• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

majora_787

Smash Hero
Guys simmer down a bit. We're not getting anything here other than more feedback on the same demo. And there's nothing in the box but a question mark and a statement saying we haven't seen the full roster yet. The Ridley train's not stopping at this station.

EDIT: Ridley's size can be factually estimated through his shadow through legitimate means. It isn't the same as looking at wrinkles on paper until you see a face.

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Guys really?

Paper wrinkles.

It's seriously a wrinkle in the paper you're trying to find Ridley in.
Andra (from gameXplain) said we're clinging onto anything, might as well roll with it if idiots think that way about us

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
As I stated in the Sal Thread, it's just the reflection off of the crinkled glossy paper. And before anyone asks, it translates to "What Character will join the battle next?"

Get back on topic everyone. This has nothing to do with Ridley.

Also please avoid Double Posting. Thank you.

majora_787

Smash Hero
On a more relevant topic, it's obnoxious when people pretend that Ridley's shadow literally cannot hold any reliable information. We are fully capable of comparing Ridley's shadow to Pikachu because of the fact that both were shown from the exact same camera angle. We are able to compare Pikachu and Bowser's sizes because they have both been shown in pictures. We even have a picture of Bowser's shadow on the EXACT same stage as Ridley's shadow, and it all forms a neat circle.

His size may not be evidence that confirms a role in any way, but it's not really information that can be discarded as nonsense when we actually have the information required to sort it out properly through relevant in-game comparisons.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
It would be just like Sakurai to reveal a Western based character at a Japanese-only event. You can't get any more unexpected then that.

But in reality we're reaching again, so let's get back to more serious matters like Ridley's choice of skin care products and such.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
EDIT: Ridley's size can be factually estimated through his shadow through legitimate means. It isn't the same as looking at wrinkles on paper until you see a face.
Until we see Ridley, we cannot prove either is right or wrong. Wrinkles on a paper, his tail or his shadow, we have nothing of him, and we either conclude it'll be Ridley Other M, or an hybrid.
We just know he is in the game, we can only estimate his size without being that accurate since everything that was shown could change, and his tail is the only part of him we saw.

So yeah, we're digging on maybe wrinkles on a paper. But it's not sure since none of us hold that paper, so we are not sure, so we can keep focusing on it until we have another picture that will show us a different "??????" box.

Damn I don't even think he'll be playable but I'm still trying to prove something I don't even have faith in (Ridley being a character). :yeahboi:

Oh and while I'm talking about the shadow thing, people said Ridley would be a boss that doesn't attack much and would stale for a while in the middle of the stage doing nothing. Well, Yellow Devil didn't do much either, he was on the stage and made an attack once in a while, before moving to the other side after five seconds. Ridley could also follow this patern. :yeahboi:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
On a more relevant topic, it's obnoxious when people pretend that Ridley's shadow literally cannot hold any reliable information. We are fully capable of comparing Ridley's shadow to Pikachu because of the fact that both were shown from the exact same camera angle. We are able to compare Pikachu and Bowser's sizes because they have both been shown in pictures. We even have a picture of Bowser's shadow on the EXACT same stage as Ridley's shadow, and it all forms a neat circle.

His size may not be evidence that confirms a role in any way, but it's not really information that can be discarded as nonsense when we actually have the information required to sort it out properly through relevant in-game comparisons.
But didn't you know? Ridley's shadow follows different rules than the other characters shadows. Somehow when he's higher it makes the shadow SMALLER rather than bigger like every other shadow in the world.

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
It would be just like Sakurai to reveal a Western based character at a Japanese-only event. You can't get any more unexpected then that.

But in reality we're reaching again, so let's get back to more serious matters like Ridley's choice of skin care products and such.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Why does supporting Ridley seem so different from supporting other characters? It's always conspiracy theories, hidden meaning, and ambiguos forms in grey boxes. I'd stop if I could, but I'm too invested in Ridley now.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Until we see Ridley, we cannot prove either is right or wrong. Wrinkles on a paper, his tail or his shadow, we have nothing of him, and we either conclude it'll be Ridley Other M, or an hybrid.
We just know he is in the game, we can only estimate his size without being that accurate since everything that was shown could change, and his tail is the only part of him we saw.

