• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pond - Greninja General Discussion

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Redundant to himself? I don't think so, I use almost every move in each match. Maybe I go most matches without a counter, but that is MU dependent.

Redundant to the rest of the cast? Well, he has a great dashgrab, a startup-loaded fair, a yomi-on-shield-nair... you know, things that happen to be in common because the cast is almost freaking 60 characters so they can't all have different properties everywhere unless you made Mario through zzMario who is purple and has 15 jumps.
I think that what they meant when they said that is that Greninja's moveset was similar to someone else's, Sheik in most cases, which is really asinine. Kind of like the Lucario/Mewtwo debacle.

Larkisaurus

Smash Rookie
NNID
Larkisaurus
Okay, here is what I can tell you about my Down tilt frame trap idea. It definitely wasn't as nice as it looked on paper, but is likely still viable.

Here's what I got correct:
Full jump up air does indeed catch buffered jump as well as buffered jump to airdodge.
Fast falling immediately and then spamming jump will get a footstool, from there you can do the jab lock stuff off dair

Then there are things I didn't really realize:
At low percents and with very fast fallers, when they buffer an airdodge, they will still get caught inairdodge landing lag, but not long enough for greninja to land and attack again.
Fast attacks will hit gren before his up air comes out
The entire frame trap is nullified if the opponent doesn't jump/airdodge/attack.

Conclusions:
This frame trap can be used in addition to running up smash in order to cover every single option, hypothetically speaking.
Frame trap will cover buffered jump and buffered air dodge on most characters (fastfallers generally safe)
Up smash will connect if they attack or if they delay an action.

It's truly a beauty.

Igneo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Proximamente.
It dair from greninja, bounces off the UpSmash from Bayonneta.
It is a theory,

Sometimes if I see that the frog bounce in that attack

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Shootouts to our fellow ninja Shinejoebi! Finally no. 1 on the Minnesota PR!

image.png

:150:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
I wasted all my Wendsday night trying to convince him other wise.

Don't bother thinking about it.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Yea... when you have a Luma, you feel invincible (and you are halfway there). He has a real Luma, so RIP.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Hello, everyone! Some of you may know/remember me some of you may not. I just wanted to introduce myself as this boards new Moderator! Most everyone that knows me knows that I'm quite chill and I also know this board is quite chill. Not going to give a speech or anything, I just wanted to introduce myself. So, keep it clean, guys! This is one of my favorite boards so I expect I'll have very little trouble with anyone. But, I'll be around anyways.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Hello, everyone! Some of you may know/remember me some of you may not. I just wanted to introduce myself as this boards new Moderator! Most everyone that knows me knows that I'm quite chill and I also know this board is quite chill. Not going to give a speech or anything, I just wanted to introduce myself. So, keep it clean, guys! This is one of my favorite boards so I expect I'll have very little trouble with anyone. But, I'll be around anyways.
Hey dude! Congrats on the position!

Attachments

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Have you guys seen this by the way?

I think this is a popularity poll that was taken over in japan. And look who's at the very top! I was also told these are the Pokemon people most want distributed. Which is still really awesome to see Greninja #1.

BlitzTrain

Smash Rookie
Yeah, though I don't think it's been on here yet, it really surprised me to see that!

Though IIRC that's a listing of the standings around halfway through the polling process, I don't think it ends until May something (I want to say the 8th). So it could still change, but it's very cool.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Yeah, though I don't think it's been on here yet, it really surprised me to see that!

Though IIRC that's a listing of the standings around halfway through the polling process, I don't think it ends until May something (I want to say the 8th). So it could still change, but it's very cool.
When I heard that these were the Pokemon people wanted distributed, presumably through mystery gift, it surprised me even more. Why would Greninja be at the top? He should be pretty easy to get your hands on considering he's a starter.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Welcome to the Village Hidden in the Pond! ◥θ┴θ◤ Enjoy your stay!

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Made a matchup chart since I was bored. I tried to be a little more pessimistic than usual with this, but the chart still ended up looking really good for Greninja so idk lol.

