• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Riskman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
weavorsomething
3DS FC
2406-5118-0663
It wasn't the "Yellow devil" section, rewatch it, he said there are "Other bosses" and it showed the shadow.
Nobody ever said that that was the finished thing, hence why the pyrosphere was absent during the demo.
There seem to be multiple different versions of the direct, one without the caption 'Other Bosses' and one with it. Still, Sakurai did say that other bosses appear on other stages so I agree that the whole 'It was the Yellow Devil section' argument is a little bit silly.

However, I still feel that Sakurai is holding out on something. It isn't unlike him to word something ambiguously, on purpose or thanks to translation, causing stuff like this to happen. What is happening here pretty much happened with Ness in Brawl. It also isn't unlike him to toy with the fanbase either, with instances like Ganon not using his sword and the 'Zero Suit Samus stunt'.

majora_787

Smash Hero
There seem to be multiple different versions of the direct, one without the caption 'Other Bosses' and one with it. Still, Sakurai did say that other bosses appear on other stages so I agree that the whole 'It was the Yellow Devil section' argument is a little bit silly.

However, I still feel that Sakurai is holding out on something. It isn't unlike him to word something ambiguously, on purpose or thanks to translation, causing stuff like this to happen. What is happening here pretty much happened with Ness in Brawl. It also isn't unlike him to toy with the fanbase either, with instances like Ganon not using his sword and the 'Zero Suit Samus stunt'.
It's not an argument so much as people seem to have this notion that the direct had a section of it dedicated to bosses, when it didn't. It was a section dedicated to Yellow Devil which ended with "There are bosses that aren't Yellow Devil". I feel like that's kind of important to note the difference between that and "This is a direct exclusively about bosses in which literally every character shown in it is a boss forever".

Even if they don't matter much, details do matter when painting an accurate picture.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Well...maybe that:

Mmm...Sorry, Toad fans...nothing personal...absolutely.
Pffft. Sorry, I couldn't resist my laughter at those pictures. I'm a cruel, cruel person. :laugh:

It turns out Zero Suit Samus finds Little Birdie to be kawaii.

kawaii.png

So there's no hard feelings between the two. :p

majora_787

Smash Hero
Pffft. Sorry, I couldn't resist my laughter at those pictures. I'm a cruel, cruel person. :laugh:

View attachment 17220

One of the many many many MANY interpretations of Samus definitely involves her having a fascination with cute things, but I dunno. After seeing it unhinge its face and hiss I wouldn't pick it up and hug it. Before? Maybe. After? Ha HAAAA no.

Riskman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
weavorsomething
3DS FC
2406-5118-0663
It's not an argument so much as people seem to have this notion that the direct had a section of it dedicated to bosses, when it didn't. It was a section dedicated to Yellow Devil which ended with "There are bosses that aren't Yellow Devil". I feel like that's kind of important to note the difference between that and "This is a direct exclusively about bosses in which literally every character shown in it is a boss forever".

Even if they don't matter much, details do matter when painting an accurate picture.
Eh, alright then. I'm not up to date with every detail about this whole thing but I think anyone can see that something is going on here. No business sense in hyping a stage hazard, even if it is a popular character. Would make just as much sense as hyping up someone like Nabbit or Dark Emperor (or whatever that thing is called).

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

View attachment 17220

sigh...it has been a while since I said something like this but.... this is how Little Birdie should have ended since the beginning of the game...

Untitled.png

I said that I had softened a bit to Roidley, not the evolution cycle...

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
sigh...it has been a while since I said something like this but.... this is how Little Birdie should have ended since the beginning of the game...

View attachment 17221
I said that I had softened a bit to Roidley, not the evolution cycle...
He should have been Ridley since his birth. That would be better because then he would pwn them after few seconds.

...and:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I've been looking up fan-made pallet swaps, and the red and yellow one here caught my eye:

It's a very Crocomire-y costume... Also, the Gold and Pink-winged one is just f***ing cool.
*Resists the urge to post a 3rd "DO WANT" picture in 48 hours.*

Seriously these Ridley colors are the best I've ever seen, particularly the black one.

Also:
Ridley still has a bigger soul.
Ridley has no soul.

Even if he did at some point he's so wonderfully evil it probably died, extinguished like the flame of a dying candle in a hurricane.

I'm kind of glad I missed the mess that was the last 10 pages, reading through that wasn't fun at all.

Oh by the way I'm here now, been on the road the whole day and will be tomorrow (Long rides are the worst. :c).

So I probably won't be around until late tomorrow.

Not that I imagine that anyone cares.