So yeah, we're digging on maybe wrinkles on a paper. But it's not sure since none of us hold that paper, so we are not sure, so we can keep focusing on it until we have another picture that will show us a different "??????" box.

Damn I don't even think he'll be playable but I'm still trying to prove something I don't even have faith in (Ridley being a character). :yeahboi:

Oh and while I'm talking about the shadow thing, people said Ridley would be a boss that doesn't attack much and would stale for a while in the middle of the stage doing nothing. Well, Yellow Devil didn't do much either, he was on the stage and made an attack once in a while, before moving to the other side after five seconds. Ridley could also follow this patern. :yeahboi:
So you are saying the shadow is different under the premise of, "Maybe they showed us INSANELY inaccurate footage and they'll just make Ridley five times larger all of a sudden"?

You may as well argue that Ridley has entirely exclusive lighting physics while you're at it.

And the difference between Ridley here and Yellow Devil is obvious. Yellow Devil is twice as tall as the tallest character and takes up a third of his stage. His attack encompasses all of the space between the two places where he spawns, and he also fires projectiles between movement attacks. He's difficult to avoid because of the amount of space he takes up.

Ridley takes up a *tenth* of his stage, and moves much slower than characters running at full speed.

EDIT: In before Sakurai literally fabricated a Ridley for the trailer and showed us something deliberately disappointing to make people DISINTERESTED or something.

Last edited:

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
Why does supporting Ridley seem so different from supporting other characters? It's always conspiracy theories, hidden meaning, and ambiguos forms in grey boxes. I'd stop if I could, but I'm too invested in Ridley now.
because Ridley lives inside all of us and in order to satisfy him you must support him until he descends from the skys and takes in his place in the SSB4 roster on the day of reckoning.

I think i got a little carried away there :grin:

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
People, please don't get your hopes up.
If you look closely, you can clearly make out who the secret character is.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Guys... remember that GameExplain video where we all complained about how GameExplain commented on Ridley fans freaking out over the Pac-Land POTD?

PLEASE don't make me think the same thing about this situation. Damnit, I even looked at it and I thought I saw Ridley, but I'm NOT going to get myself to think that way. As far as I'm aware, all it says is "Who is coming next?!" Its NOT hinting at a new character reveal at the event.

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
I don't see Ridley, I see a horse. Epona confirmed.

Anyways, does anyone have a clue how exactly Nintendo keeps in touch with it's fanbase?

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
So you are saying the shadow is different under the premise of, "Maybe they showed us INSANELY inaccurate footage and they'll just make Ridley five times larger all of a sudden"?

You may as well argue that Ridley has entirely exclusive lighting physics while you're at it.

And the difference between Ridley here and Yellow Devil is obvious. Yellow Devil is twice as tall as the tallest character and takes up a third of his stage. His attack encompasses all of the space between the two places where he spawns, and he also fires projectiles between movement attacks. He's difficult to avoid because of the amount of space he takes up.

Ridley takes up a *tenth* of his stage, and moves much slower than characters running at full speed.

EDIT: In before Sakurai literally fabricated a Ridley for the trailer and showed us something deliberately disappointing to make people DISINTERESTED or something.
We had only three bosses revealed, two if we exclude master hand. We don't know the behavior of the others, so Ridley may be a smaller boss. Still, we can't say for sure his size just with his shadow.

Even the wings are huge. He stays in the aire for a long time, he grabbed a pikachu in mid air, he was hinted in the boss category, was hinted months prior to the direct as Samus' trauma. And even if the shadow work is correct, it still doesn't confirm him as playable. The movements may even lead more to him being a boss. And we see no attacks from Ridley, he could still have more in stock, the direct showing us the only moment we can attack him.

And why would people be disinterested ?

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
I don't see Ridley, I see a horse. Epona confirmed.

Anyways, does anyone have a clue how exactly Nintendo keeps in touch with it's fanbase?
Miiverse is probably Nintendo's best connection with it's fanbase so i would say that

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
We had only three bosses revealed, two if we exclude master hand. We don't know the behavior of the others, so Ridley may be a smaller boss. Still, we can't say for sure his size just with his shadow.

