• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Secret characters aren't really teased before release, and no other potential character has been teased as much as Ridley has.
My bet is Ridley at the August direct, or shown anticlimactically as a small slow boss in a POTD before that.
ROB was shown in the FZero stage in brawl before release - not exactly a blatant tease, but people noticed it and thought he was deconfirmed.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Secret characters aren't really teased before release, and no other potential character has been teased as much as Ridley has.
My bet is Ridley at the August direct, or shown anticlimactically as a small slow boss in a POTD before that.

Mr game and watch would like a word with you

But really if ridleys playable it will be in august its the last direct month before release in japan.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
You mean like when we considered Twinrova a boss until she was confirmed NOT to be one? :\

Ornes aren't even stage enemies, and the shark has been shown to not be a boss. Moving goalposts just to be difficult really isn't the best way to go about anything.
The Dark Emperor should not be considered to be a boss until Sakurai say otherwise, stage hazards in smash games have proven to have a lot of variety going from Birdo to the Fish from Baloon Fight to Bullet Bills, to have a few points similar to a boss is not enough to confirm the Dark Emperor as a boss, sure, he could be one, but as it stands right now he is as much as a boss than Ridley is.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
The Dark Emperor should not be considered to be a boss until Sakurai say otherwise, stage hazards in smash games have proven to have a lot of variety going from Birdo to the Fish from Baloon Fight to Bullet Bills, to have a few points similar to a boss is not enough to confirm the Dark Emperor as a boss, sure, he could be one, but as it stands right now he is as much as a boss than Ridley is.
But it was a boss character that appeared on a stage that obviously wasn't playable and we had screenshots of it vaguely interacting with players @.@

IT SEEMED LEGIT

Xhampi

Smash Lord
But it was a boss character that appeared on a stage that obviously wasn't playable and we had screenshots of it vaguely interacting with players @.@

IT SEEMED LEGIT
By that logic Birdo was a boss in Melee.
Why did I say Kraid ? @.@

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
IsmaR is the boss on the find Mii stage. Ridley is an assist trophy and K. Rool is the Pyrosphere boss. Dark Emperor is also playable and is the 7th Pokemon rep.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I actually believe that our discussion pertaining to Ridely will have an effect on how I perceive the game, and more importantly, our friendly neighborhood space dragon. It might not objectively influence anything; however, it will subjectively effect the game from my perspective.
:surprised:

:facepalm:

Still better than insulting toobigots but please...

Xhampi

Smash Lord
nuh-uhh. Kraid always stayed in the back-ground, even when he messed with the stage. We had clear shots of this guy both in the background, and leaping onto the main area.
Like Dialga in Brawl :

Anyway let's go back to Ridley before a mod scream at us.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
I have been watching this thread for a few weeks now, but only now made an account to take part in these interesting discussions. So, Hi! :)

I wanted to ask what your guys opinions were on the likelihood that Ridley would get a redesign of some kind, similar to Pit though obviously not in the same style. After being on Miiverse for awhile watching the same type of comments, I wondered why everyone seem convinced the only was he could get in, would be literally shrinking an existing model and using it.

This forum also has convinced me to create a Ridley plushie. I will update you when it is finished, or in progress.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
I have been watching this thread for a few weeks now, but only now made an account to take part in these interesting discussions. So, Hi! :)

I wanted to ask what your guys opinions were on the likelihood that Ridley would get a redesign of some kind, similar to Pit though obviously not in the same style. After being on Miiverse for awhile watching the same type of comments, I wondered why everyone seem convinced the only was he could get in, would be literally shrinking an existing model and using it.

This forum also has convinced me to create a Ridley plushie. I will update you when it is finished, or in progress.
Welcome to the splounge, and he's in 100%

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

A new model seems inevitable. Sakurai has a good eye for detail, so I'm expecting either a redesign of the ugly Other M model, or some kind of composite model using different iterations of Ridley.

If you've seen my previous size measurements, I use the Other M model partially because what we've seen so far points to some variation of that form, and mostly because my size measurements are based entirely on the thickness of that Ridley's tail.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
A new model seems inevitable. Sakurai has a good eye for detail, so I'm expecting either a redesign of the ugly Other M model, or some kind of composite model using different iterations of Ridley.

