• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member

WOW. What a post, haha.

It's clear that you took a lot of time to write all this but to be completely honest, none of that convinces me.

The easy answer to the size debate is "Look at Olimar, he's actually the size of a quarter" and that's totally valid but Ridley is still an enormous dragon. Making a character bigger is much easier than shrinking one down. I still think that they could make Ridley fit without looking like he has some kind of deformity (I don't care how many Project M mods people show me, those fan-made Ridleys always look terrible) I just don't think it will happen.

It's also interesting that you bring up the "Samus' trauma" translation from the Japanese Miiverse post as very few people have ever brought that up before and it acts as a further confirmation that Ridley is who he was talking about.

Do you want my honest opinion as to why we haven't seen Ridley as a stage hazard yet? Honestly? Sakurai does not want to disappoint the fans. He knows that lots of people want Ridley. He knows that if he flat out announces that Ridley is a stage hazard, people will be upset. By teasing Ridley fans with the shadow and the trophy fake-out in the Smash Direct, he's giving you hope. Alas, there is no hope. Other M Ridley is a stage hazard. Done. 100%. No question.

That being said, Other M Ridley is a clone so if regular sized Ridley (from the original Metroid) or Meta-Ridley make it in, he can use the excuse that the Ridley in Pyrosphere is a completely different character. I can absolutely see him doing that and I honestly think that's the best possible scenario for Ridley.

Again, awesome mega post but this did not convince me that he's likely to be playable, it only further solidified my stance that's it's highly unlikely.
Giving us false hope is an even worse decision than disconfirming Ridley outright, I feel like he'd much rather save us the misery and frustration that comes with building up Ridley for months only to shoot the hopes of the fans down with a disconfirmation and just disconfirm him as playable with a Stage Boss reveal for Pyrosphere when the stage was revealed.

Sakurai has made some fairly questionable decisions in the past, but considering that he has stated that he doesn't like to lead fans along, coupled with the Ridley tease in the April Direct, it seems like he is more likely teasing Ridley as playable.

Disconfirm Ridley outright? Boom, done, he's not in, we'll probably rant and be upset for a little bit, but we'll move on.

Disconfirm Ridley after months of ambiguity and a formal tease? The amount of resent he'd get from the Ridley supporters would be 10x worse and the ranting and frustration would be on a completely different level from where it would be had he disconfirmed Ridley outright (at least from me).

Sakurai and Nintendo have demonstrated that they can be a little blind to the Smash Community (obviously that has begun to change, but still) but I imagine that there is no question that Sakurai would be aware of the backlash that would come with such a disgraceful and almost immature way of disconfirming a character.

He knows the fans love his game, and he wants to keep it that way, disconfirming Ridley after months of ambiguity would be in my eyes the worst decision he's ever made, and I would lose nearly all of the respect I had for his great game achievements because of his abysmal handling of the Playable Ridley Situation. I don't imagine that other Ridley supporters and other Smash fans (barring the "Toobigots" which hate us) would react much differently.

It'd be a heartless slap in the face to disconfirm him this way, and Sakurai knows it.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Actually, the most darning evidence is that the third correspondence, which claims that there was an "internal debate" about keeping or cutting Ness or Lucas. We now know for certain that the full roster was decided at the beginning of development two years ago, definitively proving the source incorrect on at least that point: that absolute contradiction defeats the legitimacy of the entire rumour. And the Gematsu is shot down once again.
I think the mention of a Ness vs. Lucas debate just further shows that the Gematsu leak contains outdated information. I mean, there's no way they were recently debating Ness and Lucas, for the reasons you mentioned. That had to have happened early in the development process.

And if the information is outdated, then it may not be entirely accurate.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Wow. No offense, but that was just pure bull**** right there. Sakurai has said time and time again that he does not like to give false hope to the fans. As the director to the Smash series, he feels that he has an obligation to meet the expectations of both Nintendo and his fans, which causes him a lot of stress during the development of each game. But he never backed down, because he loves his fans and he never wants to disappoint them.

You have a right to not believe in Ridley, but what you said right now is just plain wrong.
The closest thing he's gotten to "giving false hope" is with Phosphora. And I think I'm safe in saying that nobody wanted her of all people to represent Kid Icarus.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I think the mention of a Ness vs. Lucas debate just further shows that the Gematsu leak contains outdated information. I mean, there's no way they were recently debating Ness and Lucas, for the reasons you mentioned. That had to have happened early in the development process.