Even the wings are huge. He stays in the aire for a long time, he grabbed a pikachu in mid air, he was hinted in the boss category, was hinted months prior to the direct as Samus' trauma. And even if the shadow work is correct, it still doesn't confirm him as playable. The movements may even lead more to him being a boss. And we see no attacks from Ridley, he could still have more in stock, the direct showing us the only moment we can attack him.

And why would people be disinterested ?
1. You are using a less accurate size comparison than we are in order to facilitate your point, but okay.
2. Six seconds and a jump. There is no evidence to indicate that a playable character could not be designed to do that.
3. We have no evidence that Ridley grabs Pikachu. And even then, we have no evidence to indicate that a playable character could not be designed to have an air grab.
4. "Hinted at" in the same way he was hinted to be playable in Super SMash Bros. Melee's own advertisement.
5. The original Pyrosphere PotD literally does not indicate Ridley to be anything other than a character in the game. Don't start pretending otherwise.
6. You have now proven you literally did not read my post.
7. You literally contradicted yourself outright, but okay.
8. Now you're setting up elaborate speculative hypothetical situations to help your point.

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
So, all of Ridley supporters must drink that water? Because otherwise, all of us would be sane, act like um...sirs...jentlemen...those guys with monocles and mustache and would not think that Ridley can be resized.
Hey, the greatest geniuses in the history were considered insane by the normal people. Also, monocles are awesome.

I don't think that Ridley would be revealed on a Japanese event, if a character will be revealed in that event. I think it'll be Shulk.

Morbi

Scavenger
I suppose I missed something relevant; so essentially there is a picture that confirms that we are going to get a reveal soon, and some people believe that it is "Ridley in the clouds"?

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
1. You are using a less accurate size comparison than we are in order to facilitate your point, but okay.
2. Six seconds and a jump. There is no evidence to indicate that a playable character could not be designed to do that.
3. We have no evidence that Ridley grabs Pikachu. And even then, we have no evidence to indicate that a playable character could not be designed to have an air grab.
4. "Hinted at" in the same way he was hinted to be playable in Super SMash Bros. Melee's own advertisement.
5. The original Pyrosphere PotD literally does not indicate Ridley to be anything other than a character in the game. Don't start pretending otherwise.
1. Found it on a thread used by Gamefaqs to prove Ridley is small, but okay.
2. Six seconds is a lot of time to stay in the air, too long, unfair for someone like Little Mac, and the recovery would be damn easy.
3. So if Ridley doesn't grab Pikachu, it's another proof he does nothing, thus allowing characters to hit him.
4. He was never hinted ?
5. "An enemy from Samus' past could appear at any second!" While showing Pyrosphere, implying he will appear on this stage, implying it's an enemy important enough to traumatize her, implying Ridley.

The points 6, 7 and 8, I'll put it on the count of being a bit angry. :yeahboi:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Yes, the man who revealed Pac-man, arguably the most iconic video game character, at a closed roundtable event would totally reveal a Japanese requested character at a japanese event.

majora_787

Smash Hero
2. Six seconds is a lot of time to stay in the air, too long, unfair for someone like Little Mac, and the recovery would be damn easy.
3. So if Ridley doesn't grab Pikachu, it's another proof he does nothing, thus allowing characters to hit him.
4. He was never hinted ?
5. "An enemy from Samus' past could appear at any second!" While showing Pyrosphere, implying he will appear on this stage, implying it's an enemy important enough to traumatize her, implying Ridley.

1. That doesn't at all impact what I just said.
2. If I told you "Little Mac can push B to get a free one hit kill" and we had literally no evidence as to how it worked mechanically, wouldn't that sound overpowered? You literally have no evidence to say 'It would be unfair and easy recovery" as if it is a fact.
3. It's proof that he doesn't do anything in the footage. Not proof that he is allowing characters to hit him. That would be speculation.
4. He was shown when "over 20 unexpected characters" were mentioned. It is literally the same as showing his shadow when "other boss appearances" are mentioned. There is no factual evidence linking what was shown and what was said in either instance. All we know is that the first case was not connected, and that is evidence that the second case could potentially also not be connected.
5. You do know what appears on a stage, right? Background characters? Bosses? Playable characters? Assisst trophies? It literally hinted at nothing other than Ridley being in the game. Assuming any particular outcome of that statement is speculation.

I'll count 6-8 to be you deliberately not wanting to acknowledge the fact that you do not want to listen when other people present information, do not care if you outright contradict yourself, and are not seeing the problem with using speculation as if it is factual evidence.

