• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pond - Greninja General Discussion

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
honestly he got kinda lucky lol. like, the stars aligned. but that's cool.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
The Delfino win was just Delfino being Delfino, but he had at least one other legitimate win.

And it's really tough being Blue Kermit. Even knowing how good he is now and dealing with his flaws, I don't know if I'm really feeling it. He's becoming a much less appealing choice now that I can play Lucas. I don't know how to describe it. Some of his moves kind of feel like they're lacking utility? Like, none of them are moves you can just throw out for spacing or to get rid of someone, you need to know what each move does and just when to use it to the point that he feels more like a Street Fighter character than Ryu does. Up tilt is an anti-air or a punish when someone is literally touching you. Down tilt has extremely short range, what can it do other than punish? Forward tilt is finally useful, though still a bit unsafe and difficult to space with Greninja's slippery movement. Shadow Sneak, also basically only used as a punish/ risky mixup. Throw followups are basically nonexistent if the other player is smart enough to DI away and jump. I really wish he could keep up the pressure better.

Hydro Pump has plenty of uses but I don't feel like they're very well-documented right now. I just use it for a quick back and forth, or to knock people off of a platform.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Meanwhile the more I play Lucas the more appealing Greninja gets to me because I just find his moveset to flow so much better.

Seith

Smash Cadet
I killed someone off the top the other day by using Hydro Pump to hit their second jump and fling them ridiculously high in the sky. It can also be used as a movement option to mix up your opponent on occasion.
Water Shuriken provides amazing spacing so long as you're using it correctly.
I adore Greninjas moveset <3

Also, placed 3rd at a weekly last night using Greninja.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Ever since I've been to MVG Sandstorm, I've switched my main from Greninja to Mega Man and been going all Mega Man in most of my tournaments lately. (Probably) going to a slightly big tournament today, and I'm gonna try to bring some ninjitsu action to to the stage and officially bring my Greninja Back. Its showtime for my Blue Duo :4greninja::4megaman:, wish me luck!

Might throw a little bit of Pit in there too.. been practicing him a lot.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Kutthroats have set out to draw their character thanking Iwata for all he has done.

We invite you to do the same.

XcerosZeku

Smash Rookie
NNID
X-Zeku
3DS FC
2878-9650-2437
Iwata really did die early, he will be dearly missed as he has made a void in everyone's heart.

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
Went to a weekly tonight, got 7th. Definitely could've gotten at least 3rd if this was a regular tournament with the way I was playing, but of course it was customs and I got bopped by a Palutena

Good thing they won't be legal after Evo, because no character should have that many busted options. Like, I honestly feel bad for calling Luigi and Diddy free to learn, because custom Palutena blows them out of the water imo, so hard to punish

If the guy had gone Rosalina, who is his main, I would've destroyed him.

Last edited:

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
I mean the best I've ever done is 5th

I got 2nd once but it was a pretty small tourney. I'll count it but meh

Also I'm really happy to say I haven't been scared off Greninja in 3+ tournaments. Not that I have a super competent secondary (I have a really good Dedede, Mario, and Wario but wouldn't feel as confident with them), but the fact that none of Greninja's matchups really scare me anymore is awesome. I went 2-0 against Sheiks tonight, and also beat a Rosalina. I've done really well against Rosalinas lately, actually. Starting to overcome my worst MUs as a player means good things in the future

Actually, I just remembered one set where the guy wanted to play D3 dittos and I lost game 1, but I stayed D3 on his switch to Charizard because I liked the MU. I won game 2 and he threatened to pick Sheik on me if I went Greninja, otherwise he wanted a runback. I took the runback and won. So FOR THE MOST PART I haven't been scared off Greninja lmao

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Went to a weekly tonight, got 7th. Definitely could've gotten at least 3rd if this was a regular tournament with the way I was playing, but of course it was customs and I got bopped by a Palutena