And if the information is outdated, then it may not be entirely accurate.
The entire issue is if the information is outdated, then the third leak more directly contradicts Sakurai by saying that DLC is being planned. Soon after Sakurai explicitly said "DLC is not at all being planned but we might consider it after the game is released."

EDIT: Not to mention if all of the information is out of date and was all obtained before E3, let's say, then there was literally no reason to post it in parts. Which would be extremely likely to get the person in trouble, and is literally one of the dumbest ways to ever leak something.

Last edited:

RogersBase

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RogersBase
3DS FC
1848-1722-4915
Wow. No offense, but that was just pure bull**** right there. Sakurai has said time and time again that he does not like to give false hope to the fans. As the director to the Smash series, he feels that he has an obligation to meet the expectations of both Nintendo and his fans, which causes him a lot of stress during the development of each game. But he never backed down, because he loves his fans and he never wants to disappoint them.

You have a right to not believe in Ridley, but what you said right now is just plain wrong.
You say that and yet Ridley was a boss in Subspace and will probably only be a stage hazard in this game. Of course Sakurai loves his fans, nobody is arguing that. That said, is he probably getting pressure to not announce Ridley as a stage hazard if he's not playable? Probably.

People will buy the game regardless of whether or not Ridley is in it. Anyone with a Smashboards account who says otherwise is a liar. It's the next Smash. They could have just added Pac-Man and Mega Man and people would have bought it.

Come back to this post in September. You know it to be true.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
It's possible that the stage is finished but Sakurai didn't want to show its bosd, Ridley, directly, that's all. We have no boss yet, except Yellow Devil, the same way we only knew Flora before brawl's release.
Yellow devil is an example of boss, and others will follow. It's still a better spot than assist trophy. After all, the Mushroom kingdom U was not finished but still playable at E3. But none of the stage had a boss except Yellow Devil. Sakurai probably is glorifying Ridley as a boss, despite being described as intelligent, acts more like a beast, same way Aliens are intelligent for "animals".
Plus it seems it's Other M Ridley we'll get, who just acts as a predator.
Being a boss is already good.
So Sakurai is glorifying a character that was a boss in the previous game, that has an even worse role than the previous game, that sucks and that was already done by another game? That doesn't make any sense
Also all the contrary, Other M Ridley is very intelligent in the game

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Actually, the most darning evidence is that the third correspondence, which claims that there was an "internal debate" about keeping or cutting Ness or Lucas. We now know for certain that the full roster was decided at the beginning of development two years ago, definitively proving the source incorrect on at least that point: that absolute contradiction defeats the legitimacy of the entire rumour. And the Gematsu is shot down once again.
So the internal debate happened before the roster was finalized and Gematsu doesnt know beyond that point onwards.

majora_787

Smash Hero
You say that and yet Ridley was a boss in Subspace and will probably only be a stage hazard in this game. Of course Sakurai loves his fans, nobody is arguing that. That said, is he probably getting pressure to not announce Ridley as a stage hazard if he's not playable? Probably.

People will buy the game regardless of whether or not Ridley is in it. Anyone with a Smashboards account who says otherwise is a liar. It's the next Smash. They could have just added Pac-Man and Mega Man and people would have bought it.

We know for a fact that bosses already function more or less like stage hazards. And whether people would buy the game otherwise is not even a legitimate point.

Why add *ANYONE* they have added? Why add new characters at all? Someone somewhere would still buy the game.

EDIT: Also the thing is this. Let's say the second leak is outdated. If this person is "on the inside" enough to know about a debate over who to cut from the roster, they most likely would know exactly what pokemon was picked. They did not specify the pokemon in April, when it would have long since been named. They simply guessed "An X & Y pokemon".

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
The entire issue is if the information is outdated, then the third leak more directly contradicts Sakurai by saying that DLC is being planned. Soon after Sakurai explicitly said "DLC is not at all being planned but we might consider it after the game is released."
Well, it is possible that the information on DLC was a more recent development that the leaker found out about. After all, the third leak updates the Miis to Mii Fighters, as they ended up being called when they were revealed shortly after. But the whole DLC thing is rather odd. I'm not entirely convinced that we will be getting DLC.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Eh, people will buy the game(s) even if Mega Man, Pac-Man, Little Mac, and Mewtwo were not playable, and all we had were Wii Fit Trainer-esque newcomers.

If Ridley wasn't flat out playable, Sakurai would have said so long ago.

