• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Return of Wavedashing? Perfect Pivoting Might Be Just That

Is this a big deal?

• Yes, definitely!

Votes: 684 45.8%
  • Not sure yet.

Votes: 538 36.0%
  • No.

Votes: 165 11.0%
  • Who turns items off?

Votes: 107 7.2%

• Total voters

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
I should ask: compared to walking, how much useful is perfect pivoting in comparison?

Defile

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
It's kinda pathetic how everyone is celebrating this discovery as proof that the game has depth. Instead of this perfect-pivoting nonsense, Nintendo could have just brought back dash dancing, a simple technique which unlike perfect-pivoting is intuitive and natural.

But hey, it's not like a majority of Sm4sh fanboys even know what dash dancing is.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
What's going on, Derrit? That title is clickbaity as hell. >_>

Seems like it'll take some time to see how much this affects the metagame. Right now it seems like a good spacing tool, but not as game-defining as wavedashing was.

Str4y

Smash Cadet
Hmm.. I might have missed the pivots carrying the momentum in Smash 64, and with Melee WD was more useful, so I didn't see it used there... And in Brawl it was risky... Now in Sm4sh it is viable and carries momentum, giving you at least some spacing options. So why are we not happy for this? If it doesn't work out, we go back to our lives and our regular metagame. If it does, then it can help players raise the bar in their gameplay. Everyone that is claiming that this is not WD is right, but if viable it still helps making people feel a little more at home. If you can, why not use it? I just feel like this is going weird and quite a few people are comparing instead of learning of the uses it does have. So off my soap box, I am going to try learn this because it looks like it will be fun.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Wow talk about sensationalism. This kind of pivoting already exists in Melee, and yes while it's definitely a nice addition to Smash 4's toolset, calling it "the new wavedashing" as with every other frickin tech under the sun that gets discovered is dishonest and misleading.

Yes, in a couple of cases it bears similarity to how wavedashing might be applied, but it's definitely not comparable.

Also this kind of stuff just fuels the Melee vs Smash 4 stuff, because rather than trying to just say "hey guys here's a cool thing to do", you're saying "hey here's this cool thing that makes the game more like Melee", implying that Melee is in fact, inherently better. Not a good way to go about it. :/
You actually make a lot of sense in your last paragraph.

Though admittedly if it was just about Perfect Pivoting, not mentioning wavedashing, far few people would have looked. XP

Chrishare1

Smash Rookie
NNID
Chrishare2
3DS FC
4296-3188-3029
i had a dream that wavedashing would return in someway in smash 4 and god was i right

B0SHI

Smash Cadet
NNID
Smash-Master69
Hey there is a thingy that I found that apparently no one knows about, I'm gonna call it quick dashing. SO here it is, I think every character has a down dodge by shielding and tapping down quickly and every character also has a crouch, what I found is you can actually dash to crouch, but if you dash to down dodge VERY VERY FAST and go to crouch, you cancel the crouch animation and the dodge, allowing you to dash again very fast. Typically when you go to dash and then dash again in the same direction, there is a slight pause before you can dash again, that is without a pivot or some other stick movement in another direction, with this technique you can use multiple stick movements in one direction, no need for pivoting. I don't have a working recording device but I plan on somehow recording a video of this technique so I can show others as it seems no ones found the dash quick dodge crouch cancel thing yet.Also its ****ing fantastic, you can use it for dash attacks and sliding smash attacks like fox or yoshi's up smash, you can do it into a roll or a boost shield/boost grab, you can do it into a quick hop or hop dodge, you can basically use it universally just like a wavedash.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
It actually looks like it can definitely turn into a Melee fiasco, as much as I hate Melee community some times, this may bring them to Smash 4 and move them on from an outdated game.
What's outdated about it besides graphics? Its mechanically the best smash game. Smash 4 is fun (I play it A LOT)but Melee's its depth and speed will never be matched by any other smash game except unless designed on purpose to.

Last edited:

Melonfrog

Smash Apprentice
Is there a way to perform this without loudly whacking my stick violently in front of everyone? It is uncomfortable for me and my family sitting near me.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
It's an impressive technique with quite a few useful applications.

Let's just hope it doesn't get unwarranted hate for being an advanced technique or "similar to wavedashing."

God forbid someone dislike it for being useful.
I really don't understand that people hate things for being "advanced" or useful... >.>

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
It's a bit disappointing to see something so misleading posted on the front page. It shows a real lack of understand of what wavedashing is or what this is. If anything this is a more restricted and more difficult dash dance that's only good with some characters.
I agree completely.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
This is more like a limited version of dash dancing (with most characters), rather than a wavedash.

And if I'm not mistaken, this was in 64. or maybe every smash game. idk

Last edited:

Grass

Smash Lord
This is more like a limited version of dash dancing (with most characters), rather than a wavedash.

