• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member

View attachment 17228
"Alright then, be still, it is going to be a PAINFUL experience...and heart? oh no, I'm going to start with your INTESTINES!"
Could you do me a favor and nail them to the ceiling before you rip them completely out of me?

I've always wanted to swing on my intestines like they were vines before I died a horrible evisceration death.

Too far? Ok I'll leave then...

D

Deleted member

Probably pushing it with this question, but which would be better: Ridorah or Ridan?
(As in Ridley as Ghidorah or Ridley as Rodan.)

Last edited by a moderator:

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
Could you do me a favor and nail them to the ceiling before you rip them completely out of me?

I've always wanted to swing on my intestines like they were vines before I died a horrible evisceration death.

This is Ridley thread, there're not such thing as "too far"...

D

Deleted member

This is Ridley thread, there're not such thing as "too far"...
Is that a challenge I hear?

Don't worry I can think of some things that even the most devout Ridley supporters might think of as too far from a shock standpoint.

:awesome:

Ridley probably wouldn't be shocked or disturbed, but us lowly humans? Maybe not...

Of course if I were to get really deep into it the posts I would make would be shot down in 5 seconds by the mods and I would probably be banned or something.

Oh well, my discussions of gore will have to wait another day I guess. :ohwell:

BACK TO RIDLEY.

Last edited by a moderator:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

I2A571_0D9CD909C90EA_000.gif

-u- I guess my Catrín Ridley is done for tonight....

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Probably pushing it with this question, but which would be better: Ridorah or Ridan?
(As in Ridley as Ghidorah or Ridley as Rodan.)
Obviously it would be Mecha King Hyudora (Hewdraw) vs Fire Ridori.

As a Trophy Tussle Event

D

Deleted member

I've brought up Meta Ridley being of an easier size to work with before, but certain people shot it down and essentially said I was a ******.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Itz cuz Meta Ridely iz diffurent furm Ridely and thuz donut count, u returd!!11
every ridley iz diferen ridley they r all tobig fur smush cuz uf big.

I'm still amazed people even make the too big argument. Like, I took a semester of 3D animation in high school and was perfectly capable of resizing things. And they looked weird, but not because of their size.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
  1. Clearly Meta Ridley is incapable of bending his knees, folding up his wings, and not keeping his tail fully erect.
  2. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption's Meta Ridley was big enough to fit Samus in his mouth (voluntarily, I assure you).
  3. RIDLEY IS RIDLEY, THE LESS RIDLEYS THE BETTER.
  4. We have too many cyborg/dragon characters.
  5. He would be bad for the Meta (proof: Meta Knight)

majora_787

Smash Hero
  1. Clearly Meta Ridley is incapable of bending his knees, folding up his wings, and not keeping his tail fully erect.
  2. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption's Meta Ridley was big enough to fit Samus in his mouth (voluntarily, I assure you).
  3. RIDLEY IS RIDLEY, THE LESS RIDLEYS THE BETTER.
  4. We have too many cyborg/dragon characters.
  5. He would be bad for the Meta (proof: Meta Knight)
I misread that as "Meta Ridley was big enough to fit in Samus' mouth" and legitimately thought that sounded like a legitimate thing a detractor would say and didn't even question it for a second.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I misread that as "Meta Ridley was big enough to fit in Samus' mouth" and legitimately thought that sounded like a legitimate thing a detractor would say and didn't even question it for a second.
Vore is such a weird fetish.

not sure if this has been posted here yet, but nintendo is going to be in a hobby festival in japan, and there are supposed to be more characters being announced soon, and this was an ad for said festival, now look at the mystery box in the corner.

could just be a crinkle in the paper in the picture, but still
We've already discussed that to death. Please stop bringing it up.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I've brought up Meta Ridley being of an easier size to work with before, but certain people shot it down and essentially said I was a ******.
The picture to the right in your signature is how I view you right now. :b:

