• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Everyone thought Ridley would be playable when they saw the intro of Brawl.
Not the least because he was like the same size as Samus.
Ppl all over the world has been screaming for Ridley ever since.

Sakurai knows this.
Ridley will be playable.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Yes, I mean Melee.
Then he didn't appear in Brawl - ppl started ******** even more.
He will be in now.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I missed all those good talkings, but I definately agree with the Prime 3 walk. Also, small-winged Ridley needs to stop happening.

We need medium-size winged Ridley. Small wings like on his sprites is a bit odd, but large wings like on Brawl Ridley really isn't practical.

I've also been thinking about something lately... This scene of Battlefield...

...Has no platforms. I've already brought this up on the SSB4 Stage Discussion thread. But for this thread, I wanted to bring up an idea...

...What if Ridley was confirmed for SSB4, and it turns out he's relatively LARGE. Like 1.5x Bowser large? What if Sakurai decided to have special "Huge Characters" that when selected cause the stage's appearance to be altered?

While not an extreme altering as in the above pic (removing platforms), what if stages undergo minor changes in order to accommodate huge characters, such as reordering platforms so these characters had a spot to spawn on without clipping deeply into whatever's floating int he air? Maybe the stage floor increases slightly in width? Maybe some stages don't change at all?

This is just purely an idea. Not even one I consider good or bad. Just trying to think outside the box.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It also happens with Ganondorf.

That Battlefield with no platforms is probably just a test stage Sakurai used to demonstrate the characters' moves. Final Destination may not be finished yet, so he likely improvised by removing the platforms from Battlefield.

I don't think stages should alter with characters, no matter their size.

D

Deleted member

Yes, and Ganondorf in Brawl.

Though I was talking in terms of Smash 4. Bowser has already been shown to clip through things; notably underneath Battlefield's platforms.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I'm talking about severe clipping, as in neck or below, not just the cranium.

About that Battlefield being a test stage, keep in mind that Mega Man was demonstrated on both Battlefield and Wily's Castle. Why not just stick to Wily's Castle if more space for demonstration was needed? Also, Wii Fit Trainer showed up on that Battlefield stage as well, but she has a stage that looks to have had plenty of room to showcase her movements.

Edit - If there's any reason to not stick to Wily's Castle, it may have to do with the speculation that Yellow Devil is a stage hazard.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
There's something with the platforms on the sides moving on Wily's Castle. The platform had white lines going from it like how the platforms do in Crash Man's stage in MM2. It's not clear what the movement patterns are (it might draw new lines and move along those, or it might always move along the same pattern, we don't know). So even without the Yellow Devil, they haven't shown us everything about the stage. They haven't really revealed much about any of the stages but Battlefield. We don't even know how much room is on the sides of the boxing ring, for example.

D

Deleted member

There's something with the platforms on the sides moving on Wily's Castle. The platform had white lines going from it like how the platforms do in Crash Man's stage in MM2. It's not clear what the movement patterns are (it might draw new lines and move along those, or it might always move along the same pattern, we don't know). So even without the Yellow Devil, they haven't shown us everything about the stage. They haven't really revealed much about any of the stages but Battlefield. We don't even know how much room is on the sides of the boxing ring, for example.
What's your point? What does this have to do with Ridley?

bobadz

Smash Ace
Getting back on topic. Some people are saying this quote deconfirms Ridley.

Kotaku: I know that you can't talk too much about the characters that will be in the next game, but for previous Smash Bros. games, have there ever been characters that you wanted to include but couldn't figure out a good mechanic for them, like a way to fit them into the game?

Sakurai: Yeah, there's been a lot of instances like that. For example, there are places where we planned to have a character but then implementing that character just didn't work out. Or we wanted to implement some character but there was too much overlap with other characters from the same title, and it didn't work out. Or there's places when I wanted to implement some character, but the image for how it works in the game just never comes to fruition.
But, I'm certain he's talking about character like balloon fighter, Mach Rider, and the forbidden 7 because up until now sakurai never considered Ridley..

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
That statement is too vague, and intentionally so. Even then, the last statement kind of makes such speculation pointless. Villager sounds exactly like a character that Sakurai couldn't initially see working in the game only to later come up with something different. People want to link Ridley to "just didn't work out", but that in itself is pure speculation.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
That statement is too vague, and intentionally so. Even then, the last statement kind of makes such speculation pointless. Villager sounds exactly like a character that Sakurai couldn't initially see working in the game only to later come up with something different. People want to link Ridley to "just didn't work out", but that in itself is pure speculation.
Yes...Ridley has more nicknames and tags then Chuck Norris...well what can you say if your the #1 most wanted nintendo all-star thats left?
Fame brings haters..

Ridley is a celebrity!

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I agree! Ridley Silverlake for SSB4!!!

