• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I'd like to see Ridley stand like that and put on a top hat and do a tap dance.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
It doesn't really concern ridley in smash but I figured that it can maybe interest you :
I was watching the game theory episode about the morphball when I asked myself a question : how big Ridley actually is ?

So I looked in different wikis but to no avail. I then decided to use their technique to find out how tall is Ridley :

But first thing first, for the people who don't watch game theory here's how were going to do this :
We will calculate how big is a pixel in those game thanks to our knowlage of Samus heigh :
Samus is 6'5" or 1 Meter 96 tall if you prefer.
Knowing this we can learn how big is a pixel by doing this calcul : Samus heigh (77in or 196cm) divided by the number of pixel tall she is the games.
After this we will just have to multiply this number by how many pixel tall Ridley is.

Metroid

In this game Samus is 32 pixel high. Let's do our calcul :
77 divided by 32 = ~2.4
Or 196 divided by 32 = ~6.1
So 1 pixel in the original metroid is equal to 2in 4 or 6cm 1

Ridley in that game is 40 pixel tall so :
2.4 X 40 = 96
Or 6.1 X 40 = 244

So in the original Metroid, Ridley is 96in ( 8' ) or 2m 44cm if you prefer.

Metroid : Zero Mission

In this game Samus is 36 pixel high. Let's do our calcul :
77 divided by 36 = ~ 2.1
Or 196 divided by 36 = ~ 5.4
So 1 pixel in the Zero Mission is equal to 2in 1 or 5cm 4

Ridley in that game is 102 pixel tall so :
2.1 X 102 = 214.2
Or 5.4 X 102 = 550.8

So in the remake of the original Metroid, Ridley is 214in 2 ( 17'9" ) or 5mr 50cm if you prefer.

Super Metroid

In everyone favorite game Samus is 43 pixel high. Let's do our calcul :
77 divided by 43 = ~ 1.8
Or 196 divided by 43 = ~ 4.6
So 1 pixel in the Super Metroid is equal to 1in 8 or 4cm 6

Ridley in that game is 89 pixel tall so :
1.8 X 89 = 160.2
Or 4.6 X 89 = 409.4

So in this game, Ridley is 160in 2 ( 13'4" ) or 4m 09cm if you prefer.

Fusion

In this game Samus is 35 pixel high. Let's do our calcul :
77 divided by 35 = 2.2
Or 196 divided by 35 = 5.6
So 1 pixel in Fusion is equal to 2in 2 or 5cm 6

This game contains 2 Ridley : the Other M's remains and his immitation Ridley X
Ridley's clone remains in that game is 84 pixel tall so :
2.2 X 84 = 184.8
Or 5.6 X 84 = 470.4

So in Metroid Fusion, Other M's Ridley is 184in 8 ( 15'4" ) or 4m 70cm if you prefer.

The immitation is 112 pixel tall so :
2.2 X 112 = 246.4
Or 5.6 X 112 = 627.2

So Ridley X is 246in 4 ( 20'5" ) or 6m 27cm if you prefer.

And people say that Ridley can't change of size ^^

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I do those sorts of things so often you wouldn't even know.

http://www.vgf.com/forums/showthrea...t-amp-Weight?p=1391180&viewfull=1#post1391180

This thread here is the most beautiful thing I have witnessed in life. The guy took the models straight from Other M and compared the sizes. Though Ridley's isn't quite accurate since, I assume, the measurement given is from a T-pose rather than how he would stand normally, he's probably still over 20 feet tall.

Would really like to see Meta-Ridley's height from Prime 1. That's a lie, I would like to see his height from everything.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Bowser is bigger than I expected, Ridley isn't even twice his size Oo
How do you figure/what are you figuring/as in using actually figures of measurement?

If you have supposed height measurements I want to here them. We can have a height discussion right here and now I mean do you want to talk about Godzilla monster heights I can do that too all day.

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
And people say that Ridley can't change of size ^^
The first Metroid isn't worth measuring because nobody will take that seriously. It's not on-model with the modern portrayal. Keep in mind that Ridley is posed differently in each, so pixel ratios won't be accurate. Same goes with the pose of our baseline, Samus. As the thread above shows, if it is innaccurate by even a bit, the ratio of the larger number can change drastically. Lastly, Fusion's X-Parasite isn't Ridley. It's not even a clone, like MOM, because the X do agressive adaptations, not direct copies.

I'd also love to see Prime, Corruption, and MOM posed/unposed model comparisons if they are ever made available. Heck, Brawl too. (Though we already know that is a rotoscope of Super Metroid in a new pose.)

Xhampi

Smash Lord
How do you figure/what are you figuring/as in using actually figures of measurement?

