• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Return of Wavedashing? Perfect Pivoting Might Be Just That

Is this a big deal?

• Yes, definitely!

Votes: 684 45.8%
  • Not sure yet.

Votes: 538 36.0%
  • No.

Votes: 165 11.0%
  • Who turns items off?

Votes: 107 7.2%

• Total voters

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Nobody expected there to be wavedashing of any sort in Smash 4. After it was removed in Brawl, it was clear it wasn't coming back. Melee fans bemoaned the lack of spacing options without it, but Brawl moved on without. However, Smash 4 has a technique that mimics wavedashing, allowing players to find their spacing much more precisely than they could otherwise. It's called perfect pivoting, and it just might revolutionize how people play Smash 4 in the future.

What does that look like to you?

Perfect pivoting is exactly what it sounds like - a quick pivot. However, it stopped perfectly, characters hold some momentum and slide across the stage. The length varies by character. For instance, Jigglypuff's perfect pivot is short, while Luigi's is long. You can also perform attack out of them - jabs, tilts, smashes and grabs are all game. Starting to sound familiar yet?

YouTube channel My Smash Corner uploaded a video detailing the technique and its uses. Check out the video below and see it for yourself.

What do you think? Is this the second coming of wavedashing? Or will it be deemed useless and left behind? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit thinks this looks hard to do consistently, but then again so was wavedashing at first. Chat with him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Fitting that this is brought to light AFTER Sakurai states 1.04 is the last patch.

Maybe he'll lie and patch it just to screw over those who bother to master it.

That would suck. :sadsheep:

Regardless, stuff keeps coming.

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Whilst it certainly looks to be useful and of similar utility to a wavedash, I wouldn't call it "The second coming of wavedashing". Maybe I'm nitpicking but the length of perfect pivoting based on the video doesn't even compare to some of the longer wavedashes (like Luigi's) and you don't face the same direction the entire time (which could be an interesting aspect for Robin and Shulk players to exploit, who knows?).

Nonetheless I'm going to be labbing this really hard when I get the Wii U version. My character loves more ways to space her moves.

LyonDRC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LyonDRC
And here I am, having trouble doing shorthops to fastfalls....

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
What? We've known about this since early in the 3DS release. Hardly news. It's a nice technique. It doesn't solve the huge problem that this game has just about zero OTG game. Which is a huge, defining part of Smash in all 3 previous games. Rolls/Techs/Spots are just too fast.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Warning Received
Edit: Nothing to see here. Continue scrolling.

~Space Stranger

Last edited:

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
I'm pretty sure it won't revolutionize the game, but I think it's helpful like doing perfect pivot to down smash

Engage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WeegeeUser
It actually looks like it can definitely turn into a Melee fiasco, as much as I hate Melee community some times, this may bring them to Smash 4 and move them on from an outdated game.

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
I don't see this as useful as wavedash and why would people want something simlar to WD all of sudden considering all the hate and crying you hear from brawl players and this game is similar to brawl.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
It's an impressive technique with quite a few useful applications.

Let's just hope it doesn't get unwarranted hate for being an advanced technique or "similar to wavedashing."

God forbid someone dislike it for being useful.

Last edited:

Nergal69

Smash Apprentice
Who knows where Smash 4 can go now, now that new techniques are being discovered.

TheGoldMan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheGoldMan
3DS FC
1950-8066-7015
Will this work with wireless controllers? I use a GC controller which is plugged into an adapter, which then plugs into the Wiimote so it has slight input lag.

Silic0n

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silic0n
Will this work with wireless controllers? I use a GC controller which is plugged into an adapter, which then plugs into the Wiimote so it has slight input lag.
As long as you can get the timing down, then I don't see why it wouldn't.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Seeing as adapters are still unavailable, I use the Wii U pro and the gamepad (when I'm upstairs "studying"). Perfect pivoting is entirely doable with both.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
No. Perfect Pivoting has little utility. We've known about it for a while and it's gone nowhere. It's not significant or relevant.

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
Oh my god... Smash 4 continues to get better and better. Wavedashing V2 is finally here.

Leland527

Smash Rookie
Ok here I go.

I am a huge Project M advocate and love both Melee and PM and have had serious issues getting into the new game. Wavedashing and Perfect Pivoting are NOT even COMPARABLE. One of the biggest advantages of wavedashing is the lightning quick speed on platforms and landing it provides, something perfect pivoting, due to its reliance on a run, does not allow. Additionally as mentioned by RascalTheCharizard (above in the comments) and a few other users, wavedash lengths are so much longer than perfect pivot lengths, for gods sake luigi and squirtle (PM) can wavedash across final destination in 3 wavedashes (no time at all) and on battlefield and other platform layouts the fast mobility around the stage is unmatched. This is a cool little trick but it won't amount to much and won't ever near the usefulness of wavedashing or any other melee/pm tech

Galespark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Galespark
It's funny that this has been known since the game released on 3DS but nobody bothered to master it. Now that finally someone did (to some degree) and makes a video about it, people freak out.

I've been trying to use this since 3DS and its harder than actual wavedash. But I think that if Smash4 players really try to master it, it can become something in the meta.

Pyr

Smash Lord
No. Perfect Pivoting has little utility. We've known about it for a while and it's gone nowhere. It's not significant or relevant.
All options are significant and relevant. Wavedashing started as a silly little show-off thing and eventually blossomed into what it is today.

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
You know, this may not be nearly as useful as wavedashing is, but every little bit helps. Let's be positive, and try to implement it into the metagame.

until mashpotato sokkerei patches it out ololololololololo

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Call me crazy, but my biggest question right now is:
Is this a glitch or a deliberately implemented game mechanic?

Loki

Smash Apprentice
Altough much less strong and useful, perfect pivot looks like a more balanced wavedash, wich I smile upon.

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
I think it's too annoying to do consistently to be as reliable as wavedashing was but at least it's a step in the right direction this game needs more movement options

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
Call me crazy, but my biggest question right now is:
Is this a glitch or a deliberately implemented game mechanic?
Id call it a physics exploit, like wavedashing. This definitely isnt a glitch because its normal behavior, and its definitely not intended because if they wanted to put something like this in the game they would make it easier.

also I think this is going to wreck control sticks after a lot of use, faster than other ATs would.

Last edited:
Top Bottom