• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

majora_787

Smash Hero
Just like how we all expected Diddy Kong in february. Or Dixie, I dont remember
It was both. Awkwardly I saw a lot more of the former. I spent the month being confused because people were angry about getting Little Mac instead of Diddy Kong at first. :troll: Like, wow you're upset because we got a new character instead of one most people knew would return anyway? Okay.

But such is the internet.

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
inb4 Cloud N. Candy is playable.
This would be one of the most RIDLEYdiculous things ever. I love it.:awesome:
Just out of curiosity, has there ever been a time where the majority of the community expected a certain character to be revealed at an event, and was right? I feel like every time the community places bets on who's going to be revealed in any event, the majority of people unanimously agree on one, safe, sound, logical character, and then Sakurai hits us with something right out of the left field :p I think mostly everyone is expecting Shulk on Monday, and so am I, but now I'm starting to doubt myself after looking at the past.
...Rosalina? I can't really remember if she fit that "unexpected character" role. It's been so long...
#RidleyReveal
#BestMondayEver
Can we go back to being a positive Ridley support thread now?
Sure as soon as everyone stops drinking the splounge water.
Then again, I drank it and I feel perfectly oka- *goes insane*
So that Monday reveal.

What if the reveal is Shulk...

... and during the trailer, he has a vision where he sees the silhouettes of the (hopefully) many secret newcomers the have to offer, and one of them is...

KRAID!!
:troll:
Nah, just kidding it'll also show Ridley.
Ridley wearing Kraid's skin? That's a new one.
:troll:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
@ IsmaR IsmaR

I don't think their is any doubt that we need to redo the OP, with or without permission. We are the most requested newcomer supporters, and none of out good evidence is in the OP.

Stuff I suggest to be in the new on, @Smashoperatingbuddy123 shadow analysis' (if he wants to redo some of it to make it look prettier, that makes sense) and @aldelaro5 and his great essay. His essay also works great as a timeline. If not you Ismar, then could you find a mod that really supports Ridley?

If we can update this OP with all of our evidence then we can finally have a place to send doubters and squash all their debunking theories

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'll just be hangin' around, with this totally awesome shadow analysis that I find myself reposting over and over and over...

That one time the thread was locked, and we made a new Ridley thread that also got locked? I was actually kind of excited about starting anew with a better OP.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I'm really hesitant to buy into the whole #MonadoMonday business, it just seems too easy. With the Gemastu leak and all the retweets everyone is outright expecting him to show up on Monday now, and given Sakurai penchant for surprising us, that doesn't sound characteristic. We've seen before what lengths he'll go to trick us (with an example on this very thread), so it wouldn't surprise me if he asked the X people to tweet about the event to throw everyone off.

But do I believe we'll get Ridley there? Honestly no. It's too anti-climatic to reveal him at a hastily put together livestream. Someone like Ridley is more fit for a grand Direct with buildup and long-winded speeches.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

@ IsmaR IsmaR

I don't think their is any doubt that we need to redo the OP, with or without permission. We are the most requested newcomer supporters, and none of out good evidence is in the OP.

Stuff I suggest to be in the new on, @Smashoperatingbuddy123 shadow analysis' (if he wants to redo some of it to make it look prettier, that makes sense) and @aldelaro5 and his great essay. His essay also works great as a timeline. If not you Ismar, then could you find a mod that really supports Ridley?

If we can update this OP with all of our evidence then we can finally have a place to send doubters and squash all their debunking theories
Also the Employee List and Lounge Sign.

And the Group Picture when that gets drawn.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Well Palutena, Mii and Palutena were all expected at E3 and it still happened so really it could be just Shulk.

Shulk is a pretty poppular character everywhere so it would be a hype trailer for a lot of people,sure like Palutena it will not be as hype as it could have been since everyone expect him because of the gematsu leak, but there is still a lot of people who are going to Be really happy when a playable Shulk will be revealed and are going to go F*** YEAH !

Shulk is also very probably the most wanted remaining gematsu character.

Ridley for Smash 4, alright now I'm not off topic.
Is Shulk really that popular? I kinda figured that the main base for Shulk support was in Japan, and that the overseas fanbase just took it as seeing he has a shot. Xenoblade, from what I've heard, only had a limited release in North America and was only found in one retail store (which sold it for an outrageous price), limiting the potential audience for that game.