If you have supposed height measurements I want to here them. We can have a height discussion right here and now I mean do you want to talk about Godzilla monster heights I can do that too all day.
Actually I was wrong, I've read Other M Ridley high as 4.63 meters instead of 8.8 meters, eh eh eh erm sorry X_X
At least it's still true with the Ridley height that I did get (minus Ridley X) =/

Kiryu and King Ghidorah FTW

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
Even so, it gives us a pretty good idea of his size range. He's definitely under 30 feet tall.
I know. The one I built in my icon was to scale with my girlfriend's Samus costume, and she's 5'2". I think my Ridley was about 10.5' with an open mouth and 10 without. My head is next to it's nose and I'm 5'10".

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I know. The one I built in my icon was to scale with my girlfriend's Samus costume, and she's 5'2".
I'm going to have to stop you right there I mean we're talking Ridley here, and height, and love.

I'm going to have to sit down. My heart can't handle this discussion.

Also, Xhampi, though I'm not really an active Godzilla fan, I used to try and come up with a "universal" Godzilla height chart. Does Mechagodzilla/Kiryu sound about right at 55 meters, and Ghidorah at 70. Always figured Biollante should be 75.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Also, Xhampi, though I'm not really an active Godzilla fan, I used to try and come up with a "universal" Godzilla height chart. Does Mechagodzilla/Kiryu sound about right at 55 meters, and Ghidorah at 70. Always figured Biollante should be 75.
Great, now I want to see Ridley use King Ghidorah's gravity beam in Fourside.

The original Godzilla being 50 meters and Kiryu probably winning a few meters when he was rebuild, I would definitly agree with 55-60 meters.

Ghidorah change of size a lot of times so it's hard to tell, but I do remember someone saying in Ghidorah, the three-headed monster that King Ghidorah was 100 meters, but yeah I don't think it's really possible to give him an actual size (like Godzilla I would say).

And finally Biollante is HUUUUGE, probably something like 120-130 meters but here, it's pretty much speculation on my part.

Zilla for SSB4 because "Size does matter". :troll:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
This thing is old, but

Hmmmmm Thsy roster is very good and very realistic imo only two things.

I doubt Diddy & Doxie tag team
Too many 3rd parties took priority over first party which is the worse thing ever.

I would be fine with this roster though i got my samus i got my improved bowser and mewtwo is back!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That's called a T-Pose. In animation, you model and rig characters in a T-Pose to start off with and then set the bone controls to the posture you want from there. You don't see a T-Pose in-game.
Maybe not, but when you look at Yoshi's Brawl model, he's not exactly using the typical T-pose stance, while Ridley actually is.

Anyway, Ridley can always be bipedal when he has to be, so it's not like he's always on all fours while on the ground.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Oh finally! I've been refreshing this page for almost an hour trying to get it to work! Well, I can safely say I've found a way to design Ridley where he can functionally walk on his two hind legs, and I have proof to back up this walking pattern.

He's clearly walking on his hind legs before the battle. Rebuttal anyone?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I suggested the Omega Ridley stance a couple of pages back too I believe. I think it's the best looking one walk cycle he has, and it's pretty much just how I've always imagined his pose in a Smash Bros game as a character.

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
Oh finally! I've been refreshing this page for almost an hour trying to get it to work! Well, I can safely say I've found a way to design Ridley where he can functionally walk on his two hind legs, and I have proof to back up this walking pattern.

He's clearly walking on his hind legs before the battle. Rebuttal anyone?
I don't have a problem with him walking on his hind legs, only running or standing erect like a human, which he only does briefly after getting hit as Meta-Ridley. Nice catch, though.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I don't have a problem with him walking on his hind legs, only running or standing erect like a human, which he only does briefly after getting hit as Meta-Ridley. Nice catch, though.
The only time Ridley should stand erect is if he's stunned/dazed, other than that, he should always be crouched. I don't know why, but I always found that walk somewhat funny, a "Hey, I'm here and I mean business" kind of walk. :p

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
just look at your profile pic, duhh. (i was actually there xD)
That's cool! Get a pic?

There's several distinctions that have needed to be repeated in this discussion, but this time it is standing vs. walking. My Ridley, while built to walk bipedially, was based on Super Metroid, which no ground locomotion and only had bipedial squatting. (Not quite true standing, but as long as nobody gets confused with how Ridley is postured, there's no problem.) The only ground locomotion references in games are MP, MP3C, and the clone in MOM.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I love how after the initial character reveal people either gloat or worry about a characters inclusion. They'll get revealed when they get revealed. Not being shown first doesn't hurt their chances.

What we have learned though is that Sakurai went back on one of his words and multiplied it by two. The villager is a character that we all rightfully assumed would be out of the picture because of Sakurai's opinion of him being nonviolent and not good for a fighting game. How can the same not be said about the Wii Fit Trainer? There may be some light boxing moves in the game(not sure) but all those yoga moves are not intended for fighting and look what we have!

We all(you not me ;)) think we know Sakurai's mind set but yet again he proves us wrong with something completely off the wall, unexpected and more importantly, something that went against his previous ideals.

Ridley is just as viable at this point as he ever was, or anyone else for that matter. I mean there are many out there that just can't imagine Ridley as a playable character. Imagine the shock that Sakurai would send down their spines?

I'll never forget seeing Olimar being playable for the first time. He was so huge I thought it was the most unnatural looking thing ever. Ant like creatures don't pick up and man handle grown men like Ike and Snake. Except well, they do, they did and I got used to it. If Ridley, Marx or Taboo made it in we would get used to it.

And dude, stop with the Marx comparisons. You saying Mewtwo should have never made it to Melee? he was always depicted as a near unstoppable force of nature. That kind of crap matters not in Smash.

Exactly. WFT and Villager should have given us MORE confidence in Ridley's inclusion because they prove that even "impossible" characters are not impossible. If Mr G&W, R.O.B., Villager and WFT can be worked into Smash, Ridley can too. Its never beyond hope.

My only concern is that the 3DS won't be able to handle Ridley dynamically. That's the biggest strike against him.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
The only ground locomotion references in games are MP, MP3C, and the clone in MOM.
In each of those he shows both bipedal and quadrupedal movement, right? I believe each fight with Ridley has him with an attack where he walks after you, trying to slash you with his claws. I think in Other M it has a bit more... "style" to it, though.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Exactly. WFT and Villager should have given us MORE confidence in Ridley's inclusion because they prove that even "impossible" characters are not impossible. If Mr G&W, R.O.B., Villager and WFT can be worked into Smash, Ridley can too. Its never beyond hope.

My only concern is that the 3DS won't be able to handle Ridley dynamically. That's the biggest strike against him.
The 3DS has definitely been able to handle Ridley...I mean...remember this?

It looks like the 3DS can handle Ridley to me. Even in the same form we'll probably see him in too.

Aenglaan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aenglaan
3DS FC
0559-8074-9911
I am behind this 100%. If Ridely is too big for Smash Bros, so is Bowser. Besides, I think it's time that Metroid gets more representation than just Samus.

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
In each of those he shows both bipedal and quadrupedal movement, right? I believe each fight with Ridley has him with an attack where he walks after you, trying to slash you with his claws. I think in Other M it has a bit more... "style" to it, though.
I'd have to take a look again. I remember that Prime did a good job of hiding how primitive the animation was. He basically just translated instead of an actual walk or run cycle. Sort of like Fox's Illusion attack. He did one or two turning animations, too.

It looks like the 3DS can handle Ridley to me. Even in the same form we'll probably see him in too.
It can definitely handle him. If he isn't in this next one, we have to start saying that Smash is too big for Ridley.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
The 3DS has definitely been able to handle Ridley...I mean...remember this?

Yeah I just meant in the context of Smash. Its not his size or design, its how he would have to behave on Smash stages against other Smash fighters, and how hitboxes would have to work and stuff. The 3DS may get a little glitchy working him into such situations.

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I just meant in the context of Smash. Its not his size or design, its how he would have to behave on Smash stages against other Smash fighters, and how hitboxes would have to work and stuff. The 3DS may get a little glitchy working him into such situations.
The only area revealed so far where a big character might have trouble navigating is the low ceiling in the Spirit Tracks level. Still, Ridley at his Super Metroid size is smaller than Giga Bowser. How did he respond to low ceilings in Brawl?

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
The only area revealed so far where a big character might have trouble navigating is the low ceiling in the Spirit Tracks level. Still, Ridley at his Super Metroid size is smaller than Giga Bowser. How did he respond to low ceilings in Brawl?

Not well actually lol. There were a number of glitches involving large FS's in Brawl, especially Jiggs and the Landmaster. It wasn't too horrible and only REALLY stood out on custom stages, but yeah. Ridley seems like he'd have to have some adjustments made to fit into Smash obviously. I hope Sakurai doesn't find those adjustments too costly for the 3DS version and ends up cutting him.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
That's cool! Get a pic?

There's several distinctions that have needed to be repeated in this discussion, but this time it is standing vs. walking. My Ridley, while built to walk bipedially, was based on Super Metroid, which no ground locomotion and only had bipedial squatting. (Not quite true standing, but as long as nobody gets confused with how Ridley is postured, there's no problem.) The only ground locomotion references in games are MP, MP3C, and the clone in MOM.
"my ridley"

did.. did you make that? That'd be freaken sweet. (unfortunately i did not get a pic my friend had the camera at the time, we were passing it between ~3 people xD)

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Yes he cant fit on a 4GB too BiG

Top Bottom