• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Return of Wavedashing? Perfect Pivoting Might Be Just That

Is this a big deal?

• Yes, definitely!

Votes: 684 45.8%
  • Not sure yet.

Votes: 538 36.0%
  • No.

Votes: 165 11.0%
  • Who turns items off?

Votes: 107 7.2%

• Total voters

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
I never said that, I said "as much as I hate the Melee community some times" Keywords are 'Some' and 'Times', because they're not ALL bad people, mainly the high leveled players. But the new comers to the Melee scene, or followers of it are the worst. I was in a live stream earlier and people kept comparing Melee Mario to Sm4sh Mario, like really? That's where " change" comes into play, people. It started a whole argument about Melee vs Sm4sh as well, so I just left the stream, that's what Melee arguments do in a Smash 4 stream. I don't hate the WHOLE melee community, but the dumb elitist who bash a new game for not being Melee is what gets me. If you don't like change, that's on you, but don't go to the new game section and start bashing it for not being Melee, again, Walmart and your favorite Super Market comparison. What you prefer isn't what we all prefer.
Elitist is such a dumb word. Smash4 and brawl weren't changes they were complete overhauls of a much beloved game. If it happened to any other competitive game the backlash would be the same. Sorry you have to take the heat but I don't know how people are surprised when the new games aren't well received.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Elitist is such a dumb word. Smash4 and brawl weren't changes they were complete overhauls of a much beloved game. If it happened to any other competitive game the backlash would be the same. Sorry you have to take the heat but I don't know how people are surprised when the new games aren't well received.
Brawl was well-received.....just...by the melee casuals who just liked smash for smash, and others that found the series for the first time.....but it DID basically give the middle finger to the melee competitive scene, admittedly ^^''

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
This is in Brawl,
and Melee,
and Smash64,

and isn't remotely comparable to Wavedashing since you can't do it mid run, can't do it after the very brief start of the initial dash due to the lack of extended dash dancing, can't do it from the air, can't use it to get on from the ledge, and can't go forward with it.

Last edited:

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
I actually found this accidentally several weeks ago, but I thought it was too inconsistent to be reliable. I called it "dash-canceled pivot."

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
This is in Brawl,
and Melee,
and Smash64,

and isn't remotely comparable to Wavedashing since you can't do it mid run, can't do it after the very brief start of the initial dash due to the lack of extended dash dancing, can't do it from the air, can't use it to get on from the ledge, and can't go forward with it.
You can do it from a foxtrot if that counts.
Also isn't it ONLY done in the beginning of the dash, or am I missing something? XP

Also wavelanding is not wavedashing, its just using the same exploit right? :O Just wonderin.

(BTW, it seems you CAN go forward with it, just not as much)

It's definitely not like a 'wavedash' but I find it nifty. Especially without the danger of tripping.

Last edited:

Engage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WeegeeUser
It's not even that, everyone has preference, but what I'm saying is, I don't like when people from the Melee community go to the Sm4sh community and start bring up "LOL FALCO COMBO IN SMASH 4 LUUUUUUULLLLLLLLL" like come on, really mate? No other fighting game community besides Street Fighter 3rd Strike players and Street Fighter 4 players has this problem. And even for them, it's not constantly, on every live stream, why would they waste their time bashing a game they don't like, instead of playing one they DO like?

Elitist is what they truly are, they will act as if their game is the best, and that no other can exist. And if you don't agree with them, you're automatically a 'failure at video games' to them.

Also, the new games were well received, Smash 4 is just more received than Brawl was, as it's catering to both Competitive and non-competitive scenes.

You can do it from a foxtrot if that counts.
Also isn't it ONLY done in the beginning of the dash, or am I missing something? XP
Also wavelanding is not wavedashing, its just using the same exploit right? :O Just wonderin.
(BTW, it seems you CAN go forward with it, just not as much)
It's definitely not like a 'wavedash' but I find it nifty. Especially without the danger of tripping.
To what you said earlier, I agree, this feels a lot more like Melee than Brawl, as it;'s speedy. And, wave landing and dashing are the same to an extent but I won't get into that Melee stuff. You can Perfect Pivot into a lot of options, I found it most useful for one of the characters I use, Sonic. I can perfect Pivot into an up tilt or down tilt a lot.

Last edited:

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
It's not even that, everyone has preference, but what I'm saying is, I don't like when people from the Melee community go to the Sm4sh community and start bring up "LOL FALCO COMBO IN SMASH 4 LUUUUUUULLLLLLLLL" like come on, really mate? No other fighting game community besides Street Fighter 3rd Strike players and Street Fighter 4 players has this problem. And even for them, it's not constantly, on every live stream, why would they waste their time bashing a game they don't like, instead of playing one they DO like?

