• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Trying to get more Ridley support in the Miiverse community. I am seeing a lot of support for Ridley lately, though certainly not from my pictures.

I tried the "Too big NOT to be in Smash" angle and I think it back fired. That and I misspelled "too."

image.jpg

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Trying to get more Ridley support in the Miiverse community. I am seeing a lot of support for Ridley lately, though certainly not from my pictures.

I tried the "Too big NOT to be in Smash" angle and I think it back fired. That and I misspelled "too."

View attachment 1017
I've got to ask, since this was probably drawn with the Wii U gamepad. How good is the pad for drawing exactly? Is it anymore difficult than using a tablet?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I've got to ask, since this was probably drawn with the Wii U gamepad. How good is the pad for drawing exactly? Is it anymore difficult than using a tablet?
I havn't ever used a not wii-U tablet, but the wii U pad is pretty good for drawing. can't wait until that artist's studio app comes out, it'll be soo much better than miiverse.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

It does kind of read like "He's too big. He's just not to be in Smash."

WAY TO GO JOHN.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I havn't ever used a not wii-U tablet, but the wii U pad is pretty got for drawing. can't wait until that artist's studio app comes out, it'll be soo much better than miiverse.
Yeah, I'm waiting for that too. As someone who's planning on making things like this a career, it'd be great to get my hands on it.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
It's actually pretty easy but certainly harder than pencil and paper. You have to be very very very patient if you want that pixel perfect shading or just pixel art in general.

The only real difficulty lies in really intricate drawings and sometimes its hard to determin where your stylus meets the picture.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
It's actually pretty easy but certainly harder than pencil and paper. You have to be very very very patient if you want that pixel perfect shading or just pixel art in general.

The only real difficulty lies in really intricate drawings and sometimes its hard to determin where your stylus meets the picture.
I used to draw on a tablet that didn't have a built-in screen to see what you were doing, you had to trust your hand motion while looking at the computer screen the entire time...it...sucked. However, I would like to try using it, can't be that much harder than designing your own pro designs in Animal Crossing.

Yup...doing sprite work in Animal Crossing New Leaf is obnoxiously tedious...

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

drew this. don't like shading when everything's one shade. it sucks.

also, K Rool took literally 10 seconds, but Ridley took 15....minutes.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I used to draw on a tablet that didn't have a built-in screen to see what you were doing, you had to trust your hand motion while looking at the computer screen the entire time...it...sucked. However, I would like to try using it, can't be that much harder than designing your own pro designs in Animal Crossing.

Yup...doing sprite work in Animal Crossing New Leaf is obnoxiously tedious...
This is amazing xD I got the metroid from like my second fortune cookie. It was a quote about brains and my heart skipped a beat xD

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Well this is certainly interesting...

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/197055...t_have_time_to_bring_all_characters_back.html

This is certainly something to think about, and with Mewtwo being considered (Why he isn't confirmed I don't know) I think it's clear that the big icons of series' are the big concern as of now. Does anyone think this article affects Ridley at all?

I think Kraid would be a better boss. He could even move around his boss stage like he did in the Brinstar Depths in Melee, that'd be interesting.
Sakurai is not aloud to come out and straight up say ''yes we put ______ in the game''

If someone interviewed Sakurai on June 10th and asked him
''Megaman is extremely requested do you think we would see him in Sm4sh?''

He would have said ''Im thinking about it''

Bottom line that im tryna make here is he wont ever confirm or announce a cut char in a interview.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

I think the concept works, but maybe it needs a bit more tweaking. Raising the ...ribs, mostly.

But a maid dress with Ridley colors always works.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
I have been a Ridley supporter for a long time, but I'm curious what makes some of you (namely the OP) so confident he'll get in. He has already been overlooked twice. Also I lost the source for this, but Sakurai said something about how he considers what a new character has to offer, and what new things they bring to the table (paraphrasing) when deciding which characters to include. Do you think Sakurai would agree that Ridley falls into this category of bringing something new to smash?

bobadz

Smash Ace
Sakurai has NoA staff browsing smashboards. I know it! So he knows Ridley is heavily requested.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I have been a Ridley supporter for a long time, but I'm curious what makes some of you (namely the OP) so confident he'll get in. He has already been overlooked twice. Also I lost the source for this, but Sakurai said something about how he considers what a new character has to offer, and what new things they bring to the table (paraphrasing) when deciding which characters to include. Do you think Sakurai would agree that Ridley falls into this category of bringing something new to smash?

Well I myself ain't necessarily confident. But I am pretty optimistic. The recent interview you are talking about that refers to the different things Sakurai considers regarding characters and their roster potential did get me thinking a bit.

