• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I know I've brought it up numerous times. Ridley in the direct acts EXTREMELY unbosslike, especially with grabbing Pikachu thoroughly in question. He very slowly floats left, stops, continues floating left, jumps back and to the right slowly, and in all of that time doesn't attack OR move quickly at the very least?

Even when bosses jump it is more like a rocket jump offscreen before they come and slam people into the pavement or rocket across the screen. The Ridley in the direct is moving slightly faster than Pikachu's half-walk. Extremely unimpressive for a boss. If this is a boss, they seriously messed up designing a good boss. Instead of giving us a boss in the form of a large and agile cunning god of death, this boss is more like a Bowser-sized Scyphozoa.

The fact that people ACCEPT this information as a BETTER and MORE LIKELY outcome than a playable character is horrifying, considering this is blatantly awful boss design.
Just for some reference to back up your points:

It really makes you think, doesn't it?

majora_787

Smash Hero
The thing is, Pyrosphere seems to be the same size as Ridley's boss platform. So we have a half-sized Ridley on the same stage, with some PLATFORMS thrown in. They then float lazily across the stage without attacking AT ALL in ten seconds.

He's gone from being a third or a fourth of his stage and having quick and dirty scraping and lunging attacks to being a NINTH or a TENTH of his stage and floating lazily through the skies and hopping like a playable character for altitude.

What *is* this? It's the reason I'd be disappointed if he's a boss, for starters.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Is it just me, or does Ridley's shadow (I know, so much of an accurate proportion) look smaller than he was compared to Pikachu in the boss battle from Brawl. I don't know, just something I noticed when searching for those support videos.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Is it just me, or does Ridley's shadow (I know, so much of an accurate proportion) look smaller than he was compared to Pikachu in the boss battle from Brawl. I don't know, just something I noticed when searching for those support videos.
Probably because Pikachu went from taking up a 4th or so of what would have been Bossley's shadow in Brawl to taking up half or so of it.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Inb4 August Direct shows Roidley as a hazard, only for him to be immediately mutilated by playable Ridley.
Maybe not quite like that, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Sakurai pulled another ZSS and said during the Direct, "Here's Ridley, the boss of Pyrosphere. This means sadly, he won't be playable... Just kidding!"

It's either that, or a new Metroid trailer fake-out like Rosalina's bait-n-switch with Mario Kart (I was so hoping Kirby would be in 8 during that trailer too).

majora_787

Smash Hero
People thought Rosalina's trailer was a bait-n-switch? xD Sometimes I feel like I'm one of a small number who sees the Smash Bros. cut-aways they put in front of all of the trailers, because people always jump out and go "WHAT IT WASN'T ANOTHER KID ICARUS ANIME?" or "WHAT IT WASN'T KIRBY AIR RIDE 2?" or "WHAT? IT WASN'T PHONE?" and I dunno.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The Rosalina trailer actually didn't have the Smash Bros cut n' flames at the beginning when it was shown in the Direct, they cut that part, so it came off as pretty misleading.

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
People thought Rosalina's trailer was a bait-n-switch? xD Sometimes I feel like I'm one of a small number who sees the Smash Bros. cut-aways they put in front of all of the trailers, because people always jump out and go "WHAT IT WASN'T ANOTHER KID ICARUS ANIME?" or "WHAT IT WASN'T KIRBY AIR RIDE 2?" or "WHAT? IT WASN'T PHONE?" and I dunno.
*raises hand*
I... I was expecting an Air Ride 2...

Or Kirby guest appearance in Mario Kart 8...

One of those... before Rosalina & Luma popped up... ;~;

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Kirby seemed pretty out of place in that trailer, either way.

And, yeah, I think the majority would've rather had Air Ride 2 or Kirby in Mario Kart 8. Rosalina in Smash is just...eugh.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
It was pretty obviously a smash trailer to me, idk. I was expecting it for a while, I guess. I wasn't sure what direction they were going in at first, I was afraid it was gonna be a fourth kirby character or something, but I was happy with how it turned out.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I saw the cut-in when I watched the direct. I was mostly just fooled in the sense that at first I thought it was a Kirby newcomer. But then I saw rainbow road and was wondering if it was a stage. But then the blue light kind of gave it away really fast.

EDIT: I remember people saying there wasn't a cut-in at E3 2013 or E3 2014 either, but I saw the cut-ins before Villager and Palutena as well. I dunno what they are or were doing.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
We really shouldn't expect more than a newcomer unless it turns out to be another Smash-centric direct. Which I doubt it will be personally, but who can say really.