Elitist is what they truly are, they will act as if their game is the best, and that no other can exist. And if you don't agree with them, you're automatically a 'failure at video games' to them.
Elitist is just a funny word for you to call it, I think your in your own head when your bothered by these things. I think melee is the best, and that's why I play it. If you mainly play smash4 I hope you think it is the best. Everyone should think their favourite game is the best....that's why it becomes their favourite game.

Wyverian

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5472-6896-8093
I kinda like this. But at the same time, it may take more fiddling with.
It could probably be done without smashing the stick too lol. Knowing me...I probably wont use it much anyway.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Elitist is just a funny word for you to call it, I think your in your own head when your bothered by these things. I think melee is the best, and that's why I play it. If you mainly play smash4 I hope you think it is the best. Everyone should think their favourite game is the best....that's why it becomes their favourite game.
I'd say that's not quite true ALL the time.

There are some people that will admit they think another game in a series is somewhat superior, but they still prefer that one for X reason.

Though it often has to do with nostalgia. But that's a different story.

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
Seeing as this has been in the series since the original, I don't consider this a new tech. Also, why would you call this "perfect pivoting"? It's called a pivot. Furthermore, turning around during a full sprint and sliding to a stop is not pivoting (I'm assuming that's what Brawl and Sm4sh players call pivoting). "Perfect pivoting" sounds like an advanced pivot that has even more uses than a typical pivot (which this is, btw).

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Hope there's a better tutorial or something. I only kinda got it and my friends are struggling pretty bad. :/

Actually, most of them would rather give up smash instead of dealing with the imput on a regular basis. Yaknow, why they chose SSB4 over Melee.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Quite a few people were talking about how this is an intended mechanic or Sakurai knows about it so he won't patch it out. You do know Sakurai did know about wavedashing right? Wavedashing itself wasn't new to him. It was the applications seen in tournament play. If this somehow becomes big, Sakurai would remove it.

Not that it will though. This is apparently in every Smash game. It didn't revolutionize Brawl so why would it this game?

42rockjock

Smash Cadet
this isn't a big deal. this has been out since the 3ds version and no one has bothered used this in a tournament yet

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
This is why I feel Smash 4 is great and has a good balance of all the things various smashers want.

Actually, people have already found out about pivot techniques and dash dancing and perfect pivoting (as far back as months before the 3DS release), just no one seems to have really realized how similar it is to wavedashing.

I can't wait to see what Smash 4 will be like!

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
I've seen some posts stating that this has been around sense Smash 64 so it's not that relevant. I have a response to that. Apart from 64 (who's metagame I don't know) this hasn't ever been a viable enough option to be experimented with. In melee wavedashing completely outclasses this and in brawl, the constant threat of tripping made this less viable. I'm still not sure about 64 but in Smash 4, it actually has potential as a viable tech option..... Possibly.

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
In order for this to be deemed useful, someone has to be bold enough to use this technique in a tournament and win convincingly. We can't just say "look, this thing is the new meta" if that thing isn't worth using. Just because it looks like a wavedash doesn't mean it functions exactly like one.

That being said, I'm personally going to practice this and I hope (but not necessarily expect) this technique to acquire a following.

BrianAure

Smash Cadet
Id call it a physics exploit, like wavedashing. This definitely isnt a glitch because its normal behavior, and its definitely not intended because if they wanted to put something like this in the game they would make it easier.

also I think this is going to wreck control sticks after a lot of use, faster than other ATs would.
I aggressively dash danced for 1 year and my control stick is still working properly. Gamecube controller has some sort of nokia material in it :|

AJawesome07

Smash Apprentice
A small part of me thinks that this was implemented by Sakurai on purpose. Yes, Nintendo hasn't been the most supportive of competitive smash, but, if you've been paying attention, they're getting much better.

Maybe this is a "(wink) we see you, competitive smashers" kinda thing from Nintendo.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong, and it's just an exploitation of the physics engine.

BananaBolts

I've seen some posts stating that this has been around sense Smash 64 so it's not that relevant. I have a response to that. Apart from 64 (who's metagame I don't know) this hasn't ever been a viable enough option to be experimented with. In melee wavedashing completely outclasses this and in brawl, the constant threat of tripping made this less viable. I'm still not sure about 64 but in Smash 4, it actually has potential as a viable tech option..... Possibly.
As a member of the 64 community and a Falcon main, pivots are indeed useful. I could get into the various applications but there's no reason to tell you unless you're extremely curious. Pivots in 64 are also 5 times easier too. Furthermore, pivots in 64 are FAR more useful than they are in Sm4sh. This is true for falcon and fox, at least.