:|

Last edited by a moderator:

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
One thing I never understood:
When Boxing Ring stage was shown, people thought Little Mac was in, and then he was confirmed.
When Palutena's Temple was shown, people thought Palutena was in, and then she was confirmed.
The moment you say, "Hmm, maybe Pyrosphere is implying Ridley is playable", people are like "IT DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT."
2/3 of those characters I just listed were teased in someway or another.

majora_787

Smash Hero
When Boxing Ring stage was shown, people thought Little Mac was in, and then he was confirmed.
When Palutena's Temple was shown, people thought Palutena was in, and then she was confirmed.
The moment you say, "Hmm, maybe Pyrosphere is implying Ridley is playable", people are like "IT DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT."
Don't forget Mario Galaxy and Rosalina, which people also connected. And to a lesser extent, Find Mii / Tomodachi stages.

Also, that's fantastic. Back before he was destroyer of worlds, back when Ridley was just a fluff, he did janitorial duty, cleaning up the bodies of the fallen. And here he is now. What a heart-warming story.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Because Ridley is very special - he can`t be resized, he will look weird if he is resized, he doesn`t fits as a playable character, he is a boss if he is MENTIONED no matter how and where, his shadow becomes BIGGER when it goes AWAY from light source (lava), he looks scary, he has no personality, etc.

More:

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
REALLY digging that red one. That Ridley should actually happen in the next Metroid games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

REALLY digging that red one. That Ridley should actually happen in the next Metroid games.
I'd particularly like to see it in a Post-Lava kind of thing where Ridley is "defeated" and sinks in the lava, but comes back for a second fight in his bone and muscle form of that picture, kind of like Crocomire/Dry Bowser.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I'd particularly like to see it in a Post-Lava kind of thing where Ridley is "defeated" and sinks in the lava, but comes back for a second fight in his bone and muscle form of that picture, kind of like Crocomire/Dry Bowser.
Wasn`t Ridley immune to lava and just heat? He is located at Lower Norfair, where Samus takes heat damage without Varia Suit and where Crocomire couldn`t normally live.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Wasn`t Ridley immune to lava and just heat? He is located at Lower Norfair, where Samus takes heat damage without Varia Suit and where Crocomire couldn`t normally live.
It's hard to say. I know Meta Ridley is weak to high temperature weapons, though it's hard to say if that's just because he's made mostly of metal.

AndreaAC

*Resists the urge to post a 3rd "DO WANT" picture in 48 hours.*

Seriously these Ridley colors are the best I've ever seen, particularly the black one.

Also:

Ridley has no soul.

Even if he did at some point he's so wonderfully evil it probably died, extinguished like the flame of a dying candle in a hurricane.

I'm kind of glad I missed the mess that was the last 10 pages, reading through that wasn't fun at all.

Oh by the way I'm here now, been on the road the whole day and will be tomorrow (Long rides are the worst. :c).

So I probably won't be around until late tomorrow.

Not that I imagine that anyone cares.

:|
P2A571_0D9CCE4C1D86C_000.gif

"Yeah, I may have no soul, but I can take YOURS."

majora_787

Smash Hero
I actually just got an idea: If they gave Ridley something like his skin hardening, where he was able to undergo evolutionary adaptations when entering SUPER-EXTREME climates, so if he ended up in a place with more than just volcanic heat he would take on something sort of like that red and yellow Ridley, and there could be other ones for extreme cold and high or low pressure environments.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I know that I'm far from the only person who's said this before, but Ridley looks a lot like Lord Zedd in that picture.

Someone said it on that picture`s page and it was unintentional. Author now knows about that.

I actually just got an idea: If they gave Ridley something like his skin hardening, where he was able to undergo evolutionary adaptations when entering SUPER-EXTREME climates, so if he ended up in a place with more than just volcanic heat he would take on something sort of like that red and yellow Ridley, and there could be other ones for extreme cold and high or low pressure environments.
Then i would prefer him to gain more bone armor than what is shown on the picture. Then he would look like that dragon with bone armor from How to Train your Dragon...

majora_787

Smash Hero
"And for my next trick, I shall stand perfectly still on a R.O.B. peripheral on a jet plane going 360 kilometer per second!"
And this is already the ridiculousness Ridley is capable of in his boss appearances. People act like PLAYABLE RIDLEY makes too many shenanigans possible? *THIS* is shenanigans.

AndreaAC

Oh go right ahead, I've always wanted to be Heartless and Soulless at the same time. Although some people I know tell me that I already am. :awesome:
U2A571_0D959677B1504_001.gif

"Alright then, be still, it is going to be a PAINFUL experience...and heart? oh no, I'm going to start with your INTESTINES!"

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Speaking of Brawl Meta Ridley shenanigans, he looks like he'd be a plausible size for Playable Ridley. Has anyone done any size comparisons with him?

Top Bottom