• :4sheik::4sonic: - I wanted to put these guys with the -1s since the matchups with them have improved significantly since Greninja has gotten buffs and they've gotten nerfed, plus neither of them have really been -3s either. However, I put them as -2 matchups because they simply stand out from the ones below them as clearly bad matchups that have lots of evidence for them in tournaments and from personal experiences of a lot of Greninja mains.
  • :4fox::4cloud::4diddy: - All of these guys can easily be argued for even matchups tbh, but I threw them all in -1 since the arguments in their favor are still pretty strong, though some are strong in theory/personal experience (:4cloud::4fox:), others in tournament results (:4diddy:).
  • :4megaman: - I mostly put this in -1 for discussion, but also seeing Scatt put this in Megaman's favor and knowing that Megaman is one of the few characters that can kind of wall Greninja out, I thought that -1 seemed somewhat appropriate for Megaman. Normally I would put this as even.
  • :4dk::4bowser: - It's common to see these big boys as +1 in Greninja's favor since they're suscpetible to be walled out by Shurikens and are combo food, but their large hitboxes and scary U-throw kill confirms have potential to make these matchups even. Top Bowser and DK players don't seem to be scared of Greninja much at all. I'd normally put these as -1, but I held off for this one.
  • :4ness::4bayonetta: - These two were matchups that I wasn't really pessimistic about because these are just matchups that I'm pretty certain of. Most Ness mains think that they win the matchup, but I still think that Greninja has a slight edge with his superior range, speed and edgeguarding. Ness still kills more reliably, but not by much tbh as Greninja has some good kill confirms of his own and it only really takes a Hydro Pump on a forced PK Thunder for Ness to die. As for Bayo, Greninja is simply one of the best picks against her in this game thanks to Shadow Sneak's hitsun cancelling of course, as well as having Shurikens to help fight her at a range and play defensively against her, speed to run away from her, a good dash grab to punish Witch Times, etc. Greninja just has to play differently and rely less on his short hop aerials in this matchup pretty much.

Any thoughts? Burning questions? Horribly placed matchups?

EDIT: Uh, so Bayo huh? Hehehe-dammit Tyroy

Last edited:

Hashoraq

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! So a lot of people have been wondering who the TOP 5 BEST Greninja players are, so I made a list. I hope you agree with me and if not please comment below why you think otherwise. Follow their journey to become the NEXT Frokage! ◥θ┴θ◤

Oh yeah! I really appreciate feedback from my new video =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqVxYBY0FOo

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Made a matchup chart since I was bored. I tried to be a little more pessimistic than usual with this, but the chart still ended up looking really good for Greninja so idk lol.

• :4sheik::4sonic: - I wanted to put these guys with the -1s since the matchups with them have improved significantly since Greninja has gotten buffs and they've gotten nerfed, plus neither of them have really been -3s either. However, I put them as -2 matchups because they simply stand out from the ones below them as clearly bad matchups that have lots of evidence for them in tournaments and from personal experiences of a lot of Greninja mains.
  • :4fox::4cloud::4diddy: - All of these guys can easily be argued for even matchups tbh, but I threw them all in -1 since the arguments in their favor are still pretty strong, though some are strong in theory/personal experience (:4cloud::4fox:), others in tournament results (:4diddy:).
  • :4megaman: - I mostly put this in -1 for discussion, but also seeing Scatt put this in Megaman's favor and knowing that Megaman is one of the few characters that can kind of wall Greninja out, I thought that -1 seemed somewhat appropriate for Megaman. Normally I would put this as even.
  • :4dk::4bowser: - It's common to see these big boys as +1 in Greninja's favor since they're suscpetible to be walled out by Shurikens and are combo food, but their large hitboxes and scary U-throw kill confirms have potential to make these matchups even. Top Bowser and DK players don't seem to be scared of Greninja much at all. I'd normally put these as -1, but I held off for this one.
  • :4ness::4bayonetta: - These two were matchups that I wasn't really pessimistic about because these are just matchups that I'm pretty certain of. Most Ness mains think that they win the matchup, but I still think that Greninja has a slight edge with his superior range, speed and edgeguarding. Ness still kills more reliably, but not by much tbh as Greninja has some good kill confirms of his own and it only really takes a Hydro Pump on a forced PK Thunder for Ness to die. As for Bayo, Greninja is simply one of the best picks against her in this game thanks to Shadow Sneak's hitsun cancelling of course, as well as having Shurikens to help fight her at a range and play defensively against her, speed to run away from her, a good dash grab to punish Witch Times, etc. Greninja just has to play differently and rely less on his short hop aerials in this matchup pretty much.

R.O.B., Ness, and Lucas need to be moved up to 0 or higher, then I'm content with this list. (Keep in mind this is from a non competitive player and based on bias).

Megamang

Smash Lord
So, once I read that our taunt is safeish on shield, I have been using it more, as it actually has a low recovery and it also juggles...

Today, I confirned a taunt at the ledge to uair uair kill on dreamland, on Ike.

Its lingering hitbox and high rehit rate can cover getup attack and neutral standup, though both can win if it goes wrong and a roll can mess you up.

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
I am gonna double post because I want to talk about this and the ninja boards are slow so I wanna alert people to this thread...

You can have the hitbox come out, and still be starting a shadow sneak. This means you can linger a hitbox somewhere , then instantly go into a hitbox. I feel like this might actually cover a lot of options at the ledge, and could be super strong since they might roll to avoid the hitbox and get backstab SS'd. If anyone better at ledgetraps could look at the frame data for us, we'd love it. Otherwise, ill see what I can get to work in practice.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
RE Sheik and Greninja comparisons - I think they are more similar now that needles have less range. They still don't play the same really, but in terms of their mobility and the space they control they are quite similar.

Greninja is so much better at killing than Sheik though. This was probably true before and is especially true now that her 50/50 is gone.

I think his spread is more polarized than this (Luigi, Ganon and Jigglypuff are almost certainly +2, and a lot of those 0s are likely +1) but I understand if you were being conservative. I think Ness is 0 though, potentially -1. S1-14 is one of the only players in the Netherlands to consistently take sets off iStudying. ROB is probably 0 as well, it's a really annoying MU and a ROB knocked aMSa out of Pound.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412

On further clarification of :4megaman:, I personally play both characters and asked Scatt why he considered it a win for the Robot, and here's what he had to say:

MM can basically run circles around Greninja with lemons due to his crappy OoS options, and pressuring Gren with lemons is even easier than usual despite him being a fast character. If Gren's in the air, his aerials are all beaten by ours in speed and range, particularly our Fair beating yours. Leaf Shield also makes it annoying for Greninja to recover back onstage, while he himself can't really do as much to challenge our recovery (Hydro Pump usually only pushes Rush Coil upwards, you could sometimes punish our landings with it but it shouldn't happen often). Greninja's mobility definitely helps him get inside however, and his reward is still higher than ours by a good amount.

Having experienced the MU a bit more from both sides, I'm slowly beginning to agree with him personally and I can definitely see it leaning towards Mega Man by a small bit. Still a fairly even matchup all around though.

As for everything else, I would probably move a few of the 0s to +1 and Jigglypuff and Ganon to +2, but at the same time I commend you for keeping an open mind about it. I personally still think :4dk::4bowser: are +1s though and :4ness: is -1.

Last edited:

Guimartgon

Smash Apprentice
I can see :4megaman: being bad for us, specially on Smashville and other small stages. I played the MU a bit with two MMs from here and on larger stages Water Shuriken was really useful. I wonder, if we counter a lemon, can we approach by hiding and crawling with out substitute doll/log in front of us?

Also I can see :4ness: being -1 for us but I feel like that might be because I just hate the character. Can someone give me some good arguments for this? I've only played one good Ness player and I lost 2-1 barely whereas I beat every other Ness I've faced cause they just fished for stuff and did Ness things.

