• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Man, that Ridley. My hype for him's actually more intense for Smash 4 than it was before Brawl. :p Not sure why.
My hype is equal to pre-Brawl concerning Ridley. If I was more hyped and hopeful for him my head would probably explode.

Vaztor

BRoomer
BRoomer
If Ridley gets in, I wonder if Vaztor will humble himself or deny that he he gave the fan base so much pain ever since the pre-Brawl days.

Hey man, the truth hurts ;)

But yes if he gets in, I've said multiple times I will humble myself, apologize, and open myself up to public shaming.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
How have I not joined this site yet after following it for almost two years?! Anyways, I must say, I'm incredibly anticipating Ridley's reveal sometime in the near future. I'm sure with a bigger team behind Sakurai and Sakurai having stated he knows how to make Ridley work as a functioning Smash character, we'll probably see the powerful space pirate lord, probably as one of the last revealed characters to increase the hype level around the release of the title.

I also designed a Video depicting how I think Ridley could function as a playable Smash character while staying true to his style in the Metroid series:

Glad to be a part of this site, and here's to hoping the Leader of the Space Pirates makes an appearance in this coming game.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
How have I not joined this site yet after following it for almost two years?! Anyways, I must say, I'm incredibly anticipating Ridley's reveal sometime in the near future. I'm sure with a bigger team behind Sakurai and Sakurai having stated he knows how to make Ridley work as a functioning Smash character, we'll probably see the powerful space pirate lord, probably as one of the last revealed characters to increase the hype level around the release of the title.

I also designed a Video depicting how I think Ridley could function as a playable Smash character while staying true to his style in the Metroid series:

Glad to be a part of this site, and here's to hoping the Leader of the Space Pirates makes an appearance in this coming game.
It Warms my heart seeing more and more Space Pirates join day by day to Support there Leader.

D

Deleted member

Hey man, the truth hurts ;)

But yes if he gets in, I've said multiple times I will humble myself, apologize, and open myself up to public shaming.
Considering that I've always had a much better feeling on Ridley than Mega Man, I'm not worried.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
I'm starting to feel sorry for Samus because It's unbelievable how the Metroid series haven't had a second representation yet. It's really not fair and I'm not even a fan of the series.

Even the Mother series has two reps.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
I'm starting to feel sorry for Samus because It's unbelievable how the Metroid series haven't had a second representation yet. It's really not fair and I'm not even a fan of the series.

I don't even count ZSS as a second rep because a) she doesn't have her own icon on the select screen, and b) it's just Samus without the armor.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
F-Zero is still much smaller than Metroid, and not very alive anymore. IMO, the Metroid representation is a lot worse than F-Zero.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
(looks at falcon, solo since 64, not even a transformation like samus) QQ

You're right, Falcon should have a Final Smash that makes him rip out of his clothing and become a new character!
(to be fair, there've been a lot more Metroid games and the last F Zero game was almost 10 years ago)

Huh, now that you mention it, support for other F Zero characters has been wayyyy lower than it was during Brawl. Samurai Goroh was one of those characters that some (delusionally hopeful) people were sure would get in. Weird, wonder why that excitement died.

I also don't really think of ZSS as another Metroid rep... not only is she the same character that occupies the same character slot, most of her moves aren't even derived from things that she actually could do in the game. If they wanted a whip user so badly, they should've brought in a Castlevania character. And if they wanted another Metroid rep... sigh. They coulda picked someone better. Someone bigger. Someone more Ridley-like...

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
You're right, Falcon should have a Final Smash that makes him rip out of his clothing and become a new character!
(to be fair, there've been a lot more Metroid games and the last F Zero game was almost 10 years ago)

Huh, now that you mention it, support for other F Zero characters has been wayyyy lower than it was during Brawl. Samurai Goroh was one of those characters that some (delusionally hopeful) people were sure would get in. Weird, wonder why that excitement died.

I also don't really think of ZSS as another Metroid rep... not only is she the same character that occupies the same character slot, most of her moves aren't even derived from things that she actually could do in the game. If they wanted a whip user so badly, they should've brought in a Castlevania character. And if they wanted another Metroid rep... sigh. They coulda picked someone better. Someone bigger. Someone more Ridley-like...
When ZSS got reveal Live at E3 in the Brawl trailer there was complete silence not even one cheer.....ZSS to me was a kick in the teeth (a tease)

