• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Return of Wavedashing? Perfect Pivoting Might Be Just That

Is this a big deal?

• Yes, definitely!

Votes: 684 45.8%
  • Not sure yet.

Votes: 538 36.0%
  • No.

Votes: 165 11.0%
  • Who turns items off?

Votes: 107 7.2%

• Total voters

Polar Bair

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jac398
This was in Brawl, and it wasn't exactly the miracle tech. You can't do it out of a run, it turns you around, and it doesn't have any sort of wavelanding equivalent.

Definitely good tech to have, but nothing revolutionary.

Last edited:

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
Alright so when I perfect pivot sometimes I get my character to do a THIRD turn after the pivot. I feel like it would be my control stick bouncing back into place too hard, but I've tried on 3 different controllers with different characters. Anyone experiencing this?
I do. Its caused by an over return of the control stick.

LyonDRC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LyonDRC
the filthy casual is real

this will literally do nothing for the game, this is NOT the equivalent of wavedashing, and if you think so, i doubt you've ever played melee competitively
There aren't any local tournaments where I live so you can't blame me for having trouble doing that. All I have is online :/

Pee-Gcuatro20

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pee-G.quatro20
3DS FC
3540-1271-4845
Omfg! X( i just keep dash dancing!! This definitely isn't easy but i must master this

Last edited:

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
This looks like it really opens the options available for some characters. Calling it the next wave dash is... uhh not really true

G-Dub

Smash Journeyman
Its not goddamned wavedashing. It's totally different and can't be used in the same ****ing sense. You can't perfect pivot and then ledge grab right?
No.
Please stop.
Why would you need to perfect pivot and grab a ledge when you can quarter circle turn to grab ledges in this game... If you wanted to make an example of perfect pivot not having the same implications you could have talked about running and wavedashing, landing and wavedashing, wavedashing on platforms. Instead you brought up the most irrelevant use that wavedashing could possibly have in sm4sh. Clutch post bruh.

Last edited:

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
Why would you need to perfect pivot and grab a ledge when you can quarter circle turn to grab ledges in this game... If you wanted to make an example of perfect pivot not having the same implications you could have talked about running and wavedashing, landing and wavedashing, wavedashing on platforms. Instead you brought up the most irrelevant use that wavedashing could possibly have in sm4sh. Clutch post bruh.

I'm putting an example. It's literally the first thing that came up in my mind.
The point is, this is not wavedashing and doesn't have the same uses.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Alright well wave dashing was waay over used and glad to see they trried to bring it back without it in the game lol
Wavedashing was never brought back. Perfect pivoting had already existed in the games.

tarextherex

Smash Apprentice
Yall dumb in every way. Not only this was in Brawl but this is literally impossible to patch, they don't want GLITCHES. fox trotting isn't a glitch, it's the game recognizing a dash input out of a dash, patching that would probably make the game have serious problems like not being able to dash at all except if you're idle or something. Same thing with perfect pivoting, it's basically a pivoted foxtrot. This is pretty much useless since why put so much stress on your control stick when you can just learn to space. Oh wait people are making a big deal out of it because they are all 2013ers who got into smash with the documentary and think wavedashing is what makes smash competitive.

Madlollipop

Smash Rookie
Yall dumb in every way. Not only this was in Brawl but this is literally impossible to patch, they don't want GLITCHES. fox trotting isn't a glitch, it's the game recognizing a dash input out of a dash, patching that would probably make the game have serious problems like not being able to dash at all except if you're idle or something. Same thing with perfect pivoting, it's basically a pivoted foxtrot. This is pretty much useless since why put so much stress on your control stick when you can just learn to space. Oh wait people are making a big deal out of it because they are all 2013ers who got into smash with the documentary and think wavedashing is what makes smash competitive.
Competitive?
anything that people compete in is cobsidered competitive by definition.
brawl is competitive, so os smash 4, with or without wavedashes sort of strange to bring that up.

Snowfin

Smash Cadet
All these talk about things being "intended" or not... i really dont understand why that even matters if it was intended or not.

bububu i wished this techs would be gone because they make me have to practice and i want to win without practicing and it wasnt even intended bububu...

D

Deleted member

Nobody expected there to be wavedashing of any sort in Smash 4. After it was removed in Brawl, it was clear it wasn't coming back. Melee fans bemoaned the lack of spacing options without it, but Brawl moved on without. However, Smash 4 has a technique that mimics wavedashing, allowing players to find their spacing much more precisely than they could otherwise. It's called perfect pivoting, and it just might revolutionize how people play Smash 4 in the future.

What does that look like to you?

Perfect pivoting is exactly what it sounds like - a quick pivot. However, it stopped perfectly, characters hold some momentum and slide across the stage. The length varies by character. For instance, Jigglypuff's perfect pivot is short, while Luigi's is long. You can also perform attack out of them - jabs, tilts, smashes and grabs are all game. Starting to sound familiar yet?

YouTube channel My Smash Corner uploaded a video detailing the technique and its uses. Check out the video below and see it for yourself.

What do you think? Is this the second coming of wavedashing? Or will it be deemed useless and left behind? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit thinks this looks hard to do consistently, but then again so was wavedashing at first. Chat with him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.
We'll...this is way to competitive.

jdr112

Smash Rookie
NNID
jdr704
3DS FC
0404-7447-0565
In my opinion, this is pretty useless. While it does have the same use as wavedashing, smash 4 has already proven to be an in-depth, yet simple competitive fighter. Why overcomplicate the game when it's doing just fine as is?

Prawn

Smash Master
Idk about everyone else but I've gotten the hang of this and if Luigis is supposed to be good then....this is not that useful at all

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
This technique will truly be hard to pull off at first, but as long as people are stubborn with this, as they normally are, I can see it being used a lot later on.

Does anyone have a clue on what the 'square amount' for PPing (hehe) is for the standard-size Mii characters, or is that gonna have to be tested?

KH1COM2

Smash Boss
This could actually change ground Meta game. And as a bonus, it's so easy to gimp Little Mac with lol.

I wonder how the pro's are gonna use this?

KH1COM2

Smash Boss
please no. Why is this happening
Relax bro. Pivoting is really easy to do, especially on a GC controller. Perfect Pivoting is also pretty easy. This isnt a technique that separates pros from noobs.

It's a technique that separates wisdom over bliss, if that makes sense.

31gma

Smash Cadet
NNID
yrba10
Shhhhh, don't tell Nintendo. They will patch it out like Link and Peach's toss cancelling.

jdr112

Smash Rookie
NNID
jdr704
3DS FC
0404-7447-0565
Relax bro. Pivoting is really easy to do, especially on a GC controller. Perfect Pivoting is also pretty easy. This isnt a technique that separates pros from noobs.

It's a technique that separates wisdom over bliss, if that makes sense.
Sure it is, just like wavedashing is easy to do, right?

Top Bottom