• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Someone in the comment said Ridley was 60 feet tall. Larger than a goddamned building.
That's a few times bigger than DARK META RIDLEY, who is already more than doubling up on Ridley's normal size.

Jesus, it's like once numbers get into the double digits they can no longer distinguish the difference between 10, 100 thousand, or 100 quadrillion. He's a good deal taller than a non-Ganondorf person at a bit over ten feet. That doesn't default him to being the Colossal Titan.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
That's a few times bigger than DARK META RIDLEY, who is already more than doubling up on Ridley's normal size.

Jesus, it's like once numbers get into the double digits they can no longer distinguish the difference between 10, 100 thousand, or 100 quadrillion. He's a good deal taller than a non-Ganondorf person at a bit over ten feet. That doesn't default him to being the Colossal Titan.
Ridley was secretly...

the flying kaiju in the recent Godzilla movie

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
The problem I have with Other M Ridley being in is that he is too sexualized. Look at those bulging muscles, man...those thighs, arms, and pects. They are clearly bulked up a bit from past iterations. Don't try to deny it. This is goes above and beyond Captain Falcon or Snake or SSBM Ganondorf levels. Clearly the designers were aiming to take it up a notch and exploit the female audience with this despicable design. Look at the way Ridley moves too, with each move showing off all the meat he's got on his bones. I wouldn't be surprised if they had some female gaze shots here and there. Plus he's not wearing ANY clothes. I can so see them pulling a Top Gun volleyball-esque or shirtless Twilight-esque cutscene in the story mode just for fanservice. I mean dang son, I don't want to see this kind of garbage happen to the likes of R.O.B. or Mr. Game & Watch, that would be horrible. I should write a blog or ask for Anita Sarkeesian to make more videos about poor male character representation. That should create change.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
The problem I have with Other M Ridley being in is that he is too sexualized. Look at those bulging muscles, man...those thighs, arms, and pects. They are clearly bulked up a bit from past iterations. Don't try to deny it. This is goes above and beyond Captain Falcon or Snake or SSBM Ganondorf levels. Clearly the designers were aiming to take it up a notch and exploit the female audience with this despicable design. Look at the way Ridley moves too, with each move showing off all the meat he's got on his bones. I wouldn't be surprised if they had some female gaze shots here and there. Plus he's not wearing ANY clothes. I can so see them pulling a Top Gun volleyball-esque or shirtless Twilight-esque cutscene in the story mode just for fanservice. I mean dang son, I don't want to see this kind of garbage happen to the likes of R.O.B. or Mr. Game & Watch, that would be horrible. I should write a blog or ask for Anita Sarkeesian to make more videos about poor male character representation. That should create change.
...Did you just say that Ridley is fanservice to the female fanbase?!

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
In the pic of the day that showed Nabbit, did it really say he was a hazard? Could it be he was just an assist trophy that comes out and tosses people into his bag and runs them around while they take damage?

I mention this cause if he's not stated to be a hazard then it could have just been an assist trophy that hadn't been in the demo, instead of a hazard. Which would mean if Ridley not being in the Pyrosphere stage wouldn't have really meant much... I realize this train of thought doesn't really go to any place of merit. I should go to sleep.

Last edited:

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
In the pic of the day that showed Nabbit, did it really say he was a hazard? Could it be he was just an assist trophy that comes out and tosses people into his bag and runs them around while they take damage?
Sakurai said that he specifically appeared in the Mushroom Kingdom U stage, which implies that he'll be appearing exclusively on that stage.. So I'm guessing he's a "stage hazard," or more appropriately a "stage character," if you will.

More along the lines of Birdo or Pidget in Mushroom: Kingdom II in Melee than the Yellow Devil in Dr. Wily's Castle. Whether he can take damage or not is debatable/yet to be seen.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
It's specifically said it appears on Mushroom Kingdom U, implying it's a feature exclusive to that stage. Seeing how Nabbit was nowhere to be seen in the E3 demo, it debunks the theory that states that Pyrosphere wasn't included because Ridley was incomplete (which is a dumb statement on its own)

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Well I mean...

What lady would resist that?

(Credits go to @Crocovile )
-___- Oh God, really? I don't even find anything attractive on that thing on steroids....I find it....meh...., and the Original Ridley may be anorexic, but at least he doesn't have to be overly muscular to show he is strong physically.....and he's very unique in so many ways, and has a beauty and elegance in his designs along with "bada**ery"...and has a great intelligence the he doesn't need to show speaking...just his actions.

-u- I know it was a joke....but I couldn't help it....I love him too much....

xD And if Majora says he's my husbando/waifu thing....eh, what can I say? I'm literally married to him....

and If someone doesn't know.....I'm female...so yeah, I'm the exception.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Sounds similar to something...something about heels...for some reasons...i don`t know why...do you know why?

