• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
All this talk about Sakurai being doubtful about revealing Ridley as boss is leading me to believe toobigots think Sakurai is like Capcom. Remember way back when they showed that trailer for Decapre?

Before showing her they showed a lot of fan favortie characters and basically crushed peoples hopes and dreams making them believe they actually had a chance only to have M.Bison give out a big screw you by beating them up. And after beating all of them up out pops Decapre a character nobody knew, but Capcom said "We want her in, we don't care who you want".

Not all game devs are like this, Sakurai himself has said on Twitter (I know this been said like 12 times already) he doesn't do stuff to get people's hopes up to let them down in the end. Teasing a character for 1 whole year and not showing anything at all relating to him except a shadow is not going to lead to Ridley being disconfirmed as playable.

Take this into consideration and read @aldelaro5 most recent essay. And for goodness sake don't read it just to make a comment about how we're wrong and try to convince us why, this is a support thread if you came to here to be convinced be open minded don't shut down every argument w/o giving it a second thought.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Can I just

I don't understand. Are you implying that Sakurai was taunting Mewtwo fans during Greninja's trailer? I wouldn't think so, because I'm absolutely confident that Mewtwo is playable in SSB4, just like Sakurai was teasing a playable Ridley.

Guys, I think we should just leave Rogersbase alone, he is pretty awesome when it comes to pokemon FFA videos, and besides, He is speculating like us, but he isn't talking trash about Ridley, he is merely stating what he has speculated
I wasn't aware if I was acting hostile towards him, nor was that my intention. He was respectable in his opinion and never said anything that warranted derision. He's free to believe that Ridley isn't playable, it's just that we had to lay out our reasons on why we think he has a chance.

He's certainly far better than the guys over at RTC (cept Groose).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Rewatching the Direct, I realized Smashley is on a pose that he never stayed in Other M, something to how Ridley did in past games, also, didn't remember the movements were so weird

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I suppose that depends on whether or not you think Mewtwo will be in.
It's not as much about thinking that gave him the power to troll us, it's about hope. I feel like the entirety of us Ridley fans (do we have a cool fanbase name yet?) can relate to this:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Rewatching the Direct, I realized Smashley is on a pose that he never stayed in Other M, something to how Ridley did in past games, also, didn't remember the movements were so weird
Your comment just made me think of something... Didn't Ridley stay on the ground for the majority of the Other M battle? So is it odd that he's just flying here?

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I think it's because @Oasis_S has given up on Ridley by this point, which is why it hasn't been touched since October (when Angelglory posted his wonderful renders).

I'd love for someone like @ IsmaR IsmaR to make a new OP for the thread, but it's very unlikely because we need Oasis's permission, and he doesn't come here very often.

If Sakurai did that with any other potential newcomer, I would actually end up being convinced that they have a good shot at being playable.
heh

I could Strong arm him into letting me have it

but I think he'd like it and then I'd be all grossed out so not gonna happen

D

Deleted member

Your comment just made me think of something... Didn't Ridley stay on the ground for the majority of the Other M battle? So is it odd that he's just flying here?
I think so, that would just raise my suspicion...
Also, do AT and hazards even have shadows?

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I don't understand. Are you implying that Sakurai was taunting Mewtwo fans during Greninja's trailer? I wouldn't think so, because I'm absolutely confident that Mewtwo is playable in SSB4, just like Sakurai was teasing a playable Ridley.
You've got to be "joshing" me...

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
(I just noticed the Prefrences Options, and I must say, the Project M color scheme looks BEAUTIFUL.)
I've also noticed that the Shadow of Ridley is... "Thinner"? It may be because of his Shadow, but he seems smaller in a Horizontal Ratio. Not like he's Waluigi-ified, I mean he sorta got shrunk down on a horizontal Ratio.
I dunno, just my eyes telling me stuff.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
heh

I could Strong arm him into letting me have it

but I think he'd like it and then I'd be all grossed out so not gonna happen
Darn. Phaazoid OP disconfirmed like Waluigi. :c

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I think so, that would just raise my suspicion...
Also, do AT and hazards even have shadows?
The Devil has a shadow.

I just realized that during gameplay, I might be paying more attention to Ridley's shadow rather than Ridley himself...

D

Deleted member

Everyone in the internet thinks Shulk is going to be revealed on Monday, which makes me believe that another character will actually be(hopefully Ridley), I doubt Sakurai would let them retweet it if they know Shulk is going to be revealed, Sakurai made everyone believe we would get Mewtwo at the Direct, but nope, have Greninja. I really want a hype reveal like I had with Mega Man and Greninja because I did not expect them, I was like "oh, it's just Mew-- holy s***", probably going to happen again this Monday

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Everyone in the internet thinks Shulk is going to be revealed on Monday, which makes me believe that another character will actually be(hopefully Ridley), I doubt Sakurai would let them retweet it if they know Shulk is going to be revealed, Sakurai made everyone believe we would get Mewtwo at the Direct, but nope, have Greninja. I really want a hype reveal like I had with Mega Man and Greninja because I did not expect them, I was like "oh, it's just Mew-- holy s***", probably going to happen again this Monday
I'm betting on Ridley (the True logical reason) or Bandana Dee (because Sakurai).

