• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Dark=/=Horror. Majora's Mask is dark. I wouldn't consider that horror. I honestly can't see how you think Metroid is a horror series. Only the Prime games had "scary" stuff in them and even then it was one time in each game.

Ridley is an important part of Nintendo history as well. That's why he's in EVERY smash bros game somehow. Ganon and Bowser can't say that.

Ridley should be the final boss at one point. But that doesn't really change my point. Imagine a Ridley final boss on top of some sort of tower. Sounds like it would be fun!

Ganondorf/Ganon does not actually appear in the Zelda series all that much. He's absent in about half of them. Ridley has appeared in the majority of Metroid games.

Zero Mission technically retconned the original story so....I'll just take off the original instead.

If by being in every smash Bros game you mean lingering in the background somewhere or being seen briefly? Bowser and Ganon have been playable have been playable in the last 2, and Bowser is playable in the 3rd. Ridley's greatest feats were of him being a boss in subspace, which seems to be his greatest quality.

I respect Ridley too, and he should have been a Final Boss, but how much is even left of this guy? I mean every game incarnation he's just more and more jacked up, it's like fighting the terminator. But in some games he appears normal without the armor, which is one thing that kills me; the inconsistency of his appearance. Is he half machine, organic, all machine or what?

I have nothing against Ridley, he just has some obstacles going against him as far as him being a functioning playable character. And even if they did re size him, I really wouldn't want them too. It would look like you're fighting against a purple mosquito.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yo check this out you guys its pretty intresting i dunno if you lot have already seen it. Defo worth a read.

http://nintendoeverything.com/12583...on-is-stressful-almost-to-the-brink-of-death/
Good read, but man poor Sakurai. No need to stress and struggle so much, you just need to add Ridley and call it a day!

(and K. Rool too.)

I respect Ridley too, and he should have been a Final Boss, but how much is even left of this guy? I mean every game incarnation he's just more and more jacked up, it's like fighting the terminator. But in some games he appears normal without the armor, which is one thing that kills me; the inconsistency of his appearance. Is he half machine, organic, all machine or what?
When Ridley first dies in Metroid: Zero Mission, he becomes Meta Ridley in Prime. When he then dies there he becomes even more mechanized in Prime 3, and when he then gets defeated there he becomes Phazon infused as Omega Ridley. The reason he is normal again in Super Metroid is because Phazon is known to have healing effects as well as destructive effects, and since Phaaze and all Phazon is destroyed by the end of Prime 3, it's possible that Ridley was able to heal himself with it and then be rid of it again. Plus, the manga states that he can heal his flesh by eating creatures, which might also have helped the healing between Prime 3 and Super Metroid.

Super Metroid is the death of the original Ridley, the rest of the Ridleys are clones (Neo-Ridley being a clone of a clone) which explains why they aren't mechanized. And don't mind the explosions by the end of every battle, it's tradition that every Metroid boss needs to explode (except Crocomire,) it's just to be flashy.

Edit: Damn double post.

When Ridley first dies in Metroid: Zero Mission, he becomes Meta Ridley in Prime. When he then dies there he becomes even more mechanized in Prime 3, and when he then gets defeated there he becomes Phazon infused as Omega Ridley. The reason he is normal again in Super Metroid is because Phazon is known to have healing effects as well as destructive effects, and since Phaaze and all Phazon is destroyed by the end of Prime 3, it's possible that Ridley was able to heal himself with it and then be rid of it again. Plus, the manga states that he can heal his flesh by eating creatures, which might also have helped the healing between Prime 3 and Super Metroid.

Super Metroid is the death of the original Ridley, the rest of the Ridleys are clones (Neo-Ridley being a clone of a clone) which explains why they aren't mechanized. And don't mind the explosions by the end of every battle, it's tradition that every Metroid boss needs to explode (except Crocomire,) it's just to be flashy.

Edit: Damn double post.

Ooooh ok. Makes sense now. The Metroid plot is a bit of a mess, same goes for a lot of games since the introduction of "Prequels".

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ooooh ok. Makes sense now. The Metroid plot is a bit of a mess, same goes for a lot of games since the introduction of "Prequels".
Yeah, one prequel should have been enough. Now there's been 4 prequels since the story last progressed with Fusion, I'm still waiting for a continuation of the story, it's been 12 bloody years since it last moved an inch.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
If Other M had done better than it did I think a Fusion sequel would've been more likely in the future, but as it is, meh. And with what was posted earlier I can perhaps expect to see more MPH kind of stuff again...