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
Metal blade will go thru the substitute ( I believe) and crash bomber will detonate on it.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I can see :4megaman: being bad for us, specially on Smashville and other small stages. I played the MU a bit with two MMs from here and on larger stages Water Shuriken was really useful. I wonder, if we counter a lemon, can we approach by hiding and crawling with out substitute doll/log in front of us?

Also I can see :4ness: being -1 for us but I feel like that might be because I just hate the character. Can someone give me some good arguments for this? I've only played one good Ness player and I lost 2-1 barely whereas I beat every other Ness I've faced cause they just fished for stuff and did Ness things.
Tested right now. Pretty creative thinking but no:

1. If you're right behind the doll/log, I can shoot a crash bomber and it'll blow up immediately against the object and you'll get caught in it. Sometimes, the CB explosion will just blast the object away and remove your cover altogeher

2. Metal Blades and Leaf Shield will still pierce through it and push it away upwards.We can also still get you with z-dropped metal blades and our sacred combo (which I feel works a little easier against Greninja than normally, again due to his aforementioned OoS problems).

3. By crawling, you sacrifice too much mobility for this to be worth doing. And if you try to crawl at max speed, you'll just end up walking past the doll/log and exposing yourself anyway.

You can substitute Crash Bomber to avoid taking damage from it, though, so there's that. Even then though, we still get a small victory from it by you giving up stage control through the use of it.

As for Ness, I feel he has the advantage from:
  • Getting around Shurikens more easily than most. He can simply Nair through uncharged shurkens and bat reflect fully charged ones, which renders them pretty unreliable unless its to punish his landing.
  • Just like with Mega Man, Gren's subpar aerial frame data lets Ness defeat him in air-to-air games but to an even bigger extent because not only are Ness' aerials way faster, but they also trade with and/or outprioritize Grens' so well. His Bair and Uair are both beaten cleanly by Ness' Uair and Nair, and even if they trade its a very good trade for Ness. Fair's long startup lets it get beaten too quickly by Ness fair despite how much range it has. We also can't hit him with the Uthrow to Uair setups as easily because of his good his Air Dodge and Nair are.
  • His kill options are far, far superior; and Ness arguably has the best kill options in the whole game. Doesn't need to setup into any of his kill moves like we do, all he needs is one raw Bair, Uair (which is practically a Nair in disguise with that bigass hitbox), or a Bthrow and you're dead; and these moves are all low-risk high reward with surprisingly good speed and strong hitboxes. As good as Gren's kill setups are, they just can't compare.
  • Both characters can dish out a good amount of damage to each other and mitigate damage taken, but I think Ness is slightly better at this and can avoid our combos more easily than vice versa via his small size, his amazing Air Dodge, combo-breaking Nair, and Floaty Jump. Gren can Shadow Sneak out of his Dthrow > Fair followups and its pretty annoying for him, but a Ness can still punish the endlag sometimes if he knows how to deal with it, and he can still substitute it with an inescapable Dthrow > Uair instead.

45:55 :4ness: is my personal vote. It's nowhere near a horrible MU by any means, but I feel as though it overall leans towards Ness.

Megamang

Smash Lord
I do feel like the mobility advantage of greninja's will become more and more important as the meta progresses for both characters. There is a range where your dashgrab can nab him, but none of his burst options can hit you... hang out in this range, a lot. I end up bthrowing for the extra damagefollowup potential, since the uthrow game doesn't work so well vs Ness. Offfstage, if you can eat his double jump, hydro pump is basically a guaranteed kill if you place yourself correctly.

But yes, ness has all those advantages you listed, so I'd see it as even at best.

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
I believe Mega Man is even at worst for Greninja and could potentially be 55:45 our favor. I haven't played it in a while so I can't really comment further on that, just wanted to submit how it felt when I played it.

