• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Return of Wavedashing? Perfect Pivoting Might Be Just That

Is this a big deal?

• Yes, definitely!

Votes: 684 45.8%
  • Not sure yet.

Votes: 538 36.0%
  • No.

Votes: 165 11.0%
  • Who turns items off?

Votes: 107 7.2%

• Total voters

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
It's funny that this has been known since the game released on 3DS but nobody bothered to master it. Now that finally someone did (to some degree) and makes a video about it, people freak out.

I've been trying to use this since 3DS and its harder than actual wavedash. But I think that if Smash4 players really try to master it, it can become something in the meta.
This is much, much easier than wavedashing. It is literally just two directional inputs on the left stick. The timing is a bit tricky, but once you get it once it's easy enough to get it consistently...

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I hate that crowd that hates on the melee crowd cause they dont like the new games because they are not melee. You know which ones I'm talking about.
I hate the crowd that hates the crowd the hates the Melee crowd cause they don't like games that aren't Melee. See? I can do it too.
So people should just shut their mouths, is that your solution?
Ha, I wish it were that simple.

Last edited:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I hate the crowd that hates the crowd the hates the Melee crowd cause they don't like games that aren't Melee. See? I can do it too.
Clearly that point just flew right over your head, but you think that.

Anyways, this technique is no wavedash for sure (probably derpdash, but pivot sounds more formal) and doesn't seem very applicable than what the video points out. But I wouldn't say it's not useful though. Just needs the right characters to pull it off to the point it'll might be very useful.

NQuad1Zero

Smash Cadet
Can I just say: How does this tech help reverse aerial rushes and upsmashes? This "Faster alternative" is literally dashing, flicking back and jumping towards enemy using the initial dash, like I'm not sure that classifies as an alternative to RAR but actually IS what RAR is.

As for Upsmashes, you can already cancel your dash into an Upsmash into this game, why do you need to make it harder by inputting the opposite direction and upsmashing?

I also want to ask some of the others as to why they think this tech would be easier than wavedashing. Wavedashing can be done on 2 hands, you just press the jump key and hold diagonal+L (or R if you're weird like me), like you're just pressing 2 keys immediately after 1 key. Whereas for this pivot move, you have to not only do it on 1 finger, but how far you push the stick matters as well.

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
I don't understand why so many people are looking down at this because it's not as good as wavedashing. Melee'a speed and movement options demand a farther way to space so wavedashing is perfectly fine there, but peoe are looking at perfect pivoting as if they were to use it in Melee. The speed of melee is miles faster than Smash 4 so perfect pivoting compensates for that difference of speed. It might seem hard to do, but after practicing on training mode for only 10 minutes, it practically becomes muscle memory. It's just like how wavedashing was supposedly difficult to do when it was first discovered. Now that perfect pivoting is relevant it's gonna take some time before people can use it effectively.

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
This is stupid, Nintendo, do your dang job and patch EVERYTHING for this game. After-all, you've apparently 'balanced' the game *laughs* Don't be lazy, keep patching all this unnecessary stuff.

Oh, and I've mastered Perfect pivots due to Brawl not Smash-4. Thanks.

Last edited:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I can't believe anyone fed this trolls first comment actually. People got warning in here for saying popcorn and @ MarioMeteor MarioMeteor first comment was troll bait to the max bruh
I guess doom-saying about so-called Melee purists/fans/"insert grouping word here" not liking the game for generalized reasons (its not Melee, hurr durr its bads) is not that insulting to warrant a report for most people. Not to mention most people on this site now are hive-minded to like Brawl and up more than anything, so comments like these are pretty common now.

YoshiplayerX

Smash Apprentice
This is not as gamechanging as wavedashing but it will be important to confuse the opponents and hit with smashes or something.

Mangoh862

Smash Apprentice
Dear Arceus, I hope Daddy Sakurai doesn't remove this.... but he did say he didn't like wavedashing..... but he also said [indirectly] that the dev team does consider it a competitive game..... oh the agony!!!

Yikarur

Smash Master
This was already in Brawl and no one wanted to learn it. I don't thnk it will be any different in Smash 4.

-_Face_-

Smash Apprentice
can anyone speak as to how much more / less difficult this is than wavedashing? I'm not real big on Smash4 but the inputs for this almost look more difficult and frame tight than wavedashing (depending on you character of course).

Yikarur

Smash Master
You dash in one direction.
In the first 5 frames of the dash you lick the stick in the opposite direction.
On that very frame you either release the stick to stand or you input a move to do the move.
it's far easier to instantly do a move out of it because it doesn't require you to release the stick. But to stand neutral you have to flick and release the stick in 1 frame.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
I came across this last night, because my little brother complained that he couldn't Crab Walk with Link, like he could in Brawl.