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=205079

If they go that route again I guess it'll be out of desperation or because of running out of other ideas for the series at this point (they may have already to an extent when they ran out of Alien movies to be inspired off of :\).

Still, would never hurt to continue expanding the Metroidverse regardless of how they go about it.

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
What would Ridley's FS be like?
If Sakurai had all the time in the world to develop it, I'd like it to initiate by reenacting the MOM scene where he instills fear into his opponent, turning them visually into a stunned child. (Baby Mario, Pichu, Young Link, etc.)

That would be quite a bit more work, though. Ridley vs. Ridley would be pretty funny with Little Birdie. A dozen or so Brawl characters don't have an obvious youth analog, though.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
If Sakurai had all the time in the world to develop it, I'd like it to initiate by reenacting the MOM scene where he instills fear into his opponent, turning them visually into a stunned child. (Baby Mario, Pichu, Young Link, etc.)

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I've always thought a Metroid Prime Hunters sequel would be a great idea. Smart to do plotwise to, if you know the ending of Metroid Prime 3.
Don't have nothin against an MPH sequel, just it wasn't something at the top of my wishlist for the series like a Metroid V, but it seems like that may be prioritized now, so whatever.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Yo, I love Metroid, but I feel like Ridley isn't gonna make it. Not that it isn't possible to re-design him, not his size or any move potential.

It's just that he's scary as ****. He's a big *** scary demon-dragon from space. Nearly every incarnation of him is terrifying. I just feel like kids wouldn't want to fight against something that's so savage. I mean, you can compare Bowser, but he has a cartoon feel and he's soft looking; Very G rated as far as a villain goes. Then again at the same time kids play Call of Duty, but I don't think any developer encourages that.

I love Metroid, I really really do, but i'm just not feeling this dude. Also, why do we need another Metroid rep really? Samus is the only important character. The second most in my opinion would be the Metroid in Super Metroid. That really got to me.
your opnion was going fine untill your last paragraph...its not wise to talk like that here...they are beasts in this thread that make Ridley look like plush doll such freaks as Golden/Oasis/ChronoBound & JohnKnight sort of....RealTalk.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If Other M had done better than it did I think a Fusion sequel would've been more likely in the future, but as it is, meh. And with what was posted earlier I can perhaps expect to see more MPH kind of stuff again...

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=205079

If they go that route again I guess it'll be out of desperation or because of running out of other ideas for the series at this point (they may have already to an extent when they ran out of Alien movies to be inspired off of :\).

Still, would never hurt to continue expanding the Metroidverse regardless of how they go about it.
I really just want a classic sidescroller. I don't really care much about "expanding the universe" and such, I've been dying to get another classic sidescroller which is nothing more than "Get mission. Go to planet. Blow stuff up. Throw off your clothes." Going back to the basics, like Kirby and Mario have done.

Prime 3's concept of going to different planets didn't work out for me, and I never found the other Hunters in MPH to be very cool or interesting. This whole "expanding" and "story" stuff doesn't do it in Metroid imo, it's best when kept simple imo.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
your opnion was going fine untill your last paragraph...its not wise to talk like that here...theare beasts in this thread that make Ridley look like plush doll such freaks as Golden/Oasis/ChronoBound & JohnKnight sort of....RealTalk.
I just said how lazy I am, don't hype me up, lol.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
You know when people say Ridley in SM is the only real Ridley...i dont really get that...i mean i know Fusion and Other M Ridley are clones but how are Meta & Omega clones?

Isnt it ofc just Ridley healing/repairing him self with Phazon/Metal....?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
You know when people say Ridley in SM is the only real Ridley...i dont really get that...i mean i know Fusion and Other M Ridley are clones but how are Meta & Omega clones?

