• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Probable Character Roster 3.0 ^_^

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I feel that this list is pretty accurate, but I think you've underestimated the Japanese market's influence on this game. They obviously want it to sell well in both the US and Japan, so they're going to look to appeal to Japanese gamers as well, Lucas did a really good job of showing that.

Given the series popularity and stronger roots than Snake's and Bomberman's put together on the NES, MegaMan is almost a shooin for the next third party. In Japan, the series in all forms is very, very popular and has generated a lot of money for Nintendo consoles in the past. The only problem is which version they'd include. Personally, I feel it would be the original Blue Bomber if it came down to Brawl, but Capcom seems to favor X and Zero over the original, as well as the .EXE version which had colossal sales both here and abroad. Surprisingly, in Japan the DASH!/Legends series is very well liked in not-so-much-a-niche way, and I think he would also fit in pretty well. However, since it's very very unlikely that they'd include more than one playable MegaMan, we'd likely see him in his classical form. There ARE a couple downsides though, that you forgot to mention. Outside of business matters (though I guess if you wanted to, you could consider these "business"), Capcom as I said admittedly doesn't like his classical incarnation as much. Then there's the whole version popularity issue. One plus, though, is that Inafune the series creator, has a deep affection for the original, and having a Kojima-like position at Capcom, he and Sakurai could do some talking.

On to further Japanese popular games: The MOTHER series which I'm going to harp on for the next ten feet of text wall. If you include a pro for Jigglypuff as having a strong fanbase, it's almost criminal to ignore the Japanese's affection for this series. Had MOTHER3 been packaged with a DS lite instead of the GBM which they felt was a bit insulting, it would have sold titanically. Not that it did bad, mind you. The impact of that game though, seems small in comparison to the first MOTHER game which did a number on creating a firmly loyal fanbase.

Ninten, Loid, Ana, and even Teddy are quite likely, however I couldn't see Sakurai including more than one character from the first MOTHER, as US residents aren't as familiar with them. Inclusion of Ninten would have to be done carefully, as he looks like a smaller version of Ness with red socks. Personally, I feel if Ninten would be in he'd be there with Ana and Loid ala Ice Climbers +1, as they really did a nice job of having the characters compliment each other back then. The biggest con is that in America, the game is very poorly received due to being not only much much harder than Earthbound, but being discovered AFTER Earthbound, which made many players feel like they were playing a toned down version of the cult classic. The other pro is that Ninten was on Sakurai's list as well.

I'm pleased to see you included Claus, but from the delving into the community I've done, there's a few more pro's on his side: He's an absolute fan favorite in Japan and the American community seems to like him a little more than Pokey as a villain. There's also the fact that he's more like an amalgamation of Marth and Samus with a twinge of Pikachu thrown in for good measure that can glide/fly with his jetpack, rather than an underequipped psychic. In this form, he'd be easily distinguishable from Lucas who would probably have human!Claus as an alternate color scheme, which is another pro. As far as priority goes, he's pretty hard to distinguish from Ness, to be honest.

On to another villain who lately has gotten a great deal more popular: Pokey/Porky/Poki/Ambiguous Romanization. Including him in his spider mech/death bed would be a great Final Smash, considering the Giga Bowser and Land Master Final Smashes. He would also be an ideal candidate for the MOTHER series' heavy. He'd probably rely on childish things and hit and run tactics, since his character is that of a huge coward even though towards the end of Earthbound he's gutsier. The biggest con is he wasn't well received in Earthbound, in which he was annoying and generally more loathable even than Giygas. Japan seems to like him a lot, though. Also, a very very interesting rumor, which actually has a great deal of credibility. Anybody who frequents the Starmen.net forums(largest Western Earthbound/MOTHER community) would know that an admin has a very reliable mole at Nintendo. He has in the past provided tip-offs to the release of MOTHER 3, detailed information about the Franklin Badge item far before its revelation, Lucas' inclusion, as well as New Pork City being a stage. What's interesting is that he ALSO revealed Pokey WILL be playing some role in Brawl, and a seemingly large one as he mentioned some storyline details (small ones, mind you). There's also the fact he translates back and forth between MOTHER2 and 3, so it could be a toss up to either game.