So for Ridley's idle, walk, and run animations, do you guys view him as flying close to the ground or standing and running? I personally see him as standing and walking on two legs, then adopting a quadruped stance for his run.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Vore is such a weird fetish.
Vore was the last thing I think of when I hear "Samus' mouth" and "(Meta) Ridley was big"

nevermind.
We've already discussed that to death. Please stop bringing it up.
It's not your fault for not knowing (it was posted a couple of pages ago by another mod), but this "theory/rumor" is applicable to pretty much every character, thus isn't really considered on-topic. The possibility does exist, but it's purely speculation right now (there being 6 question marks could very well just be a coincidence, plus the "outline" didn't show up in a clearer resolution screenshot someone else posted on the thread discussing it).

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
So the video a few pages back that @ TheWozny TheWozny posted (page 1017) Iam guessing it was a detractor video judging from the replies (probably a horrid Ultra one) well the video was apparently taking down by the user.

If this is true way to go my fellow space pirates, you quite possible have helped take down a terrible video off of youtube.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
How's this look?
Woah, wait a second...

size compare mk2-B.png

Meta Ridley is almost identical in size to @ Angelglory Angelglory 's original models! He really is a wizard!

He's still a little taller, but it wouldn't make much of a difference if you shrunk him down somewhat.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
So the video a few pages back that @ TheWozny TheWozny posted (page 1017) Iam guessing it was a detractor video judging from the replies (probably a horrid Ultra one) well the video was apparently taking down by the user.

If this is true way to go my fellow space pirates, you quite possible have help take down a terrible video off of youtube.
I take no responsibility whatsoever. :p I mean okay probably might have been because of me but I take no responsibility.

Also we come full circle a LOT on size comparisons lately, don't we?

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I am pretty sure only so much gameplay discussion can actually happen without becoming redundant or cyclical in 1,006 pages (near 40,000 posts).
Of course it did, but percentage-wise it is much smaller than it is in many, many, many other threads.
In fact every time gameplay is brought up, it is literally a gameplay discussion I remember having or seeing word for word within the last hundred pages. It's mostly the same people here.
Then try to think of new ideas: crazy, bold, or just somethings so obvious people missed! Ridley grabbing with its' mouth isn't an idea I've ever seen truly explored. Granted, I've seen grab pummels and throws involving its' mouth, but not grabbing with its' mouth. Ridley's Smash DI is also very rarely mentioned, which I find odd, since Smash DI is such an important deal in Smash Brothers.
We don't need to ask each others the same questions, or give each other the same answers other than maybe to catch new people who take up interest up on how we feel Ridley could work as a character.
Then ask questions about why people feel this way or that way about stuff. Ask why things are this way or that way. Ask more, dig more, discover more. And when you can't think of anything, I dunno, maybe just read instead of posting. My post count may be deceptive, but I read a heck of a lot more than I post.

If you ever get bored of it, check out another character thread, or heck, another board even. I know I do that a lot with a lot of boards. I used to read this one character board a lot, but the ideas people gave were stale, and my ideas (that I thought were interesting) were being ignored, so I quit reading and going to that thread. I came back to that thread a few weeks later, and suddenly, the staleness was gone, and people actually liked my ideas a lot, haha. I've had variations of that happen quite a few times.
So without gameplay discussion, of course on some level it's going to be largely related content or a "fan-club". GENERALLY SPEAKING people don't actively support characters they don't like.
Yes, but why is this thread only for Ridley supporters=??? It should be for people who don't even know much about Ridley, want to know more about Ridley (specifically reasons why people want him to be playable), and heck, even for detractors with constructive criticism (and not stuff like "this churactur suxx") as well.
But that's really not more redundant than the 20th discussion about what Ridley's final smash could be, which would no doubt end in space pirate raids, Mecha ridley, skin hardening, the dyna blade rush, and a quick end to the conversation because everyone realizes we literally *just* had that talk.
What about an Army of Mecha Ridleys=??? That'd be hilarious!!!
You may not *like* it, but with as many people as are involved in this thread, I'm honestly just impressed it isn't a seething nest of angry bees like it was years ago.
I will give it that! :laugh: You and I were both here for those terrible Club R.I.D.L.E.Y. days where the wheels fell off!!! :rotfl:

(you weren't ever a member of that insider group within an insider group, right=???)

