• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
So, I just came online since yesterday, and first heard about the news via YouTube comment on the latest GameXplain weekly Smash discussion so I wrote it off as some fake leak. Then I came here and read about the message on the official website. I went to the website and saw it.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I have nearly no knowledge of spanish, so I can so no on that question, the other Mexican was Chuggaaconroy

Anyway, after I observed my strawpoll I made for you guys, it seems our threadinal(national+thread) anthem is Roidley theme http://strawpoll.me/2039109/r
xD Oh ok~! Sorry about that! then I'm the one that got confused! -u- It is good to know there's some mexican or spanish speakers here! so....VIVA MÉXICO, CA-! um....I mean....YAY MÉXICO!

Roidley's? Oh well. it is good.

Last edited:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
What I'm curious about is how this sudden announcement is coming right after EVO 2k14. That and Nintendo, who's sponsoring EVO this year, apparently has an announcement planned after the Smash Melee finals.

I'm thinking the Monday announcement is primarily for people who don't know what EVO is. And plenty of people do not know what EVO is. For all we know, we could learn the newest character this Sunday. It would be silly otherwise to announce this Sunday that there's going to be a newcomer video on Monday.

Considering that, I don't think any of the Gematsu leak newcomers are appropriate reveals for a crowd like EVO. It can still happen though. Nintendo may just think they're being good to the fanbase by using EVO as a podium to announce a brand new Smash character.

...All the same, Ridley being revealed at EVO would turn the entire place upside-down. Shulk would be a distant 2nd, and I can't imagine Chrom exciting a crowd like EVO that much. And Chorus Men..... No.

....But I could be wrong. In that case, what in the world does Nintendo have planned this Sunday?

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
:confused::eek::crazy:So lost... missed over a hundered pages... *ded*:skull:

Annnnnyyyyyyywaaaayyyyys, can't seem to find anything on the gaming* importance of July 14, so I'm just gonna say "'cuz Sakurai," in regards to this.

In any event, expect little to nothing, and hope for the best. Disappointment is less likely to follow such a strategy.

What I'm curious about is how this sudden announcement is coming right after EVO 2k14. That and Nintendo, who's sponsoring EVO this year, apparently has an announcement planned after the Smash Melee finals.
How did I forget this was a thing? I shouldn't have forgotten this was a thing. I just saw some news related to this thing.

....But I could be wrong. In that case, what in the world does Nintendo have planned this Sunday?
...The plot thickens.

*Edited for political correctness.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Saw this announcement and immediately did not think it is the place for Ridley's reveal.

I'm really betting on Shulk since he seems like a perfect starting roster character.

Sakurai's post actually gives me more hope for Ridley. He said "running out of newcomer videos" instead of "newcomer reveals". Secret newcomers will be in the game. Chrom and Chorus Men really fit the "secret newcomer" idea for me.

That being said, if we still don't see Ridley on Pyrosphere as a boss after ANOTHER huge announcement, then we have nothing to worry about, he's playable.

Holding out hope it's Ridley though.

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
I know its not going to be ridley but my gut feeling tells me its going to be king k rool ofcourse that was before the shulk stuff .

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I know its not going to be ridley but my gut feeling tells me its going to be king k rool ofcourse that was before the shulk stuff .
If it's not Ridley, then it's definitely not K Rool. Ridley has some evidence that he could be revealed, K Rool has.... Hope?

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I'm honestly not expecting it to be Ridley, overriding hype aside. If nothing else I hope it at least isn't a Gemastu character so we can finally lay that abomination to rest.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
Saw this announcement and immediately did not think it is the place for Ridley's reveal.

I'm really betting on Shulk since he seems like a perfect starting roster character.
I Actually thought the contrary. Shulk would be a nice Unlockable.

R0Y

Smash Master
I hope the Gematsu leak turns out to be fake and Monday's reveal is Ridley, not Shulk or one of the remainder.

majora_787

Smash Hero

Sakurai's post actually gives me more hope for Ridley. He said "running out of newcomer videos" instead of "newcomer reveals". Secret newcomers will be in the game. Chrom and Chorus Men really fit the "secret newcomer" idea for me.