I think people are greatly exaggerating Shulk's popularity in the Nintendo fanbase.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
OH HELL NO.
It's too late! We cannot stop it any more than we can stop the "too big" arguments or Ridley/Samus ships!

Actually, that ship goes to whole new levels of creepy, considering Ridley knew Samus as a baby. It's Jacob and Renesmee all over again, only more horrible.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Seriously though guys. The shipping thing is really weird, I would at least kind of get it if it was a human character. But even then it'd be weird for a video game. But we're talking about a space dragon killer monster here. Shipping for him just seems really innaproppiate.

Honestly, jokes aside, it's getting kind of ****ed up.

D

Deleted member

Seriously though guys. The shipping thing is really weird, I would at least kind of get it if it was a human character. But even then it'd be weird for a video game. But we're talking about a space dragon killer monster here. Shipping for him just seems really innaproppiate.

Someone hasn't been drinking their daily doses of Splounge water...

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

I shipped Ridley and Mother Brain once.

Never again.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I would have been hyped for Shulk before, but ever since the Gematsu leak, the rise in elitist users smugly believing that Shulk was a shoo-in, and the retweets from Monolith made me lose nearly all of my interest in him. Now when he's revealed, I'm going to be thinking, "Oh great, another Sal leak character got in".

So how would you rate Ridley's chances at this point? Considering how biased RTC can be, I figured that we wouldn't be much better or worse than them. I think Ridley has a 60% chance at being playable, or three-fifths. Before, I thought he had a 50% chance at getting in, but after seeing the shadow comparisons and the lack of any info on him after the Direct, has left me thinking that he has a legitimate shot.
A score for Ridley's chances? Hmm...

Well, the last time we officially rated him, I gave him a 45% score. Basically I thought it could go either way, but slightly leaning towards him just being a boss. After that, I really started thinking about Ridley, and I realized that what we've seen and what we've been told just doesn't add up. Sakurai de-confirms characters quickly and simply, and makes it very clear when a character is playable and when they're not (Skull Kid and Ashley are good examples of this). He likes avoiding creating unnecessary confusion. I would think that after Ridley was teased, Sakurai would probably have noticed all the debate the Direct caused, and would have tried to correct it shortly afterwards by officially revealing Ridley as a boss. Despite that, Ridley has yet to be acknowledged once. On the other side of things, Sakurai has a tendency to tease characters that do end up being playable and likes making indirect references to them (Palutena and Little Mac). Ridley's teasing matches what we've seen with newcomers much more than it does the random de-confirmations we've seen before. So how Ridley has been treated as a reveal doesn't make sense if he is a boss.

Then there's the issue of Ridley himself, since we got a brief glimpse of him in the Direct. As a number of shadow analyses have pointed out, Ridley isn't exactly huge. He seems to be large, but his size seems to match that of a large playable character, rather than a boss. Why would they make Ridley so small if he's a boss? And then there's the matter of how "boss" Ridley actually acts. Bosses in Smash, for the most part, have a fairly basic script they follow: stand still on part of the stage for a moment to let people attack them (usually this is the left or right of the stage), attack, or move to another part of the stage while attacking. All of this is done fairly quickly. Now, if the Yellow Devil is any indication, this basic pattern for bosses remains the same in this game. But if we look at how Ridley acted in the Direct, it's just odd: he slowly flies in from the right of the stage, stops in the middle, appears to do nothing, then slowly flies to the the left end of the stage, and then makes an immediate turn and starts slowly flying back towards the middle. Within all that time he's there, there is no indication that Ridley ever made any offensive movements. In other words, if Ridley is a boss, he's a very slow moving boss that hovers over the stage and does absolutely nothing to harm the players within a time frame of at least ten seconds. This not only fails to match up with any kind of boss we've seen in Smash before, but it's really just a bad boss design and an inaccurate portrayal of Ridley.

Basically, while it was suggested that Ridley was a boss, almost nothing about how Ridley was teased or how he actually acts matches up with this suggestion. And considering how Ridley is a highly requested newcomer and how Sakurai is really quite the troll, I think I'd seriously give Ridley a 75% chance of being playable at this point. Sakurai may have suggested that Ridley is a boss, but frankly, nothing else does.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

You're acting as if Ridley is just a mindless animal. He has a personality too, you know.