EDIT: Have games ever had multiple dedicated directs before?
At this point I think 100% for sure there will be another sm4sh direct. Sakurai said he would talk about the interconnectivity between the versions, and he hasn't yet, he anounced a new mode in a potd and said he would explain it later but hasn't yet, and we saw like 6 or 7 new modes in the smash bros. 3ds trailer at e3 via a montage and they haven't been explained yet either. It would take too much of a nintendo direct to explain all of it in a regular one. I'm almost positive there will be another smash bros direct in August.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
At this point I think 100% for sure there will be another sm4sh direct. Sakurai said he would talk about the interconnectivity between the versions, and he hasn't yet, he anounced a new mode in a potd and said he would explain it later but hasn't yet, and we saw like 6 or 7 new modes in the smash bros. 3ds trailer at e3 via a montage and they haven't been explained yet either. It would take too much of a nintendo direct to explain all of it in a regular one. I'm almost positive there will be another smash bros direct in August.
And it will end with a big surprise.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

:troll: Big Purple Surprise :troll:
Did you forgot something? Waluigi time...is over.

Anyway, i don`t care about that guy, so, i am not sad or mad about it.
Dark meta omega roidley with a side of fries
Radioactive Mutant Dark Super Ultra Gold Extra Meta Mecha Robot Giant Ridley`s clone`s clone with Slenderman`s clothes/suit.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
THIS is truly BIG purple surprise:

...well...not really purple...that breaks that attempt to follow your "BIG purple surprize" joke...but h3 15 st1ll n0t 45 b1g 45 R1dl3y :troll: Even if he is as big as a common city. For giant robots.

...i will replace it with something purple next time.
I see nothing....xD

Shagadelic_Baby

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5112-4301-7728
So I've been thinking (Hard to believe, I know.), and I think Ridley will be revealed next month. The whole "Ridley is a stage boss" thing will be either confirmed or deconfirmed once the game comes out in Japan, the roster will most likely be leaked, and we'll see if Ridley truely is playable or not. And I believe Sakurai knows this. Also, if Ridley is playable, there's no reason to keep him hidden, because the whole "Pyrosphere has Ridley as a stage hazard!" thing will be disconfirmed from the moment the character is unlocked. I guess we'll see next month!
:4pacman:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I see nothing....xD
Well, it were supposed to be a very large image of a certain giant (but n0t 45 b1g 45 R1dl3y) robot Godzilla not from Godzilla movies. But something in that link causes it to fu- *notices something*
Oh, right, THAT is the surprise - you don`t know what it is.

Waiting for August is already very boring...

AndreaAC

Well, it were supposed to be a very large image of a certain giant (but n0t 45 b1g 45 R1dl3y) robot Godzilla not from Godzilla movies. But something in that link causes it to fu- *notices something*
Oh, right, THAT is the surprise - you don`t know what it is.

Waiting for August is already very boring...
Oh, ok! and you tell me.....waiting for August is boring for me not just because I expect the direct and Rids, but because everyone except me is on vacations....and I have to wait until August to only have 2 goddamned weeks....but oh well, I hope to be able to draw Ridley stuff on these weeks....that if I don't have an "artblock".

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I was wondering if I was the only who thought I heard Ridley's "Brawl Roar" in the few seconds of footage we had with his shadow.

Because according to some people, we didn't hear anything else except for the Wily's Castle theme.

AndreaAC

I was wondering if I was the only who thought I heard Ridley's "Brawl Roar" in the few seconds of footage we had with his shadow.

Because according to some people, we didn't hear anything else except for the Wily's Castle theme.
I wish I could agree with you...but at the time of that direct, I was so nervous, and when the part of the shadow came I was just in shock and I was telling myself that Sakurai would reveal him later...but it didn't happen, so, I couldn't hear anything besides the music...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So I've been thinking (Hard to believe, I know.), and I think Ridley will be revealed next month. The whole "Ridley is a stage boss" thing will be either confirmed or deconfirmed once the game comes out in Japan, the roster will most likely be leaked, and we'll see if Ridley truely is playable or not. And I believe Sakurai knows this. Also, if Ridley is playable, there's no reason to keep him hidden, because the whole "Pyrosphere has Ridley as a stage hazard!" thing will be disconfirmed from the moment the character is unlocked. I guess we'll see next month!
:4pacman:
No, it'll get disconfirmed the moment someone plays Pyrosphere and Ridley isn't in it. I agree, next month is the ideal time to reveal Ridley.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Ridley haters make no sense whatsoever. They still cling to the stupid "Too Big" counter but that's been debunked for ages and even by Sakurai himself.

Their most popular one after too big is "The boss version of Ridley isn't complete yet. That's why he hasn't been showed as a boss yet".