D

Deleted member

Keep in mind guise

July isn't exactly a good Metroid-themed month.
That's what Sakurai wants you to believe, April wasn't a Pokemon month and June wasn't a KI month, Masahiro "Unpredictable" Sakurai is his name

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I would have been hyped for Shulk before, but ever since the Gematsu leak, the rise in elitist users smugly believing that Shulk was a shoo-in, and the retweets from Monolith made me lose nearly all of my interest in him. Now when he's revealed, I'm going to be thinking, "Oh great, another Sal leak character got in".

So how would you rate Ridley's chances at this point? Considering how biased RTC can be, I figured that we wouldn't be much better or worse than them. I think Ridley has a 60% chance at being playable, or three-fifths. Before, I thought he had a 50% chance at getting in, but after seeing the shadow comparisons and the lack of any info on him after the Direct, has left me thinking that he has a legitimate shot.

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
Well, you clearly like to think that your reasoning for disbelieving that Ridley is a boss character is well thought out and logical, but to say that it cannot be argued, I disagree. It is heavily implied that Ridley is a boss character for Pyrosphre in the same way that the yellow devil is a boss character for Dr. Wily's castle stage. The only reason I can see that one would infer otherwise is due to a lot of wishful thinking. I think you're choosing faith over evidence.
As for Sakurai's choice to not show Ridley, either he wants to surprise people, Ridley isn't finished yet or he's purposely not wanting to disappoint Ridley supporters. Personally, I think it's because Ridley wasn't completely done yet and he might have looked a little odd. And, gotta save some surprises for later, anyway, so it's not like he's going to show off Ridley the moment he gets him done. Also, he might not want to disappoint so many people too soon before the game launches. But, if Ridley supporters don't find out that he's not playable until the game launches then the negative reaction won't be as bad, because they'll still at least have the game to play so they'll have plenty to be distracted with.

1st PotD of Wily's castle, we saw Yellow Devil.

1st PotD of Find Mii, Dark Emperor.

"Ridley wasn't done yet."
Also, Find Mii's Boss was finished by the first PotD.
Even after we saw Mushroom Kingdom U., it was unfinished, as Nabbit didn't appear in the Demo.
"Sakurai just doesn't want to let Ridley fans down.."
"Your choosing faith over evidence."

Yea, I guess we have a lot of faith, huh?
Source: http://smashbros-miiverse.com/pic-of-the-day

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Ridley's chances? 100%.

Want levels for Ridley? 60%.

I'd probably want him more, but literal MONTHS of waiting for a confirmation have grated on my ability to hype.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217

1st PotD of Wily's castle, we saw Yellow Devil.

1st PotD of Find Mii, Dark Emperor.

"Ridley wasn't done yet."
Also, Find Mii's Boss was finished by the first PotD.
Even after we saw Mushroom Kingdom U., it was unfinished, as Nabbit didn't appear in the Demo.
"Sakurai just doesn't want to let Ridley fans down.."
"Your choosing faith over evidence."

Yea, I guess we have a lot of faith, huh?
Source: http://smashbros-miiverse.com/pic-of-the-day
How to get Burn'd, How to get Burn'd.
Good work. ;)

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
Someone who likes Greninja over Mewtwo?!

Can we go back to being a positive Ridley support thread now?

PerfectChaos9

Smash Cadet
Just out of curiosity, has there ever been a time where the majority of the community expected a certain character to be revealed at an event, and was right? I feel like every time the community places bets on who's going to be revealed in any event, the majority of people unanimously agree on one, safe, sound, logical character, and then Sakurai hits us with something right out of the left field :p I think mostly everyone is expecting Shulk on Monday, and so am I, but now I'm starting to doubt myself after looking at the past.

#MetroidMonday :denzel:

D

Deleted member

Just out of curiosity, has there ever been a time where the majority of the community expected a certain character to be revealed at an event, and was right? I feel like every time the community places bets on who's going to be revealed in any event, the majority of people unanimously agree on one, safe, sound, logical character, and then Sakurai hits us with something right out of the left field :p I think mostly everyone is expecting Shulk on Monday, and so am I, but now I'm starting to doubt myself after looking at the past.

#MetroidMonday :denzel:
Well, i predicted Pac-Man and Mii for E3, but Miis had to be explained and Pac-Man is 3rd party so...

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Well Palutena, Mii and Palutena were all expected at E3 and it still happened so really it could be just Shulk.

Shulk is a pretty poppular character everywhere so it would be a hype trailer for a lot of people,sure like Palutena it will not be as hype as it could have been since everyone expect him because of the gematsu leak, but there is still a lot of people who are going to Be really happy when a playable Shulk will be revealed and are going to go F*** YEAH !

Shulk is also very probably the most wanted remaining gematsu character.

Ridley for Smash 4, alright now I'm not off topic.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
So that Monday reveal.

What if the reveal is Shulk...

... and during the trailer, he has a vision where he sees the silhouettes of the (hopefully) many secret newcomers the have to offer, and one of them is...

KRAID!!
:troll:
Nah, just kidding it'll also show Ridley.

Top Bottom