• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Aw, the happy cycle is long gone already. Those never seem to last...

But to join in the redundant talk at the moment, I don't see how wingspan presents a potential problem. It's already been shown that winged characters can downsize their appendages (or in Meta Knight's case, disappear entirely) when not fighting in the air, so surely the same solution can be applied to Ridley.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Aw, the happy cycle is long gone already. Those never seem to last...

But to join in the redundant talk at the moment, I don't see how wingspan presents a potential problem. It's already been shown that winged characters can downsize their appendages (or in Meta Knight's case, disappear entirely) when not fighting in the air, so surely the same solution can be applied to Ridley.
The solution is obvious

Give Ridley a cape!

majora_787

Smash Hero
So this is late @Johnknight1 , but Best Buy didn't leave me with that impression at all. At the one I went to, everyone DIDN'T want Ridley, and there wasn't even a reason for it. They didn't think he was too big, they were just against his inclusion because they didn't like him.

Also an 8-bit Ridley's lair stage. Imagine it.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
They didn't think he was too big, they were just against his inclusion because they didn't like him.
I'd honestly prefer to see opinions like this more than dumb reasons like "TOO BIG!" that basically amount to people having terrible imaginations. Not that it would be a reason to exclude him, but it's perfectly understandable to not want to see characters you don't like.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well i just checked something i know how the ammibos work

You don't control them they are your tag team partner for when your in a pickle

So now im definatly getting a ridley ammibo if confirmed playable.

And yea i kindof do think ridleys trailer will be a size comparison trailer.

Last edited:

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I didn't plan to get one myself, though that might change if Ridley or Medusa or Mewtwo get confirmed.
Well I meant Ridley's in particular if he gets confirmed, since obviously you can't get a Ridley Amiibo if it doesn't exist.

That, and I don't think it's applicable to the 3DS so not much point in me getting one right now.
Wasn't it announced that a 3DS adapter was on the way?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
1. That doesn't at all impact what I just said.
2. If I told you "Little Mac can push B to get a free one hit kill" and we had literally no evidence as to how it worked mechanically, wouldn't that sound overpowered? You literally have no evidence to say 'It would be unfair and easy recovery" as if it is a fact.
3. It's proof that he doesn't do anything in the footage. Not proof that he is allowing characters to hit him. That would be speculation.
4. He was shown when "over 20 unexpected characters" were mentioned. It is literally the same as showing his shadow when "other boss appearances" are mentioned. There is no factual evidence linking what was shown and what was said in either instance. All we know is that the first case was not connected, and that is evidence that the second case could potentially also not be connected.
5. You do know what appears on a stage, right? Background characters? Bosses? Playable characters? Assisst trophies? It literally hinted at nothing other than Ridley being in the game. Assuming any particular outcome of that statement is speculation.

I'll count 6-8 to be you deliberately not wanting to acknowledge the fact that you do not want to listen when other people present information, do not care if you outright contradict yourself, and are not seeing the problem with using speculation as if it is factual evidence.

If you're going to participate in this conversation, I'd love it if you actually tried. That, or just drop it.
On point five, if you're refering to the shadow, I don't agree there. Whether he's a stage hazard or not, the implication was clearly that he would be a stage hazard. There's no denying that that was implied. It's whether he actually is just a stage hazard or not that is questionable.

majora_787

Smash Hero
On point five, if you're refering to the shadow, I don't agree there. Whether he's a stage hazard or not, the implication was clearly that he would be a stage hazard. There's no denying that that was implied. It's whether he actually is just a stage hazard or not that is questionable.
No. I was talking about "an enemy from Samus' past appearing on Pyrosphere". That statement literally means nothing tangible whatsoever. And on the other side, Ridley's shadow existing isn't what leaves the implication of him being a boss. It is the fact that "other boss appearances" are mentioned while his shadow was shown.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
No. I was talking about "an enemy from Samus' past appearing on Pyrosphere". That statement literally means nothing tangible whatsoever. And on the other side, Ridley's shadow existing isn't what leaves the implication of him being a boss. It is the fact that "other boss appearances" are mentioned while his shadow was shown.
Ah, ok I was a bit confused. I agree with your points then.