And some of the discussion has been fairly good since I posted that (well for about 3 pages; then it went back to the cyclical "what are we even talking about" kind of discussions largely), as well as other IMO worthwhile discussion directly related to Smash 4, so that is a positive in my book. :)
EDIT: And for the record. That's not to say I appreciate the massive tangents we go on about Ridley ships and Ridley in a tuxedo or whatever. But we have made the SAME conclusions in literally everything so many times in this single thread that of course I would imagine we're going to break from repeating the same conversations for all eternity.
While yes, non-gameplay but still smash 4 Ridley-related is still totally cool at having, but we can still don unique things with all of that and gameplay. Often when talking about characters I want (namely Ridley, K. Rool, and a variety of veterans I imagine with revamps), I talk about the who/what/when/where/why/how of potential newcomer trailers they could have. I've even done it down to the music that plays (and when), the specific moves that are shown, the scenario beforehand, the scenario afterwards, and the specific angle of how everything is shot for maximum effect.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Honestly the only way new ideas are going to come up I imagine is if new people come into the thread who have new ideas. I think everyone here who currently contributes regularly has a pretty established notion of how they feel Ridley would work, and that's what causes it to all cycle into the same conversations. Especially since they seem to overlap a lot.

And an army of Mecha Ridleys would be hilarious, because I am imagining it now:

Ridley gets the time and resources to make more Mecha Ridleys, but instead of trimming the numbers down a little to make them COMPLETE Mecha Ridleys, he just makes them ALL the way he made Zero Mission's Mecha Ridley, so they all have his face and high numbers as the priority but no way to move other than dragging themselves around by their hands.

I imagine people don't generally look into mouth-grabs because foot grabs and hand grabs just feel more true to Ridley most of the time than a mouth grab, which feels more like a generic alternative to some people I guess? Kind of like if K. Rool shot generic fireballs instead of cannonballs just because they're "round projectiles". Eh.

And also I have a hard time with character threads. xD I'm basically just juggling the Ridley thread and Medusa thread most of the time because I try to keep up with this one in case something productive actually comes up.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Honestly the only way new ideas are going to come up I imagine is if new people come into the thread who have new ideas. I think everyone here who currently contributes regularly has a pretty established notion of how they feel Ridley would work, and that's what causes it to all cycle into the same conversations. Especially since they seem to overlap a lot.
I think if we had sitdowns and thought how different things could work differently, we could have new ideas.

I mean, tail sweep moves are fairly common to see here (well once every 10 or so pages), but what about specific-ish timings=??? That's something you can go a hundred-ish pages without seeing=??? What about knockback, hitstun, sweetspot, sourspot, and tipper properties of the move=???

Now that we generally know how both games play, there isn't a reason we can't further explore each of these ideas more than we could beforehand. Instead in pretty much every character thread (that isn't a veteran or confirmed character) it's all basically a bunch of nonsense instead of building a character concept around a lot of the gameplay we already saw.
And an army of Mecha Ridleys would be hilarious, because I am imagining it now:

Ridley gets the time and resources to make more Mecha Ridleys, but instead of trimming the numbers down a little to make them COMPLETE Mecha Ridleys, he just makes them ALL the way he made Zero Mission's Mecha Ridley, so they all have his face and high numbers as the priority but no way to move other than dragging themselves around by their hands.
It could reuse a lot of the same mechanics and ideas of Pit's Final Smash in Brawl, minus totally sucking! #ShotsFired
And also I have a hard time with character threads. xD I'm basically just juggling the Ridley thread and Medusa thread most of the time because I try to keep up with this one in case something productive actually comes up.
IMO it would help both of us "keep up" if this thread has more substantial posts and less posts just to post.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Yes, but why is this thread only for Ridley supporters=??? It should be for people who don't even know much about Ridley, want to know more about Ridley (specifically reasons why people want him to be playable), and heck, even for detractors with constructive criticism (and not stuff like "this churactur suxx") as well.
Well, what do you suggest on getting more people who aren't familiar with Ridley and/or Metroid to support him as a playable character? Our reputation's been smeared by YouTube celebrities and Sakurai's relentless trolling, I don't know how we're going to get detractors to do a 180 on Ridley, especially considering they seem content with him being a glorified stage hazard/pinata.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I think if we had sitdowns and thought how different things could work differently, we could have new ideas.

