• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

majora_787

Smash Hero
Just saw Shokio listed on the main page. Didn't realize he had an account here. Makes me wonder why I haven't seen him in here.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. . . . . . . . .
Means as ridiculous as he is and how unbelievably bad his excuses for things are, he's at least smarter than the average detractor who does come in here to go "WHY DOES THIS THREAD DON EXITS RODNEY R DECONFURM UR DUM FACES R TURN INTO NILES" or whatever shenanigans go down here once in a while. As if that's going to go well in the "Ridley for SSB4" thread, and everyone is going to agree with them when they act like that or something.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Funny you say that, considering Meta Ridley's wings in Prime are freaking humongous.

Compared to his Brawl model.
Both Ridley and Meta Ridley's wings are scaled down in the renders in comparison to their in-game counterparts.

This is Meta Ridley's actual wingspan in Brawl:

Still not Prime big, but much bigger than the render version. Same goes for his tail.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So does this mean that Ridley in Brawl was never too big to begin with?
Technically no. But he is still a lot bigger than any playable character:

...Maybe i shouldn`t have posted that...but whatever. Who cares for what happened in the past game if different model with different, small size is used in current one.
That's not proof, he can be scaled differently in the actual game. You'd have to look at gameplay to compare them properly.
Brawl can scale objects only with items (playable characters only), model`s default size and with animations. His scale values never change in his animations, so, he stays at that size. Its hard to compare them in actual game because of the way they are posed/animated. This method is flawless/absolute/whatever.

Last edited:

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Brawl can scale objects only with items (playable characters only), model`s default size and with animations. His scale values never change in his animations, so, he stays at that size. Its hard to compare them in actual game because of the way they are posed/animated. This method is flawless/absolute/whatever.
I'm hoping that means you've seen every single line of coding pertaining to Ridley in the game. Because otherwise that wouldn't mean anything.

I wasn't saying that you were wrong though, just that it would be better to do this:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Technically no. But he is still a lot bigger than any playable character:

...Maybe i shouldn`t have posted that...but whatever. Who cares for what happened in the past game if different model with different, small size is used in current one.

Looks like there's a greater size difference between Giga Bowser and Regular Bowser than Brawl's Ridley and Angelglory's Ridley.

Smash character size compare3.png

I find it interesting that Giga Bowser is still somewhat larger in that picture.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Looks like there's a greater size difference between Giga Bowser and Regular Bowser than Brawl's Ridley and Angelglory's Ridley.

View attachment 17251

I find it interesting that Giga Bowser is still somewhat larger in that picture.
And that's before you consider that Ridley would never be standing straight up like that anyway.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I'm hoping that means you've seen every single line of coding pertaining to Ridley in the game. Because otherwise that wouldn't mean anything.

I wasn't saying that you were wrong though, just that it would be better to do this:

Ok, i replicated those screenshots...kinda. Ridley and Meta Ridley seems to be exactly same in size, but it looks like they are bigger than they are in the game...maybe its just me. Look at them by yourself:

There is absolutely no reason for me to fake them somehow since i support Ridley.
I never seen something being bigger in this game than it actually is.

View attachment 17251

Some of the models used are closer to the camera than others. Or you (that image`s author) somehow prevented models from clipping even while they are very close to each other.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
A Mod can both edit an OP, as well as change who owns the thread easily enough. However, first you need the permission of the original thread owner (I imagine enough inactivity on the forums period would qualify), then a mod who overlooks the section (technically any mod can on the forum code SWF is run on, but it's bad taste to mod other sections that aren't your own) would make the simple switch to make a new user the thread owner. They can also rearrange posts and even create new posts using your account, but that's beside the point.

If you guys want to make a nice OP, the first thing would be to decide someone to run it, then discuss it with Oasis and get his permission, and then Ismar or another mod can then make the changes. I do imagine it's also frowned upon though for Ismar to say, edit the OP without Oasis' say so.
Bingo. I wouldn't be opposed to the idea if the OP switch was consensual. Oasis still lurks here, just not as often in this thread.

I feel like a joke was made off of this some while ago...

If not someone should make it happen.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'll admit that I've hardly played Mega Man, but I have known about the characters and some of the more infamous bosses in the series. I've never heard of Yellow Devil until the E3 2013 event.
The guy's not only iconic, but has shown up in a good chunk of Mega Man games in many shapes in forms. If Wily is Mother Brain and Bass was Ridley, the Yellow Devil and the Devil series in general would be Kraid.