I could go on and on, but those seem the most likely. I honestly don't see Sakurai ditching Ness outright. He's gotten a pretty firm fanbase and is a very unique character in Smash. Lucas so far seems to be more physical and item based, doing to Duster what Ness did to Paula, so I'm doubting they'll play TOO similarly. Just food for thought, and I honestly think you should include Pokey in the list because they've DEFINITELY started making motions towards more villains in this Smash. Given the popularity overseas, I think the MOTHER series isn't exactly low priority. It has few games, but the ones that are out have a strong fanbase. The MegaMan series should have huge priority in terms of third party.

Speaking of, reconsider the cons aspect of third parties. There's more to them than just business issues.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Hell this list is the most accurate one I've seen in these boards. But I think Ridley's percentage should be higher after the inclusion of Dedede.

Sauce90

Smash Rookie
banjo?

Sonic is in.
I know Xbox own Rare and have BK rights, but DK is a Rare character...
I'm predicting Banjo-Kazooie being announced days before release.
If bloody Rare never went to Xbox they would've been a certainty, probably even in SSBM.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Sonic is in.
If bloody Rare never went to Xbox they would've been a certainty, probably even in SSBM.
1) Donkey Kong was never owned by Rare. The extra Donkey Kong characters were.
2) Nintendo gave Rare the rights to Conker and B-K in exchange for all the DK characters.
3) You are correct in your assumption that, had Rare not gone to MS, Banjo-Kazooie and Conker would likely have been added to Brawl.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Sonic is in.

Well no, because Dk was owned by nintendo and only licensed to Rare. The Dk characters were all bought by Nintendo (like Diddy). Sadly there is no way any other rare character will appear (which is a shame because I agree, I would like Joanna Dark in).

On to further Japanese popular games: The MOTHER series which I'm going to harp on for the next ten feet of text wall. If you include a pro for Jigglypuff as having a strong fanbase, it's almost criminal to ignore the Japanese's affection for this series. Had MOTHER3 been packaged with a DS lite instead of the GBM which they felt was a bit insulting, it would have sold titanically. Not that it did bad, mind you. The impact of that game though, seems small in comparison to the first MOTHER game which did a number on creating a firmly loyal fanbase.
You know I agree with the whole underestimated Japanese character thing (look where Stafy's at. I know Ninten was on the list but honestly I can't see Lucas and Ninten going in. It was a either or for me with Lucas being more likely. Like you said, he looks just like Ness. I mean you could just pick Ness and say it's Ninten. Because of that coupled with his obscurred nature (he's not as popular as Ness or Lucas, looks just like Ness and comes from a franchise that is still trying to get the attention it deserves)... IDK. You know the Mother series really has been cheated out in a lot of things. It should be getting the attention such games as Kirby and Starfox are getting. It's a crying shame. However it is still an unknown franchise to the casual gamer. I'm sorry but I just can't add him. My friends at the Japanese site don't even think he has a shot and they are the kind of people Sakurai checks on.

hungrybum

Smash Journeyman
You should put wolf out... he is one of fox costumes... +no offense but i think that k.rool is higher then isaac for the game

Andy4Brawl_911

Smash Journeyman
Everyone forgets about Andy???

Look at him:

Artowrk 1:

Artwork 2:

Artwork 3:

If you have him you can also have his 2 companions:

Sammi

Artwork 1:

Artworks 2:

Artwork 3:

or

Max

Artwork 1:

Artwork 2: Help Find

Artwork 3:

The Games:

Then you get enemys like:

Von Bolt:

Hawke

Lash :

My Fave- Jugger:

Or Allies Like:

Eagle:

Drake:

Grit:

Hachi:

And my fave- Flak

Insurance Salesman

Smash Apprentice
My question still hasn't been answered. Why the heck is K. Rool so low on the list? He could be a heavywieght, a villain and an interesting character, all in one! Plus, he has been in many more games than a lot of the characters listed (Midna, Macicah, Olimar [though he was the protaganist of the games he was in]).