I say Ridley definitely can be a pretty unique addition to the cast. On the one hand, we have had Bowser, a fire-breathing dragon-turtle lizard-like creature, and we've had Charizard, a fire-breathing dragon-like lizard creature with wings. On the other hand though, both of these characters have come from the lighter side of Nintendo. Ridley on the other hand brings a much darker, ferocious, and brutal element by nature.

It's that very nature that would make Ridley stand out from the rest of the cast. The darkest character that has been on the roster is Ganondorf, and he's completely humanoid. Ridley is that dark character in creature form: A flying alien that's unquestionably a dragon.

Now Ridley does also share with Bowser and Charizard the ability to exhale fire. However, Ridley is known for spewing volleys of fireballs in his game while Bowser and Charizard are mostly recognized for exhaling streams of flame (though Bowser in his games does a bit of both). I think this is already acknowledged by Smash as Brawl Meta-Ridley shot flame projectiles instead of streams (I found it strange that Ridley didn't shoot a single fireball...). Outside of that, Ridley's other specialty is his tail. This is something Bowser doesn't do but Charizard does, albeit with only three attacks. Ridley's tail on the other hand is practically a weapon in itself. Focusing on tail attacks would not only be accurate for Ridley, but would further cement his uniqueness.

I don't think I have to say how Ridley complements. He's Samus's arch-nemesis and the leader behind the scourge of the galaxy. And in terms of contrast, again Ridley is a lot more vicious than most of the cast, and his look actually reflects this.

So yeah, Ridley can definitely bring something new and unique to Smash. At the least it can't be worse than having three sword users or three Star Fox representatives that all share exact or similar attacks with only minor variations here and there.

However it's not all good. Ridley's one obstacle from being a shoe-in is actually a doozy: Practical Aesthetics. Unfortunately, part of the issue really can fall under "Ridley is too big". A scaled size will likely always be controversial. However, in terms of practical aesthetics, Ridley has proportion issues that need to be carefully addressed from many angles.

There are least three stances Ridley can assume as a fighter: Bipedal stance, Quadrupedal stance, and Hovering stance. The easiest one is definitely Hovering stance. However, this has the side effect of increases Ridley's vertical height. If his vertical height increases, he quickly exceeds Bowser's and possibly Ganondorf's height. To compensate, Ridley's size has to be scaled down a tad. We've seen what this looks like from a particular Brawl Ridley hack. Ridley should not be at Samus's height while in a relaxed posture. We talk about becoming accustomed to a differently sized Ridley, but this would be a bit too extreme.

So then we got Bipedal stance. This allows Ridley to be a bit larger. This stance is a bit more awkward to engage in combat with. It's also a tad ugly, although it's a position Bowser has sort of assumed for the previous two Smash games. Another possible issue though is that it may resemble Charizard a bit too much. Ridley can still show off unique attacks to differentiate himself. As for dashing, Ridley has been shown to go into a hover flight. This has to be handled more carefully, referring to a Brawl Ridley hack again. This hack had Ridley greatly extended as he dash. I would have suggested Ridley's posture remained similar to standing, allowing his wings to carry him without having to stretch his body out.

Finally there's the Quadrupedal stance. This allows Ridley to be larger than the other two stances. Fortunately, it's also no longer unusual for Ridley to fight in this stance, so the potential still exist. Unfortunately, this stance is also the hardest to work with. Neutral, walking, and dashing cannot be the only stances to consider. There's turning around, sidestepping, forward and back rolling, shielding, getting struck, getting knocked down, tripping, getting back up...
The same can be applied to the other two primary stances, but they have the advantage of a familiar and flexible posture. I suppose there is Ivysaur to look at, it being the very first quadrupedal smash fighter. However, Ivysaur is stocky and stubby while Ridley is lanky and extremely defined.

Despite these concerns, I do think Ridley can be made to work. It's not a matter of whether or not it can be done. It's a matter of how much time and work is Sakurai willing to expend in order to make Ridley in the game. Is he ready to give the Ridley fans what they truly desire, or has he resided to making Ridley a bystander once again?

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I don't know what you're trying to prove, but that size is fine...all they need to do is shrink his wing span and head and he's fine.