And if I'm not mistaken, this was in 64. or maybe every smash game. idk
you know the irony of this is that people are actually trying to do this. Lol
it's kinda sad tbh.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
It's just not as simple to pull off as Wavedashing, which makes me skeptical on it's use in a fast match. It is usefull yes, however, it's not going to change a ton of things until someone masters it.

Grass

Smash Lord
It's just not as simple to pull off as Wavedashing, which makes me skeptical on it's use in a fast match. It is usefull yes, however, it's not going to change a ton of things until someone masters it.
>Mastering fake wavedashing

LOL

Good luck with that rofl.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
>Mastering fake wavedashing

LOL

Good luck with that rofl.
No no no, I don't mean it to be applied like wavedashing. I personally think it's similar but still has mostly different applications. I was saying that when someone actually masters what this can do, then it'll change the game, maybe. But as of right now, it won't too much.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Let's call this fakedashing to make both supporters and haters happy (it has the pessimistic 'fake' and the optimistic 'dashing' from wavedashing).

ilysm

sleepy
I'm not sure what the deal is with a ton of people dismissing this as 'already known', and 'it was in the other games'. And I'm DEFINITELY not sure about the actual insults that have been flying around over this...for some reason? I mean, first off, I haven't seen this tech which apparently 'everyone knows' being used in competitive play AT ALL. If I'm wrong, someone please direct me to a video (preferably multiple unrelated videos to prove the point). It seems like it could be a fairly useful spacing tool for the characters with good ones (Falcon, Luigi, Mac, etc).

The article didn't seem to compare Smash 4 to Melee, or imply that Melee is inherently a better game. It just said that perhaps if this technique came to prevalence it might help Melee fans enjoy the game more. It did say that Melee fans have bemoaned the game. And not to make any generalizations, but for the most part they have. Sometimes incessantly. I can't hate on Melee. Melee had its flaws (almost every game does, really), but it was great! It was a well-designed, fast-paced game that required an extremely high level of tech skill to be good at. I just don't see the point of wasting energy by coming out of the woodwork, being dismissive to the writers, mocking the players of this game, and at worst acting superior and entitled because you believe the game you enjoy the most objectively leaves Smash 4 in the dust (which, objectively, it does not, and I'll explain why).

I mean, you could just as easily spend the time you spent looking at a Smash 4 video and continuing to criticize a game that you, in your own right, don't enjoy to do something else. If people never accept anything less than a perfect remake of the game they enjoy the most, it confuses me as to why they'd play or bother to read about anything other than that game.

Melee was an awesome game. Smash 4 is very different and brings its own things to the table. It's also really awesome. I mean. Yikes. This community, in comparison to a ton of communities for other fighting games, is by far the kindest, friendliest, and most accepting I have EVER seen. And this is the one topic that suddenly turns everyone ugly. You could just as easily (more easily) play the game you enjoy and just leave the people who play the one you don't alone. Quit bashing Melee, and Melee fans. Quit bashing Smash 4, and Smash 4 fans. I mean, legitimate critiques are totally cool (Smash 4, for example, is admittedly a touch slower and easier than Melee, while Melee was a bit less balanced in terms of character viability than Smash 4). It doesn't take much effort to keep it civil. But please, just quit acting like a ton of children bickering on a playground.

Last edited:

Grass

Smash Lord
No no no, I don't mean it to be applied like wavedashing. I personally think it's similar but still has mostly different applications. I was saying that when someone actually masters what this can do, then it'll change the game, maybe. But as of right now, it won't too much.
let's be real here. It won't change how people play smash 4. This isn't like the first time someone discovered wavedashing and revolutionized how fast competitive game play is or isn't. This is just some ploy to try to make a "BRAWL-LIKE" game seem competitive.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Yeah but can you moonwalk?
Am I missing something?
I can't believe anyone fed this trolls first comment actually. People got warning in here for saying popcorn and @ MarioMeteor MarioMeteor first comment was troll bait to the max bruh
The word popcorn didn't escape my mouth. I expressed my dislike for a certain crowd and my wishes not to replicate said crowd. What kind of horrible person am I?

Grass

Smash Lord
I'm not sure what the deal is with a ton of people dismissing this as 'already known', and 'it was in the other games'. And I'm DEFINITELY not sure about the actual insults that have been flying around over this...for some reason? I mean, first off, I haven't seen this tech which apparently 'everyone knows' being used in competitive play AT ALL. If I'm wrong, someone please direct me to a video (preferably multiple unrelated videos to prove the point). It seems like it could be a fairly useful spacing tool for the characters with good ones (Falcon, Luigi, Mac, etc).