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
1. It's actually harder than wavedashing because, despite simpler controller input, the timing is much more precise
2. Barely offers any benefit in an actual fight
3. Can leave you a lot more vulnerable
4. Does not at all offset the mostly defensive nature of the game

It really won't change anything. But it will be funny to watch the Reddit kiddies obsess over this for a month before realizing it's not worth it. If you want competitive Smash so bad, play Melee or P:M.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
This is much, much easier than wavedashing. It is literally just two directional inputs on the left stick. The timing is a bit tricky, but once you get it once it's easy enough to get it consistently...
I'd be inclined to say that if one could do this consistently, then they should also be able to wavedash consistently.

can anyone speak as to how much more / less difficult this is than wavedashing? I'm not real big on Smash4 but the inputs for this almost look more difficult and frame tight than wavedashing (depending on you character of course).
Personal experience, but this is a lot harder to do than wavedashing. I've been trying to drill this tech into my hands since the wii u version came out but it takes a lot of precision that I don't have with my left thumb exclusively.

Wavedash can be done with both hands, so I WD with the right. It's also significantly easier because of that, for me at least.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Just went on For Glory, and my last three opponents tried this:glare:
AHAHA

This made me laugh more than it should have. (the face at the end made it for me)

This thing is getting popular all of a sudden...XP

Also I'm MUCH better doing this to the right than to the left....strange...

I need practice with it, regardless.

grandpappy

Where's the beef?
NNID
eyeplaybass
3DS FC
5343-9859-5848
This is WAY overhyped IMO. But meh, I guess I'll wait to see if anybody can make it look good in tournament.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Guys. If tripping was the reason this was unexplored in Brawl, then pivot grabbing, fox trotting, and DACUS would've been unexplored too. People didn't fear tripping THAT much. It was still terrible, but people dashed around just fine.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
This is WAY overhyped IMO. But meh, I guess I'll wait to see if anybody can make it look good in tournament.
I don't think it's overhyped. Most people are still waiting for the same thign you are. Some are very impressed, I will admit, but an equal amountof people seem to think it worthless.
Guys. If tripping was the reason this was unexplored in Brawl, then pivot grabbing, fox trotting, and DACUS would've been unexplored too. People didn't fear tripping THAT much. It was still terrible, but people dashed around just fine.
Foxtrotting was only good with Sonic, as far as I remember, and even then it was risky. And DACUS and Pivot Grabbing didn't involve multiple dashes.

The consistency here is the key.

Engage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WeegeeUser
I just realized, there's no point to doing this on anyone I use, as all of their movement speeds are too slow for this to help. It's only helpful for characters who are fast, like Sheik or Sonic or Falcon.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I just realized, there's no point to doing this on anyone I use, as all of their movement speeds are too slow for this to help. It's only helpful for characters who are fast, like Sheik or Sonic or Falcon.
Not necessarily, it can be good on average-speed characters as well, such as Mario and Pit.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Luckily Nintendo might not be against an AT that makes people break their controllers and buy new ones constantly. So this one might stay unpatched.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Luckily Nintendo might not be against an AT that makes people break their controllers and buy new ones constantly. So this one might stay unpatched.
I think you literally just guessed Nintendo's business model.

"Make them break their sh*t"

Engage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WeegeeUser
I think you literally just guessed Nintendo's business model.

"Make them break their sh*t"
Lol, if only they could patch this. It's In the physic's engine, they can't remove this one. Just like how Vector got changed to DI and stuff because of issues Vectoring had.

Gionni

Smash Apprentice
I think this can be really useful, today I played some games against a friend using this technique and there is clearly a lot of uses for it, for the people that say it isn't worthed to master I can only say that they're just lazy, just you wait that mew2king masters it then everybody will use it

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Well perfect pivoting is also possible in Melee and especially in PM (except there is no momentum kept) and it has some applications but its major disadvantage is that you can't do it OoS

Last edited:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Wow talk about sensationalism. This kind of pivoting already exists in Melee, and yes while it's definitely a nice addition to Smash 4's toolset, calling it "the new wavedashing" as with every other frickin tech under the sun that gets discovered is dishonest and misleading.

Yes, in a couple of cases it bears similarity to how wavedashing might be applied, but it's definitely not comparable.

Also this kind of stuff just fuels the Melee vs Smash 4 stuff, because rather than trying to just say "hey guys here's a cool thing to do", you're saying "hey here's this cool thing that makes the game more like Melee", implying that Melee is in fact, inherently better. Not a good way to go about it. :/

Top Bottom