• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I used to be able to draw like that, but then I stopped taking art class, and now I sorta stink again. maybe next semester I would be able to compete, lol.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I used to be able to draw like that, but then I stopped taking art class, and now I sorta stink again. maybe next semester I would be able to compete, lol.
Sounds like a lot of my friends, all used to be good drawers when they were younger but just lost their touch as the years went on. I guess it's only because of the career I'm aiming to get into that I even still continue to practice drawing. Also, I may want to add that...well...I've never taken any major art classes, I'm mostly self-taught.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I've never taken any major art classes, I'm mostly self-taught.
...and that sounds like one of my friends! lol!
I can still draw now, i just struggle with details and porportions.

Yo check this out you guys its pretty intresting i dunno if you lot have already seen it. Defo worth a read.

http://nintendoeverything.com/12583...on-is-stressful-almost-to-the-brink-of-death/
that was a good read. do you think it affects ridley in any way? i do. it's a shame.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Yo check this out you guys its pretty intresting i dunno if you lot have already seen it. Defo worth a read.

http://nintendoeverything.com/12583...on-is-stressful-almost-to-the-brink-of-death/
Wow...I don't know what's more surprising, the fact that this increases Ridley's chances even more since his style of fighting would work well based on the questions Sakurai asks about the characters he includes, also that he actually looks at polls (Not sure if this includes polls from both sides of the world, but I'm sure Ridley's high on either side of the world) when selecting a character...or the fact that Capcom was actually very willing to let MegaMan into Smash Bros.

I've found you FeliciaFan444.
Allow me to take this second to say that you're a great artist.
Oh my God! Someone actually knows about my Youtube page! And thanks, I don't think I'm anything special, but it's always nice to know that others appreciate my work:)

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Oh my God! Someone actually knows about my Youtube page! And thanks, I don't think I'm anything special, but it's always nice to know that others appreciate my work:)
Yeah you found my avatar to irk you a bit.

It wasn't the nicest way to start a conversation.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Hate to be a party pooper but i dont want this thread to get locked so try keep the social chat abit low.....
Okay, I will. So...HOW ABOUT THAT RIDLEY?!

Although this was proven false a LONG time ago, I still think this kind of stance can work in Ridley's favor. I still have my faith in Ridley making the game in some playable form, hopefully as part of the main roster.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I wouldn't mind a Ridley designed after that "concept art," since even though it uses the Other M design, the bill looks far less flimsy and droopy than it did in the game and more like an actual dragon's snout.

D

Deleted member

Funny thing is that the little artwork is based off of Ridley's render from Other M:

•Col•

Smash Champion
Does anyone else not like his Other M incarnation?

I really don't like how beefy he is, and don't like the overall shape of his head... His Brawl look and Metroid Prime designs are my favorite by far.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Does anyone else not like his Other M incarnation?

I really don't like how beefy he is, and don't like the overall shape of his head... His Brawl look and Metroid Prime designs are my favorite by far.

Almost literally nobody in this thread likes his Other M incarnation. :p

He looks like a purple mosquito on steroids.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You get the fine distinction of being the "almost" of "almost literally nobody". :)

Do you like it more than his other designs?
I was just stating that I liked the design. :p

I like Brawl's design the most, though Other M is probably third for me. Second is Zero Mission.

Other M's is certainly better than Fusion's... Ugh....

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Fusion Ridley, which design was that... oh. Right.

Gotta be honest, I dislike Other M's design even more than his Fusion design... They both have silly looking heads, but Other M has an awkward body as well.

Yo, I love Metroid, but I feel like Ridley isn't gonna make it. Not that it isn't possible to re-design him, not his size or any move potential.

It's just that he's scary as ****. He's a big ass scary demon-dragon from space. Nearly every incarnation of him is terrifying. I just feel like kids wouldn't want to fight against something that's so savage. I mean, you can compare Bowser, but he has a cartoon feel and he's soft looking; Very G rated as far as a villain goes. Then again at the same time kids play Call of Duty, but I don't think any developer encourages that.