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman

If people will buy the game regardless then he has no reason to feel pressure, since it can't harm the game's reception.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well, it is possible that the information on DLC was a more recent development that the leaker found out about. After all, the third leak updates the Miis to Mii Fighters, as they ended up being called when they were revealed shortly after. But the whole DLC thing is rather odd. I'm not entirely convinced that we will be getting DLC.
But that's it right there. If the leaker edits their leaks to accommodate for new information AND they are inside enough to know about ROSTER DEBATES, then they could have called Greninja in April by name. They could have cut their leak in half and only said "Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man, and Villager" will be at E3 2013 instead of giving explicitly false predictions.

Are they only CONVENIENTLY SOMETIMES able to actually use new information? :\ Goal posts get moved way too much for this "leak".

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think what we are seeing in this great Ridley debate is a general differential between pragmatists and realists in the world.
Both are necessary. Some see a stick and say it fell from the tree in a thunderstorm, and others use it to make a nest small woodland critters.

Both can see a level of logic and application, but one has a lot more to do with what has happened, the other has a lot more to do with what could happen based upon that previous part.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Sakurai knows this, Sakurai knows that... but Sakurai cut Mewtwo once (tho he intended to make him playable) put Ridley as a boss once (saying it would have been possible, but would it be right to make him a slow character ?), put Wii fit Trainer as playable... I really think he made a good game with diversified characters his priority putting aside some of th fans' favorites. K Rool and Ridley could be omited one more time.

And it's still possible there was a debate between keeping Lucas or Ness, like having the model finished with his standard moves, but now which skin do we keep ? Lucas or Ness ?
Maybe Ridley in Smash 6 though guys.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
The Gematsu leak was first introduced into the world a day before E3 2013.
The gematsu leak never specifies at which point the tipster got the information. And thus it can be argued that the tipster got the information two years before revealing it.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I think what we are seeing in this great Ridley debate is a general differential between pragmatists and realists in the world.
Both are necessary. Some see a stick and say it fell from the tree in a thunderstorm, and others use it to make a nest small woodland critters.

Both can see a level of logic and application, but one has a lot more to do with what has happened, the other has a lot more to do with what could happen based upon that previous part.
And then there are those who completely ignore all evidence from the opposition and call them "delusional".

Seriously, I kind of want to see those people in RTC come in here so they can see why we're still confident in Ridley's chances.

majora_787

Smash Hero
And then there are those who completely ignore all evidence from the opposition and call them "delusional".

Seriously, I kind of want to see those people in RTC come in here so they can see why we're still confident in Ridley's chances.
Obviously evidence is objectively and without bias 500% irrelevant if it doesn't support their point. If it does it is the only evidence that matters. Nobias.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
But that's it right there. If the leaker edits their leaks to accommodate for new information AND they are inside enough to know about ROSTER DEBATES, then they could have called Greninja in April by name. They could have cut their leak in half and only said "Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man, and Villager" will be at E3 2013 instead of giving explicitly false predictions.

Are they only CONVENIENTLY SOMETIMES able to actually use new information? :\ Goal posts get moved way too much for this "leak".
My stance on the leak is that the leaker is someone who had partial access to early developmental information (back when most of the roster had been decided, but things like Greninja and Ness or Lucas were not), and has a way of getting bits of more recent information just before they're revealed at big events. Basically, I think the leak is an actual leak, but that it didn't come from someone actually developing the game, and instead came from someone else (perhaps someone who works with E3?) that had limited access to information about the game.

And if that's the case, it's highly likely that the leaker is not all knowing, and may leave out an important detail or get something incorrect. It opens up the door for characters like Ridley to make it in.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I didn't say that they development team would wait half a year to start working on Ridley, but maybe they're putting a lot of work into him and continuously tweaking him until they're happy with him. You know, kind of like the way that game development works.
Maybe after a few months, but after 8 or so? Nope.

So, your argument was that he's not afraid to show unfinished things because they showed Mushroom Kingdom U without Nabbit... okay, but if Nabbit wasn't finished and they didn't show him... doesn't that go against what you're saying? Yes. It does.
No. No it doesn't. You're clearly not thinking right. It actually supports my argument. Mushroom Kingdom U was revealed only within a month prior to E3 2014, so it's reasonable for a few things for that stage to not be complete. Whereas Pyrosphere was revealed a month or two after E3 2013, and looked almost complete. Now, why would it take 8 months of development for Ridley whilst trying to do other things on top, and still not be done? Pyrosphere is one of the earliest stages to have been revealed, and yet Ridlephobes are saying that the stage hazard (the Pyrosphere's main attraction) it's meant to have is apparently "incomplete"... Ridiculous...