And that's not even getting into the variant Devil series.

Point is, just because a character pops up in a good majority of games doesn't mean they're important enough to be made playable. It'd be easy for a developer to take a quick glance at Metroid and think of Ridley as just a reoccurring iconic boss like the Yellow Devil instead of a major character tied to Samus's past.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Bingo. I wouldn't be opposed to the idea if the OP switch was consensual. Oasis still lurks here, just not as often in this thread.

I used to love that show

Then they made that awful White House spin off, Kraid in the House.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Ok, i replicated those screenshots...kinda. Ridley and Meta Ridley seems to be exactly same in size, but it looks like they are bigger than they are in the game...maybe its just me. Look at them by yourself:

There is absolutely no reason for me to fake them somehow since i support Ridley.
I never seen something being bigger in this game than it actually is.
No, that's definitely not just you. I'm seeing it too. Where is the lack of scaling that you're mentioning coming from? The models aren't the only thing that can be scaled. The root bone of the skeleton/armature is all that would need to be touched, and the whole model would change with it.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The guy's not only iconic, but has shown up in a good chunk of Mega Man games in many shapes in forms. If Wily is Mother Brain and Bass was Ridley, the Yellow Devil and the Devil series in general would be Kraid.

Point is, just because a character pops up in a good majority of games doesn't mean they're important enough to be made playable. It'd be easy for a developer to take a quick glance at Metroid and think of Ridley as just a reoccurring iconic boss like the Yellow Devil instead of a major character tied to Samus's past.

The difference being that no other Metroid character comes immediately to mind as a plausible newcomer to Smash. Even a Mega Man n00b can name at least 5 characters they think could be cool in Smash without even resorting to secondary/obscure Robot Masters. Aside from Ridley, Metroid fans have literally 3 options (Adam, Anthony and a generic Space Pirate) outside of the Hunters (both from Hunters and Prime 3) and the now disconfirmed Dark Samus. None of which even come close to being the "Bass" that Ridley is. I don't doubt the scenario you suggest would be the case if he didn't make it in for a 3rd time, but it would be an incredibly big (huehue) missed opportunity to just leave it being Samus & Samus.

...All these Metroid sitcom ideas are making me sad they're not a real thing.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
No, that's definitely not just you. I'm seeing it too. Where is the lack of scaling that you're mentioning coming from? The models aren't the only thing that can be scaled. The root bone of the skeleton/armature is all that would need to be touched, and the whole model would change with it.
I looked in their animations and none of the scale values were changed. I were looking at TopN, RotN, XRotN, YRotN, TransN, HipN and other bones like that - scale is 1. Maybe they are scaled in their code...its impossible to look into his code anyway.

I can imagine Metroid sitcom too - with Ridley and just Space Pirates as main characters and Samus as a cameo character that appears in each episode without having any real role other than for example buying some milk...that is kinda weird...

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I looked in their animations and none of the scale values were changed. I were looking at TopN, RotN, XRotN, YRotN, TransN, HipN and other bones like that - scale is 1. Maybe they are scaled in their code...its impossible to look into his code anyway.

I can imagine Metroid sitcom too - with Ridley and just Space Pirates as main characters and Samus as a cameo character that appears in each episode without having any real role other than for example buying some milk...that is kinda weird...
Ridley__s_Confections.jpg

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Well, I don't know then. But looking at screenshots, they DO seem to be the same size. It's little differences in their designs that make Meta Ridley come off as smaller. Like the neck thickness and the shape of the torso. And obviously the wings.

This needs to happen now.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
So, new name. Yay? Nay?

Wait is this thread 20 pages further than the last time I visited? I'm not even surprised.
It's what I've been used to addressing you as for awhile now anyway, so yay.

Sakurai knows of Ridley being a major enemy tied to Samus's past though, but yeah.