And to answer the arguement about Falco and Andross; isn't it obvious why Andross isn't playable? He's a freaking head! How in the world would the developers make a fair, interesting character out of a floating head?!?! Plus, this arguement wouldn't even apply to K. Rool, as he is only a little bit bigger than Donkey Kong and could be made slightly smaller, like Ridley.

Zevox

Smash Lord
My question still hasn't been answered. Why the heck is K. Rool so low on the list? He could be a heavywieght, a villain and an interesting character, all in one! Plus, he has been in many more games than a lot of the characters listed (Midna, Macicah, Olimar [though he was the protaganist of the games he was in]).
Lack of popularity would be my guess. Although he is a significant character in his series, his series just doesn't have the support that most of the rest do - certainly nowhere near the big 3 (Mario/Zelda/Pokèmon), still well below the likes of Star Fox or Fire Emblem, and to be honest it'd be difficult to compare it even to newcomer series like Pikmin or Golden Sun. The last time K Rool had an appearance in a popular game was DK 64, and since then the DK fan base has fairly well evaporated. DK and Diddy have largely gotten in on historical importance to Nintendo and what fan base they have left, and not even close to all who support them are supportive of K Rool. Most people, DK fans or otherwise, are just content with those two.

Obviously by my signature, I support K Rool, but I can certainly understand why hes not expected to be in by the majority of smashers.

Tsc Nightmare said:
Put Banjo and Kazooie on this list
And why would he bother? They're impossible - owned by Rare , who are owned by Microsoft, a competitor company who would never allow Nintendo to use them. If he put them on, it would be only to give them a 0% chance.

Zevox

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731

And to answer the arguement about Falco and Andross; isn't it obvious why Andross isn't playable? He's a freaking head! How in the world would the developers make a fair, interesting character out of a floating head?!?! Plus, this arguement wouldn't even apply to K. Rool, as he is only a little bit bigger than Donkey Kong and could be made slightly smaller, like Ridley.
Well you have to understand that when I made this list, I was heavily considering PRA (along with Sakurai's poll and Fanbase). K. Rool does have Role, but his priority and attack potential is almost deplorable. Whenever people mention him they mention only two things.

1)He's a badguy

2)Donkey Kong's financial increments and popularity of the former days.

I'm sorry but this isn't something that will get K. Rool up when characters like Midna (while only being in one game) has more things going for her. Now if Donkey Kong was still as popular as it was in the past and if K. Rool had been in the Jungle Beat (which is the DK theme of Brawl) I would've said yes but neither are so. K. Rool may very well be a boss character but a PC is rediculous. After all who would main him? Even the Dk euthiasist I'm sure are shifted towards either of the DK's. I know Sakurai is thinking this and I'm sure he'll give a boss battle for al the K. Rool fans like he did with Petey.

Everyone forgets about Andy???
Okay, I here you. I want to add him but unfortunately I know little of him and want this list to be as accurate as possible. Give me time to research him (the icon has already been made). Also if you will give me info. All I know right now is that I have seen little Andy support, he's not on sakurai's poll (that I know of) and my Japanese friends have little support for his franchise what so ever. Some pros would be appreciated.

Black/Light

Smash Master
I would say that Midna should be in the yellow range. Not only does it look like the LoZ characters will appear in their TP forms but they are also heavyly useing that theme for Link's moves and the one LoZ stage we have seen. Personally I see the fact that Midna doesn't appear on the TP stage to fix the bridge (as she did in TP) as a clear sign that she will be playable. (He already went all out with the pig and minion and what not. . . .if Midna aint a PC than I can't see why she wouldn't appear on the stage to fix it like in the game). Also, I see her as solo. If Celda Link comes to replace Y link than theres no need for a 3rd version of Link.

I would also knock Lucario down to yellow at most and Mew2 up to Light Blue. If a character has to rely on a hand full of trival things as a reason to be in brawl than it stinks of fan-boyness IMO well Mew2, to these day, is the only big Pokemon villian in the Pokemon series. He is by all means a shoe-in on my radar.