I love Metroid, I really really do, but i'm just not feeling this dude. Also, why do we need another Metroid rep really? Samus is the only important character. The second most in my opinion would be the Metroid in Super Metroid. That really got to me.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yo, I love Metroid, but I feel like Ridley isn't gonna make it. Not that it isn't possible to re-design him, not his size or any move potential.

It's just that he's scary as ****. He's a big *** scary demon-dragon from space. Nearly every incarnation of him is terrifying. I just feel like kids wouldn't want to fight against something that's so savage. I mean, you can compare Bowser, but he has a cartoon feel and he's soft looking; Very G rated as far as a villain goes. Then again at the same time kids play Call of Duty, but I don't think any developer encourages that.

I love Metroid, I really really do, but i'm just not feeling this dude. Also, why do we need another Metroid rep really? Samus is the only important character. The second most in my opinion would be the Metroid in Super Metroid. That really got to me.
If Ridley is fine as a boss, he's fine as a character. Scaryness is a terrible reason. Ganondorf is just as terrifying as Ridley.

Ridley is the main villain of the franchise and is responsible for the death of Samus' parents and several other plot points depending on the game. He is the second most important character in the franchise. Certainly more important than a one off character who died.

If Ridley is fine as a boss, he's fine as a character. Scaryness is a terrible reason. Ganondorf is just as terrifying as Ridley.

Ridley is the main villain of the franchise and is responsible for the death of Samus' parents and several other plot points depending on the game. He is the second most important character in the franchise. Certainly more important than a one off character who died.

I disagree, I really don't believe Ganondorf is nearly as terrifying as Ridley; he's basically just a big slow human.

I understand the plot, but many people really don't care or even know of them. Metroid is essentially focusing on Samus; its survival/horror, and the character is more of a reflection of you and your adventure. Honestly the only character other than Samus that was remotely interesting was the Metroid in Super Metroid, the second being the Computer in Metroid Fusion. Prime 3 in my opinion was reaching a bit.

The only thing Ridley has going for him is that he's pushing the "constant pain in the ass" angle. I'm really just fine with him being a boss really. Also, you really can't say the character isn't important, considering the game is names "Metroid".

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I disagree, I really don't believe Ganondorf is nearly as terrifying as Ridley; he's basically just a big slow human.

I understand the plot, but many people really don't care or even know of them. Metroid is essentially focusing on Samus; its survival/horror, and the character is more of a reflection of you and your adventure. Honestly the only character other than Samus that was remotely interesting was the Metroid in Super Metroid, the second being the Computer in Metroid Fusion. Prime 3 in my opinion was reaching a bit.

The only thing Ridley has going for him is that he's pushing the "constant pain in the ***" angle. I'm really just fine with him being a boss really. Also, you really can't say the character isn't important, considering the game is names "Metroid".
Ganondorf is a man who will do ANYTHING to achieve his goals. Including murder and pillaging. That's pretty scary!

Wait. Did you just call Metroid a survival/horror game? What are you on? Regardless, if you don't find a character interesting that's YOUR opinion. Not everyone else's.

I guess Icarus is a REAL important part of Kid Icarus huh? The title of the series doesn't really translate into important characters. It can but not always.

Metroids are important. THAT INDIVIDUAL Metroid is not all that important outside of Super. Sure it gets referenced in Fusion and Other M, but it's not really that important to the plot of those games. Meanwhile, Ridley is important to the plot of Metroid, Metroid Zero Mission, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 3, Super Metroid and Other M. That's a lot more than the Baby.

And if a "pain in the ass" is all Ridley has going for him then Bowser and Ganondorf are in the same boat.

The game's name is "Super Mario"

Why should Luigi or Bowser be important? :rolleyes:
Because the game is actually called "Super Mario Bros.", and his Brother is just as important since they are the Mario Bros.

Bowser is important because he's flexible and has been in many spin-off games. It's really hard to compare characters from arguably the most important game franchise of all time to something like Metroid.

Ganondorf is a man who will do ANYTHING to achieve his goals. Including murder and pillaging. That's pretty scary!

Wait. Did you just call Metroid a survival/horror game? What are you on? Regardless, if you don't find a character interesting that's YOUR opinion. Not everyone else's.

