt. I really hope Sakurai finally does it. I think his chances are pretty good though. 3rd times the charm. :bee:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well Brawl was the first time Ridley actually had a shot.
So if this is the second chance we're going to have to wait until the NEXT smash for Ridley to get in...

alright, pack up everyone we have to wait a while longer

Morbi

Scavenger
Well Brawl was the first time Ridley actually had a shot.
I thought he was considered for Melee but they couldn't do his tail. So he was just left in the opening movie. I am sure the thought crossed Sakurai's mind. I mean... being almost as iconic as Sam us didn't hurt his chances. I mean I could argue that he didn't even have a shot in Brawl because they decided it would be too hard. I was merely referencing the consideration of Ridley.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I thought he was considered for Melee but they couldn't do his tail.
Eh? Where did you hear that. I recall Gypsy_Lee from forever ago saying that, but there was never a source and I figure he was probably just making stuff up to shut people up.

But I mean, though Ridley stands amongst the top now, Melee still had to put in Peach and Bowser. Ridley is no where near the same league as them. With Brawl, there are only a few characters you could say it would actually make sense to cut them in favor of Ridley. Like, maybe Lucas? For the most part though, everyone added in Brawl made sense to add before Ridley.

What makes Ridley so OUTSTANDING nowadays is just because he's one of the few major characters from a major franchise not already in Smash.

Ridley1994

Smash Cadet
Well I was extremly dissappointed when I finally found out Ridley's fate when Brawl was released.He was the only character I wanted back when Brawl was anounced.I worked my frustrations out using charizard.Ridley would have been my mainstay in Brawl,but one could hope for a better outcome this time around.Also I wouldn't mind if they used the other m incarnation of Ridley,just Ridley.Nothing like that rumor I remember reading.The idea of using Ridley's life cycle to make him playable is completely upsurd.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I guess it's because the Ridley fanbase is so loud that the detractors assume we want... some incredibly accurate portrayal of him or something? Like they think "don't you know he won't be as scary/powerful/big/etc as he is in the games? You only think you want to play as him, but really being a boss is what best represents him."

Just. No? We want to play as a freaking space dragon, how is that hard to understand. I think everyone here agrees we just want to play as Ridley, knowing full well that LIKE EVERY OTHER CHARACTER IN THE SERIES he will be represented as a mere caricature of himself. Also like I said before, detractors seem to think Ridley is real and don't want to insult or embarrass him by making him trip on banana peels and wearing bunny hoods.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Geno is real. And he said he'd return from the heavens one day to save us all

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
Thinking about his grab move, (the flying one traditionally found in most fights against him in Metroid games) I'm wondering if it would be best to give him a Bowser Claw type special, or a DK style grab-'n-go. I'm leaning towards DK, except that instead of lifting them as a visual cue that he is now mobile, like DK, Ridley would jump/take off into the air and have the ability to pummel/fly.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
that can be said for both sides, really.
And probably even more for the anti-supporters' side. With every Johnknight, there are more Vaztors and the like out there.

Quick, ya better change your avatar to a different Ridley before people starting calling you an ugly abomination!

Hm, so you're the dark intelligence I've smelt through the air here for some time. Welcome.

Yeah and I'm the cunning god of death.
Aren't we all?

Thinking about his grab move, (the flying one traditionally found in most fights against him in Metroid games) I'm wondering if it would be best to give him a Bowser Claw type special, or a DK style grab-'n-go. I'm leaning towards DK, except that instead of lifting them as a visual cue that he is now mobile, like DK, Ridley would jump/take off into the air and have the ability to pummel/fly.
A Ridley (and better) version of Bowser's Koopa Claw from Melee would be pretty neat. As for a DK style grab, aside from what you said it would be amusing if when grabbing someone just after being in the air for too long, he takes the opponent down with him like Bowser's and Ganon's side special in Brawl often did.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Eh? Where did you hear that. I recall Gypsy_Lee from forever ago saying that, but there was never a source and I figure he was probably just making stuff up to shut people up.

But I mean, though Ridley stands amongst the top now, Melee still had to put in Peach and Bowser. Ridley is no where near the same league as them. With Brawl, there are only a few characters you could say it would actually make sense to cut them in favor of Ridley. Like, maybe Lucas? For the most part though, everyone added in Brawl made sense to add before Ridley.

What makes Ridley so OUTSTANDING nowadays is just because he's one of the few major characters from a major franchise not already in Smash.
I'm pretty sure they couldn't do tails in melee. Remember how they only got mewtwo's tail to work by making it one of his legs, and his leg legs were just one leg? something to do with the models, I think. It changed in brawl what with ivysaur, and several others.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
All Space Pirates ''Us'' Bow down to greatness
View attachment 1131

Wow...you PeePz are right..he is too BiG...(-_-) to not be playable this time round that is.
I think the head's a little too big compared to the rest of his body. Although I know Ridley's always had a big head, his head was pretty normal sized compared to his body in Other M.

His head can easily fit in his chest in this picture. I usually see alot of people designing Ridley with too big a head or wing-span compared to the rest of his body.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Soooo, with Other M Samus being confirmed, how are the Ridley Supporters feeling about Other M Ridley now?

Top Bottom