There my take on this. . . I actually agree with most of your list. Good work:p

PS, if you count Shiek as her own character than shouldn't you count Red as 3 characters? It's basically the same idea as Zelda in melee but just taken to the next level. . . in fact, Sheik IS Zelda well red's 3 pokemon are all different pokemon.

Pits_Descent

Smash Rookie
Oh and as for an opinion,
My best bet for the last 3rd party character is Mega Man... that would be sick...
but there is an extreme amount of Geno supporters and he did get honorable mention in Sakurai's poll...
even tho square n nintendo might not be on so good terms...
one of those guys is my best bet at the third party slot
and as for characters that you mentioned but yet to be revealed...
i do hope for krystal... she'd be a unique fox character, staff weilder blah blah... im pretty sure she'll be in...
macicah because there aren't enough magic weilders... and she would be a very nice addition and her moveset would be great... but she'd be an underdog because otehr FE characters would ahve other priority
and Isaac... tho he would be another sword weilder... he would have an incredible moveset... and Golden Sun was an amazing game....
and i'm slightly leaning towards a minda/wolf link character combo (like IC)... that would be pretty sikk
oh and Advance Wars Andy has to be on there Somewhere... he's sikk

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
And what about Pokey?
I'll explain this to you since im a "PROBABLE CHARACTER ROSTER" Owner at Nsider2.
You see IF earthbound was to get 2 reps it would most likely be lucas and claus , since pokey was on the poll's in no form , already turned into an AT from what i've heard and not popular or quite "Well enough" To achive the PC status from sakurai , and even if there was three earthbound reps i doubt they would put two villians in and all of the portion mostly from mother 3 so er... <_<.

Oh and homeless i think you really should put geno , my post about him is on page 29 , Geno has high popularity , mentioned by sakurai , well on the polls , even Dr.WRIGHT who is second party for flippin sakes got in as an AT So i see no problem in putting geno instead of bowser jr , bowser jr. just looks like he was on the poll's for the "Lol".

~Thirdkoopa.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
In my opinion Sakurai (maybe) and Kevin (definitely) shouldn't be on the WTF list, because Sakurai has explicitly said that characters must have appeared on a game in a Nintendo platform. Sure, I wouldn't mind playing as Kevin for hilarity, but I find it extremely unlikely, given that rule.

Andy4Brawl_911

Smash Journeyman
Well you have to understand that when I made this list, I was heavily considering PRA (along with Sakurai's poll and Fanbase). K. Rool does have Role, but his priority and attack potential is almost deplorable. Whenever people mention him they mention only two things.

1)He's a badguy

2)Donkey Kong's financial increments and popularity of the former days.

I'm sorry but this isn't something that will get K. Rool up when characters like Midna (while only being in one game) has more things going for her. Now if Donkey Kong was still as popular as it was in the past and if K. Rool had been in the Jungle Beat (which is the DK theme of Brawl) I would've said yes but neither are so. K. Rool may very well be a boss character but a PC is rediculous. After all who would main him? Even the Dk euthiasist I'm sure are shifted towards either of the DK's. I know Sakurai is thinking this and I'm sure he'll give a boss battle for al the K. Rool fans like he did with Petey.

Okay, I here you. I want to add him but unfortunately I know little of him and want this list to be as accurate as possible. Give me time to research him (the icon has already been made). Also if you will give me info. All I know right now is that I have seen little Andy support, he's not on sakurai's poll (that I know of) and my Japanese friends have little support for his franchise what so ever. Some pros would be appreciated.
Reasons why Andy is likely to get in:

1. Nintendo Wars is the oldest Nintendo franchise that doesn't have a oc in brawl.

2. Sakurai says that some characters will not be on the poll (Pokemon trainer)

3. Unique, in all ares, appearance, moves, taunts.

4. Great for advertisemnt

5. Popular in IGN and when Brawl was first shown, other than that, he has been slopping down popularity.

Insurance Salesman

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I will admit some of the points about K. Rool are valid. I mean, it isn't like he's the most well known character that Nintendo has. A couple friends of mine don't even know who he is...