Something like a Metroid sitcom is what I always try to think of when rewatching things like the Super Mario Brothers Super Show admittedly (the live action bits anyway). I'd just want some kind of Metroid material on TV to redeem what we got on Captain N years back at least, even if it's not a full-blown show.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Oh, i completly forgot something about that sitcom - in each episode, at least 1 Space Pirate must die from something like using Metroid as a ball for basket ball or testing Space Pirates` Brand New Reverse-Engineared Space Jump prototype without anyone really noticing that...please, someone, make at least flash animations based on that!
This is EXACTLY what i wanted to post and what i was searching for before you posted it...weird...

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Oh, i completly forgot something about that sitcom - in each episode, at least 1 Space Pirate must die from something like using Metroid as a ball for basket ball or testing Space Pirates` Brand New Reverse-Engineared Space Jump prototype without anyone really noticing that...please, someone, make at least flash animations based on that!

This is EXACTLY what i wanted to post and what i was searching for before you posted it...weird...
then some pirates are going to die like this: (I DID NOT MAKE THE ANIMATION, it was one of the many things stored on my USB)
tumblr_n77z3qLD3y1s8qmyco1_400.gif

Last edited:

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman
then some pirates are going to die like this: (I DID NOT MAKE THE ANIMATION, it was one of the many things stored on my USB)
View attachment 17258
I like how samus acts as if she's in her own little world while the metroid sucks the life out the the others... literally.
Edit:Now I now have an image of Mother Brain walking little birdie while it eats every living thing that passes by in my mind.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
View attachment 17258
The only thing missing from it is Ridley. :p

And is the first victim supposed to be Isaac? Or is that a random civilian?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

This is what I was trying to say before, and everyone interpreted it as "I don't think Ridley is the villain of metroid". I guess you're just better at explaining things.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I am pretty sure a basic level of research could very quickly reveal the difference between Yellow Devil's relevance as a recurring boss and Ridley's relevance as Samus' nemesis and one of two characters to even be in half the franchise or more.

I really don't think Sakurai or the development team would be so uninformed about characters in general that they just go "Ridley's basically some purple thing that shows up in one game or so and has no significance whatsoever." IMO it's even less likely that they don't know about his importance to Metroid than it is that they don't realize people want Ridley to be playable, and that says something.

Meandpikachu

Smash Journeyman
Triple Posting Warning Received
I found some AWESOME art of Ridley

There are some awesome arts of Ridley!
tumblr_mi8j4kOZ3g1rnfgu6o1_500.png
tumblr_m945glUHXx1qet5hfo1_500.png
tumblr_m804zpbaKe1qet5hfo1_1280.png

More

46295_10151577142983095_1407976961_n.png
untitled_drawing_by_rakugaki_otoko-d6vdiwn.png
856773_10151325024278095_1827871316_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kamiko

Smash Ace
This is what I was trying to say before, and everyone interpreted it as "I don't think Ridley is the villain of metroid". I guess you're just better at explaining things.
If it makes you feel any better, I got what you meant. But yeah, "not on the same level as Bowser" doesn't really sound very supportive.

@ Meandpikachu Meandpikachu : Careful with the double/triple posting. The mods will eat you. If you're lucky.

Last edited:

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman
I think Sakurai realizes how important to Metroid Ridley is and how popular he is seeing as how he is hyping him up, but for mother brain and Dark Samus he just kinda revealed them. Whether he is hyping him up for boss or playable, we don't know.

majora_787

Smash Hero
The thing is it's not even hyping up. There's no way to hype Ridley up to be a role he has been before in every game, especially if the notion of a stage boss is now understood to be a glorified stage hazard. And it doesn't help that Ridley also was a hazard on this exact stage in another game. So hyping Ridley as a stage hazard is basically going:

"I hope you guys are excited, I decided to rip off another game and bring you something you're EXTREMELY familiar with! Sure is cool, huh?"

I just can't believe Sakurai is that out of touch with... just about everything. Even saying he's "teasing Ridley as a boss" makes no sense, because we have yet to even HAVE bosses be teased. We outright saw Yellow Devil and Dark Emperor being boss...y. Boss-ish?

I just really don't think that's what's going on. :Y

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
If it makes you feel any better, I got what you meant. But yeah, "not on the same level as Bowser" doesn't really sound very supportive.

@ Meandpikachu Meandpikachu : Careful with the double/triple posting. The mods will eat you. If you're lucky.
hindsight, I guess that probably wasn't the best way to word it. I can see how people misunderstood. Glad someone understood though!

Last edited:
Top Bottom