That being said, if we still don't see Ridley on Pyrosphere as a boss after ANOTHER huge announcement, then we have nothing to worry about, he's playable.

Holding out hope it's Ridley though.
Why did people ever think this was ever even a concern? o_o And it's not just you, it is literally dozens of people, maybe hundreds who thought there would be literally no hidden characters.

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
Guys wait until you hear this

The trailer is going to be 3 minutes long

I really doubt one of the sal characters will get a trailer that long

I think we are looking at another double character trailer like the greninja trailer
If it does happen to be a double reveal i'm hoping for Ganondorf alongside Ridley, and man the hype is real for this new character, and I'm actually gonna be home for this one!

D

Deleted member

If it's not Ridley, then it's definitely not K Rool. Ridley has some evidence that he could be revealed, K Rool has.... Hope?
C'mon dude, don't start this again

Anyway, what if Sakurai thinks we're thinking that Ridley won't be revealed so he can reveal Ridley on Monday, no one, literally no one is expecting Ridley to be revealed, and then BAM Ridley right back at ya! It's also safe to tell this because the video is already ready, so even if they notice this, they can't do anything

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

I'm thinking the Monday announcement is primarily for people who don't know what EVO is. And plenty of people do not know what EVO is. For all we know, we could learn the newest character this Sunday. It would be silly otherwise to announce this Sunday that there's going to be a newcomer video on Monday.

Considering that, I don't think any of the Gematsu leak newcomers are appropriate reveals for a crowd like EVO. It can still happen though. Nintendo may just think they're being good to the fanbase by using EVO as a podium to announce a brand new Smash character.

...All the same, Ridley being revealed at EVO would turn the entire place upside-down. Shulk would be a distant 2nd, and I can't imagine Chrom exciting a crowd like EVO that much. And Chorus Men..... No.

We don't know if Nintendo even has anything planned for Evo, we just know there's an announcement by some people right before and right after the Melee grand finals, which makes it likely that it's Nintendo as companies usually schedule announcements around their respective games for obvious reasons. But really, it could be anything announced by anyone.

If they want to catter to the competitive community they're going to announce Captain Falcon or some other fan favorite veteran like Falco, but given the timing of the newcomer reveal right after Evo I actually doubt we're going to see anything by Nintendo.

As for the Monday reveal, I'm almost certain it's going to be Shulk, who I don't believe can live up to the 3 days pre-hype thanks to Gematsu spoiling him.

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo

Anyway, what if Sakurai thinks we're thinking that Ridley won't be revealed so he can reveal Ridley on Monday, no one, literally no one is expecting Ridley to be revealed, and then BAM Ridley right back at ya! It's also safe to tell this because the video is already ready, so even if they notice this, they can't do anything
That seems like the Masahiro Unpredictable that we know and love.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779

I don't mean to start anything. It's just being realistic. I'm a huge K Rool fan. But there's nothing that supports him being playable other than how much we as fans want him, and we know that Sakurai barely cares. I got into an argument on the character discussion boards and no one could convince me he's playable. They could only give me reasons for why he should be.

Some people on these boards don't know where to draw that line of "They are playable" and "They deserve to be playable". Which is also why I get annoyed when people think he's a shoe in, dismiss rosters without him, assume he is the character to be revealed, etc. This isn't me not liking him either. I'm a huge K Rool fan. There's just nothing to make me believe he is playable.

Sorry, this is not the place for his discussion.

Iddis

Smash Apprentice

I doubt that they would, but if they have another new character reveal trailer they could just play that one, highly highly doubtful, but slightly possible

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Xenoblade's director tweeting about the announcement makes me believe it will be Shulk, the character to be announced and that is fine, imo. Of course Ridley is my most wanted newcomer and I would love it to be revealed next week, but assuming another character will be announced will prevent myself from massive disappointments.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Wait a minute, I just read the NintendoLife article regarding the matter and they say that there will be an actual countdown before the reveal. You know what franchise involves a lot of countdowns? Metroid. :awesome:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Xenoblade's director tweeting about the announcement makes me believe it will be Shulk, the character to be announced and that is fine, imo. Of course Ridley is my most wanted newcomer and I would love it to be revealed next week, but assuming another character will be announced will prevent myself from massive disappointments.
He's tweeted every other reveal if I'm correct, including the Smash direct. He's just a smash fan. It's still evidence in Shulk's favor though

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
Wait a minute, I just read the NintendoLife article regarding the matter and they say that there will be an actual countdown before the reveal. You know what franchise involves a lot of countdowns? Metroid. :awesome:
Yep. It [the countdown] is already on the Sm4sh website.