Nothing in game development is a piece of cake. It all takes a lot of time and effort. To assume that creating very complicated 3D model and AI is a piece of cake is ludicrous.
The only "ludicrous" thing here is your assumption that a stage hazard would not complete after all these months later. Yes development takes time and effort, but not this amount for something for a stage that seems completed almost a year ago, especially from those with experience with developing fighting games. If the stage had been revealed recently, I would've understood having an incomplete hazard, but since it wasn't, there's no excuse (other than bad development planning). Either Sakurai doesn't want to talk about it until after 3DS version's release (which is silly, because if you're going to dis-confirm a character, you do it straight away like the others, not a year later), or he's hiding Ridley's playable status.

Lol. "Ridlephobes." Implying that I'm scared he might be a playable character. I wouldn't care if he was. There's just no evidence of it, meanwhile all the evidence points towards Ridley being a stage boss. I'm looking at this from an unbiased view while most of you are heavily biased. Think about that.
"Unbiased", right... and I'm the president of Australia. Ridlephobe is a polite term I created for TooBigot, you know the term used to describe the idiots that hate (not fear) the character for no legitimate reason and claim he's "too big" for a non-canon game. The same idiots that assume that Samus is full scale 6'3" trophy (and using her to compare sizes with other characters), and master hand is a giant hand, when all characters bar master hand are tiny figures/trophies, and Master Hand is a normal sized human hand from someone using their imagination and playing with the Nintendo character trophies/figures. The same idiots that ignore Sakurai's messages of canon size doesn't matter in the series. I am not biased, I have the mindset that Ridley can be both playable and a WiiU exclusive stage boss hazard, you're the one that's being biased and assuming from an 8 second clip that Ridley is 100% a stage boss. The fact that Ridley's supposed "dis-confirmation" (teasing) is completely different from the tactics that Sakurai used for 100% dis-confirmed characters (quick and straight to the point) is the reason why people have raised questions about it. Clearly Ridlephobes just take everything at face value, rather than logically question Sakurai's actions. Sakurai only mentioned that boss characters make appearances on stages, whilst showing Ridley's shadow, he did not flat out say "Ridley is a [insert role] character, he isn't playable" like he has with previous dis-confirmed characters. Think about it for a moment, Sakurai could make people think Ridley isn't playable, and then surprise people by showing people (or when they unlock him if he's hidden) that he's playable.

Please actually make the effort to read what people have posted about, i.e. the analyses and theories, on previous pages in the thread, rather than going into a support thread and going "hurr durr he's not playable you guys,100% evidence he's a stage hazard [you're in denial]". The only evidence that clip is for, is that Ridley is in the game in some shape or role. Sakurai is tip toeing about in regards to Ridley, which is rather suspicious for some.

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Sakurai knows this, Sakurai knows that... but Sakurai cut Mewtwo once (tho he intended to make him playable) put Ridley as a boss once (saying it would have been possible, but would it be right to make him a slow character ?), put Wii fit Trainer as playable... I really think he made a good game with diversified characters his priority putting aside some of th fans' favorites. K Rool and Ridley could be omited one more time.

And it's still possible there was a debate between keeping Lucas or Ness, like having the model finished with his standard moves, but now which skin do we keep ? Lucas or Ness ?
Maybe Ridley in Smash 6 though guys.
The problem is that Ridley and King K rool could be diversified characters, in other words, he avoided popular characters that could make have unqiue gameplay features

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
This is why OP needs to be updated.
This has been bugging me for ages, why isn't someone who's actually active in this thread updating the original post? Or running this thread for that matter. The K. Rool thread is fantastic because the guy running it keeps it up to date, this one hasn't been touched for 2 years.

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
The stupid thing is, if the shadow thing happened to any other characters, Ridlephobes would just think something like "b...b...but [insert character name] still has a chance! Sakurai didn't say they weren't playable". Since it's Ridley, they're saying "nope, 100% dis-confirmed, evidence he's too big hurr hurr", pure hypocrisy.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
This has been bugging me for ages, why isn't someone who's actually active in this thread updating the original post? Or running this thread for that matter. The K. Rool thread is fantastic because the guy running it keeps it up to date, this one hasn't been touched for 2 years.
I think it's because @Oasis_S has given up on Ridley by this point, which is why it hasn't been touched since October (when Angelglory posted his wonderful renders).