Isnt it ofc just Ridley healing/repairing him self with Phazon/Metal....?
Neo-Ridley (Fusion) and Other M Ridley are the only ones that are clones. Every other Ridley battle is with the same Ridley that killed Samus' parents.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
For those who say Ridley is too scary, may I just remind people that the same guy who's making Smash 4 is responsible for the following:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120908195825/villains/images/f/fc/Giga_Bowser.jpg

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080307032906/kirby/en/images/5/56/Zero-Two02.JPG

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080806154719/kirby/en/images/2/2f/Darkmatter.jpg

More than being familiar with making dark, creepy, and even scary characters, I think Sakurai knows how to use them effectively to make the gaming experience all the more engaging. So if anything, Ridley being such a visually intimidating creature only serves to bring more flavors to the roster.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Watch Zero's eyeball splat out from the bloody hole of Zero's corpse in Kirby's Dreamland 3. Kirby is 10 times more violent than Ridley :p

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Neo-Ridley (Fusion) and Other M Ridley are the only ones that are clones. Every other Ridley battle is with the same Ridley that killed Samus' parents.
Yeah so i was right! Thanks man.

Anyway to all the PeePz that say Ridley is ''Too'' Scary i agree to an extent his other M carnation is a bit on the Resident Evil side...but all chars are re designed for Smash they are not 100/ ripped out of there canon games i agree though Brawl's Ridley is no problem at all hell the PeePz at Namco already done a wonderfull! Job with the artwork & design every char looks as good as they do in there most recent own games. Sakurai is a genius Other M style Samus is in Sm4sh and i have know doubt they could tweak other m Ridley to fit in aswell.

Lets not elavate this Ridley is too Scary now...god...we already got to BiG still going on...whats next? Ridley is too Pregnant for Sm4sh? (-_-)

All this controversy has exceeded the popularity & Reputation factor of why i want Ridley in Sm4sh.

I used to see him as Neck and Neck with K.Rool & Mewtwo about how much i want him in but now hes clearly my #1 choice because of all this Bull* Now aint that some ****....

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It's kind of flattering that Ridley is put on a higher pedestal than any other character by his detractors. He's apparently just TOO COOL for Smash.

Being playable just wouldn't do him justice. No, every Smash 4 copy will come bundled with a genetically engineered Little Birdie, which incidentally will have caused the game to be delayed several years as Nintendo needed the time to invest billions into research and technology, just for Ridley. As expected, you care for the Little Birdie as it grows, eventually reaching his ULTIMATE FORM to eat your parents. Only then will players truly experience the majesty of Ridley's existence. Only then will players appreciate the terror of his character. But all the Ridley detractors understand the necessity of it all. The planet is overtaken within days of Smash 4's launch.

...The year is 2112. The planet has been overtaken by evil forces...​
YOU ARE​
MACH RIDER!

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
It's kind of flattering that Ridley is put on a higher pedestal than any other character by his detractors. He's apparently just TOO COOL for Smash.

Being playable just wouldn't do him justice. No, every Smash 4 copy will come bundled with a genetically engineered Little Birdie, which incidentally will have caused the game to be delayed several years as Nintendo needed the time to invest billions into research and technology, just for Ridley. As expected, you care for the Little Birdie as it grows, eventually reaching his ULTIMATE FORM to eat your parents. Only then will players truly experience the majesty of Ridley's existence. Only then will players appreciate the terror of his character. But all the Ridley detractors understand the necessity of it all. The planet is overtaken within days of Smash 4's launch.

...The year is 2112. The planet has been overtaken by evil forces...​
YOU ARE​
MACH RIDER!
**** me!! You really know how to throw a Ridley Party RealTalk!.

List of reasons why Ridley is too good for Sm4sh.

Too Cool
Too BiG :)
Too Scary
Too Epic
Too Sexy
Too Awkward
Too Ridley ! XD

Ridley > Sakurai

LMFAOOO RealTalk.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Hey guys! I find it very strange, I've never posted in this thread, but Ridley is my #2 favorite and wanted newcomer, and I support him fully.

His position as number #1 had been slowly supplanted by Anna.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
What's even the point of these arguments about most characters? Everyone brings up the same points and no one changes their mind.
My views have changed. I used to be naive, and believed Ridley's proportions were correct for videogames. I now realize how much of a predominate issue his size is.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
I look deep inside my self and I realize that many of the most popular/likely newcomer ideas I've seen just flat out don't seem that interesting to me. But one of the main ones that I really want to see (other than mewtwo returning) is my giant dragon friend Ridley. So yeah, frankly I find Ridley a bit hard to imagine shrunk down to a reasonable playable character size but I have faith that if Sakurai and the team want to make it happen for everyone then they're going to MAKE IT HAPPEN and it will WORK