The article didn't seem to compare Smash 4 to Melee, or imply that Melee is inherently a better game. It just said that perhaps if this technique came to prevalence it might help Melee fans enjoy the game more. It did say that Melee fans have bemoaned the game. And not to make any generalizations, but for the most part they have. Sometimes incessantly. I can't hate on Melee. Melee had its flaws (almost every game does, really), but it was great! It was a well-designed, fast-paced game that required an extremely high level of tech skill to be good at. I just don't see the point of wasting energy by coming out of the woodwork, being dismissive to the writers, mocking the players of this game, and at worst acting superior and entitled because you believe the game you enjoy the most objectively leaves Smash 4 in the dust (which, objectively, it does not, and I'll explain why).

I mean, you could just as easily spend the time you spent looking at a Smash 4 video and continuing to criticize a game that you, in your own right, don't enjoy to do something else. If people never accept anything less than a perfect remake of the game they enjoy the most, it confuses me as to why they'd play or bother to read about anything other than that game.

Melee was an awesome game. Smash 4 is very different and brings its own things to the table. It's also really awesome. I mean. Yikes. This community, in comparison to a ton of communities for other fighting games, is by far the kindest, friendliest, and most accepting I have EVER seen. And this is the one topic that suddenly turns everyone ugly. You could just as easily (more easily) play the game you enjoy and just leave the people who play the one you don't alone. Quit bashing Melee, and Melee fans. Quit bashing Smash 4, and Smash 4 fans. I mean, legitimate critiques are totally cool (Smash 4, for example, is admittedly a touch slower and easier than Melee, while Melee was a bit less balanced in terms of character viability than Smash 4). It doesn't take much effort to keep it civil. But please, just quit acting like a ton of children bickering on a playground.
>tl;dr I think this will be good for the game as it's new and it gives people hope for competitive smash 4.

>my response: Lol no

Plebiscuit

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
CARL#168
I thought we could keep those elitist wavecheaters locked in the hell that is Melee, but I guess I was wrong. Next they'll rediscover more broken techs like L-cheating and ruin our game with more unfair cheap broken physics glitches. They spanked us once, but never again.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Call me crazy, but my biggest question right now is:
Is this a glitch or a deliberately implemented game mechanic?
I doubt it is deliberate.... It seems with all of the slightly more advanced (the word 'advanced' being used very loosely, mind you) techniques, there's a hint box that will educate you about its existence.

However, I also don't think it is a glitch. Someone else mentioned that it has been around for some of the past installments, so yeah.

Perfect Pivoting has just kinda been there, and no one really seems to care.... UNTIL NOW.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
let's be real here. It won't change how people play smash 4. This isn't like the first time someone discovered wavedashing and revolutionized how fast competitive game play is or isn't. This is just some ploy to try to make a "BRAWL-LIKE" game seem competitive.
Ah, I get where you're coming from, however, this does have use, as shown off in the video. My point was that uses like these won't be very active for a while until people are confident enough in their ability to do it consistently.
Also, why bother posting on a Smash 4 post if you are so against it? Retorically, not actually asking for an answer because that for SURE will not be relatable and will likely just turn into some petty argument that people like you like to cause. Like you, not necessarily saying you do.

goodspeed87

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai should've just implemented wave-dashing but with a very minor internal cooldown (so you can't just skate across an entire stage in a single second) or with a tiny spot of end-lag.

Grass

Smash Lord
Ah, I get where you're coming from, however, this does have use, as shown off in the video. My point was that uses like these won't be very active for a while until people are confident enough in their ability to do it consistently.
Also, why bother posting on a Smash 4 post if you are so against it? Retorically, not actually asking for an answer because that for SURE will not be relatable and will likely just turn into some petty argument that people like you like to cause. Like you, not necessarily saying you do.
okay, time to break down the nonsense in this post.

1. There is no "active" in this sense at all. And I apologize if I sound elitist by saying this but, people like Mang0 and M2K still retain their skills from Melee and while I've seen both arguments of why a lot of melee players dislike this game and agree with them. I think they have a point. So yes, I agree with mew2king. I agree with Mang0. Or as mang0 once said "It just feels like brawl."
  2. There is no issue of confidence. As people have said earlier, this isn't really a viable technique that can be implemented for mind games/spacing/etc. You can be confident in your ability to do this action, but it won't make you a better player by learning it.
  3. I was never against smash 4. I picked it up, played it, liked it, and had fun. I move back to melee. Simple as that.
  4. I'm not some petty melee fgt who thinks so highly of himself that I would instantly say Melee > Smash 4. I would like to point out that although a great deal has changed since Brawl (read: engine mods), the game does not feel fast like Melee. I can understand Sakurai's point in trying to make a fun party game for "casuals" but for those of us who enjoy the competitive aspect and can make something of it despite the lack of competitive nature of said game is something that the community should be proud of. That is all I'm saying.

Gummyfang

Smash Rookie
Hmm.. I'll have to try that out once I save up enough for it. I don't have melee anymore since my brother has it . He also has the game on an emulator on his laptop. So far I've only been able to practice via N64. I'm a beginner so it would be a long while before I get there, but until then I gotta keep on truckin'.

Top Bottom