• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pond - Greninja General Discussion

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I have no reason to post other than to show off my Greninja/Splatoon avatar.

Friend drew it for me, and I love it so very much.
It's pretty silly but looks really nice too. Took me a bit to realize Greninja was wearing a shirt and this Donald Duck situation kinda amuses me.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
It's pretty silly but looks really nice too. Took me a bit to realize Greninja was wearing a shirt and this Donald Duck situation kinda amuses me.
Do you have a tumblr? I know ElusiveTransendant and I both do.

Also where can I get help with my Greninja? Tech guides or any guides would be helpful.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
i'm thinking of buying a substitute doll plush to finish off my collection~

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
To those with the PAL game, you should switch the language to french and listen to Greninja's voice. Especially the double team victory animation.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I know of Greninja's French voice.

The English dub for him is my favorite because it sounds kinda Stitch-like and that makes him sound cute and weird even though he's supposed to be cool and that gives him so much personality.

The Japanese dub makes him sound a lot more serious and that just makes it sound generic to me and the French dub goes too far on the opposite direction =V

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137

I didn't even know when I picked up that banana lol. Shame it didn't kill.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
english greninja >>>>>>>>>>>>>

i do like the delivery on some of the japanese VA's lines though

KERO

Smash Journeyman
Just wanted to pop in briefly. Sorry that I haven't been around. Once I finished the Fsmash kill percents, I started writing a guide... and writing... and writing. Long story short, I have the draft finished, which ended up being over 30,000 words. I intend for it to be a super comprehensive guide, covering everything from the absolute basics (movement and such) to advanced Greninja play (knowing how to pressure offensively, which I believe to be the most taxing part of Greninja as well as more involved combos). Right now, I'm having some really close friends (all of who do use Greninja and are of varying skill levels) proofread it so I can ensure the guide is as complete as possible. Hopefully I can get it out by September. Then, the patch hit.

First of all, it's time to celebrate: Water Shuriken has 5 frames less start-up. Like, this is huge. I spent 1.5 pages in word (11 point font no double spacing) on Water Shuriken. A lot of that is gonna have to be changed as Shuriken is gonna get a lot more flexible. That said, I went ballistic when I tested it out and found it to be true. I'm really looking forward to seeing what we can do with this new shuriken.

(Side-note: Shuriken always bounces in the air now. Dthrow does 5% now and has less ending lag. I still am not finding a combo out of it, but if anyone is able to, that would be great. At the very least, it may end up forcing an airdodge as I can't help but feel a jump now will come out too slowly, but that's just speculation. This can of course lead to some pretty neat set-ups that I look forward to messing with)

Edit: Apparently someone found that it may be possible to get a footstool out of Dthrow. If this is true, there's a 40%-death combo that I've been working on, that I've named the Kero Combo, demonstrated here.
A footstool->Dair can combo right into a Utilt, which can lead to that. I'm... I'm gonna need a minute.
Note that instead of the Dtilt, I could've gone for a footstool, Dair, Dair, Fair instead, which would've been a true combo.

Ideally, from starting at 37-50% (character dependent), Greninja can Utilt->Uair spike about 3-4 times (taking the the time to watch the opponent's DI during Utilt's end lag and then buffering the jump+Uair in that direction). Then, on the 3rd/4th Uair spike, footstool, double Dair, Uair spike, then either Dtilt to Usmash if the opponent is floaty enough or footstool, double Dair, Fair. This combo is nearly frame perfect entirely due to hit 5 being hit 5; I've spent over 16 hours practicing it haha, but if one day a well-placed Uair spike or Utilt can almost always result in death, it'll be worth it. Also, it's called the Kero Combo not because of my tag but because frogs go "ケロケロ" in Japanese and alliteration is pretty neat =x

Last edited:

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY ACTUALLY BUFFED SHURIKEN THIS HAS TO BE A ****ING DREAM OR A MISTAKE AAAAA.

btw dthrow to fair true combos at 140%.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
It's good to actually be able to throw shurikens again rather than needing to perfectly gauge the distance and constantly be B reversing or hopping around.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
I was never a big fan of using pre-patch Dthrow for traps since I always felt it had too much end lag/sent opponents too far away to really do much at higher percents, and at earlier percents, I personally preferred traditional, consistent Uthrow set-ups. I tend to use Bthrow at higher percents since not only does it do more damage, but I loved the angle it tossed opponents since I felt it was perfect for keeping momentum going (especially if they ended up offstage), but to each their own. Dthrow to Fair is actually fantastic for coming back from a stock loss, so I'm pretty hyped to hear about that. Definitely gonna have to re-work the Dthrow section now, though.

Edit: Whoa, this... Dthrow to Fair might be really flexible actually. This patch was really kind to the frog....

Last edited:

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
i didn't like dthrow traps pre-patch because you didn't even have much frame advantage after it. now with the buff i'll probably go for them more.

31IV

Smash Cadet
NNID
Reshilegend
That dthrow change is beautiful. Allows for more mixups instead of having to mainly rely on uthrow.
Saw quite a few sick vines already, loving this update so far.

Space thing

Smash Apprentice
So I was never actually big on the whole pre-patch shuriken thing. I actually thought that they were pretty crazy and stupid. Though maybe necessary for solid balance. That being said, this Shuriken buff has my approval.