If you're going to participate in this conversation, I'd love it if you actually tried. That, or just drop it.

Last edited:

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
So Ridley has now entered my dreams. I think he was revealed in some sort of Prime-esque first-person view and he had a very weird look, like none of the other games he was in (possibly a Fusion-Super mashup?) and it wasn't entirely clear what the hell Sakurai revealed him as, but it was in the style of the directs. It was a wicked cool animation though. I wish I could say more, but I barely remember dreams as it is.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I suppose I missed something relevant; so essentially there is a picture that confirms that we are going to get a reveal soon, and some people believe that it is "Ridley in the clouds"?
No, it doesn't hint at a character reveal, the people thinking it hints at a character reveal are jumping to conclusions just as much as Ridley fans jumping to the conclusion that the "??????" block is hiding Ridley inside it (although I'll kinda give that when I looked at it I did see something resembling Ridley, but its just wrinkles, nothing more).

4. He was never hinted ?

3. Actually, I'd say the fact that Ridley does nothing is more of a hint at him being playable than anything. Boss characters ATTACK YOU. Playable characters can be controlled to not attack. They'd have to go out of the way to program Ridley not to attack you just to show that footage, which is the stupidest thing I ever heard.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I remember one time, a friend of mine had a dream back in the Brawl days where the Wii playing BRawl was confirmed to be a playable character, and Ridley was confirmed to be a packaged peripheral who would play the game against you. That'd be... strange.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think shulk will or at least has a chance to be revealed at the Japanese event
Stop talking about the Japanese event here, it has nothing to do with Ridley and the flier doesn't even hint anything about a character reveal anyway.

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
The shadow is not the playable Ridley, I thought we agreed on that. What we saw was a boss.

Aside from the obvious fact that it's simply too big, no character can stay in the air that long while moving that slowly, without changing altitude. The question is does that deconfirm Ridley as a playable character, or will it be like Toon Link and the Miis.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
1. That doesn't at all impact what I just said.
2. If I told you "Little Mac can push B to get a free one hit kill" and we had literally no evidence as to how it worked mechanically, wouldn't that sound overpowered? You literally have no evidence to say 'It would be unfair and easy recovery" as if it is a fact.
3. It's proof that he doesn't do anything in the footage. Not proof that he is allowing characters to hit him. That would be speculation.
4. He was shown when "over 20 unexpected characters" were mentioned. It is literally the same as showing his shadow when "other boss appearances" are mentioned. There is no factual evidence linking what was shown and what was said in either instance. All we know is that the first case was not connected, and that is evidence that the second case could potentially also not be connected.
5. You do know what appears on a stage, right? Background characters? Bosses? Playable characters? Assisst trophies? It literally hinted at nothing other than Ridley being in the game. Assuming any particular outcome of that statement is speculation.
1.Just wanted to point out where I found my source, not to go against your point.
2. He doesn't get a free kill, many times at the demo people used this "one punch hit", and many times the character punched was still alive. So it's not overpowered, since you need to fulfil conditions (get hit or hit other players). If Ridley was playable, it would imply that he could stay in the air for at least six seconds, hovering. Is a condition a neccessity ? I dunno, I have no right to speculate on a thread that has been doing nothing else for 400 pages.
3. True, as we speculate it's Ridley... :denzel:
4. The video was not a proof in himself of showing playable characters. Hell, there was Pichu but no one thought he would be playable. There is was no hint intended.
5. Ridley being on the game while revealing Pyrosphere, where he is fought, with him -oh wait, something looking like him being on the stage. Speculation that looks more like hinting to him being a stage hazard than playable.

I'll count 6-8 to be you deliberately not wanting to acknowledge the fact that you do not want to listen when other people present information, do not care if you outright contradict yourself, and are not seeing the problem with using speculation as if it is factual evidence.
We are using speculation for everything on the thread until now ; shadow, pictures, rumors... So we shouldn't talk about Ridley anymore ? I dunno, speculation is just what allows this thread to live most of the time when it's not fan art.
Now for the contradict myself, I dunno where, I don't say it's impossible (look like I'm open-minded !).
I'm okay to listen to people, even opinions opposed to mine. But those people should do the same with the others.