But I guess the most ideal shipping for him is with a mirror, yes? However, my OTP is RidleyxPalutena.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
Just out of curiosity, has there ever been a time where the majority of the community expected a certain character to be revealed at an event, and was right? I feel like every time the community places bets on who's going to be revealed in any event, the majority of people unanimously agree on one, safe, sound, logical character, and then Sakurai hits us with something right out of the left field :p I think mostly everyone is expecting Shulk on Monday, and so am I, but now I'm starting to doubt myself after looking at the past.

#MetroidMonday :denzel:
I think most of the Smash community was expecting a DK Newcommer the day we got Little Mac

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
You're acting as if Ridley is just a mindless animal. He has a personality too, you know.

But I guess the most ideal shipping for him is with a mirror, yes? However, my OTP is RidleyxPalutena.
A personality for killing stuff. NOT FOR FALLING IN LOVE AND HAVING INTELLIGENT CONVERSATIONS WITH SMASH CHARACTERS HE WANTS TO KILL

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
A score for Ridley's chances? Hmm...

Well, the last time we officially rated him, I gave him a 45% score. Basically I thought it could go either way, but slightly leaning towards him just being a boss. After that, I really started thinking about Ridley, and I realized that what we've seen and what we've been told just doesn't add up. Sakurai de-confirms characters quickly and simply, and makes it very clear when a character is playable and when they're not (Skull Kid and Ashley are good examples of this). He likes avoiding creating unnecessary confusion. I would think that after Ridley was teased, Sakurai would probably have noticed all the debate the Direct caused, and would have tried to correct it shortly afterwards by officially revealing Ridley as a boss. Despite that, Ridley has yet to be acknowledged once. On the other side of things, Sakurai has a tendency to tease characters that do end up being playable and likes making indirect references to them (Palutena and Little Mac). Ridley's teasing matches what we've seen with newcomers much more than it does the random de-confirmations we've seen before. So how Ridley has been treated as a reveal doesn't make sense if he is a boss.

Then there's the issue of Ridley himself, since we got a brief glimpse of him in the Direct. As a number of shadow analyses have pointed out, Ridley isn't exactly huge. He seems to be large, but his size seems to match that of a large playable character, rather than a boss. Why would they make Ridley so small if he's a boss? And then there's the matter of how "boss" Ridley actually acts. Bosses in Smash, for the most part, have a fairly basic script they follow: stand still on part of the stage for a moment to let people attack them (usually this is the left or right of the stage), attack, or move to another part of the stage while attacking. All of this is done fairly quickly. Now, if the Yellow Devil is any indication, this basic pattern for bosses remains the same in this game. But if we look at how Ridley acted in the Direct, it's just odd: he slowly flies in from the right of the stage, stops in the middle, appears to do nothing, then slowly flies to the the left end of the stage, and then makes an immediate turn and starts slowly flying back towards the middle. Within all that time he's there, there is no indication that Ridley ever made any offensive movements. In other words, if Ridley is a boss, he's a very slow moving boss that hovers over the stage and does absolutely nothing to harm the players within a time frame of at least ten seconds. This not only fails to match up with any kind of boss we've seen in Smash before, but it's really just a bad boss design and an inaccurate portrayal of Ridley.

Basically, while it was suggested that Ridley was a boss, almost nothing about how Ridley was teased or how he actually acts matches up with this suggestion. And considering how Ridley is a highly requested newcomer and how Sakurai is really quite the troll, I think I'd seriously give Ridley a 75% chance of being playable at this point. Sakurai may have suggested that Ridley is a boss, but frankly, nothing else does.
Coincidentally, my chance score for Ridley on the day that we rated both him and K. Rool was 45%. I think a fair score for Ridley on that thread should be 50%, as it could go either way, but then we would have to factor out the detractors.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Guys. guuys. I have something to tell you. I hate to break it to ya, but.... gematsu is the final roster

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Guys. guuys. I have something to tell you. I hate to break it to ya, but.... gematsu is the final roster
Well, spit. Maybe next Smash, we'll be lucky. At least we aren't the ones who are in denial at the moment. *stares at the other character threads*

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Oh, so does that mean we're only getting the characters listed by Gematsu?

What a pity. We'll have to say goodbye to all the veterans. Gematsu never mentioned them, so I'm afraid they must all be cut. Rosalina as well. Though we may get one of Ness or Lucas, at least.

Last edited:
Top Bottom