Edit: Best part about what's known so far about this reveal (which is almost absolutely nothing) is that if finally falls in a timeframe where my college classes aren't conflicting with the reveal.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

K, found this on Zelda Universe's Smash thread
Looking at the palutena reveal for example, it's 3 minutes and a couple of seconds, the time stated for this character reveal is three minutes, so I doubt it's a character that they will have to explain the changes, like the did the Yoshi in the Smash direct, so I doubt it's Ganondorf with a new moveset.

The fact that they are doing such a dramatic countdown makes me think it's gonna be a total powerhouse reveal like Ridley, but I don't want my hopes up (even though I don't really care about Ridley, I just want him cause it would make everyone happy) I just hope it's not a character I don't personally care about like this Shulk guy or Issac from Golden Sun
It actually makes sense, why hype an entire weekend just to Chrom or *cough*Chorus Men*cough*? I don't know if Shulk can be considered hype for Japan, if someone could show me the Japaese character's poll...

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
The best part of that article was probably "There seems to be a big announcement coming" imo, just made me want Ridley even more, haha

EDIT: also "so we naturally expect it to be something special." just sounds exciting too, even if that part was obvious, lol

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
It's either Shulk or Ridley, meaning I will like the reveal either way.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
K, found this on Zelda Universe's Smash thread

It actually makes sense, why hype an entire weekend just to Chrom or *cough*Chorus Men*cough*? I don't know if Shulk can be considered hype for Japan, if someone could show me the Japaese character's poll...
You have to remember, Sakurai is an idiot when revealing characters. And I mean AWFUL. He revealed Mii's and Palutena during the direct with 300k people watching. Palutena is arguably the least hype newcomer. But he reveals Pac-man.., FREAKING PACMAN in front of only 300? He's clueless sometimes if we're real.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
You have to remember, Sakurai is an idiot when revealing characters. And I mean AWFUL. He revealed Mii's and Palutena during the direct with 300k people watching. Palutena is arguably the least hype newcomer. But he reveals Pac-man.., FREAKING PACMAN in front of only 300? He's clueless sometimes if we're real.
He did that so you would lose faith in him similar to the april direct with ridley so that he can reveal Ridley.

R0Y

Smash Master
He's retweeted every direct so far (or at least most of them), even if XCX wasn't in it. It wouldn't surprise me either way, but yeah, I think it's Shulk.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
The best part of that article was probably "There seems to be a big announcement coming" imo, just made me want Ridley even more, haha
I'm sure they don't get the implications over there (Ridley supporters are few and far in between at that site last I checked), so I consider it an unintentional inside joke to us.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Palutena is to Japan what Little Mac was to the US in terms of popularity

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
He's tweeted every other reveal if I'm correct, including the Smash direct. He's just a smash fan. It's still evidence in Shulk's favor though
Nah, this is the first time he tweeted about a Smash-related Direct/streaming/whatever. Soraya Saga did tweet about this kind of stuff in the past, tho.
Palutena is to Japan what Little Mac was to the US in terms of popularity
Neither of them are that popular here or in Japan, to be fair :p

Last edited:

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure they don't get the implications over there (Ridley supporters are few and far in between at that site last I checked), so I consider it an unintentional inside joke to us.
Even so, it just made me smile, and made me a little more hyped for Ridley even if it wasn't intentional.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I'd think with a Ridley reveal Sakurai would need to address the stage boss -thing as well, and I'm not sure if that'll fit in this 3-minute-slot, which feels to me like nothing more than a character trailer like Palutena, Little Mac or Rosalina. I'm personally expecting Shulk like every other person here haha.

Or then making up excuses like this is to help me NOT get my hopes up and go and expect Ridley, just to be disappointed afterwards for being forced to wait yet again...

Top Bottom