I guess Icarus is a REAL important part of Kid Icarus huh? The title of the series doesn't really translate into important characters. It can but not always.

Metroids are important. THAT INDIVIDUAL Metroid is not all that important outside of Super. Sure it gets referenced in Fusion and Other M, but it's not really that important to the plot of those games. Meanwhile, Ridley is important to the plot of Metroid, Metroid Zero Mission, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 3, Super Metroid and Other M. That's a lot more than the Baby.

And if a "pain in the ***" is all Ridley has going for him then Bowser and Ganondorf are in the same boat.
Yea man, Metroid is survival horror. Sure, it's not Resident Evil but the concepts are all still there. You're on a solo mission in deep space and encountering unforeseen elements, all accompanied by very ominous and dark themed music. I'm not on anything, man, i've played Metroid games isnce I was 8 years old, and there are definitely dark for a Nintendo game. I mean you said it yourself, the dude killed her parents when she was little, that's just dark in general.

And you really can't count Bowser, he's part of Nintendo's history in General. And if you put him in the category of Boss, he is always 'the' boss, same with Ganon (For the most part) Ganondorf on the other hand is part of some intricate plot in Zelda. He holds a piece of the triforce, same with Zelda. The thing about plots with these games is that you are comparing one plot that is graspable vs one that isn't. In almost every Zelda game it is mentioned that Ganondorf has either been sealed in time or has some role in the game, and they also state that he has some tie with the Triforce in some manner. In the Mario games it's always Bowser that's gonna get this ***** peach again. Your ultimate goal? Face them in the climax of the game and beat them. Same can be said for Ridley, but unfortunately he seems to be just another enemy that you'll face among the other bosses you will face through out the game. Hell you don't see Kraid in every Metroid game. If Ridley was such a big deal why is he never a final boss? He should be since this vendetta with Samus is so important.

I wouldn't count Zero mission, it's just a remake of the Original Metroid.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yea man, Metroid is survival horror. Sure, it's not Resident Evil but the concepts are all still there. You're on a solo mission in deep space and encountering unforeseen elements, all accompanied by very ominous and dark themed music. I'm not on anything, man, i've played Metroid games isnce I was 8 years old, and there are definitely dark for a Nintendo game. I mean you said it yourself, the dude killed her parents when she was little, that's just dark in general.

And you really can't count Bowser, he's part of Nintendo's history in General. And if you put him in the category of Boss, he is always 'the' boss, same with Ganon (For the most part) Ganondorf on the other hand is part of some intricate plot in Zelda. He holds a piece of the triforce, same with Zelda. The thing about plots with these games is that you are comparing one plot that is graspable vs one that isn't. In almost every Zelda game it is mentioned that Ganondorf has either been sealed in time or has some role in the game, and they also state that he has some tie with the Triforce in some manner. In the Mario games it's always Bowser that's gonna get this ***** peach again. Your ultimate goal? Face them in the climax of the game and beat them. Same can be said for Ridley, but unfortunately he seems to be just another enemy that you'll face among the other bosses you will face through out the game. Hell you don't see Kraid in every Metroid game. If Ridley was such a big deal why is he never a final boss? He should be since this vendetta with Samus is so important.

I wouldn't count Zero mission, it's just a remake of the Original Metroid.
Dark=/=Horror. Majora's Mask is dark. I wouldn't consider that horror. I honestly can't see how you think Metroid is a horror series. Only the Prime games had "scary" stuff in them and even then it was one time in each game.

Ridley is an important part of Nintendo history as well. That's why he's in EVERY smash bros game somehow. Ganon and Bowser can't say that.

Ridley should be the final boss at one point. But that doesn't really change my point. Imagine a Ridley final boss on top of some sort of tower. Sounds like it would be fun!

Ganondorf/Ganon does not actually appear in the Zelda series all that much. He's absent in about half of them. Ridley has appeared in the majority of Metroid games.

Zero Mission technically retconned the original story so....I'll just take off the original instead.

Ridley22

Smash Ace
What's even the point of these arguments about most characters? Everyone brings up the same points and no one changes their mind.

Top Bottom