If you're going to participate in this conversation, I'd love it if you actually tried. That, or just drop it.
Just because I think he is not playable doesn't mean I'm not participating into this conversation. If I was just saying "Ridley will be playable because I have faith in it", it would be okay. However, when I say the contrary with some facts (Sentence pronounced by Sakurais and videos) and when I try to make a conclusion with that, people jump on me and bite me until I have no bones left. Come on, let people express themselves. :gova:

majora_787

Smash Hero
The shadow is not the playable Ridley, I thought we agreed on that. What we saw was a boss.

Aside from the obvious fact that it's simply too big, no character can stay in the air that long while moving that slowly, without changing altitude. The question is does that deconfirm Ridley as a playable character, or will it be like Toon Link and the Miis.
We proved and agreed that the shadow we saw was in fact not "too big", COULD very well stay in the air for six seconds while moving horizontally (a thing a character can already do for some less time), and we also agreed on the fact that it also does not deconfirm Ridley as a playable character.

EDIT: Oh for the love of...

2. The actual mechanics of Little Mac's KO punch are irrelevant to the point I was making.
3. You seem to not want to be taken seriously.
4. The point is that stating something while something is shown are not required to be immediately related if they are not directly connected. And they were not directly connected.
5. Are you really using a character appearing on a stage as evidence of being a boss?

ENTIRE PLAYABLE ROSTER CONFIRMED TO BE BOSSES ON EVERY STAGE.

You are deliberately being obnoxious and difficult. The issue is not that speculation is happening. The issue is that in a discussion about FACTS, you are exclusively founding everything you say off speculation.

The issue is *ALSO* not that you don't think he is playable. You are literally and deliberately ignoring the points that are being made. You've proven that you literally have no intention of allowing yourself to be taken seriously, and no intention of participating in a serious discussion like a normal person.

You can respond all you want, but just letting you know, I'm done. I gave you facts and you responded with ignoring everything and making guesses.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

I thought that we agreed on the opposite.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

We proved and agreed that the shadow we saw was in fact not "too big", COULD very well stay in the air for six seconds while moving horizontally (a thing a character can already do for some less time), and we also agreed on the fact that it also does not deconfirm Ridley as a playable character.
It seems you people don't have necessarily the same conclusion to the same analyze. So it's just speculation too.
But I'm not saying it's not making a point and you have to throw it away. We can all conclude what we want. Let's be brothers, live in peace and hope for Ridley being playable. :happysheep:

Even if the odds are against him. :denzel:

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
You Know What Guys? .......................Word of advice: never, EVER, mention that you like Metroid or Ridley. people will gang up on you and alienate you, until you are seen as an krazy, insane, fool. people are krool.

Also, Avoid GameXplain. I made the mistake of posting a komment supporting Ridley and bashing them for their ridikule of Ridley fans, and........things got ugly with the other kommenters. BTW, I posted before I was enkourged not to, so.......that kame to bite me in the ***.......

Decided to use "K"'s to support K.Rool now, in kase you were wondering. Ridley's Still my number one, though
I am unsubing to Gameexplaine until Ridley is confirmed. If he is not in I am never going back.

Dr.Megaman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dr.MM20XX
3DS FC
1392-5817-5075
Stop talking about the Japanese event here, it has nothing to do with Ridley and the flier doesn't even hint anything about a character reveal anyway.
I think Ridley is gonna be revealed at a nintendo direct. We could have a new smash direct in August...

EDIT: I fixed the typo

Last edited:

ppbto

Smash Journeyman

Seriously, someone needs to repost "the shadow analysis".

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
So Ridley has now entered my dreams. I think he was revealed in some sort of Prime-esque first-person view and he had a very weird look, like none of the other games he was in (possibly a Fusion-Super mashup?) and it wasn't entirely clear what the hell Sakurai revealed him as, but it was in the style of the directs. It was a wicked cool animation though. I wish I could say more, but I barely remember dreams as it is.
Once Ridley enters your dreams, there is no escape. He's already claimed your mind. You are now enslaved to the the dragon's wishes. Your every waking moment will be in service to our Space Pirate lord. :evil:

So have a nice day!
:bee:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

I don't recall anyone agreeing on that.

I do recall people providing counter-points to those arguments just a little bit above your post.

Top Bottom