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529

Well, I think it's somewhat understandable when you look at the kind of game Metroid is. It's a game based around isolation, you're the only one out there fighting all these weird and powerful creatures, so it's not entirely unbelievable that they've stuck with just Samus for so long. That being said, I say that that's gone on for long enough. Metroid, of all the main series' of Smash Bros, is the one series I believe is truly deserving a new rep, and nobody can do it better than Ridley can. Seriously, anyone else would just be a huge smack in the face and you might as well leave Samus on her own.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Well, I think it's somewhat understandable when you look at the kind of game Metroid is. It's a game based around isolation, you're the only one out there fighting all these weird and powerful creatures, so it's not entirely unbelievable that they've stuck with just Samus for so long. That being said, I say that that's gone on for long enough. Metroid, of all the main series' of Smash Bros, is the one series I believe is truly deserving a new rep, and nobody can do it better than Ridley can. Seriously, anyone else would just be a huge smack in the face and you might as well leave Samus on her own.
Dark Samus should have atleasttt got in with or over ZSS in Brawl.....

& Yh i understand what you mean about Metroid no one else Apart from Ridley is popular or important enough from Metroid to be in Smash well Mother Brain..but yh...we would have had Ridley in Before it got to that...this is my biggest concern with Ridley...is that this is how Sakurai see's Ridley and further expressed his feelings by making him a Boss in Brawl...but then he acts suprised like it never crossed his mind and no one has ever mentioned it to him when he was Asked in that ibterview about Ridley being playable in Smash....

Im more concerned about that then the stupid too BiG argument...although that could be part of it...as in one of the reason Sakurai doesnt wanna do it...who knows...time will tell.....

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I don't even count ZSS as a second rep because a) she doesn't have her own icon on the select screen, and b) it's just Samus without the armor.
That's what I've always said, though some others (not so much on this site) have tried using "well she has a completely different moveset so she counts as a 2nd character, and Metroid doesn't need a 3rd rep like Ridley" as a counterpoint. :rolleyes:

Of course, that was also from some of the same group of fools who said Mewtwo will never come back because he's irrelevant before the new form unveil and whatnot.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Dark Samus should have atleasttt got in with or over ZSS in Brawl.....

& Yh i understand what you mean about Metroid no one else Apart from Ridley is popular or important enough from Metroid to be in Smash well Mother Brain..but yh...we would have had Ridley in Before it got to that...this is my biggest concern with Ridley...is that this is how Sakurai see's Ridley and further expressed his feelings by making him a Boss in Brawl...but then he acts suprised like it never crossed his mind and no one has ever mentioned it to him when he was Asked in that ibterview about Ridley being playable in Smash....

Im more concerned about that then the stupid too BiG argument...although that could be part of it...as in one of the reason Sakurai doesnt wanna do it...who knows...time will tell.....
That interview was a good number of years ago, I'm sure that Sakurai must have some different thoughts on Ridley's inclusion now. He's got a bigger team behind him, more powerful technology to work with, and has stated that he could have made it work if he gave it his best effort, although I do find that interview kind of insulting to Ridley fans, it just didn't seem professional for Sakurai to just outright laugh at the people who, like us, wanted Ridley playable. It's like Hideki Kamiya, the creator of Bayonetta, insulting and swearing at Smash Bros fans because they thought Bayonetta would be an interesting character for Smash 4, it's unprofessional and it turns off consumers from buying your product. Then again, I think he also did the same thing for fans wanting Bayonetta in Soul Calibur 5 as well.

Regardless, Ridley's chances seem quite high compared to Brawl, especially considering within the time-span of Brawl's development to now, he's had time to look over character suggestions, design characters he once thought to be impossible (AKA The Villager from Animal Crossing) and he's showing that it's not all about the fighting skill or the popularity, it's the diversity of the character and making characters people thought would never be playable...playable. And Ridley fits said criteria, some people always said he was too big (Bull****) so now's the chance to prove them wrong by including Ridley in Smash Bros 4. Not to mention I'm pretty sure Sakurai is fully aware that Ridley was one of, if not the most, least well-received bosses in Brawl, especially since most wanted him playable. Sakurai knows what he has to do to get parts of the Nintendo fan demographic interested in this all-star title, and that's by including the last actual Nintendo all-star that hasn't been featured playable yet in the franchise...Ridley. I'd also say bring back Mewtwo, but that's probably going to happen, so I won't go into more details on that.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
That's what I've always said, though some others (not so much on this site) have tried using "well she has a completely different moveset so she counts as a 2nd character, and Metroid doesn't need a 3rd rep like Ridley" as a counterpoint. :rolleyes:

Of course, that was also from some of the same group of fools who said Mewtwo will never come back because he's irrelevant before the new form unveil and whatnot.
From the design perspective, yeah, she's a full separate character. From the player perspective, no, she is not another rep, it is still samus.

