• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
His size varies a bit from panel to panel. It's almost as if *gasp* his size isn't very important.
*gasp* But th4t 15 n0t c4n0n1c4l m4ng4, 50, 1t d035n`t m4tt3rs! H3 15 5t1ll t00 b1g.

Does anyone knows why that Ridley vertex hack crashes the game on result screen? Maybe its because i fixed his eyes, but i didn`t do anything other than moving his verticles (they are called so, right?).

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
*gasp* But th4t 15 n0t c4n0n1c4l m4ng4, 50, 1t d035n`t m4tt3rs! H3 15 5t1ll t00 b1g.

Does anyone knows why that Ridley vertex hack crashes the game on result screen? Maybe its because i fixed his eyes, but i didn`t do anything other than moving his verticles (they are called so, right?).
His sheer size.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I posted this pic on the Smash Bros subreddit.

Response has been mostly positive. Jokiest detraction has been "2Wide4Smash", worst there's been is people thinking his wings basically deconfirm him.

majora_787

Smash Hero

Response has been mostly positive. Jokiest detraction has been "2Wide4Smash", worst there's been is people thinking his wings basically deconfirm him.
Meta Knight, Pit, Palutena, and Charizard deconfirmed. :awesome: Wings r 2 cheep

domokl

Smash Lord

If the wings clipping are a problem then bowser deconfirmed for clipping on battlefield!:troll:

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
If the wings clipping are a problem then bowser deconfirmed for clipping on battlefield!:troll:
So with Ridley logic:

- No Pit, Charizard, Meta Knight, or Palutena because they have wings.
- No Bowser because of clipping.
- No Peach, Kirby, or Dedede because of flying/multiple jumps. This throws out R.O.B. too. And Jiggs.
- No Ganondorf just because he's 2 big in his boss appearances and is better off as a boss and scares the childrens and whatnot.

You know character logic is ridiculous when 10+ existing and functioning characters are thrown out by it.

Honorable mention: No Mewtwo either because his neck is too thin. :troll:

EDIT: I NEARLY FORGOT!

We can't have Diddy Kong, Squirtle, Falco, Fox, Wolf, or Lucario. Because they have tails. May as well throw out Donkey Kong and Greninja too just because "their body posture isn't fully human" whatever that is ever supposed to mean.

Anyone keeping track at home? That's like. 20 characters cut by Ridley logic.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Oh my god, that is actually horrifying.

More like this.
Oh dear god...He looks even more like Panic from Disney's Hercules than the original. That was a problem I had with Brawl's design, aside from him having googly eyes.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Not really. Meta Ridley in Brawl was still noticeably larger than Bowser, and had an extremely large wingspan to compensate for his size reduction after his first appearance.
Funny you say that, considering Meta Ridley's wings in Prime are freaking humongous.

Compared to his Brawl model.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I don't know, I had someone seriously tell me Ridley's neck being thin was the exclusive reason as to why he couldn't be playable. :p

Guess they've never seen Roidley.
xD That would be silly...I mean, it not like Ridley is going to swallow a character and then...puke it out (because I don't see him using Yoshi's.....mechanism...).

Kamiko

Smash Ace
xD That would be silly...I mean, it not like Ridley is going to swallow a character and then...puke it out (because I don't see him using Yoshi's.....mechanism...).
That wouldn't even matter anyway, because snakes swallow things wider than their necks all the time. I don't see why Ridley's neck can't stretch like that.

Greninja'd.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
My god...They've been scaling him down from the start...
Well, yeah, but he obviously can't be scaled down further. Anything more would just totally ruin Ridley's character, so it's impossible that he could ever be playable. Duh.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I stick by the theory that Sakurai underestimated Ridley's popularity in the West, explaining his slightly-bigger-than-playable Meta Ridley size in Brawl. Had he realized that Ridley was more than a reoccurring boss to the West, he'd make it in easily.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'm pretty sure the trophy versions have smaller wings than the actual boss models. So they were actually scaled down twice in the same game.
Didn't the transition from Ridley to Meta Ridley in SSE also shrink Ridley down?

AndreaAC

Unless Ridley's neck functions like that of a snake.
Yeah, I think it is like that...and by mechanism I meant the way Yoshi gets out a character after swallow them,,,the eggs xD

oh, and now that you were talking about Meta Ridley's wings....

omega stand - Copy.png

Omega's wings are also enormous, but in the official render, they are A LOT smaller....

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
I stick by the theory that Sakurai underestimated Ridley's popularity in the West, explaining his slightly-bigger-than-playable Meta Ridley size in Brawl. Had he realized that Ridley was more than a reoccurring boss to the West, he'd make it in easily.
Metroid being WAY bigger in the West should have been a hint for him :p I don't think any of us know how much he actually cares about what kind of characters a very decent number of western Smash fans (not just competitive, but all fans) want. :/

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Metroid being WAY bigger in the West should have been a hint for him :p I don't think any of us know how much he actually cares about what kind of characters a very decent number of western Smash fans (not just competitive, but all fans) want. :/
Little Mac.

It's not fair to generalize Sakurai like this, especially when we don't know the final roster.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Yeah, I think it is like that...and by mechanism I meant the way Yoshi gets out a character after swallow them,,,the eggs xD

oh, and now that you were talking about Meta Ridley's wing....

View attachment 17247
Omega's wings are also enormous, but in the official render, they are A LOT smaller....
That left image is isometric. It's making the farther wing look bigger than it really is.

DukeofShorts

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Braedenthegreat

I think his wings could even be bigger. They seem a little unproportioned.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
It is sad that i am more excited for page 1024 then I am for 1000?

Oh right so as to not spam I must contribute in some way... Long live Ridley!!!! I have my doubts but here's to hopin'.

AndreaAC

That left image is isometric. It's making the farther wing look bigger than it really is.
Oh, yeah, you are right, -u- hehe I have always got a bit of problems with isometric views,...

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I can't prove it, but think that Sakurai thought that Ridley was an iconic character in Metroid, but not one that would be warranted playability, much like how the Yellow Devil is an iconic Mega Man boss or Gohma is an iconic Zelda boss.

But then Other M gave Samus PTSD, so there's no ducking behind the "reoccurring iconic boss" excuse now. Kraid's a better fit for an iconic Metroid boss fight anyhow.

R0Y

Smash Master
Little Mac.

It's not fair to generalize Sakurai like this, especially when we don't know the final roster.
I'm not generalizing at all. I'm saying we don't know what goes on in his head and how much he cares about what western fans want. Little Mac was a good call though, another thing bigger in the west. Hell, the NES version's theme has been heard in sports arenas in North America. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out was HUUUUUGE, yes.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
No, both models are same in size. Only his head and wings are different. And i like his head more.
Here is a proof:
So does this mean that Ridley in Brawl was never too big to begin with?

I can't prove it, but think that Sakurai thought that Ridley was an iconic character in Metroid, but not one that would be warranted playability, much like how the Yellow Devil is an iconic Mega Man boss or Gohma is an iconic Zelda boss.

But then Other M gave Samus PTSD, so there's no ducking behind the "reoccurring iconic boss" excuse now. Kraid's a better fit for an iconic Metroid boss fight anyhow.
I'll admit that I've hardly played Mega Man, but I have known about the characters and some of the more infamous bosses in the series. I've never heard of Yellow Devil until the E3 2013 event.

Last edited:
Top Bottom