If you've seen my previous size measurements, I use the Other M model partially because what we've seen so far points to some variation of that form, and mostly because my size measurements are based entirely on the thickness of that Ridley's tail.
That is what I was imagining, but I wonder if Sakurai will go as far as he did with Pit, and in a sense, reinvent the character for Super Smash Bros? I would not necessarily mind that, I'm just curious what you all think.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
That is what I was imagining, but I wonder if Sakurai will go as far as he did with Pit, and in a sense, reinvent the character for Super Smash Bros? I would not necessarily mind that, I'm just curious what you all think.
Reinvent how? Pit had a sprite and a trophy before becoming playable. Ridley has had an established model and design for a while now.

PerfectChaos9

Smash Cadet

Welcome! I'm also new around here, but we can be both be Smash Cookies :troll:

I also think Ridley will get a redesign of some kind, and that it will be based off of his Other M model. Mostly only because of that glimpse of the tail we saw in the direct and the shape of his shadow in general.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Reinvent how? Pit had a sprite and a trophy before becoming playable. Ridley has had an established model and design for a while now.
That is what I mean. Pit, while not exactly a very significant character, had an established design in the art for his games, that show he was in for some reason, and the trophy in Melee. In Brawl, he was given a completely different image, and that changed even further in Uprising as his character become more, forgive the pun, 3 dimensional. I see what you mean though, Ridley does have a far more, established character then Pit did before Brawl. I am just wondering if he will do what I was imagining, a modified version of an existing Ridley, or go all out and a make a new, Sakuridley if you will.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Well then, as the unofficial Ridley lounge coffee giver, I salute you and give you coffee

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
That is what I mean. Pit, while not exactly a very significant character, had an established design in the art for his games, that show he was in for some reason, and the trophy in Melee. In Brawl, he was given a completely different image, and that changed even further in Uprising as his character become more, forgive the pun, 3 dimensional. I see what you mean though, Ridley does have a far more, established character then Pit did before Brawl. I am just wondering if he will do what I was imagining, a modified version of an existing Ridley, or go all out and a make a new, Sakuridley if you will.
I think it could definitely happen, it would be the first time Ridley was re-imagined.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
The water has Ridley DNA in it, if you drink it, you become one with Ridley and then we will have to serve you, which we cannot afford.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
plot twist

I'm the water

Don't drink the king emperor

So if I drink you, I become the new emperor? Interesting. >:D

Also, I'm having difficultly deciding what color Ridleys plush should be, he has alto of variants. Any suggestions?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Ridley: "I'll have you know that I belong to the most exclusive video game character clubs, all across the regions of space!"
Zero Suit Samus: "What did he say?"
Samus: "I dunno. Something about his bill."
Zero Suit Samus: "Ridley! You and your duckbill cannot fit in!"

xD

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Ideally, there would be a SSB Direct in August, and Ridley, King K. Rool and Mewtwo would all be revealed.

Sadly, the chances of that happening seem rather small.

If there's only one character to be revealed that month, it has to be Ridley.

Chrom and Shulk are predictable choices, and Chorus Men wouldn't bring hype (unless we're talking about those who are easily pleased here).

Go out with a bang for release. Ridley.

(He'll probably be a secret/hidden unlockable until post release)

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Ideally, there would be a SSB Direct in August, and Ridley, King K. Rool and Mewtwo would all be revealed.

Sadly, the chances of that happening seem rather small.

If there's only one character to be revealed that month, it has to be Ridley.

Chrom and Shulk are predictable choices, and Chorus Men wouldn't bring hype (unless we're talking about those who are easily pleased here).

Go out with a bang for release. Ridley.

(He'll probably be a secret/hidden unlockable until post release)
I am actually hoping he is not announced. I want him playable, but i want it to be a secret until a few weeks after. After all the too big comments go to overdrive, Ridley bursts forth from the shadows and...chaos ensues.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
If we get a reveal in August for Ridley (which I'm betting on), I think it will be at gamescom, or at least a Nintendo Direct alongside gamescom, which will be running from 13 - 17th of August. Saying that the Nintendo Direct for August last year was on the 7th, (gamescom 2013 was August 21 to 25). So could be sooner, don't know enough on gamescom though.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Ridley's reveal in August would be the most logical outcome due to all his teasing and buildup, but Sakurai isn't always one to follow logic, so... *shrugs*

Top Bottom