• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Without bothering to make an entry post of mine on SSBF's thread at the moment, I noticed that one or some had said that Sakurai said Ridley was too big at one point or that he commented that his size would make him more difficult to work. I'm guessing it's just misinformed people taking the old Nintendo Power quote out of proportion again?...

Hong

The Strongest
Even if that were said, Animal Crossing characters don't fight, amirite? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't even know why Ridley's size is relevant. I mean this argument has been brought up before. However, I think it holds significance. Olimar was scaled up drastically. I mean if you think about it Wolf is in Brawl. So next we will finally have our opening sequence dreams fulfilled. Imagine finally completing the cut-scene from Melee. It only took two games to finally get it done. That is beside the point! Maybe third times the charm?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Can you imagine if he does end up playable a year or so after release everyone will look back and think...........

Because Sakurai made him work so good like it wasent a problem in the first place....(-_-)

Morbi

Scavenger
Can you imagine if he does end up playable a year or so after release everyone will look back and think...........

Because Sakurai made him work so good like it wasent a problem in the first place....(-_-)
Most likely. That is the nature of the beast though. At least everyone would be appreciative for the first year or so. :estatic:

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I was wondering what was announced first for Brawl : Ridley as a boss or Norfair ?
If it was Norfair, I just can't help but smile as I imagine the flame wars that must have occured.

Come on Sakurai, announce us the Geothermal Power Plant as a new stage or the return of Norfair, please ^^

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I believe Norfair, Ridley's traditional home turf, and Ridley's theme were revealed at the same time... Oh Sakurai, why would you do that to us.

But Norfair was WAY FIRST. Ridley wasn't known to be a boss until after Brawl was released.

Morbi

Scavenger
I was wondering what was announced first for Brawl : Ridley as a boss or Norfair ?
If it was Norfair, I just can't help but smile as I imagine the flame wars that must have occured.

Come on Sakurai, announce us the Geothermal Power Plant as a new stage or the return of Norfair, please ^^
I don't know. I don't really think stages have anything to do with the roster. I mean they can give us good ideas. Norfair was just in the game for a Metroid level. I guess a lot of people think Little Mac is basically confirmed because of the Punch Out stage. If we do get Geothermal Power Plant I wouldn't necessarily think Ridley would have his foot in the door. Maybe I would feel like his chances are slightly higher. :cool:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I believe Norfair, Ridley's traditional home turf, and Ridley's theme were revealed at the same time... Oh Sakurai, why would you do that to us.

But Norfair was WAY FIRST. Ridley wasn't known to be a boss until after Brawl was released.
If it gets to the point where we all gotta wait that long and the outcome is the same...i cant help but Lol how messed up that would be.....

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

The regular Ridley's theme was one of the earliest updates, while Norfair as a stage was revealed somewhere halfway or so through the Brawl speculation period.

Other than that yeah.

I don't know. I don't really think stages have anything to do with the roster. I mean they can give us good ideas. Norfair was just in the game for a Metroid level. I guess a lot of people think Little Mac is basically confirmed because of the Punch Out stage. If we do get Geothermal Power Plant I wouldn't necessarily think Ridley would have his foot in the door. Maybe I would feel like his chances are slightly higher. :cool:
Assuming of course they don't show a copy & paste of the Power Plant from Dead or Alive Dimensions with Ridley grabbing random fighters from the background. Samus was also a background figure in that game though so hopefully that won't be the case.

But yeah, depending on the circumstances, don't let a stage give you too much or false hope for a certain character.

You had to tempt fate, didn't you?
Of course.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I obviously don't expect Ridley to be playable only because his stage can appear,even more when the geothemal power plant is one of the only iconic place in Other M anyway (I don't even see what else they could use) and what have happened in Brawl.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I admire what courage you have, coming into what is metaphorically a shark tank and dangling blood and chum in front of us.

But I flat out disagree. Frigate Orpheon (Parasite Queen room in particular) was hardly the most iconic place in Metroid Prime, yet it was a stage. And I really doubt they'd add in the Ridley fight stage again considering it was already in DoA Dimensions (complete with the aforementioned Ridley and Samus stage hazards). They have plenty of other potential from Other M, Prime 2/3, and even remaking some 2D Metroid stages.

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
The Vorash and Goyagma fights might work from MOM. GPP is just too plain, which is why it worked for DOA.

I'd really like Elysia from MP3:C.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
They're going to throw in Norfair again. They're going to name it "Ridley's Stage". And that will be the only mention of Ridley in the entire game.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I haven't seen this factoid discussed much in here, and SSBF's thread changed days too quickly for me to bring it up there, but what do you guys think about the fact that Ridley was originally intended to be an Assist Trophy, according to data files?

It suggests to me that he's not the boss to end all bosses, the most obvious one of all, but rather a versatile character that can fit into whatever role the developers place him into.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Pretty much, and even if he had been an assist trophy instead of two bosses, I think the demand for him in SSB4 would still be as high (Little Mac was an AT in Brawl too).