But I still don't agree with your idea that he would have a boring moveset. He has had 4 different games AT THE VERY LEAST to pull character attack ideas from, unlike some other characters that I mentioned earlier. Some of the attacks included shooting cannonballs and various gasses, creating shockwaves, throwing a crown like a ground-based boomerang, and calling down cannonballs from the sky. And if the designers really just didn't like enough of his attacks to include them all, they could just make some up, like with King DeDeDe.

Overall, I believe that King K. Rool deserves, if not a high up spot, at least an area higher up than the complete bottom. He is much more deserving than his spot on the list implies.

Edit: Why do you think Jungle Beat is the theme for Brawl? Unless I remember incorrectly, I don't remember Diddy Kong's Peanut Popguns or Rocket Barrels being in that game. In fact (and correct me if I am wrong), I don't even remember Diddy being in that game! Besides, King K. Rool actually has been in some recent (although admittedly little-known, and, as some think, lackluster) games.

raidenwing

Smash Cadet
couple things
nintendo puts characters into brawl from games that they have published, not just created, thats their thing. that opens up to one huge character. Banjo form banjo-kazooie. he's had 4 games and started on nintendo. created by rare which is extremely close to nintendo because of donkey kong. he's also a great character and can be unique. another thing is that most characters have partners so there is usually two characters from each series unless there is only really one character to that series. and then i think rayman is really huge as a third party character because hes been so publicized on nintendo for a long time and ubisoft is close with nintendo. to get a good idea of more possible go check the master game list on nintendos website and put in the filter nintendo only as the publisher. finally as a wtf character you might want to put jimmy next to walugi because there are one of the same but also jimmy comes from warioware which is how wario is dressed. and i think one of the main characters from baten kaitos could be in it too. i like you list though keep it up and updated.

raidenwing

Smash Cadet
o, forgot to mention that geno can't be in brawl unless were extreme lucky and square is nice because after super mario rpg was made sqaure didn't give nintendo the rights to mallow or geno so nintendo can't use them in any games without squares permission which is hard because they are not on good ground like you said.

Zevox

Smash Lord
couple things
nintendo puts characters into brawl from games that they have published, not just created, thats their thing. that opens up to one huge character. Banjo form banjo-kazooie. he's had 4 games and started on nintendo. created by rare which is extremely close to nintendo because of donkey kong. he's also a great character and can be unique.
Major problem here: Rare owns the rights to Banjo-Kazooie, and Rare is owned by Microsoft now. Microsoft has no reason to allow Nintendo to use one of their characters, and plenty of reason not to (namely the fact that they're a competing company). Not sure what you're talking about with Donkey Kong - Rare just published some of their games back when they were owned by Nintendo, Nintendo always owned the rights to that series.

If Rare weren't owned by Microsoft, you can bet that there would be plenty of people clambering for Banjo-Kazooie - even as-is there are many of their fans expressing constant disappointment in their impossibility. But since Rare is owned by Microsoft, B-K is impossible, so theres no point in even mentioning them on a list like this one.

Zevox

raidenwing

Smash Cadet
also considering boss characters have been announced ridley, king k rool, and the black knight could all end up as boss characters

Zevox

Smash Lord
OR you could try using your brain for once and actually think about what your saying!
Hes probably right about K Rool and the Black Knight - if they're in at all, thats the form they're most likely to take. Its just Ridley he needs to think through there.

Zevox

nobletoast

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I will admit some of the points about K. Rool are valid. I mean, it isn't like he's the most well known character that Nintendo has. A couple friends of mine don't even know who he is...

But I still don't agree with your idea that he would have a boring moveset. He has had 4 different games AT THE VERY LEAST to pull character attack ideas from, unlike some other characters that I mentioned earlier. Some of the attacks included shooting cannonballs and various gasses, creating shockwaves, throwing a crown like a ground-based boomerang, and calling down cannonballs from the sky. And if the designers really just didn't like enough of his attacks to include them all, they could just make some up, like with King DeDeDe.