Wtf!? Why would it take sakurai more then 9 months to show a shadow of a character? If Ridley was a boss sakurai would have flat out deconfirmed Ridley and said something like "hey everyone Ridley returns back as a stage boss on Pyrosphere. Beware Ridley is one vicious creature that will attack anyone he spots."

Ridley in my opinion is gonna be playable. So much vagueness and avoiding Ridley sakurai is doing. Can't wait to see his reveal trailer soon. :)

D

Deleted member

The comments are so toxic it hurts! it just proves my point that no matter how much evidence you present, they won't accept it

majora_787

Smash Hero
The comments are so toxic it hurts! it just proves my point that no matter how much evidence you present, they won't accept it
Anti-Ridleys are basically vampires. And common sense and logical discussion are basically ionized garlic covered in stakes that spews holy water whenever an anti-Ridley giggles at a fart joke.

So yeah it's... really kind of a disturbing mess. It reminds me a LOT of the phantom thing actually, and how "there was no way it was a move and it had to be an assist trophy" despite very basic evidence that was available at the time.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Anti-Ridleys are basically vampires. And common sense and logical discussion are basically ionized garlic covered in stakes that spews holy water whenever an anti-Ridley giggles at a fart joke.

So yeah it's... really kind of a disturbing mess. It reminds me a LOT of the phantom thing actually, and how "there was no way it was a move and it had to be an assist trophy" despite very basic evidence that was available at the time.
I had the same people claiming that to me about Ike returning. "There's NO WAY Ike will return in this game." Two weeks later...

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Honestly, the whole reason I'm more doubtful than I was before E3 (was almost sure he would be revealed playable at E3), is actually because he wasn't talked at E3 which leaves me with this important question: WHEN WILL WE KNOW LIKE SERIOUSLY???

If it wasn't enough for E3, what events or moment will? Random potd would only be ok if hazard but playable? Even a smash direct would be less hype than E3 so when? Post release? I can't tell and I don't know any more because now, he's free to make us wait how long he wants if he didn't intended to show him at E3. He seriously could make us wait until the game is released because E3 was probably the most hype moment smash could get.

The point I'm trying to tell is that even if I'm still on the playable side, my evidences aren't solid as they were before. Sure, there's that weird behaviour and size but even then, they can go either way and both of them would makes sense to some extent. The point where I'm leaving towards playable is the suspicious demo and the how worthy the purpose would be. The fact that it was a really showed stage and that only 1 stage (wii fit trainer one) was revealed before (and wasn't showed that much) makes the fact that the stage isn't in the demo really suspicious. It's very clear for me that he's trying to hide information but I don't think that hiding him as a stage hazard wouldn't even worth to show the shadow in the direct. It's not even the kind of info I see getting hidden but I see the info of him being playable getting hidden.

The problem with that logic is it's even more subjective: there's really nothing that proves (if it was to hide info) why doing such things at E3. There's really nothing that suggest that (if hazard) he would be ready to show. Because just the fact that he wouldn't be ready would justify this. The change in the final destination form proves me that they are still changing stuff so... it's stil possible. There's even the possibility of not putting the stage to simply do what a demo should: give a sneak peak of the game therefore, making the build limited in contents. If it was because of the latter, this would make this evidence completely irrelevant and thus, leaving me even more in the dark (maybe I wouldn't even be able to tell what would make more sense for me towards his fate).

This is why I'm more doubtful because my opinion is based on an evidence that I can't know if it's relevant or not. So, it's not reliable and basically, I'm back to the start: "It can go either way".

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Two weeks later...
Rudley confirmed :troll:

ANY video that supports Ridley is doomed to be flooded by comments left by idiots that ignore common sense b3c4u53 c0mm0n 53n53 15 f0r d3lu510n4l 1d10t5!

It is like being forced to play Ghost `N Goblins or Transformers Mystery of Convoy - it is frustrating as hell and will end only when you will beat the game/when Ridley will officialy be confirmed as a playable character.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5

We just had a major 3rd party reveal quietly revealed via twitter from a closed press conference after E3 was for all intents and purposes done for the day.

If they thought a normal direct was better than E3 for revealing Ridley I wouldn't be even 1% surprised.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5

We just had a major 3rd party reveal quietly revealed via twitter from a closed press conference after E3 was for all intents and purposes done for the day.

If they thought a normal direct was better than E3 for revealing Ridley I wouldn't be even 1% surprised.
You have a point but then again, I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't showed on any direct which still makes this random. Because he could make us wait post release so even if there's a direct, he could just skip that. However, if he starts to hype that direct for suspicious reasons towards ridley, then that's another story...

Top Bottom