What I didn't get the chance to respond to in SSBF's thread was the whole thing on Ridley having no character or no more than an Octorok ( :laugh: ) because of being at work when it all went on. Again, probably for the best.

And I'll just leave this here. :p

http://browse.deviantart.com/art/Anime-North-2013-Meta-Ridley-375739295

Xhampi

Smash Lord
There could be a lot of reasons :
-Assist trophies were tought of before Bosses .
-Maybe that Sakurai decided that it would make no sense for Ridley to help any playable character.
-That Ridley was important enough to be the Metroid Boss...twice instead.
-That Metroid was enough for the Metroid assist trophies and decided to give Ridley another role.

Stil,l I don't think there is much to think about.
But, I still like how Ridley always get different roles in the smash fanchise : Background character in 64 (like Dedede and now the Villager) then part of the intro movie in melee (like Wolf) then a boss (Giga Bowser kind of).

What next ? Assist Trophy like he was planed to in Brawl ? Stage Hazard like in dead or alive ? Or of course, Playable Character ?

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Petey Pihranna was the first boss of Super Mario Sunshine, the 3D Mario game represented in Brawl, was a boss again in New Super Mario Bros, the most recent 2D Mario game and again in Mario & Luigi 2 and again in Super Princess Peach and even have multiple playable appearance in the Mario sports game and Double Dash, so yeah he was a pretty big antagonist back then. The only competition for this spot was King Boo being at the same level of importance and Bowser Jr which I still not get why, didn't appear outside of stickers and a trophy even tough he was and still is more important than Petey Pihranna.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

If you watch this video, you'll never look at Ridley the same way again. Now I know the MAIN reason why he follows Samus around. :troll:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I'll admit I blushed a little bit upon reading this, ChozoBoy.

"~ChozoBoy 4 minutes ago Student Filmographer
Congrats on your Ridley! Have you seen mine?
"
"Whoops, nevermind. Nice shot though!"

lol

If you watch this video, you'll never look at Ridley the same way again. Now I know the MAIN reason why he follows Samus around. :troll:
I liked the part near the end where she said Pikachu should be neutered or somethin more than I did anything Ridley said, actually.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
If Ridley gets in he'll probably be horribly butchered. I can't see any conceivable way for them to get Ridley to work in the game without defeating the purpose of having him in the game. He worked far better as a boss fight, because a boss fight allows for a Ridley appearance that actually manages to be like Ridley. Hell, they even gave us two boss fights, which to me seems like they're trying to make up for the fact that Samus is still the only Metroid character.

One thing I want to point out, the "Ridley is too big" argument has nothing to do with his size limiting him, it's the fact that one of the main points of Ridley is that he's a giant dragon. If they take away the "giant" part then it kind of loses the point. As a boss fight, they have no reason to reduce his size, so it all works out.

Hell, let's create a character here. Say, "Fred the giant." Fred the giant stars in a very popular game, takes off, and before you know it people are requesting him for Smash. However, there's a problem - Fred the giant is, well, giant! There'd be no way to include him, since if Fred the Giant was reduced to standard size, then he'd no longer be Fred the Giant. Just Fred. And no, I'm not saying his size is his only point of appeal, but it's still a major part of it.

And as someone else pointed out I think, Ridley is pretty much a cinematic boss fight. He has large, grandiose attacks that wouldn't work in a fighter unless they were toned down a lot which again, would be significantly less awesome. Again, this is why I like Brawl's boss fight - I'm able to fangasm over Ridley without feeling disappointed that this was what we got.

Sakurai could still put Ridley in the game - the demand is there, and the concept has been brought to his attention. It's still a possibility, especially considering the lack of Metroid representatives. However, he just isn't a good choice as a fighter.

I'm probably gonna be called a troll and be told to go back to Gamefaqs for daring to speak my mind on this matter, and judging by the hundred pages of debates/arguments/****-slinging in this thread I'm obviously not going to accomplish anything here. Just venting my thoughts here, so don't expect me to argue any more beyond this.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
You're stupid
dem argumentation skillz

I just don't see a Smash portrayal of Ridley doing the character any justice at all. If he gets in and is actually good, then by all means I'll eat my own words. No really, I'll write it out on a piece of paper and record myself swallowing it. Until then, I'd appreciate it if you actually, you know, wrote a substantial argument? Maybe? At least others in this thread have the common decency to argue their points instead of "NO U RIDLEY FTW," which is always a good start at convincing people they're wrong.

And just for the record I have no intention of actually arguing about Ridley's chances and/or possible portrayal in the game. It would just result in a monotonous chain of the exact same arguments again and again, and there's been enough of that here. I'm quite clearly of a completely different mindset than most of the people here. I'm sure you've all read loads of posts pretty much the exact same as mine.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
We've been writing arguments for the character since 2006 in the least. I don't think it's necessary to continue to write the same thing for seven years ever time someone new comes in

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
If Ridley gets in he'll probably be horribly butchered. I can't see any conceivable way for them to get Ridley to work in the game without defeating the purpose of having him in the game. He worked far better as a boss fight, because a boss fight allows for a Ridley appearance that actually manages to be like Ridley. Hell, they even gave us two boss fights, which to me seems like they're trying to make up for the fact that Samus is still the only Metroid character.