I understand why Fzero has no more reps... but i also wish for new fzero games so xD just hits all around.

You're right, Falcon should have a Final Smash that makes him rip out of his clothing and become a new character!.
I would be ok with this. Naked Falcon, similar to naked snake, I think.

Even so, I'm a bigger fan of Metroid than Fzero, and they HAVE gotten games recently, with Ridley as a central villain, and only other real plausible character. If a different metroid gets in I'd honestly be more confused than anything else, and if no metroid rep gets in then shame on sakurai.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Metroid is my favorite video game franchise of all-time, and I'm furious about it. It's not like the potential isn't there, because it sure is.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Metroid is my favorite video game franchise of all-time, and I'm furious about it. It's not like the potential isn't there, because it sure is.
I didn't care for Metroid until my uncle let me borrow Super Metroid for a week.

That Game made me a Metroid, Samus, and Ridley fan

Ridley22

Smash Ace
I really want another F-zero and Metroid rep. I think it would be a crime if Kid Icarus got a second rep before them. That series was all but forgotten before Brawl.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
People used to use that "isolation" thing as a counterpoint against Ridley. Kind of fails to capture that, while yes, Metroid is mostly about Samus all by her lonesome, it's not like she's just sitting around kicking a can all day. She's on her own fighting Space Pirates. Ridley himself is pretty central to Samus's character. The history and the what nots.

But whatever, that gets into a whole bunch of incredibly meaningless "representation" and "accuracy" arguments which Sakurai just doesn't have much time for anyhow.

...Also wow. Ridley22. I remember seeing that ..MAXIMAL IS IT? when I was a little kid in the toy isle.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I really want another F-zero and Metroid rep. I think it would be a crime if Kid Icarus got a second rep before them. That series was all but forgotten before Brawl.
I don't know why we're talking about F-Zero but I really don't think it deserves another rep.

It's a dormant series and was never thaaat big to begin with. Falcon just got in the first game because Sakurai was good friends with his creator and he wanted to give the prototype Dragon King moveset to someone.
Falcon had the perfect body frame and was a blank canvas in terms of moves (although it would have made sense to include the gun he always carries around!) so he got lucky.

D

Deleted member

I still don't see much Dragon King in Captain Falcon.

None of those screenshots seem to match Falcon, even in 64.
If anything, like how Fox was essentially an "Arwing as a humanoid fighter", I see Falcon as more a "F-Zero racer as a humanoid fighter".

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
If anthony Higgs or Young Samus get in over Ridley that would be the Biggest to BiG of a Bull* crap i have ever seen and would rage so hard all the mountains would crumble.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Ridley or Dark Samus.
I'd be happy if one of them were in the game.
Doesn't matter who.

Ridley22

Smash Ace
People used to use that "isolation" thing as a counterpoint against Ridley. Kind of fails to capture that, while yes, Metroid is mostly about Samus all by her lonesome, it's not like she's just sitting around kicking a can all day. She's on her own fighting Space Pirates. Ridley himself is pretty central to Samus's character. The history and the what nots.

But whatever, that gets into a whole bunch of incredibly meaningless "representation" and "accuracy" arguments which Sakurai just doesn't have much time for anyhow.

...Also wow. Ridley22. I remember seeing that ..MAXIMAL IS IT? when I was a little kid in the toy isle.
Yeah, it's from Beast Wars. My username for most other sites is from there.

Back to discussion, sorry. I feel like Sakurai isn't going to be revealing new things for a while still. I doubt Ridley will get revealed at all, for to me, he seems very likely to be an unlockable character.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I think PeePz are pretty Salty after the supposed cuts news and WTF & PeePz that dont respect Villager...also boy....if Pac-Man & Mii get in thats a whole load of more Table Salt on the open wounds expecially Mii.....Ridley & K.Rool & Mewtwo are the only chars who can fix it!

I already said PeePz didnt give a damn about ZSS in brawls trailer....RealTalk sort it out for **** sake.

EDIT: There is a new character poll Space Pirates invaid! And support your Leader! Vote Ridley or GTFO.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

Found this awesome picture! was actually surprised I came across this, and I thought, "hey, the guys at smashboards would LOVE this!" so then I posted it. story of my life.

EDIT: probably going to change my avatar to this if he gets confirmed anytime soon, DONUT STEEL. (lol)

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Found this awesome picture! was actually surprised I came across this, and I thought, "hey, the guys at smashboards would LOVE this!" so then I posted it. story of my life.

EDIT: probably going to change my avatar to this if he gets confirmed anytime soon, DONUT STEEL. (lol)
Best story i ever heard!

Top Bottom