CCD23

Smash Cadet
I was talking about "an enemy from Samus' past appearing on Pyrosphere". That statement literally means nothing tangible whatsoever.
I've always suspected that that statement might mean that Ridley is a "challenger approaching" after Pyrosphere is played X number of times. After which he is defeated, he will be unlocked. I've kind of wondered if the "at any second" was a reference to something like "after any number of matches."

Characters being unlocked after playing their stage a certain number of times is not uncommon to Smash Bros. If I remember correctly, Shadow Moses Island was a starter stage in Brawl. But Snake could be unlocked by playing the stage 20 times, I believe. (If one didn't play Subspace Emissary first.) And I'm sure there are many others in both Melee and Brawl.

At any rate though, keeping Ridley under wraps but unlockable would make sense, considering he is a highly requested yet "controversial" character. (Even though we would love for him to be shown at E3 in a Direct sometime.)

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I just thought of something. What if what we saw of the shadow in the direct was just boss Ridley's entrance animation? like how yellow devil takes a little while to form on the stage, maybe Ridley just flew in and slowly flew to the portion of the stage where he actually starts attacking? That would unfortunately explain the slowness and non-aggresiveness.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I've always suspected that that statement might mean that Ridley is a "challenger approaching" after Pyrosphere is played X number of times. After which he is defeated, he will be unlocked. I've kind of wondered if the "at any second" was a reference to something like "after any number of matches."

Characters being unlocked after playing their stage a certain number of times is not uncommon to Smash Bros. If I remember correctly, Shadow Moses Island was a starter stage in Brawl. But Snake could be unlocked by playing the stage 20 times, I believe. (If one didn't play Subspace Emissary first.) And I'm sure there are many others in both Melee and Brawl.

At any rate though, keeping Ridley under wraps but unlockable would make sense, considering he is a highly requested yet "controversial" character. (Even though we would love for him to be shown at E3 in a Direct sometime.)
Your avatar makes me think Ridley is either making out with her, or eating her face.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I just thought of something. What if what we saw of the shadow in the direct was just boss Ridley's entrance animation? like how yellow devil takes a little while to form on the stage, maybe Ridley just flew in and slowly flew to the portion of the stage where he actually starts attacking? That would unfortunately explain the slowness and non-aggresiveness.
That wouldn't be a very Ridley like way to enter.

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
So the video a few pages back that @ TheWozny TheWozny posted (page 1017) Iam guessing it was a detractor video judging from the replies (probably a horrid Ultra one) well the video was apparently taking down by the user.

If this is true way to go my fellow space pirates, you quite possible have helped take down a terrible video off of youtube.
I believe the video was a joke, but it really did seem like a detractor video.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
If he is a boss and has an entrance animation, then he should at least move more...um...agressively and not so calm. Maybe just land on the stage like he did in Brawl during one of the attacks where he tries to crush player, but not just fly slowly and then start doing something. If it IS his entrance animation, then i am really disappointed.

...wait, was Ridley THAT small in the manga?! I thought he was bigger.

Last edited:

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
So, recently, I modded Ridley into my Project M. At the moment, he's just a Charizard skin, but I can actually see him working, now that I have a physical representation of how his scaling would / could work.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Well...its a joke and its not mine...And i didn`t thought about it in that way. Im not saying anything about Toad`s chances or something like that...i can replace Toad heads with Koopa shells just in case someone will get angry because of that image (and it won`t be a good idea).

I downloaded the video month ago and i can even show you name of that section if you don`t believe me.
Working on a single boss won`t require 1 year. They finished Yellow Devil already and didn`t finished Ridley? And his size isn`t a sign that he is unfinished. Neither is that jump at the end.
Also, If they can't show unfinished bosses, Then the yellow devil must have been finished for e3 2013 when he was first shown. Either they started work on bosses EXTREMELY early, in which case there is no excuse for not having Ridley ready as a boss, Or they are fine with showing incomplete character models.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
-u- you know...I like the idea of Ridley with a cape...

SCAN0228.JPG

And if I wanted Ridley as Dracula, I just have to use my Catrin Ridley, put him a cape and take his top hat away, and there it is...

:3 Quick sketch....

Last edited:
Top Bottom