One thing I want to point out, the "Ridley is too big" argument has nothing to do with his size limiting him, it's the fact that one of the main points of Ridley is that he's a giant dragon. If they take away the "giant" part then it kind of loses the point. As a boss fight, they have no reason to reduce his size, so it all works out.

Hell, let's create a character here. Say, "Fred the giant." Fred the giant stars in a very popular game, takes off, and before you know it people are requesting him for Smash. However, there's a problem - Fred the giant is, well, giant! There'd be no way to include him, since if Fred the Giant was reduced to standard size, then he'd no longer be Fred the Giant. Just Fred. And no, I'm not saying his size is his only point of appeal, but it's still a major part of it.

And as someone else pointed out I think, Ridley is pretty much a cinematic boss fight. He has large, grandiose attacks that wouldn't work in a fighter unless they were toned down a lot which again, would be significantly less awesome. Again, this is why I like Brawl's boss fight - I'm able to fangasm over Ridley without feeling disappointed that this was what we got.

Sakurai could still put Ridley in the game - the demand is there, and the concept has been brought to his attention. It's still a possibility, especially considering the lack of Metroid representatives. However, he just isn't a good choice as a fighter.

I'm probably gonna be called a troll and be told to go back to Gamefaqs for daring to speak my mind on this matter, and judging by the hundred pages of debates/arguments/****-slinging in this thread I'm obviously not going to accomplish anything here. Just venting my thoughts here, so don't expect me to argue any more beyond this.
Eh... you know? For a person who doesn't support Ridley, you're not too bad. I kind of get the sense that you're more voicing concern, rather than purposely trying to deflate his support. I wish those who weren't supporting Ridley were more like you.

Still, I can't quite agree with you. I don't really think size really is a part of Ridley. Ridley is meant to be intimidating, and while making someone bigger is a way to make someone that, there is more than one way to do it.

To me, at least, what makes Ridley intimidating is that he is both feral and intelligent. He may act like some mindless monster, but there is a certain method to his madness, and is quite flexible, able to change his short-term goals in order to meet long-term ones. He knows the suffering he causes, and he enjoys it.

As for cinematic quality? Well, I have seen this video, and to be honest, I don't see anything significantly more powerful than specials once Ridley's around playable size. That's including Meta and Omega, by the way.

Don't take any of this the wrong way. I hope this may actually be a civil discussion for once about whether or not Ridley should be in.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Well I can see where you're coming from with the "intimidating" aspect. Ridley's intelligent side was never really shown outside of manuals and such until later games, but I suppose it was always supposed to be a part of his character.

Eh, I just don't see him working. I don't have any problems with Ridley as a character or the people who support him. If it does turn out great, then I'm not gonna complain.

^ I feel like I'm going to regret saying that now...

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

If Ridley gets in Butchered its because Sakurai butchered him and his moveset...enough said....look at Ganondorf... Thats your ''Butchered argument'' now your ''Size Arugement....(-_-) if canon power doeant effect char choice in smash how da fuq could size.....and then se Bowser.....i dont even need to say ''RealTalk'' at the end of this one.....

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
II'm probably gonna be called a troll and be told to go back to Gamefaqs for daring to speak my mind on this matter, and judging by the hundred pages of debates/arguments/****-slinging in this thread I'm obviously not going to accomplish anything here.
No one talks about my friends and Oasis like that!

Well I can see where you're coming from with the "intimidating" aspect. Ridley's intelligent side was never really shown outside of manuals and such until later games, but I suppose it was always supposed to be a part of his character.
Even if they haven't shown it as much until recent games, it's been evident even in his boss fights that he's not just a mindless monster, he actually uses tactics (going off just Prime, where he takes out both the relic tower granting access to Impact Crater AND he destroys an entire fleet/battleship alone, and he's SUPPOSED to be a mindless robot monster in those games) and more often than not ends up being one of the hardest bosses in said game. Regardless, the manga, in game descriptions (things like scans) and the like supplement the fact that he's both intelligent and devious (insert CUNNING GOD OF DEATH post here), but more often than not he's shown off of as the intimidating and feral dragon that everyone loves (seriously, who comes to see the dragon win a game of chess?) in the game purely because that's what they choose to use to appeal to the masses. It doesn't mean the source material for him is any less true.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Rofl...see Mewtwo..the most powerfull (tail whip..) pokemon in the world...
Sakurai ****s ups chars who cares how popular and wide range of moves and potential any char could have....anyone can be good and anyone can suck...

Jighlypuff High Tier in Melee
Mewtwo low tier....

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Um, I dind't say anywhere that he would be a bad fighter. I was saying that he just wouldn't feel like Ridley to me, I said nothing about his actual strength.

Top Bottom