Good thing they won't be legal after Evo, because no character should have that many busted options. Like, I honestly feel bad for calling Luigi and Diddy free to learn, because custom Palutena blows them out of the water imo, so hard to punish
Now now dude, don't john :p. At least remember that even with customs Palutena is Palutena and she's practically garbage without them.
  • Poor Neutral Game an very laggy grounded moveset. Most of her neutral game basically revolves around her jab
  • Tall Character, Lightweight, easy to hit and kill
  • A crappy projectile, that can easily be evaded and punished. She gets explosive flame with customs, but its still fairly situational. All 3 of her neutralBs are bad/risky tbh.
  • A counter that's slow to come out and doesn't even that much range
  • Just about every kill move is situational and leaves you wide open asking for punishment. Its just like :4duckhunt:: without custom moves, Palutena can't kill at all (and at least Duck Hunt has a great neutral and amazing damage output to compensate, along with actually good projectiles)
I don't mean to come off as being rude but if I were you, I would just accept that I was outplayed, admit defeat, and then move on and try and find ways to work around it the next time I meet them, taking what I learned from the defeat. At the very least I think it'd be fair to acknowledge that if customs are going away after EVO, the other players are likely to have a harder time (unless they play someone else too) themselves, as Palutena doesn't have all that much to offer over other fighters without them, and is arguably a bottom 15 character if she doesn't. Its not like she instantly becomes top 5 or even top 10 with them on, and if her customs were given to a character with better attributes, they'd be broken.

In my experience, we have this Palutena that I play against quite a bit both online and offline, and I usually get the better of him (although the most of the time I'm using :4megaman: instead of Gren since I made him my new main, but even so he admits its the perfect counter to him and his personal hardest matchup). And just at my last tournament I had to go against a Pikachu, a character I absolutely dread fighting, he rushed me down a lot with Fair (which is much safer on shield than I thought, and he'd always grab me just about anytime I blocked it) and I got combo'd for daaaaays by that guy, and getting paralyzed wth Thunder Wave made his combos an even bigger pain in the butt. I ended up winning 2-0 in the end, but he still came real close to beating me in each set and I overall found the fight more painful than fun, and I disliked this battle more than with the two people that actually beat me in the tournament,. But even though I hate the character and that battle was a nightmare, that just means I need to learn the matchup better and prepare for the next time I see one, in fact, that only means I should continue playing against him until it becomes bearable! Complaining about him isn't really doing me any favors and I'm positive I (unfortunately) haven't seen the last of him, I'm gonna end up playing one again sooner or later, and it's gonna be torture again with or without customs and I just gotta learn to deal with it. Hope you can see where I'm going with this story at least.

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
No I did acknowledge that. That's pretty much the basis of my argument, it's a bad character without customs and I'm 90% sure customs won't be a thing after EVO.

I was outplayed, but I had never played a custom Palutena before and I doubt I will again. I think it's fair in my case to say I probably could've done better than 7th if it were not customs. But it was. It's a semi-john, it's kind of a gimmick and it wasn't even the guy's main. I played his Rosalina after the tournament in friendlies and I was beating him solidly.

I guess I learned my lesson though, don't go to a customs tournament if you don't want to lose to customs

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
Custom Palutena is way too annoying to deal with. You can't block and punish because she can stop on a dime and get a grab. Can't approach very well because she has great (though predictable) defensive spacing with aerials and you might get hit by a sudden Superspeed. You really need to practice for that one specific matchup and it's really difficult to adapt to on the spot.

Jonarobin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PowerMiner
I got beat in at least one match on Smashboards against a no customs, there were just these jab-grab-aerial combos i wasn't expecting that came out really fast... It wasn't anything I'd ever experienced before.

Can't remember if I won the set or not, though.

I'd love to enter a tourney as Greninja but I haven't been able to go any yet... someday, I hope.

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
Hey Greninja players! We from the Ryu boards are making a doubles thread. The purpose of the thread is to find the best partner for Ryu. I'm going to invite as many people I can at once and get discussions going on all at once. We invite you to our dojo and hope you could help us discuss Greninja and Ryu in doubles. Thank you in advance!

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
Custom Palutena is way too annoying to deal with. You can't block and punish because she can stop on a dime and get a grab. Can't approach very well because she has great (though predictable) defensive spacing with aerials and you might get hit by a sudden Superspeed. You really need to practice for that one specific matchup and it's really difficult to adapt to on the spot.
Bin-effin'-go.

It wasn't til after the matches I realized some things I could've done differently. When you have superspeed coming at you from 5 different directions and lightweight grabs KOing you at 50 it's kinda hard to really adapt

Oh and as a fast faller her jab combos into her grab on us. So yeah, RIP.

Last edited:

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Like I told you when we played, you've improved a lot.
Yeah!

Plus, I actually felt on point for once. Gahaha. I took your idea of listening to more chilled, relaxing music, and I think it seriously helped a lot while I was playing.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Hey guys. I've been seriously considering picking up greninja as a main lately. He plays nothing like any of my other mains, and he's just really fun to use. I was wondering if ya'll could offer any beginner tips, direct me towards some useful guides, and what players I should look out for when searching for quality gameplay.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
When that Up-Air failed to kill my heart almost stopped. aMSa you're so lucky my god.