JipC

Smash Journeyman
I'm seeing a lot of people say this was already in Brawl and is getting overhyped, is that really true? Why did it not "revolutionize" Brawl if so?

Fancy

Smash Cadet
NNID
FancyChicken
I don't think it will be used often. I can do it, but I don't think I could ever incoperrate it into my regular play. I don't know why melee's air dodging didn't return in smash bros 4, I mean it's only competitive if you want it to be, which to me strikes the perfect balance between casual and competitive play. Other than that I love Smash 4.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I don't see how it's a game changer. Also, I've been trying to pull it off, but I keep dashing in the opposite direction.

Fig Newton

Smash Cadet
NNID
Figglypuff
I really do believe this mechanic will change the meta game once the majority of the community picks up on it. This just might also be the main reason for Melee players to pick up Smash 4 and allow the game to continue growing for many years to come. My only concern when it comes to perfect pivoting is that Sakurai will notice this technique be used in tournaments and then patch it in order to prevent casual and hardcore players to be even more split. Hopefully that doesn't happen in the near future.

BananaBolts

I really do believe this mechanic will change the meta game once the majority of the community picks up on it. This just might also be the main reason for Melee players to pick up Smash 4 and allow the game to continue growing for many years to come. My only concern when it comes to perfect pivoting is that Sakurai will notice this technique be used in tournaments and then patch it in order to prevent casual and hardcore players to be even more split. Hopefully that doesn't happen in the near future.
Ehh... pivoting is already in every smash game to date. This isn't anything new so it won't attract much attention outside of the Smash 4 player base. I don't think patching this is simple at all. Sakurai builds his physics engines in such a way that pivoting always finds its way into the game.

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
Two things.

Don't associate this as the new version of wavedashing. It's just going to confuse people in the long run.

Wavedashing and pivoting two completely different things:
  • Wavedashing at it's core is a momentum exploit. Pivoting at it's core is a dash exploit.
  • Pivoting is in every Smash game. Wavedashing is only in Melee and Project M.
  • Both techniques require different inputs. Pivoting is canceling your dash turn around animation with an attack.
  • Wavedashing is using an airdodge's momentum to push you into the floor. Depending on your character's traction you'll slide a little.
  • Wavedashing does not exist in Smash 4, but momentum exploits like the Bowser claw slide does.
Second thing, can we please not have tech that's abbreviated as 'PP'?

BananaBolts

• Both techniques require different inputs. Pivoting is canceling your dash turn around animation with an attack.
Correction: Pivots do not require an attack to be executed

Second thing, can we please not have tech that's abbreviated as 'PP'?
Well, this tech should just be called a "pivot" in the first place because that's exactly what it is. Brawl screwed up the terminology when players started calling it a pivot when a character turned around during a full sprint. I would consider this AT a pivot, not a perfect pivot.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
It says pivoting also works on the 3DS, but keep in mind that there isn't C stick on the original 3DS. And my circle pad isn't flexible enough to do it many times. My hands aways crams iff by doing pivoting on the 3DS.

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
Lol Diddys over head arm reach pissed me off more then any bootleg wavedash techniques

NotaSkeleton

Smash Cadet
Like many have pointed out, it really is different from wavedashing in that it's not as useful. Not only is it not usable mid-air or while landing, but, it doesn't allow the use of a jab facing the same direction as you're moving. As stated above, it probably won't be used as consistently as wavedashing either, which was a fairly simple input in comparison. All I can really see this being used for is subtle spacing manoeuvres, which might make for some neat, though very situational advantages. But, again, not really that big of a deal, in my opinion. Similar pivot techniques have been around for quite a while, no?
I have a sneaking suspicion that those who discovered that the AT was still present in Smash 4 kept quiet of it until now, due to the fear of having it ''fixed'' in a patch. However, with Sakurai saying there are no plans for further balancing patches outside ''glaring issues'', the chance of this getting patched out seems rather small.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Here's why this wasn't used in other Smash games

Melee - Wavedashing outclasses it
Brawl - Tripping

IDK about 64, but hey, if there's an available option, use it, amirite?

I personally plan to practice this, at least to be able to use it without worry. Just in case.

Last edited:

Blitzern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blitzern
People need to stop comparing this to wavedashing in Melee and PM. It's a new game, and with it comes new tech. It doesn't matter if its as good as the wavedashing in other games; what matters is how this might advance SSB4's metagame.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
People need to stop comparing this to wavedashing in Melee and PM. It's a new game, and with it comes new tech. It doesn't matter if its as good as the wavedashing in other games; what matters is how this might advance SSB4's metagame.
It did work to draw a crowd though, admittedly.

Top Bottom