I mean, tail sweep moves are fairly common to see here (well once every 10 or so pages), but what about specific-ish timings=??? That's something you can go a hundred-ish pages without seeing=??? What about knockback, hitstun, sweetspot, sourspot, and tipper properties of the move=???

Now that we generally know how both games play, there isn't a reason we can't further explore each of these ideas more than we could beforehand. Instead in pretty much every character thread (that isn't a veteran or confirmed character) it's all basically a bunch of nonsense instead of building a character concept around a lot of the gameplay we already saw.

It could reuse a lot of the same mechanics and ideas of Pit's Final Smash in Brawl, minus totally sucking! #ShotsFired

IMO it would help both of us "keep up" if this thread has more substantial posts and less posts just to post.
Probably a thing we could do. I imagined Ridley would be less like tail swipes and more of using his tail as a sort of spear and mostly in the air as his air-offense while he claws and shreds while on the ground in generally slower attacks.

Also with the old Ridley threads I honestly do not remember being part of any meta-internal groups. I just remember it being an agry mess and that's why I just raised my eyebrows at it a lot and stayed away more than I do now. xD

EDIT: Riight, right. I forgot, getting new people here isn't the easiest thing since people didn't stop hating us in the last eight years. :awesome:

Last edited:

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
I take no responsibility whatsoever. :p I mean okay probably might have been because of me but I take no responsibility.

Also we come full circle a LOT on size comparisons lately, don't we?
Then my inference was correct!?

The Ridley movement is real...

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Well, what do you suggest on getting more people who aren't familiar with Ridley and/or Metroid to support him as a playable character? Our reputation's been smeared by YouTube celebrities and Sakurai's relentless trolling, I don't know how we're going to get detractors to do a 180 on Ridley, especially considering they seem content with him being a glorified stage hazard/pinata.
Good question! We present ourselves in positive light, by providing examples of how cool Ridley could be. We do this by harnessing our passion for Ridley in Metroid, our love of Smash Bros., and our love of new playable characters, and combining it all into one big bundle of sheer fanaticism!!!

I mean, we have 1 moveset list on the OP, and yet 4 size comparisons=??? Why not have skillset posts linked there, playstyle stuff linked there, and even more movesets linked there=???

We should offer a ton of opinions in the OP and in this thread in regards to gameplay (Ridley's moveset, playstyle, skillset, and how they all come together and work together) and presentation (how Ridley is revealed, how he visually works, how he visibly functions, etc) that shows our diversity of our thoughts. Then, we should put much of the best stuff of that in the OP IMO.

I'm sure other people have great ideas as well on the matter, which is why I'm raising the point. I want to hear other ideas.

I mean, sure, we'll never turn the detractors who hate Ridley for some reason (see: psychological manifestations of hate), but that's beyond our control. We should focus what's in our control, and try to improve that first and foremost.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Then my inference was correct!?

The Ridley movement is real...
I wouldn't say "helped" as much as "caused" but probably, sure. Let's go with that.

Though to be fair it was basically one of those nintendo ultimate whatever or Shokio things where they get pissy at people for liking Ridley when they don't and bluh bluh "You're all delusional idiots for having an opinion different from mine", except this time it was coming from a prepubescent jackass who said f*** every other word.

There's like a sliding bar of what is and isn't appreciated and that video wasn't exactly on the bar anywhere.

Last edited:
Top Bottom