Those were the most interesting matches so far. Wonder what happened to aMSa's Pikachu lol.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Bump.

Hey guys. I've been seriously considering picking up greninja as a main lately. He plays nothing like any of my other mains, and he's just really fun to use. I was wondering if ya'll could offer any beginner tips, direct me towards some useful guides, and what players I should look out for when searching for quality gameplay.
I know ya'll are focused on the matches, but I'd really appreciate some help.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Bump.

I know ya'll are focused on the matches, but I'd really appreciate some help.
We have a combo thread so you should try to get the hang of controlling Greninja and getting used to performing his combos, that would probably be the best way to start. I don't know of many Greninja guides though I'm hoping to write one soon.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Well my day was productive. Got 3rd at my local going Greninja/Sonic today.

I need to learn to work under pressure. I keep giving matches away by freezing up and dropping stuff. Also get demotivated easy.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
For the past two days, I've been on SmashLadder quite a bit more often lately an taking it a bit more seriously. Previously I didn't visit the site all that much (wasting time in For Glory like an idiot) and when I did, I usually screwed around with my pockets, rather than the characters I actually main. Recently, I've been using my true blue duo :4megaman::4greninja: a bit more and over the past month I've climbed up my ranking to Silver I | 14 and am currently the 10th highest ranked Greninja there, and switching to my real characters has pushed this ranking up quite a bit! I noticed another Greninja from the same state as I am higher on the list at #5, and I barely know any people at all in my region who play Greninja! Even though I changed my main to Mega Man, I still intend to be the best Greninja in my region, and there's someone on the ladder higher than me?

It's on now! Totally gonna work to move even higher up now and focus on my duo more. He's played 9 more matches than I did though and his activity level is much higher than mine, if I just take care of both I should boost myself above him in no time. This should also help me escape from For Glory now so I can stop going there, looks like all I needed was a little more competition and an actual ranking system.

Out of curiosity, are you considering to have Greninja as your #1 true main, or as a side character? Because if its the latter, I'm gonna have to warn you that this character has a very very high learning curve and takes quite a lot of dedication to master, I don't think he'd work well as a side character if that's what you're aiming for. As you may have noticed there aren't all that many high level players using him and in general he is a pretty uncommon sight in tournaments, and there's quite a good reason for that: He's an extremely precise character where almost every move you make has to be very well calculated an has to have a good motivation behind it, and you gotta keep a cool head and try to maintain a lead throughout the match, since the slightest mistakes can lead to total chaos and and cause you to fall apart and if your opponent kills you first you're going to have a very hard time making a comeback as he is a little reliant on the rage effect for kills (although if you kill the opponent first and get the lead, you're in a huge advantage). You can still take a few risks with him but even so, you wanna make sure that any possible punishment will be as minor as possible, and you might yourself having to put a lot on the line when you take them. Maybe not the #1 most difficult character, but imo he's definitely up there along with :4peach::4littlemac::4megaman::4shulk::4robinm::4wiifit::4bowserjr::4pacman::4duckhunt::4ryu:.

I must admit, I do personally secondary Greninja myself instead of main him thugh, my real main being Mega Man, another character I consider very technical. But in my case, I played and mained Greninja first , picked up Mega a little late at the end of last year, and didn't officially change mains until a few months ago; but did so as I personally feel Mega Man is a slightly better character and is a tad easier to use. Not really saying much though, since both of them take a hell of a lot of work to get good with and you'll likely find yourself losing a lot with them before you start winning. It was a risky move I made when I first did it, and even then its a risky move now. I easily enjoy these two more than everybody else, they'e very satisfying to win with, and I personally view them both as lower high tier characters with few truly great or truly awful matchups; but working with these two characters has been one long hell of a road, and losing or struggling them feels a little exhausting sometimes (Greninja especially), depressing even.

Case in point, I'll can see if I can find any cool info to help you but first I have to ask: Are you sure you still want to do this? He's a lot of fun to use alright and he's a good character for the most part, but its gonna take a lot and a lot of effort to put into him before you start getting results, and if you don't intend to replace your current main you're unlikely to have enough to practice said effort and it might not be worth it. An even if you plan to make him your new main, its still going to be a very long road in general, and you're going to end up losing a lot before you start winning. Its good to know what you're getting yourself into before you do it.

Top Bottom