Cuz that thing from Metroid is too big to be a playable character. :3

D

Deleted member

Well, time will tell if Ridley will become playable or not. If he's debunked, then that's okay with me.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I just remembered that Ridley's up for Rate Their Chance tomorrow. Hopefully enough knowledgeable people vote to counteract the inevitable "Too Big"-ers.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Here are some of the Ridley concepts I'd made so far. This one's based off the concept of a primarily quadrupedal Ridley.

Focusing more on potential stances than artistic accuracy, so please excuse the ugliness or iffy consistency between stances and Ridley's posture. Using MSPaint for this. I have a graphic tablet, but it's not so great, so MSPaint is the best tool I can use. Also I honestly should be drawing a line to represent a floor before drawing each stance as that would help. Oh well.

There are a LOT more to make, and I intend to make multiple attack concepts, some for the same input. And at some point I may make some concepts for Bipedal Ridley as well. I also had planned to get an image of Bowser (preferably SSB4 Bowser) and place him alongside Ridley's neutral stance to show the height difference. In my head I have Ridley as tall as Bowser while in neutral stance. That makes Ridley VERY large in length. Perhaps he could go a tad smaller so as not to take up too much space on a normal-sized stage, but for now that's what I'm going for.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Y-Y-YOU CALL THIS Ugly !? I wouldn't be able to draw like this to save my life O_o
Not that Ridley can be ugly anyway, except for you 2 original Ridley and Mystery creature.
I defintly don't mind quadrupedal Ridley, the Meta-Ridley battle and the Other M being some of my favorite fights with our little purple friend.

I can't wait to see more of those.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Considering you used MS Paint for that, still fairly impressive. Don't let anyone tell you less.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I should say by "ugly" I'm just noting its proportions are inconsistent and stuff like that. It's mostly that "artist critique" in me that's talking. I'm sure anybody who draws a lot gets like that when showing other people. :p I definitely will continue.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
While those drawings are awesome, I'd rather have a Ridley that uses both quadrupedal and bipedal stances- bipedal for neutral stance, quadrupedal for everything else. When he's in neutral stance, I feel he should be standing up so his claws are already raised and ready to attack quickly, rather than having to get up before fighting. Animals in the wild with a similar anatomy to Ridley- in terms of having four legs with powerful claws on the front ones- use this sort of posture, normally moving on four legs but standing up in order to be maximally alert and ready to fight. See bears, anteaters, monitor lizards, and for less combative examples, meerkats.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Here are some of the Ridley concepts I'd made so far. This one's based off the concept of a primarily quadrupedal Ridley.

Focusing more on potential stances than artistic accuracy, so please excuse the ugliness or iffy consistency between stances and Ridley's posture. Using MSPaint for this. I have a graphic tablet, but it's not so great, so MSPaint is the best tool I can use. Also I honestly should be drawing a line to represent a floor before drawing each stance as that would help. Oh well.

There are a LOT more to make, and I intend to make multiple attack concepts, some for the same input. And at some point I may make some concepts for Bipedal Ridley as well. I also had planned to get an image of Bowser (preferably SSB4 Bowser) and place him alongside Ridley's neutral stance to show the height difference. In my head I have Ridley as tall as Bowser while in neutral stance. That makes Ridley VERY large in length. Perhaps he could go a tad smaller so as not to take up too much space on a normal-sized stage, but for now that's what I'm going for.
Love the picture, really well done for just being made in Microsoft Paint. If I had money, I'd probably commission you to assist me in designing my Ridley Moveset. XD That, and I think I've hit an artist block ever since I drew the picture that's in my avatar. And that sucks too...I wanted to draw a huge group picture with Ridley, K.Rool, Mewtwo and a bunch of others sailing towards Smash 4. :ohwell:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Love the picture, really well done for just being made in Microsoft Paint. If I had money, I'd probably commission you to assist me in designing my Ridley Moveset. XD That, and I think I've hit an artist block ever since I drew the picture that's in my avatar. And that sucks too...I wanted to draw a huge group picture with Ridley, K.Rool, Mewtwo and a bunch of others sailing towards Smash 4. :ohwell:

Well, K. Rool does have a boat big enough for all of them! :shades:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
inb4SuperSmashBros.Fan
Maybe you scared him off from this thread.

edit: I'm just waiting for the likes of M15t3R E to jump in on SSBF's thread topic though.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I was surprised how big the Halberd was in Brawl, larger even than the great fox, but I guess when you take into account that it's actually piloted by a 9" little guy, I suppose it wouldn't be all that big.

Well, probably still pretty big. Big enough to probably fit into the Great Fox's docking bay with the rest of the Arwings...

Oh man, I don't have time to get into figuring out how large exactly it is...

Top Bottom