First impressions: We can use Shuriken more and zone more (duh), but we still have to be careful about when we use it because the endlag after the Shuriken is fired is the same as before. And charged Shuriken functions the same, which is fine. I really like how this was done.

I'm kind of eh on the Shuriken bounce bug fix, as I actually spammed Shuriken with the mechanic in mind. All well, just something to adjust to I guess. Consistency has its bonuses.

Dthrow change is good. I already used it for traps, but now we should have more options with it and possibly even some guaranteed follow ups if not combos. Sounds good to me.

Good patch is good patch. Now can the "Nerf Greninja" meme die? He's been buffed twice in a row lol.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
english greninja >>>>>>>>>>>>>

i do like the delivery on some of the japanese VA's lines though
ITA, I like the English voice the best by far, but the Japanese one is pretty good. His Final Smash voice clips in particular sound very cool.

---------

And in other news Greninja got buffed again holy crap. And in a SUPER meaningful way this time. People are glossing over his buffs because of the crazy Robin buffs but shurikens are too real now, I can outcamp almost everyone.

So funnily enough, if you tot up Greninja's patch changes, he's had an equal amount of buffs and nerfs now.

Nerfs:
  • Usmash (range, ending lag, damage + knockback on sides)
  • Uair (knockback, autolink)
  • Fair (knockback)
  • Shuriken (ending lag)
  • Hydro Pump (knockback)
Buffs:
  • Shadow Sneak (knockback, ending lag)
  • Dsmash (damage + knockback)
  • Ftilt (ending lag, damage + knockback)
  • Dthrow (ending lag)
  • Shuriken (startup lag)
Plus minor tweaks to Shadow Sneak (bugfixes) and Dthrow's damage. So with that in mind, that dumb meme is totally wrong. It'll probably never die (better nerf Irelia never died and she ended up getting buffed) but it's more meaningless than ever now.

A good day to be a Frog main!

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
D-throw is absurdly fun to whip out now, when u-throw u-air stops becoming true.
Half the people I fight tend to panic jump after a d-throw which sets up nicely for fast falling u-air shenanigans.

Also heyaaaa again froggies.
It is I.
Doggy.

Sooomeone asked me why I started using this character as my secondary last time I visited, and this is like. Hella late. but they were wondering if the character compliments lucario as a secondary.

but it's like.
Nuh.
I just like greninja. >w> Pfft~

Wooord though.
So next tourney i'm gonna put my gren to the test and go solo with him at the next major and see how it goes. I might be number 1 on my states PR next PR that comes out, and i'd love to have greninja right up there next to who I use in tourneys. I'll make sure to do em justice. = w=

I've been lurking these boards btw, and let me say, you are easily one of the most informative bunch of people. <3 I learn a lot merely from reading a lot of what you guys talk about on here in regards to greninja tricks. S-so thank you everyone for indirectly being my senpai. >W>

Last edited:

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
I waited a long time for that shuriken buff but I moved this week and the network here is faulty. I haven't been able to play at all because it hitches.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
dthrow dtilt chaingrab works too much and it feels gross. people should stop getting hit by this lol. its great because usually greninja wouldn't get much reward from a grab at 0%, but now he can.

Calvonta

The secret weapon
This has probably been asked before but; why isn't the combo thread a sticky?

Combos are really important in order to master Greninja

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
So both my mains got buffed in this patch :4greninja::4megaman:. Good day to main these two, especially with a tournament coming up. Bout damn time they did something about the Shuriken lag.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
So what are some practical uses for Shadow Sneak? I want to use this move, but always get punished for it.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
So what are some practical uses for Shadow Sneak? I want to use this move, but always get punished for it.
I've seen it been used as a trap. Like for example, if you notice that your opponent always rolls forward after a fully charged water shuriken, I run with the shuriken and SS to catch their roll.

Space thing

Smash Apprentice
Air dodge trap, recovery option, surprise edgeguard option, occasional random ish mix up at kill percents (catches side stepping sometimes). You can do it after Dthrow if you think your opponent is going to air dodge, which you can condition really easily. Same with Uair at like 90% for the kill when Uair stops being guaranteed, but the opponent is still in a position where he wants to try to air dodge. You usually don't want to use it raw.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Counterpick your opponent to Omega Luigi's mansion so that the shadow sneak's hidden by the rail guard and darkness.

Shadow sneak then taunt during your shadow sneak while the opponent rushes you like an idiot to punish the "taunt." Best to do while they're recovering so you can position it correctly.

bop em :3
EZ free KO. <3

Last edited:

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
Counterpick your opponent to Omega Luigi's mansion so that the shadow sneak's hidden by the rail guard and darkness.

Shadow sneak then taunt during your shadow sneak while the opponent rushes you like an idiot to punish the "taunt." Best to do while they're recovering so you can position it correctly.

bop em :3
EZ free KO. <3
Going to abuse this brb

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I know it's not strictly the same combo but anyone want to come up with a Hoo Hah-esque name for Dthrow Fair?

I know not everyone likes hoo hah names but I think they're really silly and quite funny :p

You have obvious stuff like the Croak Croak or Ribbit Ribbit, I'm quite partial to the Super Effective myself. Although I feel like that works better for Charizard's new hoo hah for some reason.

Last edited:
Top Bottom