Anyway, Ridley at least is not a common manly villain with muscles, evil laugh, evil plan, muscles, red eyes, muscles...and muscles...and with muscles...well...maybe Roidley has muscles, but he is still kinda...um...skinny...anorexic...whatever and it is visible - his ribs are visible. But i would like to hear him laugh. At least once.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
when I said they wanted to club me, I said that because of all the hate I got, I don't have a link, but it is in my miiverse posts as I won't get rid of it

Ridley was only ever made sort of big so he'd be possible to actually target and shoot down, which is already decently hard due to his tail blocking all attacks. In Metroid 1 it's so damn hard to get through to him because of his fireball spamming and his small size.
You can get under him and shot upwards while jumping, the lava is less damaging than Ridley so there

This is my Fan Art of Ridley!
View attachment 17613
sassy Ridley, on the spot!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well I mean...

What lady would resist that?

(Credits go to @Crocovile )
So I know the people fascinated (and attracted at times) to anthropomorphic mammals are called "furries."

So... what would those attracted to anthropomorphic/slightly humanoid reptiles (us, I guess) be called?

Also Ridley still needs to work on his Traps and Neck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Hey RealTalker's waz up.

Waz gonna say am i the only one expecting a second developer like direct? (smash info blow out)?

Keep a eye on this month if its dry bones & we dont get nothing like in March then they maybe a blow out in august for the JPN Release.

a theory of mine is that he doesnt like spoilers but because we are in the techno age by JPN release everyone will know everything...so why not have the pleasure of officially announcing maybe not all stuff but another round of goodness.

Another thing thats been on my mind more than anything is he kept holding back on telling us what the connectivity between the 2 versions will do...i thought all in good time he will tell us...but then i thought if he is waiting till one of the versions drops first it must be a huge secret feature if so then at the E3 Roundtable he indeed announced that he will let us know after the 3DS version releases + Couple that With Gematsu saying there is a plan for DLC.....

ow my.....something big is being hidden in the WiiU version that we will only know in October thats when the game will be out everywhere for 3DS also its a bimonthly N-Direct month.

Thoughts?

I was bored and it's been awhile since I posted here so, here's a surprise essay on the "too big" argument. Since it's meant to be a realtalk, you know what it means: EARTHBOUND AMBIANCE!!!

< REALTALK >

Well, no matter how I see it or no matter how I want ridley, I'm still wondering how it got THAT huge.

Like seriously, this argument getting talked form time to time or briefly, ok that would make sense because it's understandable that not all people check the other side and thus, need explanation. However, the fact that it's CONSTANTLY being talked is what is probably one of the most impressive debate condition EVER.

There's a part that is subjective though: the look he would have after getting downsized. Even considering the melee trophy, that doesn't mean that all people would like that as playable that would depends how you see him.

BUT, the fact that it would not be possible to resize him FOR THE ONLY reason that he's canonically a huge sized boss IS SO OBJECTIVELY FALSE.

That's not even arguable, no alternative, no negotiation. You don't even have to point out the bowser instance, you would just need to say: "Because Smash isn't canon, the elements may alter from their original game to suit the need of the game." That's true because you don't HAVE to get the EXACT content of ANY game to put THE SAME content into ANOTHER game. That's not even just for characters even stages and I'll go as far to say music since some are remixed.

Like, honestly, the fact that this thread still has to bring facts like this leaves me speechless. Even the brawl rep (which I made my point awhile ago: SSE + dynablade = only a boss because of how he looked like dynablade) doesn't destroy that because, well, what does it have to do with him NOW? He WAS a boss so, is there any reason that he HAVE to be a boss NOW because he WAS a boss? It's like saying that smash will never change but it actually needs to change to not feel repetitive.

huh... I legitimately wonder if this thread got that much pages for stuff like this. It's really depressing for me to even think that what I said above had to be used multiple time before to make people realise that it's not relevant. Because honestly, if I did think that ridley wouldn't make sense playable, I would've at least be subjective because that would literally be an opinion. Here, it's like stated as false fact every single time so you shouldn't even need to argue with this. How could I possibly make sense if what I'm stating is impossible to interpret with the correct facts?

Actually, look at how it's stated; it's exactly what happens: "Ridley is too big to be playable!", "Ridley was made to be a boss!", "You can't resize ridley because he was made to be big!", "Ridley is..." okay you get the idea but there's tons of instances that you may (and should not) have seen that has always this in common: it is stated as false fact.

So, just this is fascinating. Can anyone tell me why it got worse? Ah right... because he was in danger which means more discussion. And what these discussions still had because of that "argument"? It is stated as facts again and you know what it means: even more people are even more ENTITLED to think that he CAN'T be in smash. Not WON'T or SHOULDN'T but CAN'T; it just goes downhill like that. The direct got that even worse as if it wasn't enough (I had to wait a full MONTH to do a big essay on him at E3 because of how it was just impossible to tell it and then having to do it again after it was already said anyway).

There IS actually legit and subjective opinions against him that was probably discussed already and those should be considered and argued more carefully. But not that, it's not even worth it just stating the right fact is enough and that's not arguing, that's correcting.