I'd love for someone like @ IsmaR IsmaR to make a new OP for the thread, but it's very unlikely because we need Oasis's permission, and he doesn't come here very often.

The stupid thing is, if the shadow thing happened to any other characters, Ridlephobes would just think something like "b...b...but [insert character name] still has a chance! Sakurai didn't say they weren't playable". Since it's Ridley, they're saying "nope, 100% dis-confirmed, evidence he's too big hurr hurr", pure hypocrisy.
If Sakurai did that with any other potential newcomer, I would actually end up being convinced that they have a good shot at being playable.

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
H
Well, the other thing to consider is Ridley may have a unique game play element.

Remember how they saved all the (sans zelda/samus) transformation characters until the same direct? A mechanic had changed, so they held off the announcement until all at once.

And lots of newcomers have had fresh mechanics. From the extra custom moves of Miis/Palutena, Luma, the KO bar, megaman having a projectile side smash. It wouldn't be too out of the ordinary to assume that Ridley has something new, too.
We already know gliding is pretty much gone, at least from pit/charizard. And what other flying characters haven't been unveiled? Meta Knight and ROB. Maybe some of them share this new mechanic, maybe it's just Ridley, but it's not hard to believe there could be something new.
have we seen mega Charizard X on the ground yet? Maybe he shares this mechanic?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

I also read your post before and since you read is I think was my most accurate way of telling what I think, arguing is unnecessary but I'm just going to say this: If Sakurai felt too much pressure to deconfirms him, I wonder why he could deconfirmd anyone he did before.

But anyway, even tough I mostly disagree with your opinion, I brought everything I need to so you simply saw him in a different perspective than me. Which makes sense since opinion is opinion: it changes from person to person.

So, thanks for reading anyway Roger.

So, I wake up and expect to receive likes. See for yourself:

It's so rare to have that much unread alert for me since I check them every time :)

And I can confirm it now. My old essay got 27 likes and this one has 31. So, it's now my most liked messages thank you for reading such a long post.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I don't agree with you if it was for one thing, Ridley isn't popular in Japan, but THE most requested newcomer from the States if my years on the net have proven me anything. Little Mac's addition proves Sakurai is listening to fans outside Japan, because pretty much nobody there knew who the hell Little Mac was! If Little Mac gets in even though Ridley is more requested and plausible, then that means A. Ridley is also playable, B. Sakurai dislikes Ridley and doesn't want him in

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
>GameXplain decides to discuss about the new character
>Doesn't mention Ridley/King K. Rool at all
Son, I am disappoint.
Considering the Last Time GameXplain mentioned Ridley we went ballistic, it's no wonder they'd be reserved about talking about Ridley in the future

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I think it's because @Oasis_S has given up on Ridley by this point, which is why it hasn't been touched since October (when Angelglory posted his wonderful renders).

I'd love for someone like @ IsmaR IsmaR to make a new OP for the thread, but it's very unlikely because we need Oasis's permission, and he doesn't come here very often.
Even pm?

I got my OP by pm the old one but it was xenoblaze he's more active.

Maybe someone would need to talk to the support forum?

Xenorange

Smash Lord

Have you ever seen this?http://smashboards.com/attachments/roidley_takeoff_shorted-gif.12399/
Kinda looks like a jump, what do you think?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Even pm?

I got my OP by pm the old one but it was xenoblaze he's more active.

Maybe someone would need to talk to the support forum?
It's possible, but I still don't think he would consent to the idea. Besides, I would have to get another user to agree to the idea of making a new OP (I personally do not want to be the one in charge), which might be difficult to accomplish.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Sakurai has said time and time again that he does not like to give false hope to the fans. As the director to the Smash series, he feels that he has an obligation to meet the expectations of both Nintendo and his fans, which causes him a lot of stress during the development of each game. But he never backed down, because he loves his fans and he never wants to disappoint them.
Can I just

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Such a phenomenon is already happening with the freaking Gematsu leak. "You support someone other then Shulk, Chrom, and Chorus Men?! Don't you know his word is gospel and there won't be anymore character after them?! Now bow down and worship his glory!"

If any of the three mentioned are revealed on Monday I may actually take a break from Smashboards because any and all speculation will be decimated by the obnoxious believers.

Top Bottom