• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Proving Grounds Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aorist

Smash Apprentice
Anecdotal evidence can be useful if, for instance, you just need to prove that something /can/ occur. It's not useful for basically anything beyond that.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think some of the debaters back here are going too far in the Proving grounds.

What we don't want to have happen is to have two debate halls, one for debate with members, and one where members beat up on inexperienced debaters.

Remember your purpose when you post in the proving grounds. It isn't to grind your opponent into the ground (though that is encouraged here) but rather to provide structure, advice, information, and sometimes just stimulation.

That CAN take the form of arguing against someone. But there's a fine line. Do make sure that you're not just driving away potential debaters by being overly hostile, or overly aggressive. The point of that thread is to allow people to demonstrate that they are competent enough to be allowed here. The issues debated there are only a vehicle for that purpose.

I know it can be hard when someone posts something you disagree with, but do try to have restraint.

RDK

Smash Hero
I suppose I can take most of the responsibility for that, seeing as how I disintegrated that guy Crynts in the Intelligent Design thread. Won't happen again.

That being said, I think we're ready for another batch to be let in? I have a few in mind for this round.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Okay people, if you have any potential debaters in mind remember to visit the nomination topic.

By the way, what happened to that devil's advocate competition RDK was in charge of?

RDK

Smash Hero
I thought it would be a good idea to wait until at least everyone is out of exams. I know some people haven't finished school yet, so maybe our activity will go up in the next few weeks or so.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I thought it would be a good idea to wait until at least everyone is out of exams. I know some people haven't finished school yet, so maybe our activity will go up in the next few weeks or so.
Agreed, personally just finished my last.

Already playing devil's advocate in adumbrodeus's thread, lol.

:093:
Cool, I should be able to respond to it by tomorrow. You did your research, nice.

Also, I need to do more of an opinion on the encryption keys topic.

D

Deleted member

we need more interesting topics. i've tried and failed with my last 2.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Get some basic and controversial.
Like, iunno, say, stem-cell research?
Stuff like that is easy to research, very controversial, and spark a lot of debate.

Edit: CAN SOMEONE STOP THE CREATIONISM THREAD?
God, it's idiotic. >_>
Jesus said he was God, well, that could lead to me saying Jesus was ATHEIST.
Teach Creationism? TEACH MY RELIGION, PASTAFARIANISM! GAH! I can't stand it. >_<

:093:

Aesir

Smash Master
Schools shouldn't teach religion at all.

edit: let me rephrase that, they shouldn't teach one religion over the other. I do think Schools should offer a religious class that teaches all worlds religions, and teaches the facts behind them. probably one of the few things I agree with Dennet on.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord

edit: let me rephrase that, they shouldn't teach one religion over the other. I do think Schools should offer a religious class that teaches all worlds religions, and teaches the facts behind them. probably one of the few things I agree with Dennet on.
I think teaching religion in school would make it very hard to remove bias. Everybody has bias. I know I would (albeit unintentionally) teach that class with bias if I were a teacher. But perhaps others would be better at containing their personal views...

Maniclysane

Smash Lord

We sort of had that at my school. In the beginning on World history (Only like a month) we learned about Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. It's not like we read a Qur'an or did anything religious. It was pretty much just a unit on world religions.

Mewter

Smash Master
We sort of had that at my school. In the beginning on World history (Only like a month) we learned about Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. It's not like we read a Qur'an or did anything religious. It was pretty much just a unit on world religions.
^Don't teach religion in schools.
Teach about religion (as a whole.) if you're going to do anything religion-related. Kind of what Maniclysane said.
And what? The devils advocate thread is star- oh, never mind, I can still enter.:)

blazedaces

Smash Lord
philly, PA, aim: blazedaces, msg me and we'll play

Exactly. Teach it as a history, as an understanding of the world and it's culture... but not as a religion. That, I'm against. There's a reason for the separation of church and state...

-blazed

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
rhan's argument in the XXX thread makes me want to club baby seals.
Not the baby seals! Never that!

Although I know what you mean. Also, there really aren't any good topics in the PG right now. Like, at all. Most of them are discussions, and not even particularly intelligent ones (which is no fault of the users, but the subject material...).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom