• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pond - Greninja General Discussion

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I wish we would, but we're not exactly trailblazers in the MN scene. I'd love to bust out Shifting Shuriken in a tournament.
As in participants/TOs aren't interested, or just nobody bothering to set it up?

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Remember that Machoke is a background Pokemon in Pokken!

We still have a shot, as Greninja is a perfect fit for Pokken.

Marilink

Smash Journeyman
As in participants/TOs aren't interested, or just nobody bothering to set it up?
Combination of both. I don't think any TO's in MN will be willing to set up Customs tournaments without some larger tourneys doing it first, and there is some apprehension on the part of the players because the most vocal MN smashers hate anything that isn't Melee.

I do know there are plans for a Smash 4-exclusive tournament that will have Customs as a side event (as well as an Amiibo tournament), and that will be in April. Hopefully that will cause it to gain some traction.

I'm really hoping that EVO experiments with Custom moves, but I'm not hopeful. That's probably the only way they will really get into the scene.

What are your thoughts on customs, Lavani?

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Hmm, I see.

What are your thoughts on customs, Lavani?
Generally it brings the low-mid tiers up to high-top, and the high-top doesn't really get much better (Rosalina gets some crazy customs, but other characters also get anti-Luma customs and Rosalina mains that actually play in customs tournaments tell me it's more or less a wash), so as far as I'm concerned it can only be a good thing.

The main arguments I can see against them are having to learn what all the customs do (384 moves across the cast isn't trivial, even if they're just variations on the default in most cases) and having to unlock them. The first argument isn't quite as bad as it sounds considering a lot of customs are garbage, and many characters actually still prefer their default sets. The second argument is solved quite neatly by Amazing Ampharos' Official Standard Custom Moveset Project.

I mean, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter much to me if customs become the norm or not, just...in short, no customs = more Diddy.

Marilink

Smash Journeyman
Good thoughts.

I'd really love to implement customs because I feel like it is the thing that will differentiate Smash 4 from past iterations more than any other mechanic. The more Smash 4 can become its own game without having to constantly live under Melee's shadow, the better.

And I love both games, don't get me wrong. I just want them to coexist, which I think customs would help with a lot.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I can kinda understand why if they don't include Greninja in Pokkén. They could just want to give some other Pokémon the spotlight considering Greninja already has Smash as his claim to fame. Though considering that so far the game is full of fan-favorites and Machamp, Greninja being there is still very likely.

Give me Golurk and I'm down though.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I'd like for a meta game for both customs and non customs. That way everyone is happy.

Pokkén looks a lot like the Naruto Storm games, with supports and whatnot. I hope that Swampert and Milotic are in Pokkén.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Pretty sure y'all know about this already but I was messing around in training and decided to record it anyway:

Not sure if there's a way to turn it into a kill combo, I couldn't get fsmash or usmash to true combo, and much to my dismay footstool>dair isn't guaranteed.

Coffee™

I need it....
@ BlinkIV BlinkIV Inbox me your number.

Pretty sure y'all know about this already but I was messing around in training and decided to record it anyway:

Not sure if there's a way to turn it into a kill combo, I couldn't get fsmash or usmash to true combo, and much to my dismay footstool>dair isn't guaranteed.
When you opponent is falling use Dsmash.

Last edited:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Seeing the brutality of the Sheik matchup with Blink vs Chudat hurt. She has much faster, safer aerials and an commits so much less than Greninja.

Good try though @ BlinkIV BlinkIV . I enjoyed watching you play and you were one of the only Greninja players there.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
So, I'm at Apex atm. Not like in pools or anything, but I ended up getting invited by a friend on a whim.

I think I just missed Coffee by a few minutes because I saw an empty set up with one of the tags as "Coffee." .-.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Yes he won! Those Up-Smashes and the upwards-aimed Substitute were so hype!!

Makani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CLF.Makani
"this greninja on for glory is the goat, perfect pivoting and **** LOL so fun so far still playing him" - Allly

This guy...first thing on my FB feed this morning...lol
I ain't as great as he makes out, I can PP but not consistently.

Twixer

Smash Rookie
NNID
Twiixer
I play against Makani's Greninja a lot and see a lot of his matches.

He destroys my anus and a lot of others in FG.

D

Deleted member

A bit late but nice work out there, Coffee! I've learned a thing or two from watching you play. Same goes for you, Blink. :)

Coffee™

I need it....
Will report back later....but thanks guys. How was the stream? I hope i at least opened a few ppls eyes about how good the ninja is. Me and blink are out tho. I lost to Choco and then dumbSonic stuff. but sync and amsa are still in so we've got some rep in there

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Sync is a Texas Greninja. I'm rooting for all of you, good luck out there.

*is still catching up to missed stream highlights*

Thanks for the link btw @x Snoopy

Guys, I just texted Sync and he told me that he's in the bracket for doubles with aMSa!
Hypehypehype

This will be the first time I see Greninja in dubs lol. Hopefully we can catch them on the stream. He'll let me know when they're up and I'll update here

Last edited by a moderator:

BlinkIV

Avenger
I screwed up against Chu, stage fright hurts.

I drowned because I made 2 severe technical errors and died at 90 each game on last stock. (Rage DK b-throw).

Bleh.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
I screwed up against Chu, stage fright hurts.

I drowned because I made 2 severe technical errors and died at 90 each game on last stock. (Rage DK b-throw).

Bleh.
I just watched the stream of two games you had with him. Chu's Sheik was completely brutal, it was so hard to give you some space to rest yourself. Good effort though, and don't be discouraged. Practice a lot of friendlies while you're there as well, and keep it up, Blink. Your Greninja was fun to watch, don't let Chu get you down.

Last edited:

BlinkIV

Avenger
Thanks, Mocha. I'm keeping up and playing a lot of friendlies right now. I just gotta overcome the stage thing.

I'll keep you and the others updated with mms and how I do. :)

Top Bottom