Size chart. Shows people that Ridley looks fine shrunk and that he can still be larger than everyone else and still be under the platforms mostly. Ganondorf phased through them, so could ridley. This was made during the long wait for this game to be announced. It was made to prove that Ridley is not to big.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Sakurai has NoA staff browsing smashboards. I know it! So he knows Ridley is heavily requested.
I don't think he needs to have NoA staff browsing Smashboards to know that Ridley is heavily requested. He's been heavily requested since Brawl, but it got even more heavy since Brawl's release. The least he can give us is a "We're thinking about it" like he did with Mewtwo, which is the closest thing to a yes we're going to get for a while. :urg:

Size chart. Shows people that Ridley looks fine shrunk and that he can still be larger than everyone else and still be under the platforms mostly. Ganondorf phased through them, so could ridley. This was made during the long wait for this game to be announced. It was made to prove that Ridley is not to big.
Ah, I see. Well, all the custom designs and mods I see of Ridley make his wings and head a little too big to the rest of his body. If that's fixed, he would look perfect.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Ah, I see. Well, all the custom designs and mods I see of Ridley make his wings and head a little too big to the rest of his body. If that's fixed, he would look perfect.

A little less about the head and more about the wings. Ridley's wings in Brawl are actually oversized compared to the typical Ridley design in the main games. They closer match Meta-Ridley's impressive wingspan.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
A little less about the head and more about the wings. Ridley's wings in Brawl are actually oversized compared to the typical Ridley design in the main games. They closer match Meta-Ridley's impressive wingspan.

My chart was made before all the hacking was possible. So, it was using as Boss Ridley image I cut out.
Wings could be smaller.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
"Ha, so you admit Ridley would look weird and they'd have to change his design just to make him fit!"

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
"Ha, so you admit Ridley would look weird and they'd have to change his design just to make him fit!"

Is this to me? If so, I would say that they changed Ridley's design for Brawl. His wings are not supposed to be that big in his normal form. So a change for a change is ok.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Yeah, that's definitely true, but his wings shouldn't be...er...puny. Also, since it's also probably going to be the Other M design of Ridley, his wings should be pretty well-sized compared to his body, and if they're going to make him have big wings, they should make them folded up for the most part.

This, sped up, could act as a dash while he walks on his hind legs for a normal walk.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that's definitely true, but his wings shouldn't be...er...puny. Also, since it's also probably going to be the Other M design of Ridley, his wings should be pretty well-sized compared to his body, and if they're going to make him have big wings, they should make them folded up for the most part.

This, sped up, could act as a dash while he walks on his hind legs for a normal walk.
I prefer that as his walk, and his dash being flight very low to the ground, almost to the extent of a crouch, though with the downside of stretching his length out even more. A (hunched) bipedal posture seems most natural as his idle to me.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
"You can't change his design! It never changes. It would be an insult to Ridley to change anything. You will probably make him cry. Ridley himself is going to buy the game and wonder "gosh, do they thing my wings are that puny..." He'll be at the therapist for weeks and it will all be your fault. He hasn't been in a game for a while, do you think he's going to be able to pay for those bills? YOU THINK YOU CAN PAY BILLS WITH A NINTENDO LAND APPEARANCE?!"

I'm sorry I got a little carried away there, but I'm sure that's pretty close to how detractors think.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
GAAH!! I didn't scroll all the way down when reading drag0nscythe's post, so the second time I scroll down I suddenly see THAT moving about! @_@

I commented about that on GameFAQs. It's a decent example of Ridley in quadruped posture, but the forearm animation is a bit exaggerated. Ridley's claws and elbows don't need to go above head height with each and every step.

Also, as an idea, has anybody ever consider Ridley simply walking faster on all fours for his dash animation? Most people think of hovering like Charizard hovers, but I think a 4-legged run similar to an angry alligator would actually work just fine for Ridley.

EDIT - Guess somebody has thought of it... :p
But like I said, I'd have Ridley on all fours for walking AND dashing. Only go into flight when jumping.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I personally hope that Ridley is kind of some sort of mash up of designs between Other M and Super Metroid or something. The Other M design on its own is just...ugh.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I personally hope that Ridley is kind of some sort of mash up of designs between Other M and Super Metroid or something. The Other M design on its own is just...ugh.
It is off in ways. I agree with this notion. They also need to through some of the MP3:C design of Dark Ridley in there also. That was a good form.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It is off in ways. I agree with this notion. They also need to through some of the MP3:C design of Dark Ridley in there also. That was a good form.
Do you mean Omega Ridley or Meta-Ridley?

Dark Ridley doesn't exist.

At least yet. :troll:

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
This thing is old, but

Chibi-Ridley looks pretty silly, especially with that anatomically impossible posture. Ridley isn't the upright-standing type. His knees have to be bent to support his weight when bipedal.

Ridley should squat bipedally while not moving and use the quad MOM animation for running.

By the way, we still need an updated size comparison with upright-Bowser.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think Ridley is actually too SMALL to be in smash.

After all he's naked by has nothing dangling

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
That's called a T-Pose. In animation, you model and rig characters in a T-Pose to start off with and then set the bone controls to the posture you want from there. You don't see a T-Pose in-game.

Top Bottom