All this text to say that I HIGHLY respect how this thread is handling this. To still not losing interests of support after all this is awesome. You're seriously though and your 1k pages was well deserved.

< / REALTALK >

Ouf, this one was long but I like this SO MUCH :p

His chances? Frankly, I don't know any more. The direct is now perfect 50/50 for me and the demo could go either way. I'll say by words: I think that Ridley has "GOOD" chance to be playable in Super Smash Bros 4. No percent because I hate arbirtrary numbers but you get that it's above 50. I believe that the purpose was hidden for a very good reason and at this point, I just think that hazard isn't THAT worthy for that. I didn't say "GREAT" because it's still worthy, in a way. I just don't agree with this way and also, I'm more doubtful. Before, I may have said "GREAT" or "BIG" but now, I just want to be safe and realistic.

I still kinda want him though. Not that much but you got to agree that either way, it would be delicious to watch this thread.
You are learning the Art of Talking Real very fast.

You are learning my son :)
i am so proud

Last edited by a moderator:

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
So I know the people fascinated (and attracted at times) to anthropomorphic mammals are called "furries."

So... what would those attracted to anthropomorphic/slightly humanoid reptiles (us, I guess) be called?.
I think the most appropiate term would be "Scalies".

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135

Who can pull it off better, Ridley or Samus?

I think the closest we would get to shirtless twilight territory is Little Mac or king k. Kool

[Collapse=Don't open]
[/collapse]

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just made this in photoshop. If the argument is that Ridley's canon size is too big and it would look weird if it were scaled down, then why would they scale down the stage hazard? http://imgur.com/PjCre5z
It's okay to resize him if he's a boss, but he still can't be playable even if he was smaller than Olimar because Ridley is the embodiment of exception

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It's because a mod moved that post to here from somewhere else, so you must have been watching the thread it was originally posted in, and the forum glitched.

and they both have shadows. Don't forget shadows.
But even that is different because Ridley's shadow is different and automaticly shows he's too big whether he is or not.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
But even that is different because Ridley's shadow is different and automaticly shows he's too big whether he is or not.
You couldn't be more wrong.

We don't nee Ridley's shadow to show if he's too big or not. He was too big long before his shadow was shown. In fact, some historians believe he was too big at the dawn of time, as well. The toobigotry was inside us, all along!

Outlander

Smash Rookie
It's okay to resize him if he's a boss, but he still can't be playable even if he was smaller than Olimar because Ridley is the embodiment of exception
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not. I do not understand why it would be alright if Boss ridley was rescaled and why it would be bad if fighter ridley was rescaled. Is it because you wouldnt see him as much?

D

Deleted member

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not. I do not understand why it would be alright if Boss ridley was rescaled and why it would be bad if fighter ridley was rescaled. Is it because you wouldnt see him as much?
It's because Sakurai would never scary little kids by making him playable, they would think it's ridiculous a scaled down Ridley, that's why Waluigi will never be playable, because he's way too ugly, making him a boss won't scare little kids because I say so and if you disagree, you're delusional, now, if you allow me, I'm going to request Goku, Shrek and Shadow at the comment section of Sakurai's Miiverse post because if he doesn't add them I'll tell everyone to not buy the game and Nintendo will be doomed and they'll have to make games for XBoner and PS4000 with Goku and Shrek as playable characters, Ridley won't be in the ggame becase he's 10x bigger than ur mum
My goodness, stupidness is contagious

majora_787

Smash Hero
and he's very unique in so many ways, and has a beauty and elegance in his designs along with "bada**ery"...and has a great intelligence the he doesn't need to show speaking...just his actions.

-u- I know it was a joke....but I couldn't help it....I love him too much....

xD And if Majora says he's my husbando/waifu thing....eh, what can I say? I'm literally married to him....
:smirk:

I'm still amazed that people can even use such mindless and obviously wrong arguments as the entirety of their arguments and then they call OTHER people who KNOW they're stupid "delusional". Like, 90% of arguments I have heard are not even remotely valid and are just implicating Ridley to be The Exception to an easily understood rule.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Now I want a picture of Rudley.

It's Ridley, but he's just incredibly rude all the time, for no reason.

Hey Samus, whats up? How are your parents doing?
Samus: *Lethal Strikes Ridley* My parents are deaaaaaaaad!

Ridley: Hey, Samus. What did your parents gave you as a christmas prese-
Samus: *slaps Ridley* My parents are deaaaaaad!

Samus: Hey, Ridley, how is Kraid doi-
Ridley: *punches Samus in the face* MY COMRADE KRAID IS DEAAAAAD AND YOU WILL BE DEAD SOON TOO!

Chozo: Hey, Old Bird, what`s up with Metr-
Old Bird: *throws a book into that Chozo`s face* HE IS NOT FINISHEEEEED!

Mother Brain: Hey, Sakurai, is Ridley playa-
Sakurai: *turns Mother Brain into assist throphy* HERE IS RIDLEY`S SHADOW I PREPARED FOR NINTENDO DIRECT!

Last edited:
Top Bottom