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I look deep inside my self and I realize that many of the most popular/likely newcomer ideas I've seen just flat out don't seem that interesting to me. But one of the main ones that I really want to see (other than mewtwo returning) is my giant dragon friend Ridley. So yeah, frankly I find Ridley a bit hard to imagine shrunk down to a reasonable playable character size but I have faith that if Sakurai and the team want to make it happen for everyone then godamnit they're going to MAKE IT HAPPEN and it will WORK
I see alot of people say something like that. The "I can't imagine him being shrunken down" line. I'm sure if it's done, people will quickly adjust to it as time goes on, it won't seem so odd once it's done properly, which Sakurai can easily do as he's said before. However, Go Ridley, and props to you supporting Mewtwo as well, those two are my big two choices for Smash 4.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Shrinking him down is pretty easy. Just shrink him until he's bigger than most of the other characters (somewhere along Bowser's size I suppose), but not too big to work in the rest of the game. That's it. You're done.

Yes, there's some fiddling with his posture and model to try to convey a greater sense of size, but it's really not that big of a deal to do. Even if he ends up being much smaller than most of his appearances, it's not that big of a deal. The Ridley in the intro movie for Melee shows a model of Ridley that would work, for example. And there are probably a number of other variations that would work as well. What's the justification? The justification is that we/Sakurai wanted him to be playable, that's it. You don't need a canon justification, just like you don't need a justification for why Snake's grenades don't blow Ness's legs off and Injustice: Gods Among Us doesn't need a justification for why characters without superpowers can harm Superman, etc. etc.

Anyway, the biggest troll move Sakurai could pull is to put baby Ridley from The Other M in and justify it by saying adult Ridley is too big, and also he goes with Samus's new Other M look.

Steelia

Smash Champion
So while I think some of Ridley's character is based on his ever-growing size, and making him smaller would diminish that part of his character... a part of me wants to see him in because he's just an awesome villain, a staple to the Metroid franchise as Bowser is to Mario, and a unique individual that is as intelligent as he looks insane.
...And the other part of me just wants to see the butthurt over "But Ridley's too big they've ruined him!".
But mostly the former.

Good luck, you crazy space pirate dragon.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Ridley has always been one of the smaller Metroid bosses, so I dunno where people get the idea that his size is an important part of his character.

I think Prime 3 was the first game where he was comparatively one of the largest bosses, and I'm pretty sure Prime 3 was shown at the same time Brawl was. The first Ridley fight was among the first footage shown, which had Ridley grabbing Samus in his hand, and her firing into his mouth, so I'm guessing that's probably when the offhand comment of "too big" began to perpetuate.

I'm confident many of the "too big" crowd never reached that conclusion themselves, it's just an idea that's reached such a memetic level that many people will buy into it without a thought.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Ganondorf . . . slow
Ooooh, if this wasn't the Ridley thread...

But since this IS the Ridley thread, I was wondering... if he DOES make it in, obviously people would want a reveal sooner rather than later. But what if he's never revealed? Sure, everyone would be dissapointed/bummed out/rage, but think of how great it would be when he shows up later while playing. It might actually be better for us in the end.

Of course it does little to help sell the game like that...

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Ridley has always been one of the smaller Metroid bosses, so I dunno where people get the idea that his size is an important part of his character.

I think Prime 3 was the first game where he was comparatively one of the largest bosses, and I'm pretty sure Prime 3 was shown at the same time Brawl was. The first Ridley fight was among the first footage shown, which had Ridley grabbing Samus in his hand, and her firing into his mouth, so I'm guessing that's probably when the offhand comment of "too big" began to perpetuate.

I'm confident many of the "too big" crowd never reached that conclusion themselves, it's just an idea that's reached such a memetic level that many people will buy into it without a thought.
God, yes, in prime 1, those bosses were like skyscrapers, so ridiculously intimidating. Ridley was scary because he was smaller than most bosses, so harder to hit (you could lock on so not really) and moved around faster.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Given that the Yellow Devil is in Smash in some way shape or form. I assume that Ridley will take up that position also. IE he will probably be a boss again.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Given that the Yellow Devil is in Smash in some way shape or form. I assume that Ridley will take up that position also. IE he will probably be a boss again.
The Yellow Devil appearing in SSB4 doesn't imply that Ridley will be a boss too.

Top Bottom