Overall, I believe that King K. Rool deserves, if not a high up spot, at least an area higher up than the complete bottom. He is much more deserving than his spot on the list implies.

Edit: Why do you think Jungle Beat is the theme for Brawl? Unless I remember incorrectly, I don't remember Diddy Kong's Peanut Popguns or Rocket Barrels being in that game. In fact (and correct me if I am wrong), I don't even remember Diddy being in that game! Besides, King K. Rool actually has been in some recent (although admittedly little-known, and, as some think, lackluster) games.
I second that motion. Im sure K Rool's moveset would be 100 times more fun than Takamaru, Starfy, Black Knight or Wolf's to name but a few.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I second that motion. Im sure K Rool's moveset would be 100 times more fun than Takamaru, Starfy, Black Knight or Wolf's to name but a few.
Lol @ the sakurai sig , i agree a bit so i third the motion but on the other hand wolf's moveset with things like closecombat and grenades would be more fun then a 300 pound lizard thing running around the stage >_>.

Alright well ill throw my opinion in the ring as well. Michea(sp?) has decent chances as the lord (she does not share the role however, to my knowledge Sothe is as Titania is To Ike. Michea, though not a swordweilder, has limited movepool potential (yes i know that is not most important) but she i salso th elord of a new game, and usually a followign of a lord does not follow until the game has been our for a while. The Black Knight already has a decent following, but where he florishes is his Potential in both Movepool and heavyweight. We have a limited number of heavyweights and on you list you didnt list very many potential heavyweights. Black Knight would make the perfect rival for Ike and have more of an impact on The world of FE than Michea would. The only flaws i can find with BK is the sword rule and The fact that he is from the same game as Ike

Insurance Salesman

Smash Apprentice
Also, why do people believe he is going to just be a boss? He could be resized like Ridly or Kirby, and isn't even that big to begin with in the DKC games. Yes, he is too large in DK 64, but it isn't manditory to use that form of his.

Edit: Legolastam, why don't you shut up and take your own advice; use your brain? It is quite obvious from your answer that the amount of thought put into reasoning was minimal at best. Not saying that I don't support Ridley, but morons like you aren't exactly helping the cause.

raidenwing

Smash Cadet
i think andy should be added because he's the leader of a hugely popular and successive series so go ahead and put him in like you were asking about

raidenwing

Smash Cadet
i'd like to point out due to the fact that everyone keeps saying the mario franchise has too many characters in brawl that peach actually got her own game that had nothing to do with mario giving her a i have my own game im not only associated just as a mario character anymore thing. just thought to point it out as a possibility to open up a new mario space becuase that is everyone problem with bowser jr.

Insurance Salesman

Smash Apprentice
Yes but why do these people insist on saying such stupid things?

Maybe they didn't go to the Ridley thread and see the arguements you guys made. It still is unacceptable to simply insult someone because they have a different opinion from you. And if you must insult them, why don't you put down some reasons as well instead of just sounding like a jerk?

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731

I know the four games he's been in and only 2 of them does he attack directly (besides the bouncing and ramming in DK 64. In DK 1 the most he does is throw his crown and the in DK 2 he just uses a mullet through the whole thing. I know this because I had this debate before and did my research. King Dedede's moves aren't made up, he does all those attacks. While I can't pinpoint the game I know that in the various games he does.

Just because a game goes by a theme doesn't mean there isn't a loop hole or two. The theme of mario appears to be sunshine but Mario still has his fireball attack. However if sakurai sticks with a theme he is more likely to stick with that theme. Sakurai wouldn't get rid of K. rool just because he wants to set a JB theme. That would be stupid. However that isn't the only evidence against him.

Edit: Legolastam, why don't you shut up and take your own advice; use your brain? It is quite obvious from your answer that the amount of thought put into reasoning was minimal at best. Not saying that I don't support Ridley, but morons like you aren't exactly helping the cause.
Dude your going to have to deal with it. Some people on these boards just aren't patient and there are a lot of people like that. Just be careful of what you say about certain characters, mmkay.

Yes but why do these people insist on saying such stupid things?
Dude, stop picking on the new guy.

Top Bottom