I also believe Ness is 55:45 our favor, and I'm firm on that. Ness is slow, clunky, and despite what Pika said I don't feel he can get around shuriken super easily. If he's nairing through the uncharged ones, you simply mix up your charge timing and either force him to use his double jump or make him bat too late/early. Actually I find bat to be really unreliable vs shuriken, and I honestly don't think nair would be much better. Ness has like zero safe approaches vs Greninja, the only one is fair and it's not really an approach. More of a wall.

Retreating frog fair beats all of Ness' grounded approaches, and if Ness is spending time trying to approach in the air that's amazing for us. All he can land with relatively safely is up air, which is definitely good but he really struggles to get down without eating an up smash or some other attacks first. When Ness is offstage Greninja really doesn't even have to risk a lot to edge guard him, hydro pump takes care of pkt2 and Greninja's smash attacks are incredible if Ness gets in a habit of air dodging or throwing out a move as he double jumps past the ledge.

Overall, Ness is really floaty and slow, has exploitable recovery, and often defaults to exploitable things like air dodge. Those are the characters Greninja mains should LOVE playing against. If you're getting bodied by Ness, you probably aren't understanding how limited he actually is against our options. You don't challenge Ness face-to-face, that's asinine. You have to build a wall, and he will struggle to get around it if you're patient and respect his low cooldown and big hitboxes.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Again, coming from a casual point of view, Ness' Back Air comes in handy when landing, though there is still the problem of actually getting behind the opponent to land it. Nair, from what I know is really good as well (in general, maybe not particularly as a land option). Ness is just overall pretty good in the air, from what I understand.

On the ground, Ness doesn't have as many options. But if Ness does get to you on the ground, you'd better be ready to get away from him as soon as possible due to all the combos and/or mix-ups that could start, depending of course on what he first hit you with.

But again, casual perspective that you can take with however much st you want.

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
Having no really fast startup aerial to break combos really hurts vs ness. At something like battlefield, his killing consistency is painful. That said, mobility is so key that I do think ninja wins. Its close though. Your dashgrab basically can't be reacted to, so getting grab conversions is key. However, he does have an amazing airdodge and aerials to break out, a well timed AD-> nair will break your usmash. Of course, it can also beat the fsmash trap with good timing and spacing, which is frustrating. You won't see too many really skilled Ness, but when you do it can be disheartening. Not having a hitbox on our recovery is annoying vs Pk thunder, but he has to be careful of SSBackstab, Counters, and rising fair. On the other hand, we destroy his recovery with relative ease.

With his good airdodge and accel/deccel/aerials, I prefer to play a horizontal game. as someone said, fair is really really hard for him to do much about. A mild read to hit him out of his double jump can often mean death pretty easily, fair and bair together are great at that.

When he is FH in neutral, or if you have high rage and he SH even, a well aimed hydro pump spurt can suddenly put him in a landing situation ala fludd. This is powerful vs most characters, ness is no exception.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I don't see why Ness would suddenly be a losing MU when it's always been considered even, a lot of Ness mains think we win, and Greninja has been buffed since it was last discussed. The Fair LL buff is really meaningful vs Ness as well because of the lacklustre range on his (safe) attacks outside Fair.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Yea, pretty close to even. Greninja doesn't have a great tool to deal with pellets, but mobility is a huge part of that so that is half the battle. This might be a MU where the dash attack buff is important, because buffered dash attack vs pellets is an option for a lot of characters if the Megaman isn't being respectful with his pelleting (SH backwards to make it safer basically).

Its hard to say because I usually body each character with each because I have, by far, the most experience playing these characters of anyone in the roster. Then, if someone is better than me with Ninja it feels like I can't hit them as mega, where a solid mega as greninja makes you feel like you can't get through at all without taking bad trades vs his aerials.

This is all to say: the better player should win, so it is probably pretty close to even. If anything, stage dependent. Mega probably bodies ninja at battlefield, since he can land on the platforms to largely negate usmash traps and the large stage is really nice when you are very heavy. TaC/SV on the other hand is cramped, though you really have to watch for mega's bthrow/Bair at smashville for early kills.

Top Bottom